Start by marking “Never Retreat” as Want to Read:
Never Retreat

Never Retreat

A feisty single mom clashes with an ex-military corporate star at a retreat in the wild Colorado mountains. But when a raging flood threatens their survival, they learn the true meaning of partnership.

Years ago, Ramona ‘Raye’ Soto faced harsh reality when a roving con man knocked her up. Now, at thirty-something, she’s concentrating on her career in a major telecommunicati
ebook, First, 260 pages
Published March 15th 2018 by Imajin Books

To ask other readers questions about Never Retreat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Retreat

Start your review of Never Retreat
Nursebookie
Feb 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Never Retreat by Bonnie McCune

I enjoyed reading this two flawed yet lovable characters Raye and Des, that Bonnie McCune gifted us through her amazing talent of storytelling in this page turner of a story.

I loved that the story was complex and relevant while also touching upon important topics such as race, competitiveness in the workforce and how people climb the corporate ladder.

Mi enjoyed the banter and dialogue, but most of all how the story between two most unlikely couple face their attra
Anna
Jun 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Thanks to the author for providing a copy of this book via Netgalley.

It was solid 4 stars before this coward hero acted like an ass.
I think this book is mostly about surviving in wilderness, its adventure book. Or you can call it clean romance, there wasnt any "hot" scene at all.
The MC's were both strong, celibate, i liked them both until the HERO acted like a coward. He redempted himself quickly
Kathleen Duhamel
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object? Reading Bonnie McCune’s entertaining and thoughtful novel Never Retreat reminded me a bit of the old paradox.
Raye is a Latino woman and single mom who’s worked hard to gain a toehold on the corporate ladder. She’s proud, strong, and determined not to let a man take away her hard-won independence. She is instantly put off by Des, the company’s new head of security, characterizing him as macho and self-absorbed. However, there’s a
Wendy Livingstone
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Single mom Raye, and ex military Des, find themselves partners at a corporate mountain retreat. This is a well written story which is fast paced, and with unique and relatable characters, which all had me totally enthralled throughout this addictive page turner, and hats off to this talented author for her attention to detail and beautifully descriptive wording. I highly recommend for all.
Lynette Sofras
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was very pleased to receive an ARC of ‘Never Retreat’ because I had read and enjoyed other books by this author, in particular the excellent ‘A Saint Comes Stumbling In’.
‘Never Retreat’ takes us into the corporate world in which a select twenty five key workers are sent on a mountain retreat for team-building/survival skills. Jobs and promotions are at stake, as well as a substantial cash prize. No one needs this prize more than Raye and Des for important family reasons. These two – at logger
Sally Mieske
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Never Retreat is a fast paced read told from third person POV, with dual POV. Set in the corporate world, Never Retreat, delves into the challenges that employees face. Racism, sexual harassment and bullying are brought to light in very tasteful ways.

Raye is a single mother who has had her fair share of dating the wrong men. Raye comes off as very stand-off-ish. She doesn’t want to repeat the mistakes she made with her alcoholic, lazy ex-husband. She is determined to make it by herself, she doe
Victoria
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Raye and Des are partners at a mountain retreat where rumors are flying about layoffs and program cuts. In the team building exercises their company has but together, the best and the worst comes out in the twenty-five members of the group. A large cash award goes to the winner. In the final event, the clearing a trail for easy access, nature delivers a challenge no one expected.

This is a face paced novel with multifaceted aspects. The role of women in the work force, the view of others who are
Michelle
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading this as a strong woman and someone who has worked in an office environment with all the office politics and complications therein. There was much woven into Raye's story that had me nodding, from her fierce independence to her initial reaction to Des, a man who appeared to be macho and sexist and not someone Raye would normally engage with at all, except to argue. The premise of spending time together during an office retreat (which are usually disastrous in *other* ways!) was cl ...more
Barbara
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing

In Never Retreat, the author shows a great knowledge and sensitivity toward nature—both human and the natural environment. As an avid hiker and backpacker, the beauty, awe, and ferocity of Colorado’s mountains and weather rang true to me. And in addition, the advice on mountain survival skills is a great bonus! Though her characters, the author leads us into many of the sensitive cultural, social, and political issues that we struggle to make sense of-- poverty, war, racism, sexism, domestic vio
Jemi Fraser
This is a great story!
Raye & Des are different in so many ways: culture, personalities, and approach to life & work. They are pitted against each other and their co-workers in a bid to win a large bonus. The bonus would mean a lot to both of them because of complex family situations. During the retreat where the competition for the bonus is to take place, they find they are also taking on Mother Nature and she is determined to come out on top!
Watching Des & Raye figure out each step along the wa
Brett Wallach
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This wonderful novel harkens back to African Queen, where a life and death adventure brings two disparate, desperate people together romantically, and that kind of story never gets old! A must for lovers of middle-aged romance, snarky office politics, and Tracy-Hepburn battle of the sexes banter.
Kim McMahill
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book had everything I enjoy in a novel-action, adventure, succeeding against the odds, and finding love through shared challenges. The story is about a hard-working single mom who faces adversity head-on, learns from her mistakes, and perseveres. If you like stories that don’t shy away from social issues, this is the book for you.
Emma Johnston
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An enjoyable read. Not my usual kind of book but I still really enjoyed it
Krista Redlinger
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
adventure + romance = a great vacation/weekend read
Christine Woinich
Chemistry between Raye and Des made this a story worth reading. I loved Raye's desire to better her life and her son's, giving up her personal life for the most part. Des had reached that time in his life that he should settle down, and the attraction to Raye was surprising but welcome. There were moments of sighing and tearing up as they dealt with their pasts. I recommend this story.

I received a copy of this story through Enticing Journey Book Promotions, and this is my unsolicited review.
Joan Friend
Nov 13, 2018
Bonnie McCune
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Sibongile
Mar 19, 2018
Virena M Baker
is currently reading it
Jan 04, 2019

• The Splendid and the Vile: A Saga of Churchill, Family, and Defiance During the Blitz
  • The Boy from the Woods
  • Murmur of Love (Texas Solace #1)
  • Wolf: A Reed Security Romance
  • Alpha's Bane (Shifter Fight Club #2)
  • Valentine
  • One Winter's Night
  • Earl of Scarborough (Wicked Earls' Club #21)
  • King Henry's Choice
  • Back to You this Christmas
  • Viola (The Widows of Birch Harbor, #6)
  • At the Heart of the Stone
  • A Perfect Mistake
  • New Year's with the Single Dad (The Single Dads of Seattle Book 6)
  • Christmas with You (Four Irish Brothers Winery, #3)
  • Becca Fisher Chasing Heaven Boxed Set
  • Everything's Better with Lisa (Everything’s Better #3)
  • Big Summer
Bonnie McCune has been writing since age ten, when the Saturday Evening Post rejected a submission. She lives in Colorado and is the author of novels, novellas and short stories. Her entire family is book-mad. Her interest in writing facilitated her career in nonprofits doing public and community relations. Simultaneously, she’s been a free-lance feature writer. Her secret love is live theater. Ha ...more

News & Interviews