Start by marking “Dark Winter (Captain Jake Mahegan #5)” as Want to Read:
Dark Winter (Captain Jake Mahegan #5)

Dark Winter

(Captain Jake Mahegan #5)

In a blistering scenario almost too close to the headlines, former Brigadier General Anthony J. Tata delivers a chillingly authentic glimpse of tomorrow’s wars—and the anonymous hackers who hold the fate of the world at their fingertips . . .

By the time anyone realizes what’s happening, it is too late. A dark network of hackers has infiltrated the computers of the U.S. mi
Published October 30th 2018 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about Dark Winter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Winter

The Real Book Spy
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When a sinister plot to start the next world war kicks off, it’s up to former Delta Force operator Jake Mahegan to save the day in the latest heart-thumping thriller from Anthony J. Tata.

After the events of Direct Fire (2017), Jake is vacationing on a North Carolina island with his girlfriend, Cassie Bagwell, when the crap first hits the fan. The two are laying low, enjoying some much needed and well-earned R&R when they’re pulled back in and told of the mayhem erupting around the world. No
Stuart Ashenbrenner
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a fascinating and exciting read!

First, thank you to NetGalley for the chance to read this book in exchange for an honest review.

Brigadier General A.J. Tata has written an amazing book. Coming off of the thrilling novel Direct Fire, the fourth installment in the series, Tata has returned with Jake Mahegan for a riveting look at the current state of our country.

After a vacation with his girlfriend is cut short, Mahegan immediately dives right back into action. This time, Tata has created a p
Ernest L Isbell
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great action. The saga continues

The characters actions are right on. Mahegan stays on track saves the US from an armageden attack that only he can do.
Ryan Hillis
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great thriller about Cyberwarfare .
Ben Romero
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Could not put it down!

Another superb read. Thanks Tony, what is next. Looking forward to more of your stories.
Will discuss this with our golf group today.
Glenda Bixler
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-books
Read the Headlines? Then you Need to Read This Book!

Jim Morton
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Best book ever from a great writer. Well done General.
Bill Donhiser
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very timely techno-thriller. The main bad guy is a Mark Zuckerberg, Jeff Bezos, Alphabet Corp mashup. Intriguing and difficult to put down. AJ Tata does it again.
Randy
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read again! Can't wait for the next in series.
Helen
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ian Gorman has parlayed himself into an Uber rich businessman in the world of retail and technology, bigger and richer than google, amazon etc combined. This is one of the monsters in a j Tatas newest book starring jake mahegan. There are plenty of other monsters including the Syrians, the Russians and the Koreans. All put together in one of the scariest plots I have ever read where the worlds computers are controlled by one man and a brilliant team of code writers, hackers and artificial intell ...more
Bobbie
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good book. I enjoy the Jake Mahegan character. He has the potential to be a Mitch Rapp or Jack Reacher but he's not quite there yet
Dwight Simmons
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
World War III waged by the computers but stopped by the Captain and his crew. Not an original storyline but the writing and narrator (audiobook) made it believable.
Charles Lawrence
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Technology & Evil

Fair premise based on today headlines and fears connected to nukes and technology, the internet and an evil mine. A little slow on the build up but the second half of the book was enjoyable.
Benjamin  Thomas
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing

This book was phenomenal. For Jake Mahegan and his group of highly trained operatives, the stakes couldn't be higher. A maniacal, narcissistic genius'; with global influence, creates an unbelievable plot to destroy the world as we know it and recreate it with himself. He has the perfect leverage to manipulate the worlds superpowers and create chaos. The writing was brilliant from beginning to end. Great villains with quirky motivations, personalities that seemed all to real.

John Purvis
Nov 27, 2018 rated it liked it
"Dark Winter" eBook was published in 2018 and was written by Anthony J. Tata (https://www.ajtata.com). Mr. Tata has published nine novels. This is the fifth in his "Jake Mahegan Thriller" series.

I received an ARC of this novel through https://www.netgalley.com in return for a fair and honest review. I categorize this novel as mostly ‘PG’ because it contains scenes of Violence. The story is set in the contemporary US, Russia, North Korea, and Iran.

Foreign-based hackers penetrate the US military
Ric Ulloa
Dec 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I have to admit that I was/am a bit disappointed in the entire story/premise of A.J.Tata's latest Jake Mahegan novel. I don't know why, but the book seemed to be "grasping" for definition the entire time I was trudging through it. I have enjoyed the prior stories, possibly because they didn't reach so far and so wide as to make Jake into a super-hero. Sorry, this one just didn't keep me as interested. I'm hoping the next novel is a tick upward, as the past novels were.
JeanD
Feb 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I had a little bit of trouble getting into this book but enjoyed it once the story started moving along. Scary how easily something like this could actually happen. I'd read other works by this author. Think I might have enjoyed it more had I started at the beginning of the series with the main character.
Bo Stone
Feb 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
Total failure

Sorry but as a software programmer and avid reader I couldn't finish this otter rubbish. Awful, absolutely unrealistic plot with cartoonish, flat characters. But then I always hated comic books
CATHY T
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another great jake Mohegan book

This book is nonstop action with a great plot as an added bonus. Recommended to anyone who likes nonstop action.
Alan
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have enjoyed all the books in this series. I just couldn’t get into this one for some reason.
Pamela
Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Too much military jargon for me.
Cathy
Feb 09, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
this book was just bad. to complicated. in great depth on things that were confusing and did not matter. adding the romance piece weakened the story. this may be the end of me reading this series.
Joe
Mar 02, 2019
Emily Smith
Nov 13, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Tony writes thriller fiction. Kensington Books releases the first in the Chayton "Jake" Mahegan series February '15, titled Foreign and Domestic.

Captain Jake Mahegan (6 books)
  • Foreign and Domestic  (Captain Jake Mahegan, #1)
  • Three Minutes to Midnight (Captain Jake Mahegan, #2)
  • Besieged (Captain Jake Mahegan, #3)
  • Direct Fire (Captain Jake Mahegan, #4)
  • Double Crossfire (Captain Jake Mahegan #6)