Start by marking “The Seer's Curse” as Want to Read:
The Seer's Curse

The Seer's Curse

Orleigh is cursed. Or so the other villagers believe. With each harvest worse than the last, something must be done. And so they consult the Seer. A deal is struck: the village will thrive once more, but in return, Orleigh must be sacrificed to the Earth God, Teymos.

Years later, when Orleigh’s closest friend, Piprin, learns that Orleigh might still be alive, he
Published April 28th 2018 by Matador

To ask other readers questions about The Seer's Curse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seer's Curse

Start your review of The Seer's Curse
Kal ★ Reader Voracious
"Many paths, one fate."
The Seer's Curse is a fantasy MG/YA tale that takes the two main characters, Orleigh and Piprin, on a journey of self-discovery and acceptance. The Seer's Curse is a story about getting fate back on track, and everyone having a role to play in that. The overarching theme that I took away was that every person has a role to play in this predestined journey called life, and that things are more complicated than meets the eye.
"Focus on what you are, not on what you are not, and b
Cheryl M-M
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Seer has his own agenda, which is kind of ironic really when you think of how so-called mediums can convince their clients to lean towards certain decisions. Self-fulfilling prophecies used on an entire village, it’s quite a clever ruse. Unfortunately his plan includes having an innocent child isolated from her friends, family and village.

With a mass or herd mentality the rumour of a supposed curse gains a lot of speed and the Chinese whisper communication method helps to flame t
Laney
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Meh. It was ok.
visesten
Mar 16, 2018 rated it liked it
First of all, thanks to Netgalley for sending me this ARC for an honest review. I liked this book as a whole, but didn't love it. It was generally a slow read for me, but the characters were intriguing as well as the world setting and that kept me going. It’s the kind of story where you piece things together little by little and there is a Greek mythology touch to it, which was an unexpected but nice touch. I also liked that the female lead is a rather strong one, even hotheaded, and calls peopl ...more
Melanie Thomas
May 06, 2018 rated it liked it
This was an intricate storyline, with characters being moved about like chess pieces to get them in place for big reveals and shocks for the reader. The integration of the myths from the world the writer has created was a nice touch and lent it a sense of gravitas and history whilst also allowing the writer to both guide the characters and also give the reader hints and clues for what was to come.

Orleigh is a fierce protagonist and I can see her becoming a role model for girls if, as
Josie
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A new fave! I bought a signed copy from the author's website. The cover is so cool. I love that all the little pictures on the front are from the story.

I couldn't put the book down, and I've already flicked through and read some parts again. I think I missed a lot the first time round- there's just so much detail that makes the world feel so real.

I really connected with the characters, especially Orleigh. It's one of those books that you really root for the characters.

I liked that all the myt
Phil Thompson
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an entrancing story made more so by the original myths, which really make it really standout.
The characters are real and well-developed. The world is rich and immersive.
I read the book twice and picked up more detail on the second reading. It's the kind of book that you find something new every time that you read it. You can tell that a lot of thought has gone into every detail.
A recommended read to all ages.
CJ
I found the main story to be quite basic and a wee bit dull, but the mythology stories were lovely. I would read a whole book of those.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publishers for the reading copy.
Lou Adams
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It's so well written and the myths are fantastic!
I really felt for Piprin and Orleigh.
The pace was gentle at first, but all of a sudden, it just swept me away!
This is a great book to read again and again. And I can't wait for the sequel.
Gemma Spencer
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Having always loved 'fantasy stories' since I was a child, having them read to me and later buying and borrowing them in their hundreds, I found 'The Seer's Curse' was hard to put down at bedtime, reading until the early hours. The friendship between Orleigh and Piprin, village childhood companions, leads Piprin to search for Orleigh many years after she disappears, in the Land of Gods, traversing strange landscapes, meeting beings on the way and feeling magic all around, while evil forces circl ...more
Sonja
May 11, 2018
Lindea
May 03, 2018
J.J. Faulks
Feb 28, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Alessandra Varriale
Linda
Apr 27, 2018
Justine
Apr 27, 2018
J.J. Faulks was born and educated in Oxford. She studied medicine, specialising in Neuroscience, at Cambridge University. The Seer’s Curse is her debut book.