Start by marking “The Dungeon Con: One Foot in the Grave (Hank Grave, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Dungeon Con: One Foot in the Grave (Hank Grave, #1)

The Dungeon Con: One Foot in the Grave (Hank Grave, #1)

Have you ever had one of those days? Today is that day for Hank Graves, local game master, and all around good guy. But no one has ever had quite the day that he is setting off for when he takes his girlfriend off for a weekend getaway to role play and cosplay at this year's Dungeon Con. No sir, today is a day the likes of which Hank Grave will never forget and neither wil ...more
Published February 16th 2018

To ask other readers questions about The Dungeon Con, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dungeon Con

Start your review of The Dungeon Con: One Foot in the Grave (Hank Grave, #1)
John
Feb 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Prepare to grind

This book needs a fair amount of TLC from an editor. There are spelling, grammar and formatting issues that detract from the flow of the story and it’s comprehension. This first book also doesn’t finish a story arc - if a goal is accomplished it doesn’t reward the main character emotionally or even physically.

I hope the author’s second book improves his skills and our experience.
Vincent Archer
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: litrpg
A curious blend of standard fantasy with dungeoncore-type narrative.

The thing is, it won't appeal to dungeon core fans, since the dungeon part is relatively smaller than typical for the whole. There's only a single dive, at the beginning, and the dungeon itself has swift extermination as a purpose. So we're left with building, except it doesn't help, and the rest of the story, which is very, very simplistic.

In addition, there's a lot of editing needed. At one point, a ghost is completely ignoran
Davidl Campbell'Sr
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OH My Goodness!!!?

I've never read a Novel like this before concerning good and evil??this Author pulled this story Off that I want to read it again it catches you from the start with it's action that never stop can't wait to continue this exciting story!?😆
Stephen
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it.

Great way to spend a day the magic system is interesting and fun. I hope to read many more books from Ms Myers in the future. This one is great.
K.J. Simmill
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hank's plan had been simple, take his girlfriend to Dungeon Con, celebrate their one year anniversary, and enjoy the festivities. It was barely lunchtime not only had his relationship come to an abrupt end, but he had been tricked into signing a contract by a being from another realm seeking someone to build their master's dungeon. The thing was, he wasn't exactly the dungeon master the imp had thought, but inadvertently he had returned with something much more powerful. A human not afflicted by ...more
Jonathan
Aug 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting

The story was captivating, the world was fun, but the writing needed work. Commas were consistently misplaced, possessives were ignored or abused, and homophone misuse was rampant (constant use of “your” instead of “you’re”). The story is clearly part of a larger story, yet there is no plot self contained plot to the book. There is a good bit of world history and redundant conversation that doesn’t serve to further the story but only to illustrate how “real” the world is or to give t
Steve
Oct 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I quite liked the general story and the major characters, so that's worth three stars right there. The book still needs polishing though, specifically a thorough editing, and that keeps it from being great.

For the author: there are a lot of times the wrong word is used (wrack for rack, wraith for wrath, etc.) and odd placement of commas. Another thing is repeating something that was just described in the story as one of the characters fills someone in on those events. Fixing those issues would
Shieldmaiden Darcy
Apr 26, 2018 rated it liked it
The story is great, but the editing is bad.

This book has actual, unique ideas. I liked it.

The editing was a nightmare. The first two or so chapters were done well, but the middle had way too many commas. After all those commas, the last few chapters seemed to have little to no editing and felt like the first draft, which had very few commas and they were all in the wrong places. I felt like a translator reading this.

Not counting the editing, this story is a solid 4 stars. I enjoy “trapped in f
Robert
Jul 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
Amateur at best. Purposely hurting people's brains at worst

This author has some great ideas for books. The problem is, he writes like he hasn't graduated 3rd grade. I can't help but think this book is this horrible on purpose. To add to the unbelievability of this is, this book has supposedly been edited several times! Pure insanity.

This author's grasp of the rules of writing and the English language are on par with a stereotypical hillbilly strumming a banjo in a coal mine in West Virginia.

For
Lyndon
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: litrpg-read
Hall

First... The book is quite good, and I enjoyed the story very much and look forward to its sequel hopefully with less Francis.

Second... This book murders the English language. The most grating of which to me was the repeated usage of 'hall' instead of 'haul'. That is by no means the worse offender in this book, just the one that triggered me the most. Spelling and grammer issues abound in this unedited mess masquerading as a book, but alas if we're to find new and exciting LitRPG to read we
Kate Sexstone
May 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Overall this probably deserves a 4 star rating however, stupid spelling mistakes are very distracting.
dragged not drug
haul not hall
reneged not renigged

Slightly different take on the normal story line you would expect and is worth the read. Enough detail and progression without giving away the end of the story. I look forward to reading the next one.

Please have someone do one last final edit.
Ender
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was really interesting and can't wait for the next one. Its really not a typical Dungeon book nor a litRPG as there is little leveling or battling going on. But it is a very interesting story with interesting protagonists and the battle of light vs dark is really well done. Yes there are some syntax, spelling and grammar errors but if you can see past them you will really enjoy the book.
Dark Ape
Jun 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
Didn't care for the girlfriend's viewpoint in the story, found the plot between her and the MC cliche, and the overall tone throughout most of it was too negative for me. Once I put the book down for the day I found it hard to pick back up, and even then I found myself reading less before putting it down again before repeating the next day.
Ayende Rahien
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent story, bad copyediting

I really enjoyed the story, but the editing made it really hard to read.
Anything such as your vs you're, switching between first person and second person narrative in the same paragraph and really odd way of quoting made it a chore to read through it.
This needs to be cleaned up significantly
Matt
Mar 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
Amazingly bad

I cannot remember the last time I didn’t finish a book I started. I couldn’t force my way through the horrible grammar and spelling mistakes. I’m sorry but this is horrible.
Adam Shook
Mar 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Good story

But it's really rough maybe he can get an editor to help on book 2. I enjoyed the dungeon design but he seemed to get distracted at times in the story. It's not litrpg or gamelit despite where it started off no clear leveling
Travis
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Grammar issues abound, but this is a decent read. It isn't LitRPG or even gamelit, but amazon recommended it to me with other LitRPG titles, so mayve its classification was computer generated or something.
Regardless, I liked it well enough even if it won't win any awards.
Colleen Collura
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great rpg lit!

Great set up, and great characters and great story. If you have the soul of a power gamer, this story is for you.
Johnny
Mar 09, 2018 rated it did not like it

3% was all I could take.
This needs editing in the worst way.
For all I know this could be a wonderfully creative book, but it's so badly written as to stop me in my tracks.
Frank
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a very interesting first book.

I look forward to where Marty takes this series.

Lot's of time describing planning out a dungeon and perils therein.

micthompson
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read

It bought the whole D andD gaming experience to life

Really enjoyed the read so far. And look forward to the balance of the trilogy
Noah Merle
Apr 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
Fix your syntax!

The quote marks are constantly misplaced.

Mark said " I don't want to be a necromancer. And walked over to Marcy " it's proably a bad idea".

THAT is just constant. If your readers have to play the "what the hell is this writer trying to say, and who the hell is even talking right now?" game, then you are not doing your job as a writer, and NEVER should expect people to buy a clearly unfinished piece.
michael hooper
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it

Fast paced page turner with interesting characters that you can instantly root for. Definitely want to read more adventures of Hank can't wait for the next book
Zach Gusler
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nice

Well written and thought out. Good book will get the next one when it comes out. Would recommend others to read.
George Love
Mar 29, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Get on the Mailing List for updates and extras 1 1 May 31, 2018 07:18AM
New and improved content with editing 5/6/18 1 1 May 07, 2018 05:26AM
there is an update available to correct missing content 1 1 Feb 21, 2018 04:44AM

• Initializing (Archeologist Warlord, #1)
  • The Station Core (Station Cores, #1)
  • Dungeon Deposed (Dungeon Deposed, #1)
  • The Legacy Builder (Barakdor, #1)
  • Bone Dungeon (Elemental Dungeon #1)
  • Playing For Keeps (Alpha World, #4)
  • Blademage Beastmaster (Blademage, #1)
  • Cities in Chains (The System Apocalypse #4)
  • Through the Belly of the Beast (Underworld, #2)
  • The Trash Tier Dungeon
  • Fractured Spirit (Alpha World Book 5)
  • Coast on Fire (The System Apocalypse, #5)
  • Rogue Dungeon (The Rogue Dungeon #1)
  • Downfall And Rise (Challenger's Call, #1)
  • Arcane Transmogrification (Pentacle, #2)
  • Barrow King (The Realms, #1)
  • Oblivion's Blade (Endless Online #1)
  • Alpha Testing: Angromoria LitRPG Adventure
Hello I am Marty Myers

I have worked all my life trying many different jobs. I have been a cook at a dozen different restaurants, a restaurant manager at two different chains, an appliance delivery man, a floral delivery man, a janitor, a factory worker in a half dozen different companies, a farmhand, a tour guide and a contractor. So I have a wide range of experience to drawl my ideas and characte

News & Interviews