Start by marking “This Splintered Silence” as Want to Read:
This Splintered Silence

This Splintered Silence

Lindley Hamilton has been the leader of the space station Lusca since every first-generation crew member on board, including her mother, the commander, were killed by a deadly virus.

Lindley always assumed she’d captain the Lusca one day, but she never thought that day would come so soon. And she never thought it would be like this—struggling to survive every day, learning
Published November 13th 2018 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about This Splintered Silence, please sign up.
Kayla Thanks so much, Belle! This one is an unrelated standalone with no connection to The Sandcastle Empire—can't wait to share more details soon! <3…moreThanks so much, Belle! This one is an unrelated standalone with no connection to The Sandcastle Empire—can't wait to share more details soon! <3(less)

Start your review of This Splintered Silence
 Amelia
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before I start with the review, can I just say that this whole situation reminded me a bit of The 100? The MC is a strong girl who has to become a leader because there are no adults around and she has to make all sorts of tough choices - sometimes she's right, sometimes she's not - and she has a close circle of friends who help her, but don't always agree with her. Clarke is that you?

And yes, of course this review will only contain The 100 GIFs because I'm dedicated like that.

First of all, let
Rebecca McNutt
I'm not a big science fiction reader, but since This Splintered Silence featured elements of the mystery and thriller genres in it, I thought it might be an interesting read. It definitely was, and Olson's ability to evoke sympathy for her characters and give them more emotional depth than what I find typical in sc-fi made it even more intriguing to me. The romance aspect sort of took away from the plot itself, I found, but still gave the book another layer to the story.

I did find the book very
PB
"I think most things begin to fracture without anyone realizing it’s even happening, a sort of splintered silence that gives way all at once under too much weight, and without warning."

Themes: survival, friendships, relationships, growing up together, evolving bonds, science, technology, space station, leadership, stepping up, grief, trust, asking for help, virus, mutation, murder, contagion, space, stress, pressure

Nothing quite like what I expected, This Splintered Silence is a surprising mix o
Faye, la Patata
First book read this year, and it was quite an underwhelming read.

Unfortunately, I didn't get too invested in it so I probably won't be giving a hardcore, gif-infested, raging review, but here's basically it:

BOOOORIIIIIIIING.

I'm not sure if it was simply the writing, or if it's just the main character's voice that kept repeating their sentiments with the same words in different patterns every time. You know, when they feel this ONE SPECIFIC THING, but they just had to go about it dramatically fo
Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)
2.5 stars...

Waaayy too much of Lindley feeling sorry for herself, whining and running away, hiding out to get it away from it all. She spent more time doing that then anything else. If the author would have cut at least half of that needless, self-reflection crap out and focused on the actual story, it would have been a decent book.
Maggie ☘
Unfortunately, this was a letdown.

This Splintered Silence is a standalone story set in space, there is a deadly virus going around (I should have read the blurb, b/c if I did I porbably wouldn't have started this book rn) the only surving ones are the young generation. Among them is our heroine Lindley, who is the daughter of the former commander, now, in this time of crisis, a commander herself with a close childhood-friends group to help run things. But when a girl from the younger generation
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
↠ 3.5 stars

This book cuts cleanly two ways for me. The first 50% I wasn't a fan of, but the second 50% was really quite good. Frankly, the first half was a little too slow-paced for a thriller, but once past halfway the book did catch my interest. And I never did suss out the culprit until the actual end (and found many people suspicious), so I did think that was done well.

The comp title of Illuminae did feel slightly accurate, though it lacked the same gripping intensity (and amazing AI) Illumi
Emily Murphy
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A gorgeously written, tautly plotted thriller. I inhaled this book and relished the twists and turns it took. I love the way This Splintered Silence weaves science, technology, grief, panic, and the nuance of human relationship into a tightly woven web--and an ending I never saw coming.
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

3.5*

This was quite a fun book! While not perfect, I found it to be quite enjoyable and I was certainly invested in the mystery aspect of the story. Let's break it down into likes/dislikes, because I cannot really talk about the plot too much for fear of spoiling!

The Stuff I Liked:

•It was incredibly entertaining. Despite any other flaws, I just plain really liked the story. Is it
Amber (Books of Amber)
I didn't finish this book because I didn't like the writing style. Every sentence was so horribly dramatic. You know that character in Inside Out who says "I would die for Riley" in THAT voice? It was like that. Every. Single. Sentence.
♡ gillian
Aug 03, 2019 marked it as dnf-zone
I barely had issues with writing styles when reading a book, but this is so unbearable. My god! Four chapters in and I'm already rolling my eyes.
Vicky Again
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wishlist
4 stars

The Sandcastle Empire was one of my favorite reads from last year--an action-packed read full of deadly situations in a unique setting.

And This Splintered Silence did not disappoint, with its cast of characters who you doubt every step of the way and a main character struggling to maintain captainship of the spaceship, you're definitely invested in what's going on with these teens in space.

I mean, they're going through a whole lot with all of their parents dying and having to control 80 t
Jessi (Novel Heartbeat)
Nov 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 1-star

I had such high hopes for this book, but sadly I was disappointed. It's got great reviews, too, so looks like I was the black sheep yet again *shrugs*

Mostly I was bored. The mystery of not knowing why people were dying kept me going, but I found the plot and the book overall to be very dull. The prose was choppy and awkward and I had trouble getting into it. We are given ZERO description whatsoever, so I had trouble picturing the setting or any of the characters. They're in space. That's abo
Tabi  (ᕗツ)ᕗ
Aug 29, 2018 marked it as to-read
Another book about a young girl trapped in a sudden position of loneliness and leadership on a ship hurtling through the dark vacuum of space???

description
Lindsay
;3
@ this book u are not The 100 that you think u are
Carlie Sorosiak
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ooooooooh my goodness, y'all. Please prepare yourselves for this book, because it's going to absolutely blow your mind.
Jackie
Apr 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, sci-fi, 2018-reads
* 3.5 stars *

A book I wanted to love ended up being a murder mystery I’m not sure I buy but overall it wasn’t a bad novel.

“This Splintered Silence” begins at the end of a contagion that took the lives of the first generation of those who made the jump from Earth to space leaving behind a community of children to take the reins when a sudden death of one of their own with eerie similarities to the original plague threatens to unravel an already fragile social order as those in charge are forced
Shijia
Aug 01, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hated
RANT ALERT!!! Can this book just vanish out of existence? Please?

ZERO STARS.

honestly, this book is everything I worry I never have to read in a story that I anticipated SO SO MUCH. A disease in space where all the adults are dead- sounds cool right? WRONG!!!

The taste of disappointment is truly bitter. This book was trying to be an epic and poetic space opera about leadership and ya know the usual group of misfits who were now in control of an entire spaceship...

Here are all the things wrong wit
Ry
May 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5 stars
Julia
Dec 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-current, ya
3.5 stars. I think most of my issues with this book come from the odd framing of it. We never get to see any kind of "normal" on the ship, and all of the plague that happened is dispassionately summed up to us in the first couple of pages. Since we have no baseline for how these characters interact when they're not dealing with all of this stuff, their relationships feel shallow and don't make sense. We're told several times that the core group of 4 were really great friends, and we see some of ...more
Mary
Jan 27, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
dnf @ page 90-ish
it pains me, but despite the premise of this being hella interesting and the lovely writing at times, i just have... no... desire... to return to this. I stopped reading last year in April. That's April 2019. It's January 2020. It's time to admit that I'm not going to finish this lol.
trufflebooks
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Young Adult, Thriller, Mystery
*Rating* 3.5

*Thoughts*

Kayla Olson's This Splintered Silence is her follow-up to the novel The Sandcastle Empire. This is a story that is a mixture of science fiction and mystery. 17-year old Lindley Hamilton is the Commander of the station called Lusca. Lindley leads a group of second generation survivors who lived while the adults on the station died of a deadly pathogen. Learning how to keep the space station running, figuring out how to
Ann Tamimi
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Laura Holt
"I think most things begin to fracture without anyone realizing it's happening, a sort of splintered silence that gives way all at once."
What's the last book that kept you up at night? For me, it was This Splintered Silence by Kayla Olson! This book was, in a word, phenomenal. It had so many twists and turns that I couldn't tell which way was up and which way was down! Needless to say, the ending completely took me by surprise. Plus, Kayla's writing is stark and fresh, with the kind of perfect p
Kath (Read Forevermore)
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-arcs, reviews
An arc of this book was sent to me by Harper Collins and Kayla Olson for a book tour. All thoughts and opinions on this book are honest and my own.

Rating: 4.5 / 5

Beautifully written, engaging and character driven book. This book is a perfect mix of science fiction, romance, thriller, and suspense. The prose of this book was just so beautiful and natural, and it brought the development of this story so perfectly! It was perfectly paced, and I found myself devouring this book real quickly.
Jennie Shaw
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been looking forward to THIS SPLINTERED SILENCE since I first heard of it. As a fan Kayla Olson's debut, I was extra psyched because books set in space have a special place in my heart.

The YA market has blended quite a bit into the adult market, and I'm happy report that THIS SPLINTERED SILENCE was, most definitely, a book written for teens. Lindley's decision making process reminded me a lot of my younger years, where immediacy trumps all. By that, I mean that every problem feels like an
Shelly
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, harper, sci-fi
*4.5 stars*
I really liked this one! The main character was so well developed and the writing/plot was so gripping.
Dreximgirl
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this. Space science fiction mystery drama with interesting characters and definitely a story which keeps you guessing. Very good and highly recommend.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Only the Ocean
  • Monsters
  • Stolen Time (Dark Stars, #1)
  • The Quiet at the End of the World
  • The Beckoning Shadow (The Beckoning Shadow, #1)
  • The Hand, the Eye and the Heart
  • The Darkest Bloom (Shadowscent, #1)
  • Immunity (Contagion, #2)
  • Fire & Heist
  • Fractured Tide
  • The Disasters
  • Perfectly Preventable Deaths
  • Hold Back the Tide
  • The Life Below (The Final Six, #2)
  • The Light Between Worlds
  • The Pioneer (The Pioneer, #1)
  • Contagion (Contagion, #1)
  • The Loneliest Girl in the Universe
Kayla Olson lives in Texas, and can usually be found in near proximity to black coffee, the darkest chocolate, Scrivener, and an army of Sharpie highlighters.

Latest book news:
THE SANDCASTLE EMPIRE was recently optioned for film by Paramount, with Leonardo DiCaprio/Appian Way producing.

Internationally, THE SANDCASTLE EMPIRE is slated to hit shelves in Italy, France, Turkey, Spain, Denmark, Brazil