Start by marking “The Secret Deep” as Want to Read:
The Secret Deep

The Secret Deep

When Aster wakes alone on a tropical island, she has no idea what has happened, why she is there, or where to find her younger sister, Poppy. Meanwhile Sam, who once met the sisters on a plane, makes links between the mystery of their disappearance and suspicious happenings in his own life. In a dual narrative, the truth unravels - and the answer lies in the secret underwa ...more
Published August 2nd 2018 by Chicken House

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Deep, please sign up.
Jasmine I guess that's a matter of opinion,
I found this book in the Young Adult section in the bookshop
and I would place it in that category, I wouldn't of re…more
I guess that's a matter of opinion,
I found this book in the Young Adult section in the bookshop
and I would place it in that category, I wouldn't of read this in
'middle grade.'
(less)

Start your review of The Secret Deep
Maddie
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Thank goodness the story was as gorgeous as this cover! I loved the twists and the thrill of Aster's survival. I felt like I'd entered an entirely different world whenever she was underwater. Can't go wrong with a good 'finding the sister' plot.The different perspectives were well balanced, with Sam popping in at just the right moment to give more detail to Aster's discoveries. The science behind the story was well explained too, and the shifting motives of the researchers had me turning the pag ...more
Lauren James
[Gifted]

Lindsay Galvin is a creative new voice in science fiction. Real science is used to create mind-blowing magic, in an underwater world that will take your breath away - and give you gills instead.
Kate
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was after a late night comfort read and this proved to be the perfect choice. An exciting and atmospheric read, an adventure set on and under the sea. Such a well-written book for youngsters and oldies alike. Review to follow shortly on For Winter Nights.
Sabrina
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Aster and Poppy have lost their mother to cancer and must go to live in New Zealand with their aunt who they hardly know. The book is full of secrets and surprises. I never knew what was going to happen next.
Kate Ormand
Aster wakes up on a tropical island alone. Her sister and aunt are both missing and she has no idea what happened. While Aster searches for answers, Sam – a boy the sisters met on a plane – searches for them. The story is told in switching POV between Aster and Sam, building up the mystery surrounding the island.

I read this really quickly. It was dark and strange – and something very different, which I loved. Weaving together science and magic, the underwater setting became both unsettling and
Jo Hogan
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This clever and exciting thriller opens with a bang as fourteen-year-old Aster wakes to find herself stranded on a tropical island, with no idea of how she got there or where her eleven-year-old sister Poppy might be. As Aster tries to piece it all together and find her missing sister, we learn more about the mysterious events that led her and a handful of other teenage survivors to the island. Why did her aunt set up her own ecovillage, and was this island always part of her plan? Who is the my ...more
hollie
Feb 24, 2020 rated it liked it
a quick and enjoyable read!!

- I live for any book sea related even though the sea kind of terrifies me,
- the plot and pacing was good,
- I loved the mystery element behind the book and I didn’t guess the ending which was nice.

however,
- I didn’t like the writing style, it is a book definitely written for the younger YA audience,
- there was no character development really and aster was kind of boring,
- I didn’t like the alternative chapters with sam and aster. it just all seemed too convenient he w
Steph
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
A complex and beautiful story of Aster, a young girl who loses her mother to cancer, who has to move to live with her auntie in New Zealand. What meets her there isn’t the usual life - there’s science, the sea, some tracking devices and much more.

I really enjoyed this - an exploration of medical consent, family, grief and trust. Can you always trust your family?
Kyra (Blog of a Bookaholic)
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one! It was thrilling and suspenseful. I love books that contain science/genetics etc. IT'S SO FASCINATING. This was also a diverse book! The main characters were POC, and there was great anxiety/panic attack representation! I also loved the sister relationship between Aster and Poppy! <3

I HOPE THERE'S A SEQUEL!
Kriss
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved this thriller/adventure in New Zealand by first time author Lindsay Galvin!
Jay-Dee Davis
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
I’m definitely in the minority, but this was just not for me.
rosie
Apr 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
this may have been the craziest book i’ve read

i thought it would be a cool story about a girl stranded on an island but boy was i wrong, there were continuous twists and turns throughout and the whole concept is crazy. props to the author for coming up with something like that wow!!
Grace
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Not at all what I expected - a beautiful, thrilling tale of young people thrown in the deep end (!) and finding their way out.
Alice
This was a wild ride. A good ride, but a strange one nonetheless.

I picked up The Secret Deep for two reasons: the cover (which is undeniably gorgeous) and an island adventure! See, my parents used to read me this story about this young girl being stranded on this jungle island and becoming this sort of engineer and making her own tree-house village. Honestly, it was a story that really inspired me as child and so I've been clambering to read something like that ever since.

While The Secret Deep
Sam Copeland
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A gorgeous read, and original. Beautiful, rich and exciting. Definitely recommend you dive in to this stunning debut.
Sarah Juckes
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful debut with a story as beautiful as its cover, full of hidden surprises.
Nick Tomlinson
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jumping jellyfish! If a riveting, intelligent YA thriller that blends bioethics and subsea machete battles sounds like your kind of thing (and it should), you'd might as well stop reading this and buy THE SECRET DEEP.

Here's a speedy summary. After their mother dies from cancer, fourteen-year-old competitive swimmer Aster and her younger sister Poppy are sent to live with their mother's sister, who happens to be a cancer expert running an eco-village in New Zealand. Aster and Poppy become involve
Paige
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think it's best that you go into this book knowing as little as possible. All I had to go by was the few lines on the back of the book, and I'm so glad I didn't know anymore than that. It makes the story even more exciting and magical as you discover things along with the characters.

This is a dual narrative between Aster and Sam. Aster is a great character, she seems much older than she is, but her age is only mentioned once and it's only reflecting on the book that I realised this. She is fi
Dominique Valente
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-of-happiness
From it's first beautiful line I was hooked. Drawn into a story so gripping, dark and beautiful that it grabbed me by the throat and wouldn't let go. I felt like I could see the island, feel the water against my skin, taste the salt-sting of Aster's despair at finding her beloved sister missing. It's hard to believe that this is a debut, as Galvin's writing is so seemingly effortless that you feel like you're in the hand of a seasoned pro. There's a few twists that I didn't see coming.

I loved th
Sarah Harris
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to receive an early copy of Lindsay Galvin's The Secret Deep. I loved this book and read it over one weekend. It's a very unique read with lots of twists. At the heart of the novel is a thrilling underwater adventure, which Aster and her younger sister, Poppy, are reluctantly plunged into after the death of their mother from cancer. The plot hooks you immediately and the pacing is great - it gets the reader into the action quickly and ramps up the mystery. Lindsay expertly bal ...more
Gabriel Dylan
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I started to read ‘The secret deep’ expecting a YA Castaway, and found that the story quickly swept me off in a very unexpected and exciting direction. Tied together expertly by the haunted, gutsy narrator, Aster, the novel depicts absorbing and vivid descriptions of the island setting, whilst moving at a terrific pace and delivering some great twists and turns. Without delving into spoiler territory, I also really enjoyed the mixture of science and mythology, and the way the author weaves these ...more
Judith Eagle
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When Aster and Poppy’s mum dies, they travel half way across the world to live with their Aunt Iona in New Zealand. But Iona is not a normal sort of Aunt, she is involved in a mysterious genetic project which the sisters soon become enmeshed in. I loved this book- it is one of those ones where you don’t know who to trust - a thriller crossed with believable fantasy. Readers will empathise with Aster who is emotionally frail, and yet determined to be strong for the sake of her sister. Great chara ...more
Emma Read
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was extremely fortunate to be able to read an advance copy of this wonderful debut novel. Right from the start I was hooked. The opening was tense, gripping—I simply had to know what was going on.
From the mysterious opening scene, the action never lets up, and despite the fantastical nature of certain elements (no spoilers) it always felt real—sinister, haunting, atmospheric and beautiful, a testament to the author’s skill for description and dialogue. The characters were wonderful, utterly be
Lucy  van smit
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I felt very honoured to read The Secret Deep before it went to print - and then got invited to Lindsay Galvin's launch - what a debut! An utterly original, moving, dual narrative story from teenagers Esther and Sam's POV -determined to solve the mystery surrounding a missing sister, lost children, a tropical island, sinister scientists and secrets hidden deep in the sea - this is the PERFECT summer read - a beautifully written page turner ....with themes of grief and sisters and real science bas ...more
Graeme Whalen
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Take a deep breath and dive into this beautiful book.

Aster and her little sister Poppy move to New Zealand to live with their Aunt Iona after the death of their mother. However, when they arrive, their Aunt doesn't take them to her home but to a remote camp where everything is not as it seems.

I really enjoyed this book and the various themes of love, loss, grief and discovery are woven into the story expertly. The story has an inventive science based twist to it and I would highly recommend it.
Beth Kemp
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved this unusual YA with a magic realist vibe, creepy thriller-ish aspects and some gorgeous (if somewhat threatening) settings. Characters were brilliantly portrayed and easy to root for. I particularly appreciated the realistic representation of anxiety (although a minor point in the story, it's well done and important to fellow sufferers). Definitely recommended for fans of sea-themed stories, those with a taste for something different and anyone who fancies a blend of adventure and thrille ...more
Holly Jackson
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’m very lucky to have read an early copy of this book before it’s official release in a couple of weeks. The Secret Deep is such a breath of fresh (underwater) air. It surprised me in the best way, the plot twisting and eddying in all directions, populated with characters you aren’t quite sure you can trust. I loved following Aster on her adventure full of intrigue, mystery, science and sisterly love. This is a whopping and unique debut and I can’t wait to see what Lindsay writes next.
Bekka
Jun 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
I can't fault this story much at all. It was really nice to read a science fiction novel that wasn't space related for a change too. The writing style was good and the ending was wrapped up well. I enjoyed the mystery and the slow working out of who was the villain. But I think Sam was a bit more of a vice and feel he could have been a little more developed if anything. This book seems teen to young adult age range and there's no swearing. But trigger warnings for cancer.
Brindy
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An intriguing tale that builds quite slowly at first with no indication of what's ahead. The pace of the adventure builds as you read to a fabulous conclusion. Full of intrigue and underwater action, this is an excellent debut from Lindsay Galvin with a very inventive storyline. A thoroughly enjoyable read.
Kim Hart
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A thrilling mystery with great characters. After losing heir mother 2 sisters are shipped off to live with their aunt in NZ, but they become separated. What is their aunt up to? Will Aster ever be reunited with her sister Poppy? You won’t believe what happens to these siblings. A great upper middle grade read.

• Jemima Small Versus the Universe
  • The Vanishing Trick
  • The Strangeworlds Travel Agency (Strangeworlds Travel Agency #1)
  • The Lost Princess (The Rosewood Chronicles #3)
  • Princess in Practice (The Rosewood Chronicle #2)
  • Boy Underwater
  • Asha & the Spirit Bird
  • Hold Back the Tide
  • A Pinch of Magic (A Pinch of Magic, #1)
  • Being Miss Nobody
  • The Midnight Hour
  • Brightstorm
  • A Sprinkle of Sorcery (A Pinch of Magic, #2)
  • The Deepest Breath
  • Top Marks for Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #8)
  • TrooFriend
  • A Darkness of Dragons (Songs of Magic, #1)
  • Charlie Changes Into a Chicken