Start by marking “Shelter in Place: Chapter One” as Want to Read:
Shelter in Place: Chapter One

Shelter in Place: Chapter One

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts comes Shelter in Place—a powerful tale of heart, heroism . . . and propulsive suspense.

It was a typical evening at a mall outside Portland, Maine. Three teenage friends waited for the movie to start. A boy flirted with the girl selling sunglasses. Mothers and children shopped together, and the manager at the video-game

Published March 6th 2018 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Shelter in Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shelter in Place

sue
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it

There have been quite a few books lately that have had reference or stories told around mass shooting, some have been written well some not so well.
Some concentrated on the drama of it all some on the newsworthiness and some on the effects and events leading up to it.

Nora Roberts chose to focus more on the after effects which for me made it emotional and interestingly vital to invest in the characters.

Imagine. Lots of people out shopping in a busy shopping mall and then it happens. Just 8 minu
Carol Suraci
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Nora Roberts has created a terrifying story right out of today's headlines. Knowing how very real this story could be, I found myself crying as I read about the needless death of so many innocent people during a mass shooting at a US mall. Amazing plot, engaging, colorful characters, romance, suspense, and a psychopath that will haunt your dreams -- you will not be able to put this book down!
Kaajal
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely mind blowing! To write about such a painful and sensitive issue and to do it with such compassion. To touch upon the small things that are often missed under the bigger tragedies. To make fiction resonate so real. Only a master author could manage and that’s what Nora Roberts is.
Marleen
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
The beginning of Shelter in Place is absolutely riveting. I was genuinely engrossed in those first few chapters, when a horrifying mass shooting in a mall in Portland, Maine, takes place and changing the lives of many people in an instant, killing more than eighty, and defining the lives of the main characters, Simone Knox and Reed Quartermaine.
We witness, over a decade, how Simone Knox tries to cope with the death of her best friend and the shooting and recovery of her other best friend. Simon
Jo
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nora Roberts has redeemed herself after her abysmal foray into dystopian fiction with her novel Year One. Shelter in Place is about a mass shooting. This was made all the more relevant because there was a mass shooting in New Orleans while reading this. She humanized tragedy. The tragedy is a turning point which, forever changes the lives of everyone left behind. Three years later the are being targeted one by one. This is Nora Roberts at her best, its unnerving, twisted but a very satisfying re ...more
Norma
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
loved this. this is without a doubt my favorite Nora Roberts book. and that's saying something as I've been a huge fan for years.

I will say the first few chapters are really hard to get through.

I listened to this and the narrator was fabulous.

highly recommend
book_luv_r
Joanne
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was a surprise from the start. I got it as a filler book on vacation in case a book I wanted to read wasn’t in on time. This book was so much better than expected. It was a crime suspense novel more than a love story. The plot took a twist after a few chapters. The ending wrapped it up and gave me closure.
Sofie Hern
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was having a difficult time in the first few pages of this one because it's something we deal with and hear about almost daily. I had to put it down a few times but once those difficult pages were done and got deeper into the story I really enjoyed it.

I'm sure many people will have different interpretations but for me it was about not letting your past determine who you are or who you might become. I am a huge fan of books that expand years as it gives us a unique opportunity to see character
Cassandra Montalto
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This definitely isn't the usual Nora Robert's novel, but it was still a page turner that I didn't want to end.
Angela Austin
Enjoyed the book. Different story line from this author but good.
Drz
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Got ARC of this book. The book started more like a JD Robb book for me. I also thought the subject of a mass shooting in a mall is sadly a timely one. I liked how the book followed the characters through the years after and really liked the main characters.

I did fing it a little confusing at first to follow so many characters until the main characters emerged. I don't want to give some of the major plot points away but I liked how the book flowed and came together.
Marcia
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Three psychopathic teenagers shoot up a mall in small town outside of Portland Maine. Many died, including the three boys, many suffered serious physical injuries and others survivors' guilty. There are those, who became bitter from the experience and others who dedicated themselves to living and helping others. What no one knew, was that there was a fourth psychopath, the master mind.

Teenager Simone Knox went with her to besties to see The Island at the DownEast Mall Cineplex. During the movie,
Sharon
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-galley
The realism depicted in the first chapter of this book may frighten one with its all-to-common, current event, a mass shooting. At the mall, an innocent evening goes bad and Simone and Reed, two teenagers are caught up in the devastating event. Simone is the first to call 9-1-1, when she realizes what is going on, and Reed saves a little boy who has been separated from his mother. We see them through the aftermath and follow them as they move on. Reed is inspired to become a police officer and S ...more
Sally
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Okay. Nora Roberts can still create a story that involves and entertains and this one is a beauty, on so many different levels.

The story is so relevant to today and all those people in the gun happy USA who have been involved in in even the slightest way in the tragedy of a mass shooting live their lives with that horror always a part of them. It gives us an insight into the tragedies in a very personal way.

Nora brings out all that plus takes us on a terrifying ride with a psychopath and three
Katrina Swiney
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Simone Knox is sixteen years old when a mass shooting reigns terror down on the local mall. That July night, Simone is there at the mall theatre, taking in a movie with her two best friends. She ducks out to use the bathroom, ultimately saving her life, and hides in a bathroom stall as gunfire rages outside. She’s the first 911 call to authorities.
After the carnage, survivors try to piece their lives back together, in fundamentally different ways. As years pass, the struggles and repercussions
Readerkuna1
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great book by Nora. A shooting at a mall sparks some to become police and others struggle.

Simone goes to the movies with friends. She goes to the bathroom and hears the shooting. She calls 911.

She loses her best friend.
Reed works a restaurant. He saves a little boy and the mom survives but won't walk again.

Simone struggle over the event but she goes the island where her grandmother and the friends there help her find her passion. Sculpture.

Then the killing starts again.
Reed became a cop.
Denise
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story quite a bit except for one thing. In the first part and I think part of the second part there was a great deal of moving back and forth in time and it drove me nuts because I thought it was one time period and then read a part and think what? I thought we were in this time period. Luckily, it finally landed in the current time period for the book and stayed there. I was a little shocked at the beginning of the after-Simone and did not care for her at all, although her parent ...more
Deepa
Jul 04, 2018 rated it liked it
The topic is mass shootings and the aftermath. The shootings, the impact of on the characters afterwards was really well written. Many of the characters were strong and interesting.
A nora roberts book typically has quite a strong suspense element and a very interesting romance.
Here the romance was just there. Not really great or exciting. As far as the suspense element , it wasn't that gripping really i guess because we know who the villain is and how it will end for the villain.
That said, th
Cindy
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wendy
Jun 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Nora Roberts tackles the hard subject of a mass shooting in Shelter in Place, and then she adds the typical Roberts suspense and romance that is easier to read. Lives are forever changed from a shooting in a mall in Maine and the stories of not only some of the victims, but also of the mastermind behind the shooting, are followed through the years. Simone and Reed make life decisions based on how they were affected by the event. As they find happiness, they are constantly aware that someone is k ...more
Ebony
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the Nora Roberts i know and love. A great romantic suspense, well developed characters and good writing.
A Nora Roberts book was the first romance book I read and I just fell in love with the genre and with her books. I gobbled up everything of hers I could and she has been on my auto buy list for years. But the last few years I’ve found her books not as good. Last years “The Obsession” was a step back to the Nora I loved and “Shelter In Place” has sealed the deal.
Despite the awful subj
Sara ✨ Next Book Review Blog ✨
************ AUDIOBOOK REVIEW ************

Timely and emotional. A story that will struck all the cords in your heart. This is a story that opens your mind to what the survivors of mass shootings go through. A story truly unlike any other book out there. A book different than every other Nora Roberts book.

The narrator, January LaVoy was more than a narrator. She performed and lived this book through her words and the emotions in her narrative. The one and only time I have ever thought of an audi
Eileen Leith
Oct 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
I confess. I did not finish this book. It came highly rated by my sister who reads a lot of books I like. I really thought I was going to like it as the beginning really caught my attention but a week later I am struggling to get thru and thinking will this book ever end. Finally I looked at 8 other library books that need my attention and said I give up. One comment I have trouble believing so much attention thru the years was given to Simone because she made a 911 call
Virginia Hill
I was relieved when at 43% in Shelter in Place started feeling like a Nora Roberts book, complete with the snappy dialogue and witty character conversations I LOVE. I still feel too much of the book offered the psychopath’s perspective. I prefer to hang out with the the good ones, who always feel like friends. Still, it made for entertaining reading and I ended up feeling grateful for meeting some fascinating and clever characters in a way only Nora seems to do.
Karina
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I can’t remember the last time I cried from the first page thru to the last page of a book but this one did me in. It really touched me considering what’s happening in the world right now and it also gave me hope that love still wins. Beautifully written. NR spring stand alone releases are a hit and miss for me but this one is definitely a hit!
Nicki
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nora Roberts is one of my "go=to" authors. Other than the JD Robb series (which I am hooked on) I love her stand alone books. This book hits close to home with all the troubled people in our country who perpetrate mass shootings for no real reason. And...I always enjoy her romances! Great book Enjoy!
Cindy
Jun 09, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm a huge fan of Nora Roberts. I usually love her books and have very few criticisms of them. This one, I really enjoyed reading and was really absorbed in. Up until the ending. It just felt like it feel flat at the end. A really big bulls up to the main event of the story and then rushed through the ending. I just felt like there could've been and should've been more.
Mary
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just finished Shelter in Pace, this was a very intense book, the subject matter brought to mind the Florida school which is still raw. It depicts the mastermind of the mall shooting as a total sociopath who manipulated everyone around her, parents grandparents and her sibling, and her internal rage at the survivors whom she later targets. Thought provoking and entertaining, would recommend.
Diane Houdeshell
Nov 23, 2018 rated it liked it
  • Fatal Invasion (Fatal #13)
  • Like the Wind
  • Return of the Stardust Cowgirl  (Lucy Hatch, #4)
  • Savage Rising (Redemption Harbor #2)
  • Unforgivable (Tracers #3)
  • Spellbound (Timeless Trilogy #2)
  • A Black Englishman
  • Sean (The Callahans, #3)
  • Macarons at Midnight (Just Desserts, #1)
  • Warrior Agent (Agents Under Fire #3)
  • The First Mistake (Cleo North #1)
  • Takedown (Precinct, #6; The Precinct Series, #12)
  • Blue Rodeo
  • Island Peril (Aftershock, #3.5)
  • Shadows Deep (Shadows, #2)
  • The Fed Sex Man