Start by marking “The Unfortunate Expiration of Mr. David S. Sparks” as Want to Read:
The Unfortunate Expiration of Mr. David S. Sparks

The Unfortunate Expiration of Mr. David S. Sparks

Who is David S. Sparks? Where is David S. Sparks? When is David S. Sparks?

In the aftermath of The Chemical Wars, nature has reclaimed humanity's infrastructure. This world, lush with life - yet dangerously uninhabitable for mankind - houses the remaining population who ekes out an existence in quarantined cities anchored off the mainland.

David S. Sparks awakens into the
Published February 15th 2018 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about The Unfortunate Expiration of Mr. David S. Sparks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unfortunate Expiration of Mr. David S. Sparks

Start your review of The Unfortunate Expiration of Mr. David S. Sparks
Peter
Artificial
The Unfortunate Expiration of Mr. David S Sparks is a thought-provoking and unpredictable search for answers amidst a post-apocalyptic world that has witnessed devastation from chemical warfare. The surviving factions have deep divisions and a polarised belief of what life and societys recovery should look like. Within this environment, David Sparks awakens in a grassy field with no memory, no sense of who or what he is, and is immediately confronted with a man wielding a chainsaw, who
William Aicher
Feb 15, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: science-fiction
I wrote this and don't review my own books. But I've read it countless times. :)
Mrs. Y
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: sci-fi, dystopian settings, mysteries
Recommended to Mrs. by: William F. Aicher
Opinion
Firstly, I hate snakes, I hate things in my eyes, I dislike the idea of eyeballs watching me everywhere, and Im no fan of having something grab me from under the bed. William F. Aicher managed to hit every one of my triggers and creep me out in every possible way he could. (Gee, thanks Bill.)

Before I go into what this book is, please let me say with all the love in my heart, what this book is not. It is not taking the reader as being unintelligent. While there are weird encounters in this
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary |
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the author for review consideration. This does not influence my review.

The Unfortunate Expiration of Mr. David S. Sparks (heck of a title) kept me guessing. These days, that's about the highest compliment I can give. Right away I was wondering exactly what had happened to this dude. There were a few times when I thought I knew what direction things were going in, only to find out I was so very wrong. Normally, by the fifty percent mark in a book at
allieereads
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A futuristic post-apocalyptic, dystopian, mind-bending thriller that will keep you on the edge of your seats. A completely wonderful sci-fi novel that overwhelms the senses. A feat of impossible imagination and a triumph of the sci-fi genre.

The Unfortunate Expiration of Mr. David S. Sparks tells the mind-bending thriller of a man, named David, who wakes up in confusion, unsure of the world he seems to be in and his memories of a different reality. Its enough to give anyone an existential crisis.
Bonnie Small
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm not usually a SciFi reader, but I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Aicher makes a compelling case for what could become of Earth if we continue to abuse it, as well as creating an intoxicating storyline that will have you holding your breath for what happens next!

A definite page-turner, I would highly recommend it -- even if you are not usually enticed by the speculative SciFi genre.
Jessica
There is a lot to like about this book. It deals with the potential environmental catastrophe facing this planet, from over-pollution to the collapse of food production. It imagines what human societies might look like after the crisis, with some in dome cities, others taking their chances scavenging in the poisonous wilds, others yet trying to establish free colonies. It also examines another interesting question, that of what is consciousness can you transfer it into a computer system? Can ...more
Desdemona
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From start to finish, this book is a complete science fiction masterpiece. I was hooked right away. Science fiction is one of my all time favorite genres and William Aicher knows exactly what hes doing.

He creates a world where David S. Sparks is dropped, with no memories, into a very dangerous place. He meets what is essentially a terrorist, who befriends him and takes him on a long journey through some really interesting places (as you can see Im trying not to spoil anything).

There are a
Bianca Scharff
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was fun in a serious way. A dystopian world created largely by the amount of chemicals used on the crops and the advancements in science keeping everyone alive for way to long. This concept was scary to me mostly because I think it's possible. I found myself buying organic foods through out the time it took me to read this. I have to say it definitely made an impression. I enjoyed discovering when and where David S. Sparks was but found myself pulled out of the story a couple of times ...more
Joy
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A book that begged one more page every time I picked it up! Aicher is a master storyteller and I thoroughly enjoyed the solid edge of dystopian science fiction in this novel. ...more
Keith
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This hit a couple of my buttons (in a positive way). Post apocalyptic and an underlying technology device. Although I had some issues I cant quite put into words near the end this was an engaging and enjoyable story. ...more
Kip Koelsch
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An original, thought-provoking twist on humanity's dystopian future.
Sam Hendricks
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reviewers Notes: The Unfortunate Expiration of Mr. David S. Sparks, is a science-fiction thriller/cyberpunk novel by William F. Aicher. It was submitted to Peak Story Reviews by the author in exchange for an honest review. Aicher self-published the book in February 2018 to critical acclaim. Over the last 10+ years, Aicher has authored several well-received fiction titles in multiple genres. He also penned a notable non-fiction piece, Starving the Artist: How the Internet Culture of Free ...more
Mandy Lawson
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kept me on my toes

This was amazing! Kept me on my toes the entire read! The amount of dedication from the author to this story takes my breath away. Oh, David! Oh, Rosa! But beware of the wrigglers! Enjoy, my friends!
Micah Thomas
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You should read The Unfortunate Expiration of Mr. David S. Sparks. Id like to read as many other interpretations that can exist for this novel, because my mind was just blown and I need to talk about it with someone.

Aichers novel has left me amazed. The intriguing premise, found in the product details page both here and on Amazon, lays out a few concepts, but the execution of the story, what is actually delivered, far exceeds that summation.

Im going to list a few things that I was reminded of
Cheyanne Lepka
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So, disclaimer I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review! And I am very glad that I did!

With well-built, complex characters and just the right amount of mystery, this book had me guessing right to the very end who should be trusted if anyone. Thrusting readers into a world where the main character knows next to nothing is a difficult thing to do and Mr. Aicher does it masterfully, presenting just enough questions to keep the reader engaged.

The world-building is
Alanna Rusnak
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, sci-fi
Aicher has managed to create a world that is believable and highly imaginative, envisioning a future existence that is both terrifying and wonderfully fascinating. Sci-fi fans will be satisfied by his creative look at a transformed earth, and others (like myself) who dont consider themselves to be regular consumers of science fiction, will be pleased to find a narrative that goes much deeper than interesting technologydelving into questions of class and greed, the value of memories and the cost ...more
MN Seeley
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Look, 4 stars is a damned good rating. As I see it, that elusive fifth star is held in reserve for books that scratch my personal itch. Sparks left me scratching my head in a good way, though. You see, I like science fiction that beckons for deeper thought. Sparks did not disappoint in this regard. Perhaps this story will be a five star gem for you. I would encourage you to read Mr. Aichers work. Theres more than enough substance in the pages for most readers to discover their own preferential ...more
Shiftless McKenney
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mr. David S. Sparks awakes without his memories fully intact. From there on we are introduced to a futuristic post-apocalyptic/dystopian era. The plot moves along quickly with David learning about the origins of chaos in the world, unraveling deeper mysteries about himself and The Cause. The characters David encounters along the way help expand his memory and understanding of the world. I really enjoyed the setting of the environment. With those determined to live out their lives in the toxic ...more
Luis Tovar
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I rarely promote books, much less ask an author for the honor of an autographed copy. I asked Mr. Aicher for an autographed copy & he was kind enough grant my wish.

The novel is well paced, easily readable & the characters are well developed. I found the subject intriguing, beguiling & refreshing all at the same time. There is a philosophical aspect to Aicher's writing. A Kafkaesque aspect of waking up to a constantly changing world.

The character is a Prometheus who constantly wakes
Sabrina
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Worth it.

I admit it, I look at self published novels with a general level of skepticism. I was open to the entire concept at first, but too many poorly edited novels (that sound like they were written by middle school kids) flooded the market and I thought Id never pick up a self published project again. This book-and author in general- has changed my mind.

I recommend this book to lovers of well crafted story, regardless of genre. Aichers strength isnt in finely wrought phrases, but tense
Jen Bernardini
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
Maybe this is a good book, maybe. But I couldn't get through the first few chapters. The first two chapters were confusing to the point where I had to ask myself just what in the hell I was reading. I wanted to like it, wanted to understand what was going on, and just didn't.
I'm not going to out and out say it's a bad book because maybe I didn't read enough, maybe I just didn't get it.
The premise is interesting enough and since I didn't read a terribly large amount (four chapters) I'd like to
Liv Archer
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Unfortunate Expiration of David S. Sparks.

Weird. Strange. Curiouser and curiouser.

Set in a world completely unlike our own, this story is loaded with delicious scenery and characters that can only be seen by the minds eye.

In a Doctor Who-is, Alice in Wonderland-like reality, we are introduced to a system of science that appears commonplace but couldnt be more profound.

An amazing masterpiece of mystery and action - a true page turner.

I truly enjoyed this book and would definitely
Ethan Johnson
I feel bad giving this a low rating, but reviews are supposed to be for the benefit of potential readers as well as the author. As spoiler-free as I can say this, I think the author put far too much emphasis on world-building and explaining the built world than crafting a compelling story set within it. Several times for example, information is "blurphed" to the MC by other people in ways that defy credulity.

I really think this needed a little more time in the oven. Sorry!
Paul Blake
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was a great read. Highly enjoyable from the first page. Very clever splicing of two plotlines for the same character. The support characters were well balanced with their own personalities and their own wants and needs. Masterful exposition of a detailed and believable world.
The Book
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Exceptional! This book was intriguing on so many levels and kept my attention right to the end. Refreshing and new. Loved every moment of getting to know the character and following his journey to find his identity and reality. This book will keep you turning the pages for sure.
Stephanie
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worth the read!

Wonderfully well done and imagined. The science is well thought out and it all flows like a river. Reminds me a great deal of Dune and the varying viewpoints that encompassed it. And I gave it 4 stars only because I know people don't believe a 5 star rating.
D.J. Lahey
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sci-fi at its purest form. A must read.

This journey of Mr. Sparks is a masterpiece of science-fiction mixed with psychology. Willam F. Aicher does a superb job at grabbing the reader, and never letting go. Anyone that loves sci-fi and psychology should read this book.
Madoverbooks
Nov 22, 2018 rated it liked it
More than just a work of fiction, interesting style of writing, believers of Apocalypticism tread with caution.
For the better part of the first half of the book, it is like any other post-apocalyptic story with the mysterious streak being maintained by Mr. David S. Sparks but as the book progresses it becomes clear how and why this book is different than others of its genre.
For one, there is a more than a touch of reality in it. Two, despite being fiction its very realistic. If ever our use of
Justin
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I highly recommend this book if:
-You're into science fiction, philosophy, and pondering some big-picture questions about the future of humanity, identity, consciousness, etc.
-You like putting complex pieces together to figure out what's really going on in the universe.

I don't recommend this book if:
-You want a particularly character-driven story where the fate of the characters is what draws you into the story.
-You are particularly averse to the occasional infodump to catch the reader and

• Bits & Pieces
  • Red Phoenix (Red Phoenix #1)
  • The Little Demons Inside (Eudaimonia Book 1)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
  • Between Two Minds: Awakening
  • A Map Of The World
  • A Young Man's Game
  • Wildwood Chronicles Complete Collection: Wildwood, Under Wildwood, Wildwood Imperium
  • Chanel Bonfire
  • Renegade (The Spiral Wars, #1)
  • Blood Drops: A Collection of Horror Short Stories
  • Nemesis (First Colony, #2)
  • When Nothing Stares Back
  • Not Forsaken: A Story of Life After Abuse
  • The Monkey Idol
  • Entanglement (The Belt #1)
  • The Dawn Warrior (Dawn, #1)
  • Embers of War (Embers of War, #1)
William F. Aicher is an independent author who primarily writes what he describes as "philosophical fiction" and holds degrees in journalism and philosophy from the University of Wisconsin. A proponent of the value of creative work, he is also a champion of intellectual property rights.

A Wisconsin native, he currently lives in the middle of Iowa with his wife, three sons, and a trio of crazy cats.

News & Interviews