Start by marking “A Thousand Fires” as Want to Read:
A Thousand Fires

A Thousand Fires

Shannon Price's A Thousand Fires is a breakout contemporary debut―think The Outsiders meets The Iliad―that's perfect for fans of Courtney Summers and Veronica Roth.

10 Years. 3 Gangs. 1 Girl’s Epic Quest…

Valerie Simons knows the city's gang wars are dangerous—her own brother was killed by the Boars two years ago. But nothing will sway her from joining the elite and beautif
Published November 5th 2019 by Tor Teen

To ask other readers questions about A Thousand Fires, please sign up.
Shannon Price Nope, no fantasy or mystical elements (much as I tried to make them work in early drafts!). My next book, which comes out next year, is YA fantasy tho…moreNope, no fantasy or mystical elements (much as I tried to make them work in early drafts!). My next book, which comes out next year, is YA fantasy thought! (less)
Shannon Price Thank you for your question! Yes, some of the characters are LGBT, however their orientation is not a dominant theme for the book.

Start your review of A Thousand Fires
Chelsea Humphrey
I'm somewhere between 3-3.5 stars on this one.

The idea of making a blended retelling of The Illiad and The Outsiders is creative, ambitious, and intriguing, and while I respect what the author created here, I think my preconceived notions gave me different expectations of what this would be. I had a difficult time connecting with the characters, and the narrative felt a bit uneven and jarring, but I couldn't put this down! I'm a sucker for anything that involves gangs, and the author shows treme
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
Jul 23, 2019 marked it as to-read
The Outsiders meet The Iliad.

WHAT.
Phoenix2
Dec 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: YA
I was excited to read this book. As a High&Low fan, I was intrigued to read about gang wars and a girl who has to navigate her way into them. However, the book didn't live up to its hype.

There were early signs that this book won't be what I was hoping it'll be. First of all, it was unclear whether this was a contemporary YA urban story or a fantasy dystopian story. The reason why the gangs came and took teenagers was unclear and it lost its illusion of momentum when it was clear that the gangs
alana ♡
"My thoughts bleed with the reminder that I'm dancing with demons, flirting with the monsters."

WOW! I totally devoured this book. A Thousand Fires totally blew my expectations out of the water and I'm so happy I received a copy of this book otherwise I may have not even known it was releasing. Why is there not more hype around this?! This book is pitched as The Outsiders meets The Iliad so do with that knowledge what you will, but I was more invested in this because it reminded me of somethi
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
Read my full review on my book blog, The Quiet Pond.

Reading this book made me feel something that I don't often feel when I read a book: bewilderment.
This book was a wild ride from start to finish, and not in a good way unfortunately.

- Follows Valerie, a biracial Phillipino-American teen who joins San Franciso's gang wars so she can avenge her little brother.
- To start with the good stuff... I can see where Price was coming from with the themes of gentrification and violence, though I feel l
Kal ★ Reader Voracious
I read this in one sitting! I definitely picked up more Romeo and Juliet vibes from this than expected, but the themes of the Iliad are evident throughout - the underlying story being an important one of privilege and gentrification set in San Francisco.
"You turn eighteen, and they find you. There is no other recruitment. Eighteen - old enough to have had your heart hardened, young enough that blood still passes through it. Not everyone is recruited, of course, but the gangs are smart.
Claire (bookscoffeeandrepeat)
I'm sad to say that I'm a bit disappointed with this one.

I had high expectations and they have not been met. The premise seemed too ambitious and the execution is lacking. Characters needed more development and fortunately enough the main character is not one of them. I would say that the best thing about the book had been the development of the main character. Besides that, I think this YA novel needs a bit more work.

However, I would say that this book is extremely fast-paced. The reader gets
Shannon Price
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Edit: A THOUSAND FIRES is out now!! Thank you all for your support, I hope you enjoy my modern take on the Iliad and that you love the Stags as much as I do. :) Please don't forget that CWs are on my website at spricewrites.com/books. And watch out for my next book—YA fantasy this time!—coming out November 2020!

Thank you everyone for your excitement for A THOUSAND FIRES; it's now available for preorder on Amazon! Indiebound, B&N, and other links coming soon. :)

Edit: Pre-order links are LIVE!! Al
charlotte, (½ of readsrainbow)
On my blog.

Rep: Filipino American mc with PTSD, non-white side characters, lesbian side character, side character with depression

CWs: self harm (graphic), ptsd, gun violence, gang violence, suicidal ideation and attempted suicide (side character), alcohol abuse, drug abuse, abusive relationship (not condemned, maybe even romanticised)

Galley provided by publisher

A few months back, I read Beth O’Leary’s The Flatmate and, in that, there’s an emotionally abusive ex boyfriend. Throughout a good c
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
Plot: yassssssssss
Cover: ...ehhhhhh...

Actual review:
This book should have been left with the title The Red Bridge Wars. It made sense. It was tied into the book and setting. The cover looks cheap and flat. They should've incorporated a stag with a tattoo or something.

I liked the end of this but the whole thing was destroyed by the awful and unnecessary romances. Everything was rushed through and I wasn't given enough time to get attached to anyone.
Amanda
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
output

You can also read my review here:https://devouringbooks2017.wordpress....

Review: 4 Stars

A Thousand Fires was an absolutely incredible read that I found myself tearing right through. Books that are about criminals are my catnip, so I’m not surprised that I loved this book about gang wars in San Francisco. A Thousand Fires is marketed as a re-telling of The Illiad and while I never read The Illiad I know about it and I know a lot about Greek and Roman mythology. I had expected this book to have so
Kate
Nov 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
Actual review: 2/5

I really wanted to like this. Alas....

Full review to follow.

Find more from me:
Blog | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube
Jessica
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was mind-blowingly good. I read it in one sitting and now I have the worst book hangover I’ve had in ages.
Marta Cox
Oct 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, my-reviews
Ok I read the preview provided on Netgalley so was quite intrigued to see where this story would go. Essentially we have Valerie who dearly wants more than anything to find out which gang member killed her brother. Her chance to finally find out is crushed when instead of being offered a position with the Herons she suddenly finds herself taken by the Stags ! Not what Valerie wanted but their unpredictable leader offers to help her so Valerie leaves behind her safe world and enters one full of s ...more
Kristi Housman Confessions of a YA Reader
I almost skipped over the book because of the cover, but luckily I decided to read the synopsis.  Do not skip over this.  After reading it, I get the cover more.  Still not my favorite, but it does fit.

I'm going to start this with some warnings.  I apologize if I missed anything.  There is cutting, a child's death, murder, gang wars, depression, talk of suicide, teens drinking, teens smoking pot, sex (but no details), control, revenge, rage (breaking things, etc).  It's a thriller that is a bit
Surbhi Das
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019-reads, 2019-arcs
I am having one bad streak after another with ARCs these past few months and the latest addition is obviously A Thousand Fires!

Right, where do I begin? A Thousand Fires is supposed to be a retelling of the The Iliad and to be honest, I haven't read The Illiad therefore my point of context is completely negligible. However, the reason that this book didn't work out for me is because, it seemed interesting to begin with but by the time I was done reading it I realised I wanted more from this story
Leah
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
A Thousand Fires hooked me so fiercely with the first chapter. Then it lost me in chapter two with a line something like, "He was the hottest guy I'd ever seen." Le sigh. I hate writing reviews like this, so I'll endeavour to keep it short.

Full review at Write, Read, Repeat

First, a quick note about trigger warnings. (view spoiler)
Trisha
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
"that's all a person needs - someplace to spark the tinder of change and an audience to watch the flames."

I liked the idea of this - the gangs and the lands and worlds these kids live. Grabbed at 18 by a gang, you choose to join for 12 months and fight - or decline and go about your world. But things broke down pretty quickly from there. I'm not sure the benefit of joining the gang - why one gang full of "haves" still choose to lose some of their kids instead of sending them away to their expens
Mari Johnston
Oct 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
This review and many others can also be found at Musings of a (Book) Girl.

Content Warnings: self-harm, PTSD, anxiety, nervous tics, suicide ideation, suicide attempt, gun violence, gang violence, grief, depression, descriptions of blood and wounds, death of a sibling, underage drinking, drug use, unhealthy eating habits

I’ve read some pretty incredible debuts this year and A Thousand Fires did not continue that good luck. Shannon Price has potential but she isn’t quite there yet.

We’re thrown pret
Liz (Quirky Cat)
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
I received a copy of A Thousand Fires through NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.

A Thousand Fires is the debut novel of Shannon Price, and is a novel worth checking out. It's a modern-day retelling of The Iliad, with a touch of The Outsiders thrown into the mix. Naturally, that has a lot of readers more than a little bit curious about this one.
In a world where three gangs rule the land, everything is both familiar and dangerous. On your eighteenth birthday, you stand a chance
Joanna Bennett
Aug 11, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a book I was really looking forward to reading. I was so excited to start it and the first few pages really draw you in. I felt like this was going to be a great read. Unfortunately, I ended up having some issues with it.

Let’s start with the characters. There were some I liked more than others which is usually how it goes. Valerie, the main character, is half Filipino, comes from a decent neighborhood, and is dealing with the loss of her younger brother. She blames herself for it and wa
Karlita | Tale Out Loud
Jul 29, 2019 marked it as to-read
Hi guys! I am co-hosting an INTERNATIONAL BLOG TOUR for A Thousand Fires by Shannon Price with Afire Pages and the Blog and Bookstagram Tour Sign Up is now officially LIVE.

Please check details on my blog by clicking the image below!

Tale Out Loud
Joss
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was amazing! I’m crying it was so good. It’s past my bedtime but I had to finish this.
Melanie  Brinkman
When love hangs in the balance, where will your loyalties lie?

After her brother is killed by one of the city's games, The Boars, Valerie wants nothing more than to avenge his death. Once she turns eighteen, she manages to join The Stags, who promised to help her and asked her revenge. They reveal deeply guarded secrets about the gangs of San Francisco that could change everything. However, Valerie's heart is swayed by the call of her first love who offers another way out, but happens to belong
Anna Bright
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
i. don't have words for how much i adored this one. i'm so endlessly impressed with shannon's talent-- the pacing gallops, the characters are ferocious and sharp, and the plot and emotional stakes of the iliad transfer so well to a gang war on the streets of san francisco, which is obviously IRL the site of a lot of socioeconomic tension. i can't wait to see what shannon follows this up with.
Emily G
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc
I was initially fascinated and drawn in by the plot of this book - a reimagining of the Iliad is an amazing concept. Unfortunately, however, the writing and the characters didn’t quite make the mark for me. I found character traits and plot progression to be a little forced - felt a lot more like tell than show.

While this book might not have been for me, I think the author does show a lot of promise and I’d be interested in checking out more from her in the future.
Sam
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Thousand Fires promised an impressive premise drawing inspiration from The Outsiders and The Iliad and strangely enough it actually delivered quite well on this, without being too obvious or overplayed. Full disclosure, I haven't read The Outsiders so I could only judge the inspiration from The Iliad and I gotta say ... I'm not mad.

CW: self harm, death (and can I say I'm so happy the author wrote CW's herself and published them on her website)

We are wild, neon-blooded devils as we go into the
Michele
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! That one chapter has me absolutely, positively hooked and wanting more! A Thousand Fires has great potential and I look forward to reading it in its entirety. I can already tell that it will be full of twists and some unexpected surprises. It had a little West Side Story combined with Divergent vibe going on within that first chapter. That feel may change as the reader gets further into the book, but that was my initial impression. Now...how to wait until the book releases in November...

Tha
Samantha - She Writes About Books
Did I download an excerpt on the word gangs in the synopsis and that’s it? Yes, yes I did.
The one chapter was all I needed for this to be added to my TBR and I am ready for it to be November
Rival gangs, revenging a death, lovers that can’t be together? SIGN ME UP!
- ̗̀ cady ̖́-
Feb 16, 2018 marked it as to-read
a retelling of the iliad??? set in san francisco??? i didn't know i need this until now
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Weight of a Soul
  • Sisters of Shadow and Light (Sisters of Shadow and Light, #1)
  • Spellhacker
  • The Speed of Falling Objects
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • Nameless Queen
  • Foul Is Fair (Foul Is Fair #1)
  • Night Spinner (Night Spinner, #1)
  • Diamond City (Diamond City, #1)
  • Song of the Crimson Flower
  • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
  • The Stars We Steal
  • A Constellation of Roses
  • Blood Countess (Lady Slayers #1)
  • Marrow Charm (The Gate Cycle, #1)
  • The Memory Thief
  • The Light at the Bottom of the World (Light the Abyss, #1)
  • Jane Anonymous
Shannon Price is a proud Filipina-American and Bay Area native. When not writing, she can be found watching baking shows, exploring old bookstores, and going to the beach as often as she can.