Start by marking “Unicorn Day” as Want to Read:

Hooray! Hooray!
It's Unicorn Day!
When unicorns
come out to play.
The most important rule of Unicorn Day is to have fun, fun, fun!

The unicorns are celebrating their favorite day of the year, complete with rainbows, cupcakes, butterflies, and all sorts of joyful things. But when it's revealed there's an impostor in their midst, the party comes to a screeching halt...

Will the u
Published June 4th 2019 by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky

To ask other readers questions about Unicorn Day, please sign up.
Diana Murray Age of intended audience is about 4-8yrs

Start your review of Unicorn Day
Calista
This is the perfect book for anyone who just loves unicorns and especially rabidly cheerful unicorns. It’s filled with color and magic and total fun. I loved it.

It’s totally Fun Fun Fun. It’s filled with high energy.

The nephew was glad this was a quick read. He doesn’t hate unicorns, but he said this was for girls. He didn’t use to care about stuff like that, but since getting into school he cares more about what he’s supposed to like than he did. I think he sort of like it anyway. He gave it
Jane
Yay! Yay! Yay! It's Unicorn Day! Well, I mean I suspect that every day might be Unicorn Day, but in this book we're looking at just one of those days.

Filled with fun, bright pictures, this story is fairly simple with an inclusive message about kindness and friendship. I'm often leery of books told in rhyme, but this one does it very well, and I never had to guess about the rhythm of the lines.

4 fun stars for this book that is perfect for anyone who loves unicorns (or glitter fights)!

Thanks t
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
This was absolutely adorable, and who doesn't love unicorns? I enjoyed the theme of friendship and acceptance surrounding the "impostor" in their group, and I thought the little song at the end was really fun and would work well for a storytime read-along.

Thank you so much to the publisher for providing me with this ARC in exchange for an honest review!
Kat
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-2
Unicorn celebrations. Glitter fights! This was a cute inclusive unicorn story with a great message.
Dave Schaafsma
Nov 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
My family reads all the Goodreads-award-nominated picture books every year. This is book #3 (of more than 20) of 2019, and we were not fans. Obviously. Is it because we are getting older, and crotchetier? Mediocre story, mediocre art. Three rules for dragons: Show off your horn (your difference); fluff up your hair and have fun. How can this be one of the twenty best (of hundreds!) Goodreads picture books this year??!

Lyra (12): 2. Um, cute? Sweet.

Hank (13): 1. Show off your uni-horn, that's the
Mel (Epic Reading)
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a fun, colourful illustrated book about Unicorn Day; which is essentially a silly fun play day that the Unicorns made-up. Not really suitable for bedtime as there are many moments where your toddler is likely to want to yell (like "glitter fight") and what not. But certainly a great afternoon read. The very busy pages ensure that your child will always have something new to look at; and it has a cute little morale about being inclusive to everyone; not just unicorns, to participate in Un ...more
Deborah
Nov 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Bright colorful illustrations of unicorns playing and partying. When the glitter fight reveals there is an imposter among them - a horse, will the celebration stop?
Abigail
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Determined Unicorn Fans
It's Unicorn Day, and those magical horned equines are getting into the enchanted fun - braiding one another's manes, dodging cupcakes as they rain from the sky, getting into glitter fights - when they discover an impostor in the midst. Will they kick out the brown horse with a fake horn? Or will they prove that everyone is welcome at Unicorn Day...?

There's never much doubt as to the answer to that question, as the rhyming text of Unicorn Day builds towards its message of tolerance and inclusivi
Rod Brown
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Goodreads Choice Awards Project: Read as many of the opening round Best Picture Book nominees as possible. 7 to go!

Bright and shiny art and silly rhymes gave the book mindless energy, and there was a twist half way through that I didn't see coming despite the clues planted. If the book had stopped there, I might have given it three stars, but instead the twist was shrugged off and the tone quickly went right back to being loud, pointless, and boring.
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a little too cute for words, or even for pictures. If your kids love unicorns then, this is the perfect book for them. It is full with fun happy unicorns, and one horse who wants to be a unicorn as well.

So, really, despite all the glitter, and bright colors, this is really a book about friendship, and how anyone can be a unicorn and be accepted.

So, super sweet, but sometimes having a slice of bright confetti colored cake is ok.

Thanks to Netgalley for making this book available for an hon
SheLovesThePages
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such an adorable book! Unicorns celebrating Unicorn Day with a big party! Love it. My daughter is a compete unicorn junkie and she enjoyed this book immensely, especially the drawings. My son, 7 years old, got right into the story, as well. Winner!
Steff Fox
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
| Reader Fox Blog |

Alright, everyone. It's time to drop whatever you're doing and go request Unicorn Day by Diana Murray and illustrated by Luke Flowers from NetGalley because this book is just adorable. I requested this book largely due tot he fact that, in my work, I know a bunch of kids who are super into unicorns. And see, one of the cool things about my job is that when kids end instruction with us we get to buy them a book. Mainly, I wanted to see if this was a book that would be perf
Philip
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My name is Poppy, and I'm seven years old. This time I read this book to my dad. *typing*

And he... and he didn't um. He didn't read it to me.

Dad: I think that's the first time that's happened, at least with a book that we're reviewing, but maybe I'm wrong. I told Poppy that she has to talk the whole time, and I'm not asking her questions. We'll see how that goes.

Poppy: I want to say something.

Um. I like Unicorn Day because it's just really good, and some parts are really funny. And I think that
La Coccinelle
Mar 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: children, arc, netgalley
At first glance, this looks like a pretty frivolous book full of unicorns, fairies, cupcakes, and glitter fights. But it's actually about friendship and acceptance. Unicorns just want to have fun, fun, fun! Would they really be so petty as to exclude those who aren't exactly like them? Of course not!

The confection-sweet illustrations might be a bit much for some readers (including this one; I found the Lisa Frank-like colour palette a bit intense), but the rhyming text and pure exuberance of the
Lana
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this Unicorn story! I was so excited to get a copy of it to read to my preschoolers! The kids in my program love anything unicorn, in fact each year celebrate unicorn week!
This story is a colorful and simple story about celebrating unicorns, full of glitter, cupcakes, rhyming, dancing and all things happy and fun! Their is also a message of friendship and acceptance of others.
This book will definitely be a hit for preschoolers!
Thank you to Sourcebooks and NetGalley for this advanced co
debbicat *made of stardust*
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute little picture book for the young ones. I love all the illustrations and it has a very good message about being friends with those that are not in your little group. A message about acceptance and having fun.

Many thanks to net galley and the publisher of this precious little book for giving me a copy to read and review. I highly recommend it!
Aliza Werner
The illustrations are so colorful, bright, loud, and saccharine that I think I got a cavity just from reading it. On the surface, the inclusion of other non-unicorns is sweet, but then all of the creatures wear a horn. Shouldn’t they be able to come as they are, not having to conform or co-opt another group’s feature. Reminiscent of The Sneetches...and that’s not a compliment.
Melissa
Dec 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: hoopla, 2019, borrowed
This was cute. If you have young children this is a good story for them about accepting those who are different. Short with lots of colors; this will hold your kids attention.
Rebecca Ann
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
I am dubious about the message in this story. Seemingly, if you don't fit in you should just fake it and encourage others to fake it so you can all be happy. DID WE LEARN NOTHING FROM THE LEGO MOVIE? The illustrations are cute but chaotic and overcrowded. ...more
Ashley Holstrom
I love this book so much, I cannot even.

★ Note: I work for the publisher, and this review is mine, ALL MINE!
Garrett
In MY book, EVERYDAY is Unicorn Day!
Beate
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Cute book about inclusion and fun, but I found it kind of 'meh'. Colorful and sparkly which was fun, but just kind of... loud? I'm sure there are a lot of kids that appreciate more than I did however. ...more
Tara Strosnider
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Yay it's unicorn day this book is so cute and adorable I love unicorns and this story was so cute and adorable 💖 🦄🦄🦄 ...more
Stephanie
Jan 28, 2020 rated it liked it
I can see my students loving this one. I have kids asking for unicorn books every day.
Scottsdale Public Library
Vibrant, playful and fun! This picture book very subtly emphasizes inclusion using cupcakes, glitter and unicorns! I would very much like to be part of Unicorn Day! - Sara S.
Amber Grewal
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Unicorns ✔ Glitter ✔ Subtle Character Building Message ✔

My daughter made me read it multiple times a day (I quite enjoyed it myself) and was downright angry when she had to return it to the library.
Jana
Unicorn books are very popular with young readers, and this cute one has bright and colorful illustrations along with bouncy, rhyming text to share and important message with young readers. This is a story of inclusivity and sharing in community. It's Unicorn Day and all of the unicorns have gotten together for a fun celebration that includes singing, dancing, sparkly butterflies, rainbow slides, hair braiding, cupcakes, and loads of other activities. As everyone is enjoying themselves, it becom ...more
Sanja_Sanjalica
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute and fun, a bit over the top (but I guess that was the goal :) ). I love the message at the end when everyone joined.
Crystal
Nov 12, 2019 rated it liked it
That was kind of like getting smacked in the face with a unicorn cake. Cute and pretty but waaaay too much going on and the rhyme scheme of the text got a bit wonky in places.
Jen Solak
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a fun and colorful story that shows how we should accept others. The unicorns have a fun day planned for unicorns, but soon find they have a fake among their midst. How they handle it is a way to bring up the topic of being different, fitting in, and sharing with young children without being preachy,

My three year old boys loved this book!

Thank you NetGalley for an early copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

• Just Because
  • A Piglet Named Mercy
  • Because
  • What If Everybody Thought That?
  • The Good Egg (The Bad Seed, #2)
  • We Are (Not) Friends
  • Hair Love
  • Vacation for Dexter! (Dexter T. Rexter, #3)
  • How to Read a Book
  • Sulwe
  • A Tiger Like Me
  • Snow Globe Wishes
  • Unicorn Is Maybe Not So Great After All
  • How to Catch a Unicorn
  • The Proudest Blue: A Story of Hijab and Family
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story
  • It's Not Hansel and Gretel
Diana Murray grew up in New York City and still lives nearby with her husband, two children, and a fuzzy white pup-icorn. Diana's children's books include, CITY SHAPES and SUMMER COLOR (Little, Brown), GRIMELDA: THE VERY MESSY WITCH (Katherine Tegen Books/HarperCollins), NED THE KNITTING PIRATE (Roaring Brook Press), DORIS THE BOOKASAURUS (Imprint/Macmillan), PIZZA PIG (Random House), UNICORN DAY ...more

News & Interviews