Start by marking “The Gradual Disappearance of Jane Ashland” as Want to Read:
The Gradual Disappearance of Jane Ashland

The Gradual Disappearance of Jane Ashland

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  104 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
An American woman wakes up alone in a tent in the Norwegian mountains. Outside a storm rages and the fog is dense. Her phone is dead. She has no map, no compass, and no food. How she ended up there, and the tragic details of her life, emerge over the course of this novel. We discover that Jane is a novelist with a bad case of writer’s block—she had come to Norway to seek o ...more
Published October 9th 2018 by Tin House Books (first published 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Gradual Disappearance of Jane Ashland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gradual Disappearance of Jane Ashland

Liz Barnsley
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a beautifully short, sweet and melancholy novel, speaking to the varying levels of grief – following the path of one woman, through her life, her loss and her coming to terms with everything that the universe throws at her.

We open with her alone on a mountain, cold, isolated – but how did she come to be there? What follows is a gorgeous and wonderfully layered portrait of Jane, what defines her, through childhood, adulthood, parenthood and a loss so terrible it is barely imaginable.

The
Nikola
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-tysm
You can also find this review on my book blog.

I saw this book a while back on Twitter and what first struck me was its cover which looked so interesting. I came across this book again when I requested Only Killers and Thieves and then I took a closer look at it (read the synopsis) and was SOLD. Trust me, once you read the synopsis you’ll want to find out more about it!

The Gradual Dissappearance of Jane Ashland starts with a woman, who we learn is called Jane, who wakes up in a tent somewhere i
Thebooktrail
description

Visit the locations in the novel

They say beautiful things come in small packages and this is one of them. The cover and the setting of the story are very nicely drawn – an ethereal green cover, the setting of the Norwegian mountains, remote and raw.

The story however is one of darkness, grief, addiction and loss. Against such a stunning background, the trauma was even stronger and I found the mountains and landscape was actually one of Jane’s worst enemies after all. She is stuck there, without
Ken Fredette
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nicolai Houm has really taken a woman (Jane Ashland), who has been devastated by an accident involving her husband and daughter and took her from Wisconsin to Norway. She met Ulf on the flight to Norway and hooks up with him after she see's family in Norway. He's into researching musk ox and takes her with him into the Norwegian wilderness. All through the book it relates to Janes life and her choices at that specific time. When she's young and meets her husband, latter when they have their chil ...more
Amy
Sep 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
*** 3-3.5 Stars ***

Poor Jane Ashland is the best way I explain this story. When tragedy strikes writer, Jane Ashland, who is also an author with significant writers block, she leaves Wisconsin and the story begins with her waking alone in a tent in the Norwegian mountains. This is a very quick read and an extremely sad story explaining the grief Jane is dealing with. Overall it was a good read, but it was quite boring to me, which is why I rated it lower.

Many thanks to Netgalley and Tin House B
Platon P
The first time we see Jane Ashland, she is alone on top of a misty Norwegian mountain with very little equipment and no phone. Instead of trying to survive, she is thinking of the position her frozen body will have taken when the rescuers find her. Cut to a few days ago. Jane, an American fiction writer, is having several drinks on her flight to Norway, where she plans to explore her Norwegian ancestry. On the plane she meets Ulf, a Norwegian zoologist who is just returning from a period of obse ...more
Jackie Law
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Gradual Disappearance of Jane Ashland, by Nicolai Houm (translated by Anna Paterson), opens with a woman waking up in a tent believing she is going to die. Just a short time before she had flown to Norway to meet up with distant relatives. She has now been abandoned in a cold, lonely landscape; left without food, water or a map. The woman’s name is Jane Ashland and she struggles to relate to anyone, or to care much about their reactions to her behaviour.

The story moves around in time between
Erin Britton
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Waking up alone in a tent on a mountainside in Norway, Jane Ashland is freezing, exhausted, hungry, more than a little hungover, and convinced that she is about to die. In fact, she can quite clearly envisage the scene when would-be rescuers finally discover her blue, snow-covered corpse, and she’s more than a little tempted to strike a dramatic pose in anticipation of that eventual discovery. But then, what would people think she was attempting to achieve in those final moments before death?

“An
Thelastwordreview
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story starts with a woman (Jane Ashland) waking up in a tent in the Norwegian mountains. Outside a storm is battering the bleak landscape and Jane believes she is about to die. The Gradual Disappearance of Jane Ashland by Nicolai Houm (translated by Anna Paterson) is a gripping and compelling story of a woman who flies to Norway to see relatives. But how did Jane Ashland get to be here and alone.

Jane has now found herself alone in a bleak landscape in a tent with no food or water, she has n
Neens Bea
Jeg er litt usikker på hva jeg egentlig synes om denne boken. Det er mye hopping i tid, noe jeg vanligvis ikke liker. Språket er en merkelig blanding av anglisismer og gammeldagse norske ord som passer bedre inn i en oversettelse av Agatha Christies bøker om Miss Marple. Resultatet er så forvirrende at jeg ble nødt til å sjekke om jeg leste boken på originalspråket eller ikke. (Det gjorde jeg.)

Til tross for de underlige ordvalgene er boken nokså fascinerende. Nesten fengslende. Den trekker deg
Dana Portwood
The gradual disappearance of Jane Ashland is a fluidly beautiful and complex novel. Starting much like a suspense thriller, the story unfold in pieces making the reader wait to find out what exactly happened to Jane. The answer is not at all what we expect, not a physical nightmare, but a mental and emotional nightmare of grief and anger from which Jane cannot escape.

The character of Jane is astoundingly complex. She is not a "likeable" character and yet she is deeply sympathetic. The reader mu
Cflack
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This one started out slow for me, but it built slowly and deliberately into a very power portrait of grief and internal musings and pain. Jane Ashland is a woman who it takes us a while to understand, but as I write this I'm thinking maybe we really don't understand her. She is a woman still processing her grief and finds herself alone in a precarious situation.

The last quarter of this novel is just searing with personal pain and the writing is just devastating to read. A very power poignant por
Hannah Emory
Jun 11, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Unfortunately, I felt that this book was a waste of time for my purposes. I can see what Houm was attempting but I felt the story was not only anticlimactic but possibly, to coin a new term, "un-climactic." There were moments where the prose was going toward being poetic and saying something revealing but the plot fell short of the conviction and purpose I like to experience when reading a novel. The end was unsatisfying and I did not find it easy to be interested in Jane's plight. More, the tra ...more
EmmaWise
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite its relatively short length, The Gradual Disappearance of Jane Ashland packs it in; philosophy, the nature of grief and of love and maybe forgiveness, what it means to be a writer. But for me it’s the depiction of Norway, Houm’s home country, that fascinates. As well as the landscape that Jane literally and figuratively becomes lost in, the character of the nation is examined with a critical eye that can only belong to someone who hails from there. And on the fringes, the Eastern Europea ...more
Amy
May 04, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I almost didn't finish this one. I don't like Jane, I don't find the other characters particularly likable either. The back and forth from present to past feels choppy, and maybe the problem is I don't get enough of Jane's story early on in order to feel anything other than annoyed about her behavior.
Tom Scott
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jane was self-destructive, unpredictable and out of control which didn't make her an especially likable character. Though I eventually understood how she ended up this way, it was still a bit hard to relate and have empathy for her. A quick and entertaining read, but a bit lightweight.
Claudia
I generally liked this. Slim and gripping is a good description. You don't know what is actually motivating the main character until the end, although there are hints. The writing is very evocative of the northern landscape in which a good part of the book is set.
Billyf27
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short, but very emotional novel that lured me into the story. Bleak in parts and beautiful in others felt the pain and small bits of hope in this short book.
Jd
Aug 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, fiction, print
1/2
Ron Antonucci
Oct 23, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
dnf
Anne Goodwin
Cutting back and forth in time, we gradually get a sense of who Jane is, where she is, and why. Although angry and withholding, Jane is a sympathetic character right from the start. While her predicament is tragic, there’s a thread of hope that perhaps nature will prove her salvation.
Full review
Genealogy: The Gradual Disappearance of Jane Ashland & The One Who Wrote Destiny http://annegoodwin.weebly.com/1/post/...
Magnhild Uglem
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Houm har språklig vakre bilder, enkelte partier er direkte sitat-verdige, og han skriver godt om sorg, hat og fortvilelse. Janes besøk hos sine norske slektninger er pute-TV i bokform, og jeg ler med en litt flau smak i munnen. Boka overrasker nok til ikke å bli forutsigbar, og det er en medrivende historie som driver leseren framover. Men jeg får ikke helt taket på Jane Ashland og hennes fortvilelse, og ville gjerne lest mer om hennes eskapader på Dovrefjell.
Chris Haak
Nov 26, 2017
Alexander
May 22, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Born in 1974, Nicolai Houm has published two novels, which were both critically acclaimed in Norway. The Gradual Disappearance of Jane Ashland is the first publication of his work in English. He works part time as an editor in the publishing house Cappelen Damm, and lives in Lier with his wife and daughter.