Start by marking “Resin” as Want to Read:
Resin

Resin

The multi-award-winning international bestseller.

Suspenseful and heart-breaking, Resin is the story of what can happen when you love someone too much – when your desire to keep them safe becomes the thing that could irrevocably harm them.

Liv died when she was just six years old. At least, that’s what the authorities think.

Her father knew he was the only one who could keep
Published August 9th 2018 by Doubleday (first published October 8th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Resin, please sign up.

Start your review of Resin
Miriam Smith
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: twitter, kept-book
You know when you watch a scary movie and you really don't want to look, well, "Resin" made me feel like that but for some inexplicable strange reason I COULDN'T tear my eyes away! Such a hauntingly creepy, chilling and disturbing story yet beautifully atmospheric and at times emotional and tender.
Blurb - His father, his brother, his son had taught him - whoever leaves him will never come back. Liv died when she was just six years old. At least, that's what the authorities think. But behind the
Felicia
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"My name is Liv. And I'm not dead."

I knew this was going to be a dark read, and I thought I was prepared, but the first chapter of this book left me so bereft of stillness I had to set it aside for a day.

"One of the first things I remember from the Head is the smell of fresh resin: the funny tickling in my nose, the sticky feeling in the palm of my hands and Dad's calm voice telling me about the sap in the tree. It was a strange sap, he said, because it could protect against attack, heal wounds
Paul Bryant
Sep 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
I learned that you should be careful who you choose to marry because they can double in size without warning. Also, little kids don’t mind if you tell them they are dead. Also, if you cram your house with junk and let rabbits, rats and mice run riot there will be a bad smell. Also, that your dad might be really lovely and kind but also profoundly mentally ill. Also, that a book can carefully build up a very convincing picture of a family’s descent into insanity but then nearly wreck the whole th ...more
Krystin Rachel
Book Blog | Bookstagram

Opening Hook: Going off-grid
Main Character: Just doing her best
Plot Twisty-ness: Encased in resin

Wellllllll…. excuse the fuck out of me, but I didn’t really love this. It’s meh, but I get what it was going for. I’m definitely an outlier when it comes to my rating, so take it with a grain of salt and a shot of tequila.

I picked this up – an award-winning international best-seller – because the reviews are all like THIS IS BEST THING EVER! WORK OF ART! Blah, blah, blah… and I
Liz Barnsley
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A completely incredible novel, so beautifully written, so traumatic and extraordinarily disturbing whilst being entirely riveting throughout. Really can't recommend it highly enough. Full review to be posted near publication.

Sonja Arlow
The novel paints a disturbing picture of a family’s descent into madness.

Initially the Horder family living on an isolated homestead had a charm to it. But once the head of the family passes away only one son decides to stay on, marrying a shy local girl to the disapproval of his mother. The turning point comes when the newly married couple lose their infant son, leaving his twin sister the only child in a house that slowly starts losing its grip with reality.

With a bed bound mother and a mental
The Book Review Café
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The first sentence of this book actually gives a glimpse into how dark and disturbing Resin actually is, it’s definitely not one for the faint hearted as it deals with some rather uncomfortable and horrifying subjects, but in the author’s defence there are only a few vivid scenes, the rest is left to the reader’s imagination. Translated from Danish, Ane Riel’s novel is traumatic, emotional and deeply disturbing but on the plus side it’s beautifully written, rich in atmosphere, haunting and at ti ...more
Claire Fuller
Amazing sense of place in this novel about a father who declares his daughter dead while hiding her amongst the junk that he collects. I'll be doing an event with Riel at Waterstones in Winchester on 8th August, so I'm sure I'll be saying more then. https://www.waterstones.com/events/an-evening-with-clare-fuller-and-ane-riel/winchester-high-street ...more
Chantal
Aug 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
This book reads like a dark spooky fairytale. From page 1 I couldn't put the book down, it is addicting to read and it also reads fast. A special story with a lot of imagination, perfectly written by the writer. That is why this book gets 5/5 as a grade.
Abby Slater- Fairbrother
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WOW! Where to start with this one!!!!!!
The whole novel can be summarised with one word: disturbing!
Which I do not mean in a derogatory manner. The novel focuses around one of possibly the most disturbing families I have ever read! Straight from the opening sentence, you know you’re in for a treat with this one. . . .

‘The white room was completely dark when my dad killed my granny’ – Liv

Meet Liv, your strange, awkward child protagonist. She tells us about the home-made Christmas presents and fa
CalifCat
So engrossing and heartbreaking, and hard to put down, I just kept being magnetically pulled back and stuck in the resin.
I own this book and was keeping it for a time when I felt its gravitational pull. I have this stack of books that are like TBR treasures for me (a comforting feeling), and this one was always in my peripheral vision and I could feel its pull on me....read me, read me.
This book has won some Literary awards and might I say , well-deserved!!
I don't like to say too much about plot
Thebooksofwonder
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller-mystery
" My name is Liv, and I'm not dead. "

The publisher was so kind to send me this book and I'm so glad they did! I knew that this was going to be a dark read and to be honest I didn't know if I was going to enjoy it. But wow this book was amazing.

The book is told in different point of views, but the point of view from Liv was breathtaking and emotional. The things she is doing is for her 'normal' and the things that her dad is doing is in her eyes 'normal', but it is so far from being normal.

I d
Cressida McLaughlin
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Unlike anything I’ve read before, and took me far, far away from my sunny back garden. Resin is haunting, beautifully written and so atmospheric.
Stef Smulders
After a very good first chapter the story immediately slows down to a boring pace. The style is so simple it reminds me of a YA novel rather than one for adults. The author changes perspective and jumbles the chronology so often that it is difficult to identify with any one character. Liv would seem the best bet but she doesn’t appear for over 20% in the first part of the book. When the author is the narrator he switches perspective all the time: headhopping. Then there is a lot of telling inste ...more
meandermind
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh my god, what a punch in the heart. From the first sentence to the last you are captivated by this EXTREMELY mad family, like cray-cray all the way. Even though it starts with grandmother being killed you sort of understand where they're coming from, the will to go to any length to preserve their unique way of living. And then it just gets crazier. And crazier.

Super weird and super good, that's all I can say really.
Sarah Harris
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Creepy, dark and laced with menace, Resin kept me hooked from the clever opening to the jaw-dropping ending. Riel cleverly builds a sense of mounting dread throughout. Will appeal to fans of Room and Good Me Bad Me. Thanks to Alison Barrow for the proof copy.
Ingstje
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novel was emotionally devastating! Yep I’m dropping that d-bomb right away. I feel it’s my duty to warn you right now that it’s totally going to creep up on you and shake you up by the end of it. Seriously, I didn’t know what I was diving into but this is quite a sensational story.

The very first sentence of the novel was instantly debilitating and I knew there was a captivating but harsh story between these pages to be discovered. The novel was very atmospheric, the remoteness, the isolatio
Ivana BM
Oct 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-physical
This is the book you wont really see being read often. And it should be. Because it is dark, it is gut-wrenching, it is brilliant. It has vibes of Where the Crawdads Sing meets Educated with a touch of a Gillian Flynn. ⠀

The writing is simple yet you will find yourself touched by every sentence. Guess that is the way of the Scandinavian authors, which I get to love and appreciate more each day (thank you Mr.Backman for that). It's a story told through multiple characters, a story about the lengt
Stef L
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hauntingly original.

A fairy tale or horror story. Perhaps it’s a bit of both?’ (Resin - Ane Riel)

Resin is quite simply a book like no other. Harrowing and yet beautiful, haunting and yet darkly compulsive.

The story is largely told through the eyes of Liv - her young voice is utterly mesmerising, her innocence and acceptance of events as they unfold serving to intensify and accentuate the horror that we feel as our adult minds convert them into their hideous reality.

As we learn more about the
Andy Weston
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, horror
Yrsa Sigurðardóttir‘s I Remember You is a stand-out in the crime genre. It has got just enough elements of the horror genre, as well as it’s compelling plot and characterisations, to make it a proper ‘edge of the seat’ read.
There’s potential in Riel’s novel to create a similar knife-edge tension but the language often doesn’t match the intended darkness of the scene she creates. This may be a problem of the translation, but if you can put this to one side, it’s an engrossing and suspenseful n
Kat
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an amazing novel, sad, disturbing and yet very beautiful at times. It’s a book that just takes you over and at times you are lost in the wonderful writing, a book that will stay with me for a long time. Very well recommended and 5+ stars ..just read it it’s wonderful.
Carolina Edvinsson
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
My review in swedish ---> Romeoandjuliet ...more
Ruben Vermeeren
3.5

Not bad, but not great either. I think this will work very well as a television series, which I understand is in the making. As a novel/thriller I guess it is up there with the better ones, but I am increasingly failing to enjoy - or even see the point of spending time on - fictional thrillers when there is so much good non-fiction and true crime out there...
Stephanie Jane
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
See more of my book reviews on my blog, Literary Flits

I can't remember the last time a book actually left me almost gasping for air as I finished it. I hadn't realised that I'd been holding my breath the whole time I was reading it! Of course that's not completely true, but it is how I felt! Resin is mesmerising, engrossing, immersive and unlike anything else I think I have ever read. It's just incredible. (Am I gushing too much?)

Resin is almost impossible to review because I really don't want t
Ann Ingebrigtsen
This is a real page turner. Beautiful and terrifying at the same time.
James McKinley
Oct 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-kindle
Yes yes yes finally! This is what I’ve been waiting for this month but I think I will need time to recover. There was a certain elation I felt after finishing this. Is it horror? I don’t know. Is it a fairy tale? I don’t know. One narrator really wants me to think so and I would tell her that I have no idea what it is I’ve read. While nothing is overtly scary here nor is anything fairy tale-esque, it certainly terrified me and transported me to a fantastical world. This is some wild wild shit. I ...more
Sophie Eminson
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it

I feel like Resin by Ane Riel would have been an old wives’ tale back in the day. It would have served as a cautionary tale about coveting too many things and never having enough; it would have been told to prevent gluttony and hoarding. Resin is a dark, atmospheric story which sits alongside the likes of My Absolute Darling by Gabriel Tallent, owning similar characters and remote settings, psychotic fathers and young, impressionable daughters. I will say
S
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites, wish-list
4.5 stars rounded up to 5: I really enjoyed this through and through, only small deductions on a bit unbelievable climax and some language (maybe translation-related) details. But like I said, I really enjoyed this and particularly the way literary fiction was tied with suspense. A fine piece of literature!

So maybe 5-.
Anita Wu
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not at all what i had expected it to be but i enjoyed it nonetheless! Amazing imagery and your heart just breaks for poor Liv as the story progresses. I was a little disappointed with how the ending came about but otherwise a worthwhile read.
Tracy
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow.
Very...
Different
Odd
Weird...
It started getting really creepy towards the end and I couldn’t put it down.

I love creepy weird stuff and it was good to find something original. But it was just so out there... still processing it I think.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Russisch voor beginners
  • Tyverier
  • Hvor lyset er
  • Tour de chambre
  • Hvis der skulle komme et menneske forbi
  • Jamåhonleva
  • Til min søster
  • Uit het leven van een hond
  • En dag vil vi grine af det
  • Mijn lieve gunsteling
Ane Riel is a Danish author of three novels.
Her popular literary breakthrough came in 2015 with her second novel RESIN (Harpiks), which was enthusiastically received by Danish critics and is now enjoying praise internationally. In the UK it was picked as one of the Best Books of 2018 by The Guardian, The Telegraph and The Daily Express. In Holland it was #5 on NRC's list of best translated fiction

News & Interviews