Start by marking “Resin” as Want to Read:
Resin

Resin

The multi-award-winning international bestseller.

Suspenseful and heart-breaking, Resin is the story of what can happen when you love someone too much – when your desire to keep them safe becomes the thing that could irrevocably harm them.

Liv died when she was just six years old. At least, that’s what the authorities think.

Her father knew he was the only one who could keep
Published August 9th 2018 by Doubleday (first published October 8th 2015)

Miriam Smith
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: twitter
You know when you watch a scary movie and you really don't want to look, well, "Resin" made me feel like that but for some inexplicable strange reason I COULDN'T tear my eyes away! Such a hauntingly creepy, chilling and disturbing story yet beautifully atmospheric and at times emotional and tender.
Blurb - His father, his brother, his son had taught him - whoever leaves him will never come back. Liv died when she was just six years old. At least, that's what the authorities think. But behind the
Felicia
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"My name is Liv. And I'm not dead."

I knew this was going to be a dark read, and I thought I was prepared, but the first chapter of this book left me so bereft of stillness I had to set it aside for a day.

"One of the first things I remember from the Head is the smell of fresh resin: the funny tickling in my nose, the sticky feeling in the palm of my hands and Dad's calm voice telling me about the sap in the tree. It was a strange sap, he said, because it could protect against attack, heal wounds
Paul Bryant
Sep 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
I learned that you should be careful who you choose to marry because they can double in size without warning. Also, little kids don’t mind if you tell them they are dead. Also, if you cram your house with junk and let rabbits, rats and mice run riot there will be a bad smell. Also, that your dad might be really lovely and kind but also profoundly mentally ill. Also, that a book can carefully build up a very convincing picture of a family’s descent into insanity but then nearly wreck the whole th ...more
Liz Barnsley
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A completely incredible novel, so beautifully written, so traumatic and extraordinarily disturbing whilst being entirely riveting throughout. Really can't recommend it highly enough. Full review to be posted near publication.

Sonja Arlow
The novel paints a disturbing picture of a family’s descent into madness.

Initially the Horder family living on an isolated homestead had a charm to it. But once the head of the family passes away only one son decides to stay on, marrying a shy local girl to the disapproval of his mother. The turning point comes when the newly married couple lose their infant son, leaving his twin sister the only child in a house that slowly starts losing its grip with reality.

With a bed bound mother and a mental
The Book Review Café
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The first sentence of this book actually gives a glimpse into how dark and disturbing Resin actually is, it’s definitely not one for the faint hearted as it deals with some rather uncomfortable and horrifying subjects, but in the author’s defence there are only a few vivid scenes, the rest is left to the reader’s imagination. Translated from Danish, Ane Riel’s novel is traumatic, emotional and deeply disturbing but on the plus side it’s beautifully written, rich in atmosphere, haunting and at ti ...more
Claire Fuller
Amazing sense of place in this novel about a father who declares his daughter dead while hiding her amongst the junk that he collects. I'll be doing an event with Riel at Waterstones in Winchester on 8th August, so I'm sure I'll be saying more then. https://www.waterstones.com/events/an-evening-with-clare-fuller-and-ane-riel/winchester-high-street
Abby Slater- Fairbrother
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WOW! Where to start with this one!!!!!!
The whole novel can be summarised with one word: disturbing!
Which I do not mean in a derogatory manner. The novel focuses around one of possibly the most disturbing families I have ever read! Straight from the opening sentence, you know you’re in for a treat with this one. . . .

‘The white room was completely dark when my dad killed my granny’ – Liv

Meet Liv, your strange, awkward child protagonist. She tells us about the home-made Christmas presents and fa
Cressida McLaughlin
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Unlike anything I’ve read before, and took me far, far away from my sunny back garden. Resin is haunting, beautifully written and so atmospheric.
Stephanie Jane (Literary Flits)
See more of my book reviews on my blog, Literary Flits

I can't remember the last time a book actually left me almost gasping for air as I finished it. I hadn't realised that I'd been holding my breath the whole time I was reading it! Of course that's not completely true, but it is how I felt! Resin is mesmerising, engrossing, immersive and unlike anything else I think I have ever read. It's just incredible. (Am I gushing too much?)

Resin is almost impossible to review because I really don't want t
meandermind
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh my god, what a punch in the heart. From the first sentence to the last you are captivated by this EXTREMELY mad family, like cray-cray all the way. Even though it starts with grandmother being killed you sort of understand where they're coming from, the will to go to any length to preserve their unique way of living. And then it just gets crazier. And crazier.

Super weird and super good, that's all I can say really.
Sarah Harris
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Creepy, dark and laced with menace, Resin kept me hooked from the clever opening to the jaw-dropping ending. Riel cleverly builds a sense of mounting dread throughout. Will appeal to fans of Room and Good Me Bad Me. Thanks to Alison Barrow for the proof copy.
Ingstje
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novel was emotionally devastating! Yep I’m dropping that d-bomb right away. I feel it’s my duty to warn you right now that it’s totally going to creep up on you and shake you up by the end of it. Seriously, I didn’t know what I was diving into but this is quite a sensational story.

The very first sentence of the novel was instantly debilitating and I knew there was a captivating but harsh story between these pages to be discovered. The novel was very atmospheric, the remoteness, the isolatio
Stef L
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hauntingly original.

A fairy tale or horror story. Perhaps it’s a bit of both?’ (Resin - Ane Riel)

Resin is quite simply a book like no other. Harrowing and yet beautiful, haunting and yet darkly compulsive.

The story is largely told through the eyes of Liv - her young voice is utterly mesmerising, her innocence and acceptance of events as they unfold serving to intensify and accentuate the horror that we feel as our adult minds convert them into their hideous reality.

As we learn more about the
Andy Weston
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Yrsa Sigurðardóttir‘s I Remember You is a stand-out in the crime genre. It has got just enough elements of the horror genre, as well as it’s compelling plot and characterisations, to make it a proper ‘edge of the seat’ read.
There’s potential in Riel’s novel to create a similar knife-edge tension but the language often doesn’t match the intended darkness of the scene she creates. This may be a problem of the translation, but if you can put this to one side, it’s an engrossing and suspenseful n
Kat
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an amazing novel, sad, disturbing and yet very beautiful at times. It’s a book that just takes you over and at times you are lost in the wonderful writing, a book that will stay with me for a long time. Very well recommended and 5+ stars ..just read it it’s wonderful.
Carolina Edvinsson
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
My review in swedish ---> Romeoandjuliet
annkolaas
This is a real page turner. Beautiful and terrifying at the same time.
Sophie Eminson
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it

I feel like Resin by Ane Riel would have been an old wives’ tale back in the day. It would have served as a cautionary tale about coveting too many things and never having enough; it would have been told to prevent gluttony and hoarding. Resin is a dark, atmospheric story which sits alongside the likes of My Absolute Darling by Gabriel Tallent, owning similar characters and remote settings, psychotic fathers and young, impressionable daughters. I will say
S
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites, wish-list
4.5 stars rounded up to 5: I really enjoyed this through and through, only small deductions on a bit unbelievable climax and some language (maybe translation-related) details. But like I said, I really enjoyed this and particularly the way literary fiction was tied with suspense. A fine piece of literature!

So maybe 5-.
Tracy
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow.
Very...
Different
Odd
Weird...
It started getting really creepy towards the end and I couldn’t put it down.

I love creepy weird stuff and it was good to find something original. But it was just so out there... still processing it I think.
Anita Wu
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not at all what i had expected it to be but i enjoyed it nonetheless! Amazing imagery and your heart just breaks for poor Liv as the story progresses. I was a little disappointed with how the ending came about but otherwise a worthwhile read.
Hastings75
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Did not enjoy.
A poorly executed premise that did not grip the reader after halfway.
Lucy
This is some of the most beautiful writing i've ever read. Such a haunting and creepy story that kept me hooked throughout.
Ellie
Jul 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2018
Rhoda
Aug 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review was originally posted on StrupagI received this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review. A Wee Summary
Resin is one of those novels that it's hard to say that you 'enjoyed' because it makes you feel so on edge, so deeply uncomfortable. So perhaps I can say that this is an unsettling but good read.

Liv is six years old when her father reports her missing and dead. She lives isolated on an isl
Angela
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mary Picken
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an immensely disturbing book this is. Beautifully written prose captivates from page one and never lets you go. Haunting, riveting, deeply disturbing, Resin is a class act that puts it high on my recommended must read list before the end of the first chapter.

Liv is the daughter of Jens and Maria Horder. The Horders live on an isolated peninsula in Denmark, sufficiently away from the closest village to preserve their privacy. She loves her mum and dad and enjoys nothing more than spending ti
Valentine
God, this book! I finished it over an hour ago yet I still can't entirely wrap my mind around it.

I think it's one of those books you have to get into without knowing too much about it, and just let yourself soak in the story. It's a deeply confusing book, you never know what's going to happen or even what's happening, but in a good way. It's not messy and badly tied together, but incredibly well-thought. As you follow the story of this dysfunctional family, the writing gets you deep into that da
Orláith
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book! Wow, just wow.

Generally speaking, I don't tend to read thrillers but there was something about this book that just spoke to me and I am so, so glad I gave it a chance!

This is a steady, slow-burning story that makes it increasingly difficult to know if the bad guy truly is a bad guy.

I've written and deleted this review countless times because part of me wants to talk and talk and talk but the other, more sensible, part of me refuses to post spoilers!

I need to talk about this book so I
« previous 1 3 next »

• Og sådan blev det
  • Den første sten
  • Alltid tilgivelse
  • Min mor siger
  • En palaa takaisin koskaan, luulen
  • Det Europæiske Forår
  • Hodja fra Pjort
  • Ishavspirater
  • Blækhat
  • The Liar
Ane Riel is a Danish author. Her second novel, HARPIKS, won The Glass Key Award as Best Nordic Suspense Novel of the Year in 2016.
It was also awarded best suspense novel of the year in Denmark, shortlisted for The Danish Broadcasting Company’s Best Novel Award and nominated for The Readers’ Best Novel Award. In 2017 it won 'The Golden Bullet’ for best suspense novel translated into Norwegian and