Start by marking “Te Kōrero Ahi Kā: to speak of the home fires burning” as Want to Read:
Te Kōrero Ahi Kā: to speak of the home fires burning

Te Kōrero Ahi Kā: to speak of the home fires burning

Here, between the realms of the Sky Father and Earth Mother, hellhounds race, ghosts drift aimless, and the taniwha stalks. Home fires drive them back, at the same time sparking stories and poems that traverse seconds, eons, and parsecs. Tales of gatekeepers, cloak wearers, and secret keepers. Of pigs with AK-47s or ruby-hued eyes, of love-struck moa, and unruly reflection ...more
Published February 8th 2018 by SpecFicNZ

To ask other readers questions about Te Kōrero Ahi Kā, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Te Kōrero Ahi Kā

Lee Murray
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Showcasing stories and poems by my colleagues from New Zealand's vibrant speculative fiction community. I loved this collection for its down under flavour and startling diversity.
Annie
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Firstly, I want to give my special thanks to Lee Murray who helped me get a copy across the Tasman to Sydney, Australia. With my love of urban/speculative fiction stories that are inspired by culture, I was most excited to add Maori speculative fiction to my collection. A total of 32 stories with foreword by author Juliet Marillier, this collection of short stories is quite intriguing and I found myself very easily immersed in each one. I found each story to be unique from each other some are fu ...more
Kura
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
A mixed bag, which is to be expected of an anthology, but overall a great initiative by SpecficNZ to support and demonstrate the quality of Kiwi speculative fiction.

Some highlights for me were:

"An Extract from the diary of Peter Mackenzie" by Dunedin author, Daniel Stride ;

"The eye of the beholder" by Kevin G MacLean ;

"Dance, tiny particles, dance", by Sean Monaghan ;

"The music of the spheres", by Debbie Cowens, which I found genuinely terrifying ;

"The Nineveh" by Mouse Diver-Dudfield ; an
Read3r’z Re-Vu
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing

A total of 32 stories with foreword by author Juliet Marillier, this collection of short stories is quite intriguing and I found myself very easily immersed in each one. I found each story to be unique from each other some are fun
Monica Mac
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was an anthology of short stories and some poems: evocative, poignant, creepy, funny, scary, thought-provoking - it had the lot, all with a distinctive New Zealand flavour.

These stories, all very different to each other, evoke the beautiful country of New Zealand with descriptions of landscapes, the mention of Maori legends and unique New Zealand wildlife. It certainly made me want to go back there again for a visit!

The stories made me gasp, made me laugh and made me think. For all those r
Maureen Ball
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A sampler of short stories from New Zealand's writers of "speculative" fiction. Every story is different - fantasy, sci-fi, horror, and sometimes just a twist to surprise you. The prevalence of Maori concepts and myths marks the book as truly Kiwi, but most of the stories are universal in their appeal. If the story you are reading makes your heart race, the next one will probably make you laugh or cry.
A.J.
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Barbara
Mar 30, 2018
G.B. Ralph
Oct 08, 2018
Grace Bridges
Feb 15, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Rachel
Feb 22, 2018
Meldarion Sidhiel
Feb 26, 2018
Matt Cowens
Mar 18, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Simon
Mar 19, 2018
Mya
Mar 22, 2018
Mike
Mar 25, 2018 marked it as partly-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: contributor
Joy
Apr 05, 2019
Regina
Oct 21, 2018
Grace Bridges has been in love with language her entire life. She’s a geyser hunter, cat herder, professional editor, and also translates German and French. Indie publishing and freelance editing have been her focus for the past ten years, including 40+ titles in her Splashdown Books brand. She has written several novels in space opera, Irish cyberpunk, and in 2017 an urban fantasy series set in N ...more