Start by marking “Sanctuary (First Colony #4)” as Want to Read:
Sanctuary (First Colony #4)

Sanctuary

(First Colony #4)

The colony is still recovering from its war with the Vemus, but now they face a new threat. Something is causing a major upheaval among the creatures of New Earth, and the Colonial Defense Force is in trouble.A new discovery sheds light on what happened to the alien race that inhabited New Earth, and their fate may affect whether the colony survives. As the scientists race ...more
Published February 13th 2018 by Acoustical Books LLC

Start your review of Sanctuary (First Colony #4)
Timothy Leon
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
A very poor story line with a far to predictable ending.

A disappointing follow-up to the prior three books in the series. This book reads like a hastily thrown together project lacking the depth and character of its predecessors. Dash has no respect for any rule that prevents him from doing what he wants even when it places others in harm's was. He is a real asshole, and Lenora is an enabler as she condones his bad attitude. Connor acts like a door mat as he allowed her to walk all over him beca
Trish R.
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was ok

I can see where all the complaints came from about this book. If the book hadn’t been in my iPad I would have thrown it across the room every time Lenora opened her mouth. God, she was so irritating. And in the first 3 books I loved Connor but in this one he was such a pussy. And DASH! I just wanted him to die, but he was a MC so that wasn’t going to happen.

I have no idea what KL had in mind when he wrote this book but it will be a miracle if I finish it. I’m at 68% and I’m so tired of Connor,
B LUCKY
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-scifi
I was really hoping Dash and the ever so annoying Lenora would get killed.
Readerone
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
TL;DR Do not read. Stop at book 3 and keep your memories pleasant.

Let's not mince words, this is by far the worst book in the series.

I was actually quite excited to read this one. The third installment was so much better than the second and it looked like things were only going to get better. Connor steps away from command to have an adventure in the Alien ruins. Sounds great, right? We're introduced to Dash, who the story goes out of its way to tell us is just like Connor. But younger.

Dash is
Page Zaplendam
Sep 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Sooo frustrating

I pretty much hated Lenora and wanted to drop kick her to the curb for being willing to place archaeological research over human lives in the face of a credible threat, and for taking Dash's side (who acted like an immature little punk in need of a$$ kicking), over Connor' s. And so I was frustrated when on top of that Connor apologized to her (???!!!!) like a complete putz, so not manly. Sooo frustrating. Too frustrating, even though it was realistic and made for plot tension. C
Bob Michaels
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This gets better with each book. I am really enjoying the series now. The main characters are getting better with age and the new characters added in each book are well developed and add welcome depth to the story.
Jim
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
You would have thought that the end of this series was in the last book. The New Earth Colony had just defeated the Vemus and in doing so, just about destroyed their new world. The Vemus, as you’ll recall, were mutated humans that no longer were human. Still, they some how traveled many lightyears from a destroyed Earth to find the only colony of humans left in the galaxy. General Connor Gates, a former Special Operations Commander, was instrumental in defeating the Vemus and almost lost his lif ...more
Linda
This is series is just mediocre no matter how you cut it. You can do better, but it might keep you entertained. Dash and Lenora are just silly. Lenora is an idiot in all the books, but I'm not a guy. Maybe she is some fantasy woman. This book is fine. Each one has a very different plot, but each book is also very similar. There are few descriptions. If you put your mind to it, you could endlessly question. Conner is pretty likable and plays the part of the hardened soldier with a heart. What the ...more
Zachary
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable continuation of the series

Well, if you enjoyed the first three books of the series, you'll probably enjoy this one. Even though the stakes don't feel quite as high as they were in the last book, the action is still plenty tense and the story line feels like a natural continuation from where things left off. A fun, easy read. Great characters and a fast-paced narrative.
Enzo
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Life on New Earth seems to have calmed down after the defeat of the Vemus. But the Colonist are so busy trying to rebuild that they have left their new planet basically un explored. Connor retires from the CDF and he starts his new life with Lenora and seeking answers to the Aliens that lived in New Earth before them. Why did they leave? What happened?
Enter one of the researchers Dash. He is one of Lenora's favorites and a major pain in the neck to Connor. But will he learn a lesson before somet
Tyler Dick
Apr 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
Bummed

First two books were awesome. Third, was alright. This one I couldn't even finish. Why can't authors focus on how positive people can be after tragedy? But no, it's always the devil of man.
Will
Dec 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
TL;DR: STOP AT BOOK 3, DO NOT READ THIS BOOK.

The first three books in this series were fantastic. I found myself blitzing through them. They had some very small plot holes but they were easy to overlook due to character development, character decision making was great, action sequences, and great story arc. Stop at book 3. Read more for a no spoiler break down of why. I don't often write reviews unless a book or product makes me feel like it is extremely good or extremely bad. This book is so th
Steven Brown
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
An engaging read that is a little bit more down to earth, or New Earth.

I wavered between giving this a 4 and a 5 and had to give it a 4 because some parts of the story pulled me out slightly though there was a lot of interesting things going on to keep my attention. It is told from multiple third person limited point of views and does seem shorter than some of the other books. The writing style is crisp and without any notice for editing errors. The storytelling is clear and has a way of pulling
Christopher Kuzma
Jan 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
Plot holes and characters becoming unrecognizable.

I enjoyed the first three books in the series, but this book just changes everything. Without spoiling too much I will go over some of the things that made me hate this book.

The first is Conor, Lenora, and the new character Dash. Conor is almost unrecognizable from the previous books. He lets everyone walk over him, especially his female interest Lenora. She tells him that it his fault that Dash does idiotic things like exploring far away witho
Judy
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
I loved the first three books. This one? Not so much. First, I had a bit of trouble with some of the characters. Lenora went from being completely bull-headed about her career vs. Connor's as though there was no possibility of compromise (we get it; he was married to the job and she didn't want him to be) to seemingly confrontational over everything. I think it's great that Connor was trying to make a relationship work, but he went from (apparently) having a strong sense of self to consistently ...more
Brook
May 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
The worst book of the series, so far.

This book follows the exploits of the colonists a year after the events of book 3. It is a different story, with Connor out of the CDF and doing.... Something around the settlement of sanctuary.

This book has a couple issues with affected my enjoyment of the story. First, Connor is a main character of the story, but arguably not THE main character. This wouldn't be a problem, except none of the other characters (main or otherwise) are likeable, relatable or re
Maria Rose
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Looking forward

In this novel, Connor is no longer in the military but developing a skill in studying the NIES plus trying to map out the continent better. Lenora is head of these studies and teaches all the young almost adults who come to the Sanctuary. Of this group, Dash is the most promising with his high intelligence, but he has a recklessness to ignore protocol when seeking approval for expeditions.
I read a few reviews of this novel, before I started my reading, so I am going to address cer
Noel
Unlike the other reviewers here, I don't at all think this is the worst book in the series. It may not be as good as some of the others depending on individual tastes, but some of the reviewers here have made the book sound unworthy of the rest of the series.

I believe this book to be every bit as excellent as the preceding 3 books, and now that I'm reading Discovery, (book 5 of the series), I see how necessary the events in Sanctuary really are, to the rest of the story as it unfolds.

I'm going t
Jed
Apr 27, 2018 rated it liked it
40% needs cut

The story is decent, but there are so many worthless details that make the story drag along. They’re on a new world with alien tech and yet pages are spent talking about how some college kids make a presentation. Then there’s the believability problems. Networked outpost with all different information? Inexplicable city defenses that only shoot down some aircraft? Using an armored drone as a bullet? They have guns. Why would they do that?

Generally the premise is decent. This book ne
Mark
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very good series. Not one of the best I have read of all time, but an enjoyable and engaging read.

All books center around Connor Gates, a veteran of earth special forces sent (without consulting him) to earth's first extra-solar colony.

Books 1 and 4 center on mysteries centering on "New Earth" and what remains of its previous intelligent indigenous life form.

Books 2 and 3 focus on attacks from Earth resulting from a plague that consumes earth post-colony ship departure.

All books are well pace
Glenn the Geeky Hippie
Yet again, while I enjoyed the story it was full of inconsistencies and a lack of editorial influence. For example, at one point an officer tells his soldiers to "shoot on sight" an escaped prisoner, but only a dozen pages later when one of his soldiers reports in that he had captured said prisoner the officer congratulates him and says drinks were on him, with no reference to the previous "shoot on sight" order.

I'm having fun with this series, it's just fluff military/planetary colonisation SF
Richard Ritenbaugh
Nov 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Not the best of the First Colony books but still a readable, enjoyable story. I do think Connor's character changed a bit too much between books 3 and 4 (in fact, I think Lozito should have begun a new series with Sanctuary). I also did not like how constantly strident Lenora was and how irresponsible and pig-headed Dash was for most of the book. In the main, they are not likeable characters, though we are supposed to like them as main characters. But I enjoy space opera, so I'll read his other ...more
Emily
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
I thought that this book was the best of the series so far. It was much more in the spirit of the first book which I also liked very much. The second and third books were mostly sci-fi “zombie”-horror action and less character development and story. I noticed that reviewers mostly either loved or hated the forth book. It would be interesting to see if those that hated it also preferred books 2 and 3 over book 1, and vice versa. It is almost like he is writing for two different audiences with thi ...more
Mekerei
Mar 30, 2018 rated it liked it
First Colony continues

I enjoyed the first three books; this book continues with the exploration of New Earth. This book is ok, but lacks the path and drama of the previous three.

A new character, Dash, is introduced. Connor and Lenora, but heads about Dash’s actions.

I found Dash, to be annoying and impulsive. I suppose this book is about Dash learning about limits and how his actions impact others.

Three and a half stars.
Anthony
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The New Earth surprises us even more

This started slow for me, sorry I love all the space military fights. That said Ken does a great job of transitioning from the space battles to those closer to home. We learn a lot about the ryklers, Connor, Dash and more. In the end you want this to go on because we must know who the original inhabitants of New Earth are and what happened to them. Looking forward to the fifth book in this series!
Louise
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Post war drama

Some reviewers disliked this, but I found it very enjoyable and and a natural follow on from there survival from the Venus. I like the brush with post war psychology also.
All round good read and enjoy the continuing story of our hero Connor Gates!
How pleased was I to discover not only a couple of days ago Mr Lozito published the 5th book! Thought I was going to have to wait ages! Being off work sick has never been so entertaining!
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
Connor and crew think that they have everything under control but then something happens. This introduces a whole new cast of characters and possibilities. The Colonial Defense Force is in trouble, a intern is out of control and there are wild beast that have to be stopped. Lots of action, interesting dialog, additional backstory, and gaps about the world of New Earth are being filled. This starts a new trilogy with a different focus. Great to get to see Connor and friends again.
Dean Ezra
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Feels like it was added onto the end of what should have been a trilogy. As if the author wanted to focus on the new planet that Connor ended up on, but the alien invasion took him away from it in previous books. I liked this book, but found it quite predicable and alittle dull as I didn't really care for the new young upstart characters. Was the author trying to setup a new series from this one? Not the best of the series. Pity really
Andy Bradshaw
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am really enjoying reading Ken Lozito's books. He writes engaging characters that you come to care about. He keeps the narrative cracking along at a good pace and paints his worlds in rich colours. Having read and loved the Ascension Series, I wondered if I would enjoy the First Colony series as much - and I do! I'm now on to book 5 having finished "Sanctuary" inside 24 hours. Great Sci-Fi and a thoroughly enjoyable read. Well done Ken, looking forward to reading more from you!
D. E.
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A KL. SYFY. Novel (FCB. - 4)Divine Madness

KL. I as. penned the fourth novel in the First Colony series, which deals with an Ancient disease known only to man. A single individual believes he is the only leader of the new planet. The man has delved into the realm of Divine Madness, which for that one is not threatening, but when he gains followers he becomes a danger to the public and himself. This is an excellent read for the genre.....DEHS
« previous 1 3 next »

• Black Dawn (Blood on the Stars, #8)
  • The White Fleet (Blood on the Stars #7)
  • Star Rage (Stars End #3)
  • The Others (Blood on the Stars, #13)
  • Nightfall (Blood on the Stars #10)
  • Star Kill (Stars End, #2)
  • The Last Stand (Blood on the Stars #14)
  • Invasion (Blood on the Stars #9)
  • Empire's Ashes (Blood on the Stars #15)
  • The Enemy Within (Omega Force, #4)
  • The Grand Alliance (Blood on the Stars, #11)
  • Boneshaker (Terran Scout Fleet #2)
  • Star Fall (Stars End Book 4)
  • Dauntless (Blood on the Stars #6)
  • Savage Homecoming (Omega Force, #3)
  • Descent into Darkness (Blood on the Stars Book 17)
  • Legends Never Die (Omega Force #10)
  • Redemption (Omega Force, #7)
Ken Lozito is the author of multiple series in fantasy and science fiction. Ken has always loved fantasy and science fiction in all forms, including books, movies (Even the cheesy 80s B movies), and games.

Ken graduated from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro with a degree in English and Anthropology. Being a computer hobbyist led to him working in the field of IT Security for almost 2

First Colony (10 books)
  • Genesis (First Colony, #1)
  • Nemesis (First Colony, #2)
  • Legacy (First Colony #3)
  • Discovery (First Colony #5)
  • Emergence (First Colony #6)
  • Vigilance (First Colony #7)
  • Fracture (First Colony #8)
  • Harbinger (First Colony, #9)
  • Insurgent (First Colony #10)

News & Interviews

“Better to have something and not need it than to need something and not have it.” 0 likes