Start by marking “Pumpkin, a Super Food for All 12 Months of the Year” as Want to Read:
Pumpkin, a Super Food for All 12 Months of the Year

Pumpkin, a Super Food for All 12 Months of the Year

Nutritious, delicious, and amazingly versatile, pumpkin provides necessary vitamins, protein, and complex carbohydrates to a balanced and healthy diet. Reap the benefits of this superfood as you take advantage of its mellow flavor and smooth texture to add a new dimension to your favorite dishes. Using both fresh and canned pumpkin, DeeDee Stovel offers 125 easy-to-follow ...more
Published August 1st 2005 by Storey Publishing, LLC

Be the first to ask a question about Pumpkin, a Super Food for All 12 Months of the Year

Olivia & Lori (The Candid Cover)
When I saw that The Pumpkin Cookbook was available for review, I was so excited! I don’t want to wish away the summer quite yet, but the fall and all of those yummy foods that come along with it are my absolute favourites. What is notable about this book of pumpkin inspired recipes is the fact that there are many ideas to incorporate the nutritious benefits of this vegetable all year long.

I always like to try a few of the recipes for my reviews because knowing whether or not the inst
CMDH
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks, netgalley
Pumpkins, most of us have eaten them in various ways. We see them in coffee, cookies, and soups. I love Pumpkin in many recipes, cook with it often, and will readily admit Autumn is my favorite season. Food, cooking for others, is my love-language so I was beyond thrilled to get The Pumpkin Cookbook, 2nd Edition, by DeeDee Stovel.

This is not a lightweight endeavor. The book is simply visually stunning, full of images that are bright, beautiful, evoking the ingredients, recipes, season. It's a b
Angela
4 / 5 Stars
Review to come closer to release date, July 25, 2017.

Professional Reader

Review copy provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Janis Hill
I would like to thank Storey Publishing for providing me with a free electronic ARC of this book, via Netgalley, in exchange for an open and honest review.

Okay, as you can guess by the score that I wasn’t such a fan of ‘The Pumpkin Cookbook, 2nd Edition’ as I had hoped to be. I mean, I wouldn’t have requested it to review if I hadn’t thought it looked interesting. And please, don’t get me wrong, I can see this being just the right sort of pumpkin cook book for certain readers and cooks. I
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Lots of delicious recipes, especially the desserts.
T.J. Burns
I've been waiting all my life for this book!

...Excuse me now. I have to go do some cooking. I'll get back to you soon.

Update: Still going through these delicious recipes. But I can safely give my review: 5 stars!

Beautiful appealing layout, colorful photos, clear descriptions. What an eclectic and exotic mixture of recipes. Yummy, yummy, and double yummy!

Full review to come.

I received a copy of this book from Storey Publishing via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Claire
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Review: The Pumpkin Cookbook by DeeDee Stovel Published by: Storey Publishing (1st August 2017)

ISBN: 9781612128337

Source: Netgalley

Rating: 4*

Description:
From Currant-Pumpkin-Oat Scones to Chicken-Pumpkin Tacos, Pumpkin-Filled Ravioli with Fried Sage, Ginger-Pumpkin Ice Cream, and of course (seven!) pies, this comprehensive cookbook reminds us that the iconic symbol of fall is so much more than jack-o'-lantern material. These 139 recipes o
Amanda
As someone who loves pumpkin soups, baking with pumpkin substitutes, pumpkin seeds and everything pumpkin the fall can bring, I jumped at the chance to read, review and then test things from the book itself. I love that this book starts with the author getting personal about how she felt about pumpkins, and how the people in her life reacted on both sides of the fence when she said she was writing it. This whole personal beginning made it feel more like I was sitting down with a friend to swap s ...more
Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum
The Pumpkin Cookbook - 139 Nutritious Recipes for Year-Round Enjoyment by DeeDee Stovel is a gem for those who love pumpkin and those who'd like to incorporate more pumpkin into their cooking and baking repertoire.

The Pumpkin Cookbook contains a tonne of recipes (139 in fact) in a variety of categories although I was surprised to find so many recipes calling for canned unsweetened pumpkin in their list of ingredients. Very interesting.

Some of my favourite recipes included:
- Roasted carro/>The
Tari
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I volunteered to review an advanced reader copy of this which I got from NetGalley and Storey Publishing, thank you to both.

This book was not just a book of recipes featuring pumpkins but a handbook on how to prepare various types of pumpkin dishes and other interesting facts about pumpkins. I mean who knew there was such a thing as Mexican Pumpkin Lasagna or Pumpkin Turkey Medley. I never knew there were this many ways to use pumpkin in cooking because to be honest, I'm more of a p
Kristin Kiessling
A special Thank you to Netgalley for this one!
Oh my! This cookbook is filled with so many yummy and delicious pumpkin recipes . I absolutely loved the authors' introduction of the book. The way she shared tips and pumpkin stories and history throughout made this cookbook even more enjoyable. Beautiful photographs of only some of the recipes in the book were provided. I would have liked a photo included with all the recipes. My favorites so far are the recipes for punkin' joes and pumpkin
Sandra Lassiter
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fall is on its way, and with it you are already seeing pumpkin everywhere. I get a little fed up with everything being "pumpkin spice" flavor, but I do like cooking with pumpkin in the fall.

I love that this book is not just focused on your classic pumpkin dishes, but includes international dishes such as Caribbean Black Bean Pumpkin Soup, Afghani Sweek Pumpkin (Kadul), Italian Pumpkin Soup with Crushed Amaretti Cookies, Armenian Lamb Stew and more.

Give the Chocolate Pumpkin Cake a t
Tina
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pumpkins are magical to me, not sure why, but they are.

I am not a great baker/cook so I was a little intimidated by this cookbook. Fortunately, it is extremely well structured and written and the recipes are extremely easy to follow. I especially like the muffin section!

I have made 4 of the recipes so far and they have all been amazing.

Some pumpkin information at the beginning of the book serves as the "help" section of the book.

My only negative? W
Sinead
Thank you Netgalley for my review copy.

At first glance, this recipe book looked quite exciting. I made a couple of the recipes and they were pretty good - the Caribbean soup was nice. However, there were quite a few that didn't interest me and a couple that I wouldn't consider making as it included ingredients that I can't get here in the UK and did not give suitable alternatives.
I think that this cookbook must be for US primarily which is why it does not translate well.
Polly Krize
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

As the author states in her introduction, she usually gets 2 reactions to her writing a pumpkin cookbook: either "I love pumpkin" or "Why are you writing about pumpkins?" I am definitely in the 1st category and this valuable cookbook is right up my alley. Roasted, steamed, raw, seeds, delicious recipes with great pictures make this a must book for my shelf.
Erin
Oct 05, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
I judge cookbooks based on the photos of the food. I’m a visual person and in order for me to WANT to cook a recipe, I want to see beautiful pictures of the final result.

This cookbook had minimal photos of the actual food in the recipes (particularly in the “main dish” section). If you like stock photos of pumpkins, this book is great!
Jessica
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This cookbook is definitely something you would want to add to your collection of cusine books! It is simply great! I tried out some of the recipes and i must say that, so far, i've loved them all. It would be a great book to use during fall season i think. I strongly recommend it
Onceinabluemoon
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of great looking recipes, but light on photos.
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So many great recipes to try!!!
Sandy
Nov 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some really good looking recipes that I will definitely have to make!
Anisia
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish there were pictures for every recipe, but i still loved it!
John Duggan
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
so many of these are going to be tried out soon.

lots of delicious sounding pumpkin recipes from around the world.
Penmouse
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Harris
Dec 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: food-and-cookery
Sadly, in spite of pumpkin (and squash in general) being one of my favorite foods, I was less impressed with this collection of pumpkin and pumpkin inspired recipes. After trying a few different dishes, I was not inspired by any of them and I was slightly disappointed by the relative lack of fresh pumpkin recipes- far more rely on canned pumpkin, in spite of a little info on making baked or roasted puree. It's not like its that hard, but still, a little reference in the recipes themselves would ...more
AF
Sep 16, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of pumpkin
Shelves: cookbooks
I've not yet made any recipes from this book. After having checked this out from the library, I will be buying my own copy and experimenting with this lovely autumnal delight. Recipes seem reasonable and work with both fresh and canned pumpkin. Roasting/baking methods are shown and recipes in general are varied--this is NOT just a million recipes for pie and bread.
AJ
Oct 11, 2010 rated it did not like it
Jen
Jan 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Love, love, love this cookbook! I'm so glad I now have creative ways to get more pumpkin into our meals/snacks all year round!
Marina
Feb 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
The chocolate chip pumpkin bread is awesome (I made muffins) and I've made some others. Long live the versitile pumpkin (at least the good eating ones--not the tasteless jack o'lantern ones).
Erika
Decent ideas but nothing new really. I just love pumpkin. Pumpkin everything.
Linda Abhors the New GR Design
Jun 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Too bad I'm off pumpkin the last couple of years.........I liked most of the recipes in this book!