Start by marking “The Art of Taxidermy” as Want to Read:
The Art of Taxidermy

The Art of Taxidermy

Lottie collects dead creatures and lovingly cares for them, hoping to preserve them, to save them from disintegration. Her father understands—Lottie has a scientific mind, he thinks. Her aunt wants it to stop, and she goes to cruel lengths to make sure it does.

And her mother? Lottie’s mother died long ago. And Lottie is searching for a way to be close to her.

The Art of Ta
Published August 13th 2019 by Text Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Taxidermy, please sign up.

Start your review of The Art of Taxidermy
MischaS_
Nov 08, 2019 rated it liked it
***Advance Review Copy generously provided through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I'm not even going to lie here; I picked up this book only because I loved the cover.

I had no idea what it was about. Or what genre it was.

So, what a surprise it was for me when I opened the book and verses were staring back at me, which was a bit shocking because I tried to stay away from modern poetry.
However, after finishing, I would say that it was more of prose written in verse. But that's besid
Maja  - BibliophiliaDK ✨
AMAZING, HOW SO MUCH CAN BE CONVEYED WITH SO FEW WORDS

Full confession first - I actually had no idea this would be a verse novel when I started it. I have never read a novel written in verse before, so it took a little while to get into it. But once I did, I actually found myself enjoying the lyrical writing. I was fascinated by the topic of grief and coping with loss but, sadly, the repetitive plot dragged the book down in my opinion. Still worth the read though!

"Her name was always spo
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
The Art of Taxidermy has a lot going for it: beautiful writing, excellent crafting, and a look at grief that is nothing short of raw. Lottie's mother has passed, and Lottie has taken up an interest in science and death; specifically, she is captivated by dead animals and taxidermy. Her father indulges her, appreciates her scientific mind, and it's entirely possible that it's an interest she would have taken up with or without the grief she's experienced, but something about the obsessive nature ...more
Esther
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, netgalley
Thanks to Netgalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I usually avoid poetry books, and I didn't even know this was a poetry book. I just requested it on Netgalley because the cover and blurb seemed attractive.
I'm so glad that I got to read this book, because it was beautiful, small and big at the same time. Sad, but beautiful, yes.

A longer review can be found at BiteIntoBooks

Small, yet big. Cryptic, yet easy to understand. A book that made me believe tha
Max
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biology, net-galley
This is a very beautiful novel. It's a story about a young girl struggling with death and a fascination for taxidermy. The writing is very poetic and flowing, and makes for easy reading. This is a quick read, but will leave you thinking about it.

The book has pretty illustrations that add to the story. A small warning for if you have trouble with detailed descriptions of dead animals, it's not too intense in my opinion but if you're squeamish easily, this might not be a book for you.

Thanks to the
✨Brithanie Faith✨
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
4/5 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐

ARC provided by Netgalley and Text Publishing in exchange for an honest review!

The Art Of Taxidermy by Sharon Kernot is the story of a young girls fascination with death that begins after the passing of her mother! Told in verse, this novel explores grief, and how we deal with death after the fact as we try our best to make sense of things moving forward!

This was such a beautifully written novel that packs a pretty hefty punch! I'm generally not someone who gravitates towards st
Text Publishing
‘In lyrical language, Kernot draws a comparison between the Australian bush and death: both are beautiful and desolate at once.’
Readings

‘Kernot’s writing is imbued with life and grace and moments of infectious joy.’
SA Weekend

‘Kernot has created an intriguing tale of mystery and the imagination with a haunting ambience that the ghost of Edgar Allan Poe would recognise and admire…this is a delightful story about grief transformed and the urge to resurrect and to re-create.’
Saturday Paper

‘This
Marianne
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“The corellas were grazing
with a scatter of galahs.
We sat on a fallen log
and watched them squabble and tussle,
beat their wings and waddle
like hook-nosed old men
with their arms tucked
behind their backs.”

The Art of Taxidermy is the second novel by Australian author, Sharon Kernot. Eleven-year-old Charlotte has just developed a fascination with dead creatures. She can see their beauty, and wants to keep her collection in her room. Her father, Wolfgang is understanding, but Aunt Hilda is disgusted:
Zitong Ren
Provided by the State Library Victoria as part of the Inky Awards.

I wanted to like this book more than I did, and this was my second experience ever with a verse-novel, especially after I quite enjoyed the first one. The concept is also real interesting and challenges a lot of things with modern day society, it really does, though I can’t help think that this book was simply really boring. It took me five days to read this little thing, and while I had stuff on, I can generally finish a book lik
Lauren Stoolfire
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The Art of Taxidermy by Sharon Kernot is a novel in verse that explores death and grief as well as how we deal with it all. Novels in verse aren't normally my go-to style, but this is absolutely worthy reading. Due to the style, it can go very quickly if you don't slow down to savor it. Kernot's writing is wonderfully lyrical and rhythmical, yet somewhat spare. It can be a bit repetitive at times though. I wouldn't say the book is
Lolly K Dandeneau
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
via my blog: https://bookstalkerblog.wordpress.com/
'She carried everything lightly, as only the dead and innocent can.'

In The Art of Taxidermy, we meet young Lottie whose passion for ‘revising’ dead creatures has her Aunt Hilda horrified, more so that her father Wolfgang encourages her by buying her glass aquariums to ‘contain the fusty fug of death’ within. To his mind, she isn’t the freak Aunt Hilda believes her to be, she just has a scientific bend of mind, it’s ‘in her genes’. No sir! Girls
Tamsien West (Babbling Books)
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: australia, ya, arc
The Art of Taxidermy is an Australian YA verse novel about grief & love. This style was a first for me, but after a few pages I found myself swept away by the rhythm of the story. The focus is on a young girl dealing with the loss of her mother, but there is also mention of internment camps in Australia for German, Italian and Japanese families during WWII and the Stolen Generation.

A fascinating, and beautiful read filled with sadness and hope.
Sheena ☆ Oh, the Sheenanigans!

“The Art of Taxidermy” left me pleasantly surprised and would definitely say it’s not for everyone specially if you’re not typically taken with verse novels (that is a type of narrative poetry in which a novel-length narrative is told through the medium of poetry rather than prose.) It was a unique and refreshing tale that told a tale about coping with loss and the grieving process, and would highly recommended to readers who aren’t afraid to step out their comfort zone.

Queen Cronut
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, arcs, netgalley, verse
A lyrical and moving novel told in verse about a young girl's fascination with death as she copes with the loss of her mother.

Charlotte, or Lottie, has a passion for dead creatures as she sees their unique beauty and wants to preserve them in a collection. While her father, Wolfgang, supports his daughter's interest, her aunt Hilda is appalled and would like to see her niece into more girlish not ghoulish hobbies. I liked that this novel explored the gender roles of women at the time and how ce
Clare Snow
The revival and
re-creation of something
that has expired
is an honour
and a gift

Thanks Text Publishing for this gem of a book. I didn't mean to take 4 months to finish.

The book design by Imogen Stubbs and illustration by Edith Rewa is superb.
Meaghan
Aug 19, 2019 marked it as dnf
I feel bad for another dnf, but these books just haven't been clicking with me lately.

I read the first 45% of this book fairly quickly, it flew by and I could just keep going and going. However, after I had stopped, I wasn't able to make myself pick it back up again. I realized I just didn't have a connection with the characters nor was intrigued by the story and family history that this book seemed to be building to, and with the book needing to be nearing more action/reveals/tension, I didn't
Arybo ✨
3.75

They are perfect - perfectly dead.

Charlotte lost her mother and her sister, and her father never recovered from their loss. So Lottie started looking for beauty in the world, for something to connect herself with the lost ones. She found out that animals were magical and beautiful in their fragility. Animals were pure beauty and were so full of life that she wanted to collect them. But animals could die, so she undertook her journey to collect a beuty that never dies.

The air is heavy wi
madde
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
this was really good!! a really quick read, 231 pages written in verse that i flew through in just a couple of hours. it was beautiful, dark and heartbreaking. it amazed me how much could be said with so few words. really, a stunning book, but it got a little repetitive in the end.

really recommend this to anyone who wants something dark and quick with death as it’s main theme and with characters you start to care about from the start.
Danielle
Apr 23, 2019 rated it liked it
~ I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review ~

“I keep them because I love them. I keep them because they are beautiful. And then I surprised myself and said: I keep them because they remind me of Mother.”

Coping with grief is a hard task for anyone, let alone a little girl who is struggling to deal with the passing of her mother. However, Lottie finds comfort within death itself as she develops a fascination with taxidermy.

Although I wouldn’t normally fin
SaraEmmy
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was sent a copy of this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Lottie is fascinated by dead animals. She collects them, at the same time horrifying her aunt. Her father both encourages her to find her way and tries to placate her aunt. It's not easy being a single parent, and what really happened to Lottie's mother?

This is a novel in lyrical form, which is new for me, and it was a heartbreakingly beautiful read. You get small clues into the main characters life and history all along
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: loveozya, text
The Art of Taxidermy is an exceptional verse narrative of grief, loss and finding solace in the world around us. Charlotte is a young lady yearning for her mother who has passed, her father seemingly disinterested in his surviving daughter, his sister and Charlotte's aunt assuming the role of primary caregiver. Through her taxidermy specimens, Charlotte finds cathartic release, gently and lovingly seeing beauty within death and sorrow.

Beautifully and rhythmically written, Sharon Kernot has creat
Teresa
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you to NetGalley, Sharon Kernot, and Text Publishing for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.

Two things drew me to request this novel: the fact that it is written in a poetic format, and my own odd interest in taxidermy. When I taught 8th grade, one of the stories taught in the short story unit is Roald Dahl's "The Landlady," a creepy story in which the Landlady of a bed and breakfast keeps her guests...forever! It's a fun creepy tale that introduces students
Louise-Andree
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
***ARC provided by Netgalley and Text Publishing Company in exchange for an honest review***

4.50*

Okay, I'll start by saying that I was completely drawn to the cover; how beautiful is it. And though the subject of taxidermy isn't something that actually interest me, I was still completely curious about it and wanted to read a story based on it. I'm glad I was able to read this as it's my first verse novel, which is totally new to me. It is beautiful written, poetic almost.

Meet Lottie, a young gir
Anniek
May 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I requested this book because I've loved most of the verse novels I've read so far, but this is a no from me.

The writing style is actually good, but the descriptions of dead and decaying animals really grossed me out (although I concede that that's a me thing). For most of this book, I was just kind of bored, and I found that it wasn't really for me. So nothing too amazing, but nothing too terrible either.

But then... Did this white author... really have to use the N word? Short answer: no, not a
Shirin
May 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
Just don’t write the N-word, is that so fucking hard?

I hate white people
Pamela ✨I Blame Wizards✨
The Art of Taxidermy by Sharon Kernot felt like it was written for me. While my emotional circumstances didn’t align with the narrator, Lottie, everything else in the story felt so familiar that it really resonated. I chose The Art of Taxidermy as my book for my May Reading Challenge, and for the theme, I chose a book depicting my country. Honestly, I couldn’t have picked a better one.

The Art of Taxidermy is a slow burn, and I must admit, it wasn’t at all what I was expecting. It’s described as
Liz Derouet
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: magpies-review
A beautiful verse novel about grief and the importance of loved ones.
This is for all ages.
Full review to appear in Magpies Magazine .
- ̗̀  jess  ̖́-
I revived them all.
Imagined them coming to life
with the magic of taxidermy,

which didn't just preserve--
but brought them back
from the dead.

The Art of Taxidermy is a novel written in free verse about grief and loss and death, and its depiction of these topics is so raw and honest. There's a lot of morbidity in this book--how could there not be when it's about amateur taxidermy?--but ultimately it offers optimism and healing and the idea that life can come from death, in a way. The Art of Taxi
Mari Johnston
Mar 25, 2019 rated it liked it
This review and many others can also be found at Musings of a (Book) Girl.

This was one that did not click with me as much as I was hoping. When I came across The Art of Taxidermy on NetGalley, the title and cover art immediately intrigued me. Then, when I saw that it was written in verse, I immediately hit the request button. Verse novels are my absolute favorite, so it’s a pretty guaranteed way to get me to read your book.

Sharon Kernot really is a great poet. Her words are beautiful and flow to
Books by Kimi
I really liked this book. It was very dark and heavy, with death as the biggest topic, but it was also beautifully written and you felt deeply for the main character, Charlotte, and her family. They have a tragic past as refugees from Germany during the war and they have lost both friends and family members - Charlotte's mother included.

Charlotte is confused about death and since the adults won't explain it to her, it makes sense that it occupies her mind and she turns to taxidermy to try and "
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »