Start by marking “How Can Man Die Better: The Life Of Robert Sobukwe” as Want to Read:
How Can Man Die Better: The Life Of Robert Sobukwe

How Can Man Die Better: The Life Of Robert Sobukwe

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  104 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
‘I am greatly privileged to have known him and to have fallen under his spell. His long imprisonment, restriction and early death were a major tragedy for our land and for the world.’
– Archbishop Desmond Tutu on Sobukwe

On 21 March 1960, Robert Mangaliso Sobukwe led a mass defiance of South Africa’s pass laws. He urged blacks to go to the nearest police station and demand
Hardcover, Updated Edition, 419 pages
Published 2006 by Jonathan Ball Publishers (first published May 24th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about How Can Man Die Better, please sign up.

Sipho Ndimande Robert Sobukwe would have chosen scientific socialism instead of neo-liberalism in order to cater for everyone rather than a few.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Sipho Ndimande A coparison cannot be made since Robert Sobukwe was on a programme of action while Luthuli was trying to confuse the masses by de-campaigning in…moreA coparison cannot be made since Robert Sobukwe was on a programme of action while Luthuli was trying to confuse the masses by de-campaigning in retaliation. The PAC was the first organisation to resist the pass laws. The reason for this was that the dompass was a burdge of slavery.(less)

Phumlani
Aug 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me start by saying I am not a huge fan of biographies,i much prefer auto biographies, I feel auto biographies are a bit more..Personal. Anyway, I approached this book with a hint of cynicism, thinking Pogrund had just written it merely as an academic exercise...but boy was i wrong! This book conjured a lot of emotions in my usually immovable heart, mainly awe, envy and something akin to sympathy, but not sympathy, I’m yet to be able to label that emotion. This man was a legend, albeit a lone ...more
Fadesola
Feb 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Cape Town is the most beautiful place while simultaneously being its ugliest. Robert Sobukwe links both the past and present of South African oppression in ways few people ever can.

I purchased this book upon my visit to Robben Island in Cape Town souvenir on a bit of impulse after our tour guide showed us where his solitary confinement was located. Although a bit too dryly written considering it is an account of the relationship rather than a detached biograhy, it does a decent job in it portray
Rebecca Davis
Jul 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is almost a definitive history of the struggle against apartheid from a South African perspective other than Mandela's.

Robert Sobukwe was a member of the PAC (Pan-Africanist Congress) instead of the ANC. He was a brilliant mind and so feared by the Nationalist Party (the political party in power that instated Apartheid) that he was held in prison not for his deeds but from fear of what he would do. Read my whole review here: http://rebeccafjellanddavis.com/rober...
The book is work because
Stephen Bess
Jan 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great book about a great South African. He's the reason I am married. It's a long story, but my close friends understand.
Sicelo
Mar 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Benjamin Pogrund's account of the political life of Robert Mangaliso Sobukhwe does not only provide illumination and insight into the mind of this great leader of South Africa's liberation struggle but also weaves neatly a tapestry of circumstances underwhich the struggle for liberation occurred and how each of the leadership components interacted as well as the extent to which such vital cooperation aided the process.

It is a delightful read especially also to the extent that it exposes to a de
Jaydee Tarpeh
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book! Not just a biography of Sobukwe but a history of South Africa. Pogrund beautifully shows Bob Sobukwe as a person and a legend. So So powerful! I would read again and again.
Corey Holmes
Dec 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Sobukwe was the brightest of all South African robben island captives.....leader of the PAC and a professor at Wits, the Harvard of the east......he died to young people in Kimberly away from all he knew and loved...
Baniza
May 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: borrowed
I always had a great admiration for Robert Sobukwe, the founder of the Pan African Congress ( a break-away from the African National Congress), who also inspired the Black Consciouness Movement.
Mpho
  • A Blaze of Autumn Sunshine: The Last Diaries
  • The Unlikely Secret Agent
  • The True Confessions of an Albino Terrorist
  • The Jack Bank: A Memoir of a South African Childhood
  • 117 Days: An Account of Confinement and Interrogation Under the South African 90-Day Detention Law
  • The Lion Sleeps Tonight: And Other Stories of Africa
  • Shirley, Goodness & Mercy: A Childhood in Africa
  • Saving the White Lions: One Woman's Battle for Africa's Most Sacred Animal
  • Winnie Mandela: A Life
  • The Great Penguin Rescue: 40,000 Penguins, a Devastating Oil Spill, and the Inspiring Story of the World's Largest Animal Rescue
  • Eight Days in September
  • Dog Eat Dog
  • Begging to Be Black
391912
Benjamin Pogrund was born in South Africa and was deputy editor of the Rand Daily Mail in Johannesburg. He now lives in Jerusalem and is founder director of Yakar's Center for Social Concern. He has written three books: about Robert Sobukwe, Nelson Mandela, and the press under apartheid, and is co-editor of Shared Histories: A Palestinian-Israeli Dialogue.
More about Benjamin Pogrund...

Nonfiction Deals

$11.99 $1.99
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Sea Around Us
    $17.99 $1.99
“But the price of freedom is blood, toil and tears. This consolation I have, however, that Africa never forgets. And these martyrs of freedom, these young and budding women, will be remembered and honoured when Africa comes into her own.” 1 likes