Start by marking “Here to Stay” as Want to Read:
Here to Stay

Here to Stay

For most of high school, Bijan Majidi has flown under the radar. He gets good grades, reads comics, hangs out with his best friend, Sean, and secretly crushes on Elle, one of the most popular girls in his school. When he’s called off the basketball team’s varsity bench and makes the winning basket in a playoff game, everything changes in an instant.

But not everyone is happ
Published September 18th 2018 by Algonquin Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Here to Stay, please sign up.
Hannah Ens
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Here to Stay
Cristina Monica
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
99 percent of people who read this book enjoyed it. Isn’t that crazy and awesome? I shouldn’t be surprised, because this was a wonderfully-written and deeply-moving story, but the only other book I’m aware of that has the same percentage of enjoyment is Michelle Obama’s memoir.

In the past couple of years I have witnessed many books exploring themes of racism and homophobia surface. Not all of them are well-told. Not all of them convey a clear positive message. Not all of them make it on my list
Catie
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
How could a book about racism, homophobia, and “The Age of Assholes” make me laugh SO MUCH? I still can’t fully articulate why, but this book was such a bright spot in my life last week. Amidst ever more depressing news stories, this book felt like spending time with a good friend – an unapologetically dorky, loyal, witty, and authentic friend who would probably let me pick the movie and would stay to help clean up afterwards.

Bijan Majidi is such a friend, and he also reminds me of so many stude
Joey Rambles
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
You're going to read a lot of reviews soon about how incredibly relevant and timely this book is, which it is.

But that's not the only thing that makes this book successful.

I mean, it's certainly an important factor. We need more diverse books. The books we read, especially as kids, help build the context in which we view the world. Diverse books help us understand the problems of lives we will never live out, as well as give minorities a chance to see themselves as the hero.

But much like The Ha
Kelly
Bijan is, to put it loosely, kind of a dork. And he's really confident in being that. He loves basketball and is a JV on his private school's team. But when he's subbed in during a big game and makes the game-clinching shot, he finds himself suddenly elbow to elbow with a crew of cool kids he never hung out with before.

But it's not all good. Not all of those kids like him. Bijan becomes an outlet for their overt racist and Islamophobic behavior in a way. While acknowledged at school, it's not t
Eilonwy
When Bijan gets bumped up from JV to varsity on his private school basketball team, his life gets complicated. Some people are happy for him -- he suddenly has a shot at hanging out with the popular kids -- and others, including some of those popular kids, resent his new success. Things get even more complicated when he gets caught up in efforts to change the school mascot, and finds himself the target of an anonymous hate campaign.
For a pretty short, quick read, this book had a lot of subs
Ivy
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: came-soon-18-19, arcs
Full review: https://bookpeopleteens.wordpress.com...

Great for fans of Adib Khorram, Here to Stay reads like a much more PG and socially relevant The Foxhole Court. A short and true-to-life story about growing up in The Age of Assholes, where cyberbullying can affect someone much more than words, and ignorance is just a click away. Dribbling onto the scene, this book, like Bijan, fights for its rightful place on top of the scoreboard/your TBR list. Rating: five... basketballs, I guess?/five>

Favo
Manon the Malicious
Apr 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, scribd
*4.5 Stars*

A captivating and important read. Interesting characters and plot, fast read. I really liked it.
Bijan is a nerd. He loves reading comics and Stephen King books and joking around with his best friend. He falls all over himself when trying to talk to girls. He’s also a nerd about basketball — he knows exactly when and why long shorts came back into popularity, and his life is narrated (in his head at least) by two bantery sports announcers. And although he’s always just been on JV, he gets called up to Varsity for a big game, and actually makes the key play.

Suddenly people he doesn’t even k
Marjo
i finished it and i have concluded that i want to marry bijan. hes such a kind, soft boy and he deserves better than all the racist crap he deals with in this book.

but in all seriousness, i really liked this a lot. i enjoyed the characters and their relationships felt so real. i adored the friendship bijan built with stephanie especially, but his bromance with shawn, his close relationship with his mom (who is the best and i wish we'd gotten to see more of her!), and his super cute crush on elle
grieshaber.reads
Hooray! It’s a sports book with substance!! When JV player, Bijhan, gets called in at the end of the 4th quarter and makes the winning basket, securing his team a ticket to the playoffs, he earns a spot on Varsity and a shot at the girl. But, nope, it’s not happily-ever-after for Bijhan. When some of the other basketball players get jealous of Bijhan taking the spotlight away from him, they begin an anonymous campaign to get Bijhan labeled a terrorist (get it? Because he’s of Middle Eastern desc ...more
Ms. Yingling
Jul 11, 2018 rated it liked it
ARC provided by Young Adult Books Central

Bijan Majidi does okay in high school-- he has a good friend, Sean, is on the basketball team, and while he might be a little clueless about girls, he hopes that things will improve. After doing well enough on the basketball court to be moved to the varsity team, he hopes that he will catch the attention of his crush, Elle. Instead, after his victory on the court and a stint helping Stephanie Bergner gather signatures for a petition to remove "Gunners" as
Kristel
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was going to live my life. I was going to spend time with people who cared about me and whom I cared about. I was going to be comfortable in my own skin even when some people wanted to make that impossible for me.

Important, frustrating, emotional, and funny! I didn't get much of the sport's terminology, but I still was on edge when they were playing.

PLOT ----
The story follows Bijan’s life in high school; he’s part of the basketball team, is shy and has a crush on a beautiful girl. People, base
Ian
Oct 20, 2018 added it
Seems I'm in the minority on this one. First of all: we need more YA books featuring diverse protagonists. For a really strong read, see I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter by Erika L. Sanchez or Marcelo in the Real World by Francisco Stork or The Book of Unknown Americans by Cristina Henriquez or Darius and Twig by Walter Dean Myers.

The premise of this is rife with potential. Bijan is a 6 foot 8 or so Jordanian American teen who gets a shot to play on his private school's varsity basketball
A.R. Hellbender
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is such a good story with the hard hitting relevance of The Hate U Give and Dear Martin (no one gets shot, but it still revolves around getting justice for a hate crime, and there are so many great quotes about what life can be like for people of color).

There is so much diversity in this book as well. Not only is Bijan half Persian and half Arab, but his best friend is Japanese (and has 2 moms), the love interest is black (and so is another friend of his), and 2 other significant characters
McKinlay Dennis
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poc-authors, diverse, 2018
*i received an ARC of this book from edelweiss and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.*

This book basically solidified Farizan as an autobuy author for me.

Bijan is a sweet, brave, loving, loyal protagonist. The romances were adorable. I was invested in so many of the characters! The friendships were amazing. And on top of all that, the way this book tackles Islamophobia and racism is relatable in a way most books aren’t. AND it’s funny! I can’t recommend it enough.
Britta Lundin
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sports
Powerful storytelling, and still funny. This book made me take notes.
Natalie
Nov 11, 2018 added it
Shelves: contemporary-ya, ya
Leaving off a rating because this wasn't exactly my thing but it's really thoughtful and smart and if I was a school/teen librarian, I would be shoving this into teenagers' hands as fast as I could.
Samantha Jayne
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book starts out not great - terrible dialogue and the plot is a stereotypical early 2000s teen film, but it develops into important discussions in a more believable - not crazy over the top manner.

There are some aspects of the book I didn’t love - like the odd dialogue from two “sports commentators”; however, I think this books brings up issues white communities don’t consider or think about in a really approachable way. This is a must have in any young adult library right now.
Amanda Upton
Mar 10, 2020 rated it liked it
This book is valuable in terms of its articulation of the Impact of the ignorant actions of and bigoted viewpoints (somehow and sickeningly) held by many people in America. I would recommend it to students for that reason alone. However, a lot of the dialogue and narration is so cringey that I almost didn’t make it past chapter 2. Ultimately, I’m glad I stuck it out.
Lane Joslin
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Is it differences or insecurity that make people hate? In Here to Stay, experienced novel writer Sara Farizan writes a book that connects to the prominent issues and addresses common stereotypes. Bijan Majidi is Iranian and attends Granger School. He gets involved in a quarrel with a varsity basketball teammate, and that night an email is sent to the school portraying him as the face of the school mascot: a gunman. His relationships change, and he is forced to confront the issue: racism.
This bo
Kate Welsh
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019, ya
An unfortunately timely read right now. This deals with heavy topics in a way that feels real but not depressing, with humor and heart, and the characters are lovable and flawed.
Becca
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
A book hasn’t made me laugh like this in a long time. Maybe it’s because I just finished a book about death. But Here to Stay was so good. Here’s some of my favorite choices Farizan made:

She showed a disconnect between individual interactions and ingrained prejudice. When Bijan performs well during games, his peers shower him with praise and are eager to “claim” him. Something similar happens to Shirin in A Very Large Expanse of Sea. They’re venerated because they boost their school’s reputation
Ryan Robidoux
Wow. This book was such an enjoyable and smart read, I read it in less than 24 hours. It handles issues like bullying, xenophobia, Islamophobia, and white privilege gracefully and authentically. Bijan is a lovable main character; he isn't perfect, but he's real, has real hopes and desires and hobbies and friends. The characters are all so authentic and diverse (not just in race and sexual orientation, but in things like personalities and goals); each of the characters felt very separate and uniq ...more
Michelle Arredondo
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Such serious topics...and yet I was laughing throughout the pages. Here to Stay...aaaah, it pulls at your heart strings.

You will fall in love with Bijan. You will fall in love and in frustration and back in love with the entire story. So much emotion. You can't be invisible to adversity if you are someone that comes from a different culture than everyone else around you. Bijan faces that adversity. It's powerful....witty.... warm...and moving.

Highly recommend.

Thanks to goodreads and to Algonq
Renata
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a really refreshing, nuanced story! I loove Bijan as a character/narrator, he's such a funny and self-aware kid. I liked seeing him excel at basketball and yet navigate the difficult terrain of "popularity" combined with an array of race/religion/class-based micro- (and macro-) aggressions. But also, it's funny! A great pick for fans of contemporary realistic YAs in general but also, I think sporty enough to hand to teens who just want sports books! (Which is tricky because there aren't ...more
Alenka
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult, queer
I cannot stop thinking about this fantastic book and one of my favorite things about it is that Farizan's characters find common ground in their experiences as minorities at a mostly white private school, but there's no "everyone is unique and we will only focus on shared struggles" bs. No one can quite relate to Bijan's experience, not even his mom, because she doesn't experience the daily troubles he does at school. He has to cope in his own way - which largely involves bottling up his feeling ...more
USOM
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
(Disclaimer: I received this free book from the publisher. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

Here to Stay hits you from the first paragraphs about how people of color don't get happy endings in stories like everyone else. I mean, come on. Why do you have to hit my emotions like that from the beginning Farizan? And the rest of the book goes on just like this - being all thought provoking and wonderful. Seriously timely, this book is one I want to share with everyone I
Reba
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a good read on so many levels. It addressed many current, controversial issues including (but not limited to) bullying, cyberbullying, racism, classism, and immigration. The author is local, and I heard her speak at an event in the fall. This may have swayed me a bit when reading, because I really liked her. I feel like I need to delve into this review more, but my brain feels like mush. To be continued...
Gianni P
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’ve always loved stories with sports and young adult genres. In Here to Stay, by Sara Farizan the main character Bijan Majidi faces many conflicts. Mainly all of the conflicts that occur during the story happen at Bijan’s high school, Granger High in New England. Bijan is a normal high school student that is on the JV basketball team. One day he becomes the new star at Granger High when he gets called up to varsity and makes the game winning basket. He goes from an average JV player to varsity ...more
Claudia Silk
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A heart warming, heart wrenching and funny young adult novel. Bijan is a prep school student in 11th grade who has flown under the radar of the cool kids until he is pulled up from jv basketball to varsity and scores the winning basket. Suddenly Bijan is thrown into the spotlight and not all of the attention is good because he is of Middle Eastern descent in a predominately white school. This book will make you think, will make you laugh and will make you sorry when it is over.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Barely Missing Everything
  • After The Shot Drops
  • Jackpot
  • Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You
  • Price of Duty
  • Camp Valor (Camp Valor #1)
  • Internment
  • The Unfortunates
  • Patron Saints of Nothing
  • Darius the Great Is Not Okay (Darius The Great, #1)
  • Between the Lines
  • Sorry For Your Loss
  • We'll Fly Away
  • This is My Brain in Love
  • Hearts Unbroken
  • The Revolution of Birdie Randolph
  • Neanderthal Opens the Door to the Universe
  • Anger Is a Gift
Sara Farizan was born on August 2, 1984 in Massachusetts. Her parents immigrated from Iran in the seventies, her father a surgeon and her mother a homemaker. Sara grew up feeling different in her private high school not only because of her ethnicity but also because of her liking girls romantically, her lack of excitement in science and math, and her love of writing plays and short stories. So she ...more

Articles featuring this book

Caroline Tung Richmond is an award-winning YA author and the program director of We Need Diverse Books. Run by authors, librarians, teac...
“Because hate doesn't just touch the intended target, it spreads to every person who witnesses it.” 2 likes
“It felt kind of good to scream. I wished it were socially acceptable to scream more often. Not in class or anything, but maybe there could be some roped-off area or campus designated for screaming your cares away.” 2 likes