Start by marking “Latin for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Latin for Dummies

Latin for Dummies (For Dummies)

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  152 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
This title provides complete coverage of all Latin language essentials including grammar, usage and vocabulary to have readers reading and speaking Latin in no time. There are many examples to give readers language skills they can use immediately, no matter what their reason for studying.
Published January 22nd 2002 by For Dummies

To ask other readers questions about Latin for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Latin for Dummies

Kbord
Jul 24, 2009 rated it liked it
I learned a few things from this book--mostly concepts (such as declensions) more than actual vocabulary. I get the feeling that this book would do much better as a refresher for someone who actually studied Latin in school than as a textbook of sorts for the absolute beginner.

I finally gave up on the grammar stuff (after about chapter 2) and flipped through the book reading the historical and cultural side bars, which were interesting to me. Heck, I even enjoyed some of the inside jokes for Lat
Alex Kartelias
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you're looking for a way to introduce your self to basic latin vocabulary and grammar, this is a necessary book. What I've always loved about these, "dummie" books is that they can spur a lot of interest in a subject that can very well be dry and methodical. This book is filled with quick facts from roman history, quotes from famous latin philosophers and poets and illuminating translations of latin words- used in church, law, anatomy, botany- that are within the arsenal of the english langua ...more
Wendy Joyce
Sep 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
Far too much of the book surrounds using Latin in casual conversations--which most people aren't looking to do--and far too little of the book addresses Latin's use in medicine and law--which would have been beneficial.
C. R. Powers
Apr 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Nice overall, really cool.
Riobhcah
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: latin
I was quite disgusted that in this book, the macrons over the long vowels were not used. Even the Ancient Romans used them and the beginning student certainly needs to learn them as a part of the spelling of a word, just like in French, for example, one needs to learn the words with the accents. If the macrons had been included, I might have considered giving this book four stars, but without the macrons, it is not possible for me to do so. It is so much easier to learn to do something right the ...more
DrosoPHila
Mar 24, 2016 rated it did not like it
Somewhat different from a traditional Latin textbook such as Wheelock's Latin . Instead of containing pedagogically badly presented material relevant to its irrelevant subject, this instead mostly consists of irrelevant (or at least tangential) material, with a few grammar tables thrown in, maintaining the long tradition of awful pedagogy in Latin instruction, albeit in a slightly innovative manner.
Siw
Jan 09, 2013 rated it liked it
While I haven't read all of this book, what I have read I have found informative and entertaining. I am studying latin, so it is a bit confusing to read as in norwegian the terminology is at times different, also, the order of nominativ, genitiv etc is different than in norwegian.

But, I did find this much better than the other 'for dummies' book, so this book actually can be used as a reference guide. Leave it to latin teachers to actually make sense!

My goal is at some point to read the whole b
D.J.
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
After having studied Latin language for eight years I bought this book as a refresher course. It is not a bad deal for $11 from Amazon.com. However, it leaves a lot to be said and explained. I think the author could've included more written examples of Roman classic prose and poetry. This book is basically perfect for those that have never taken any Latin courses and are not familiar with the Latin language at all.
Adam82
Jan 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
After watching the movie The Exorcism of Emely Rose, I was inspired to learn Latin, Greek, and Hebrew. This was the best way at the time to learn. It has a lot of historical facts that I would strongly recommend reading.
Ann Keller
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent resource! I learned a lot about how the Romance languages are related to each other and derived from Latin, as well. Very informative about Roman culture and customs, too.
  • Italian for Dummies
  • Frugal Living for Dummies
  • Forensics for Dummies
  • Medical Terminology for Dummies
  • U.S. History For Dummies
  • Irish History for Dummies (For Dummies)
  • Singing for Dummies
  • Genealogy Online for Dummies

For Dummies (1 - 10 of 104 books)
  • Accounting for Dummies