Start by marking “Bootsie Barker Bites” as Want to Read:
Bootsie Barker Bites

Bootsie Barker Bites

Seeing bully Bootsie Barker get her comuppance is guaranteed to make young readers smile.

It's the worst when Bootsie Barker comes to my house. Bootsie's the one who pulls my hair and tears my books. She hates Charlene, my pet salamander. She says that I'm a turtle and she's a turtle-eating dinosaur.

Uh-oh, I think I hear a car pulling up. That's her now! Eeek!

"The colorful
Published May 19th 1997 by Puffin Books (first published September 16th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Bootsie Barker Bites, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bootsie Barker Bites

Traci
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
We've all known a Bootsie Barker and in this telltale picture book, Bootsie Barker finally gets what she deserves which made me very happy.

Written by Barbara Bottner, illustrated by Peggy Rathmann and published by Scholastic.

#PB #bullying #outsmart
Christy
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it

Uh-oh, I think I hear a car pulling up. That's her now! Eeek!

"The colorful cartoon and wash drawings, filled with amusing detail, perfectly express the terroristic tactics and the narrator's frustrati
Melody
Oct 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: aloud
The story, about Bootsie who bites, is slight but enjoyable. The illustrations really made the book for me. Bootsie's teeth are fearsome. Bootsie's shadow is terrifying. The colors are bright and punchy and blocky, but the characters come to life. Charlene the salamander is, unsurprisingly, my favorite character. She speaks volumes with her posture.
Emlen
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a big hit among our students, frequently requested, including by one who refers to it as "the bite-hair-pull book." It's actually a little old for them, but they get enough of it to enjoy it, and have a LOT of questions about what they don't get. The illustrations are full of fun little details to pick up on.
Julie
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wakalix
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Amusing picture book about a girl who has a problem with an obnoxious peer, and comes up with a creative and amusing way to solve the problem. Good story about self-reliance.
Bari
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am a big fan of Barbara Bottner

You can't go wrong with any of her books, they are all great
Jo
Jan 07, 2017 rated it liked it
I think the girl in this book is rude, so I didn't give it a high rating.
Elise
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The issue of bullying is very prevalent in today’s society and schooling systems. The book, “Bootsie Barker Bites”, addresses this issue in a way which children can understand. From the first page of the book when Bootsie is introduced, Bootsie has a mean grin on her face like she is going to cause trouble. When Bootsie plays, she is very controlling and mean to her friend. She acts like a dinosaur who is out to eat her friend and pins her to the ground by holding her hair. When Bootsie’s mom re ...more
Elena Nagornaya
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
A hilarious book about two mom's that are best friends, but the same is not true for their daughters. Bootsie is a little monster and doesn't get along with the other girl. The story ends with an entertaining twist.

Levels

Jessica Schuerman
May 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
(Contemporary Realist Fiction)
The main character in this story was a girl named Booties. She was a very control girl, when it came time to playing with her friend. Booties always has to do things her way, so when the two girls are playing she decides to be a dinosaur. Her friend doesn't like the dinosaurs, so she wishes Booties will fall off Earth and never come back. Until one day her friend came up with an idea to be a paleontologist. That causes Booties run out of the house and go back with h
Susan
Sep 12, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books-jp
The bully and the hapless victim perfectly characterized - and while I understand the whole empower yourself concept, the way the mother of the girl who is being picked on just tells her to not allow Bootsie to pick on her plays into the "work it out for yourself" parenting concept I have seen fail far too often when kids are overwhelmed by bullies and parents underplay the harm being done. Just a line of "if you can't handle this, I am there for you" (only better written, of course!) would have ...more
Mallori
Mar 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Summary: This book is about two little girls who have moms who are best friends. When Bootsie comes over to play, she completely scares her so-called friend and always says she is going to eat her because she is a dinosaur. She rips up all of her friend's books and hates her friend's pet salamander. She drags her around and never lets her friend talk when the parents ask if everything is OK. Bootsie is just absolutely one hundred percent mean.

Reading Level: Ages 4-8

Genre: Picture Book

Uses: Guid
Klarissa
Dec 04, 2013 added it
Shelves: t-l-307
Bootsie Barker is a terrible and mean little girl. Her and her mother visit the main character’s house nearly everyday. The story is told from the point of view of a young girl that loves turtles and salamanders in which Bootsie hates both and decides to throw tantrums and pretend to eat her. The poor young girl can’t seem to escape Bootsie scaring and bullying her because their mothers are best friends. When Bootsie comes to stay the night the young girl is terrified and discovers a new game to ...more
Linda Lipko
Bootsie Barker is a bully that bites. Told from the voice of the child who is bullied, this is a wonderful tale of getting even and empowerment.

Because Bootise Barker's mother and the child Bootsie tortures with her nasty antics are best friends, each day Bootsie is dropped off at the house to play.

Each game results in Bootise turning herself into a monster with sharp, sharp teeth with which she bites.

I very much liked the illustrations. They made me laugh right out loud. The girl dreams each ni
Adam Bakken
Dec 02, 2013 rated it liked it
This tale about bullying, has the main character Bootsie Barker bullying her peers. She drags a girl around with an evil grin to play games Bootsie likes, throwing a fit and attacking the girl. When the little girl told her mother that she did not want to play with Bootsie, her mother told her that we all have to deal with people we do not like, leaving it up to the girl to deal with her tormentor.
This book is an inspirational tale of self-reliance and never giving up in the face of adversity.
Kristen
Oh, Peggy Rathmann, your art always gets me! From the first page, where we see the toothily sneering Bootsie, we know we are in for trouble! The narrator's mother and Bootsie's mother are best friends, which means the girls must play together often. Haven't we all had that awful situation of being stuck with someone secretly nasty like Bootsie? Barbara Bottner catches that anxious feeling so well, when the girl tries to tell her mother that playing with Bootsie is horrible and her mother says sh ...more
Shannon McCrea
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Bootsie Barker Bites by Barbara Bottner and Peggy Rathmann tells the story about a young girl named Bootsie Barker who enjoys bullying others. Bootsie never took no for an answer and would force her friends into doing things that they didn’t want to do. This is a reoccurring pattern throughout the book. I feel that this is a good book to read to young children because it teaches kid’s not to bully. It is fun to read, conveys a good message and teaches young children what they should be aware of, ...more
Kane Wilburn
It's about a girl name Bootsie Barker who likes to bully people. She does stuff that other people don't want to do. One day they had a tea party one girl didn't want to but Bootsie Barker made her. Another day Bootsie Barker was staying the night at a girls house because her parents went to Chicago. So that one girls scared her off so Bootsie barker went with her parents to Chicago.
It is a good book for little kids. I loved when I was a little kids. My brother liked it. So I think you should r
Christy Brown
Sep 26, 2010 rated it it was ok
I thought this was a cute book but not something that I could say that I would read by looking at the cover. The cover is very pain to me and so it really does not appeal to me by sight. Most books are picked by what the cover looks like in the beginning. This particular book has the subject matter of bullying and how one little boy fixes his problem with a girl that visits him in his own home. The boy has a very clever imagination using it to think of not only things that the visiting little gi ...more
Deborah Harris
Apr 13, 2012 added it
Shelves: a32
AR Quiz No. 7178 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 2.6 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, VP

Bootsie Barker's mother and the young girl in the books mother are best friends. Bootsie and the young girl have lots of time to play together, but Bootsie is a bully. She is always chasing the young girl, until one day the young girl fights back. This is a great story to teach about bullying. The text uses first person speech to convey the st
Jenna
Apr 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book was funny but surprisingly doesn’t teach the reading audience the best concept for getting along with people. It basically says that when someone is treating you poorly or doing something you don’t like you simply do it back to them and it will solve the problem. This isn’t the best thing to be teaching our students because then we don’t just have one problem child, instead we create two! I don’t think this is a good idea to read until you in an upper grade because books can impression ...more
Alicia
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! The book says for ages 4 and up, but my 2 1/2 year old loves it. She quotes from it and asks me to read it to her at least once per day. It's one of the few children's books that I don't mind reading again and again. There are so many fun lines. In fact, tonight as I put my daughter to bed, she was shouting, "I'm Bootsie Barker and I hate turtles!"

Honestly, what's not to love?
Ashley Correll
Mar 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I absolutly love this book! I remember reading this book as a child myself! Its aobut a mean girl named Bootsie Barker whoose parents are best frinends with a classmates of hers. The problem is the two girls don't get along at all becasue Boosie is a big bully and scares the other little girl. In the end, the other little girl does get her final revenge on Bootsie, you'll have to read it to find out! Also, it even talks a little about dinosoars and what a palentologist is!
Sandee
Nov 25, 2014 rated it liked it
The bully child is a real pain and I found it difficult reading the story to my 3-year old and 5-year old. The pictures certainly portray a devil child and you just want to punch her in the face. The parents are also clueless...The emphasis was on the bullying and the shy, well-mannered girl wins in the end but still it was a hard read for me. The kids, however, want to read it.
Alyce Dougan
Apr 28, 2011 rated it liked it
This is about two mothers who are best friends and their daughters play together. There is only one problem Bootsie Barker is a bully. She is always being mean and hateful. At the end of the story the little girl gets her back. This book could be something a parent or teacher could use an example of bullying. I myself thought it was humorous!
Melanie
Whenever Bootsie Barker comes over with her mother all she wants to do is play mean games where she is a carnivorous dinosaur. This causes the other young girl a lot of stress until she figures out how to play Bootsie's game: she will become a Paleontologist that hunts for dinosaur bones! Suddenly Bootsie doesn't feel like visiting anymore.
Angie
Oct 31, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-kids
Great story with great illustrations by Peggy Rathmann,who did Goodnight Gorilla and 10 minutes to Bedtime. A little girl finds a way to get her own back from a bully. That's a great story no matter who tells it!
Jerry Michel
Jan 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A fun irreverent romp through a situation that will resonate with many young readers and listeners...the family friend that really isn't fun at all. The winsome narrator finds a way to outsmart and stand up to her tormentor...
Scottsdale Public Library
Bootsie is the ultimate bully who terrorizes our little heroine until she finally learns to stick up for herself. This is a cute story that teaches about bullying in a fun, non-threatening way.

-Jen K.-
  • The Little Red Pen
  • Daisy Comes Home
  • Finn Throws a Fit!
  • Deep in the Swamp
  • A Museum Adventure (Library Mouse #4)
  • Do Unto Otters: A Book about Manners
  • Thunder Rose
  • Tough Boris
  • The Recess Queen
  • Pigs Aplenty, Pigs Galore!
  • One Is a Feast for Mouse: A Thanksgiving Tale
  • Laura Numeroff's 10-Step Guide to Living with Your Monster
  • What Floats in a Moat?
  • Zelda And Ivy
  • With Love, Little Red Hen
  • Nightsong
Barbara Bottner, New York Times best-selling author, is a screenwriter, TV writer, and writing coach, who began her multi-hyphenate career as an artist and actor. Designing off-Broadway sets in the ’60s led her to performance and following her career in theatre, she began writing and illustrating books for children. In total, she has written over 40 books in all areas of children’s literature incl ...more