Start by marking “Stand-In Groom (Brides of Bonneterre, #1)” as Want to Read:
Stand-In Groom (Brides of Bonneterre, #1)

Stand-In Groom

(Brides of Bonneterre #1)

Get ready to attend the quirkiest wedding ever in this delightful romance by Kaye Dacus, a new voice in women's contemporary fiction. When wedding planner Anne Hawthorne first meets George Laurence, she thinks she's found the man of her dreams. But when she discovers he's a client, she knows planning his wedding will be no honeymoon. Can Anne remain professional while fall ...more
Published January 1st 2009 by Barbour Books

To ask other readers questions about Stand-In Groom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stand-In Groom

Michelle
Jan 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great debut! I really enjoyed this story once I got into it. It had unique characters and plot twists. If not for the slow start I would've given it five stars, but it was incredibly romantic and for that I applaud Kaye. The romantic elements and the push-pull that is such and important part of romance novels was very well done. The author had me turning the pages once I got sucked into the story.

I didn't feel manipulated and the conflict didn't seem contrived, which was refreshing. Yeah, it wa
Stormi (BMReviewsohmy)
Jan 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
George Laurance is a English Personal Assistant to a wealthy man who wants to remain a secret when it comes to putting together his wedding. So he has George go with his fiance to make the wedding plans.

The first time Anne laid eyes on George she just new he was the one, then she finds out he is a client. Anne wonders why she has all the bad luck and with her growing attractiong to George she is not sure if she can go through with planning his wedding.

George hates lying to Anne about who he rea
✨ Gramy ✨
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book was a delightful romance that develops gradually with unexpected twists and turns. It provides intricate details: descriptive sights, tastes, ethnicity, and more…giving the reader an authentic feel for the situations.

However, the million dollar question is: how could the heroine resist her overwhelming feelings for the perfect man, even if he is the groom to be? The characters were entirely believable. However, it lacks any depth in regard to the relationship between the H/H.

This boo
Teresa Snyder
Jan 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Although predictable from beginning to end, the book was really good. The characters were real. Believable. George was adorable; Anne was equally adorable. The ending was chick flick movie worthy! Looking forward to starting book 2 --- hopeful that we'll see a lot more of George and Annie.
Dawn
Oct 27, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance, 2013-books
Juvenile and boring. "Lord, why did you put this man in my path if he's already taken?" Bleh.
Marleah
Aug 29, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: adult-fiction
An extremely, over the top cheesy Christian Fiction story. A big disappointment! The only good thing I have to say is it was clean.
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
A bit slow moving. Did some skimming. Also a bit heavier on the Christian elements. Picked this one up free on Amazon.
Erin
Feb 08, 2012 rated it liked it
I have been wanting to read a Kaye Dacus novel ever since I read an interview she did in which she was discussing Andrew Davies and Sandy Welch. As a huge fan of British dramas, I know these two screenwriters and can debate their merits, but rarely do I find another person who shares this interest. Kaye caught my attention and has been on my watch list ever since.

Another reason I was interested in "Stand-In Groom" is because, like the heroine, I am a member of the wedding industry. I love weddin
Vicki
May 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I've read by Kaye Dacus, and I'm very glad that I did! I thoroughly enjoyed the faith based story line. The two main characters, Anne Hawthorne and George Laurence, equally grabbed and held my attention. (George, being good-looking, British, and Christian, might have had a slight edge over Anne.) Anne is a wedding planner and George is who-knows-what for awhile, because he portrays himself to be someone that he's not, sort of. It's not that he wanted to be less than candid ...more
Kelly
Oct 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the book Stand-In Groom by Kaye Dacus, Anne Hawthorn is the best wedding planner in town. When we first meet her she seemed like a workaholic and that something in her past must have happened to make her drown herself into her work. We quickly find out though, that she isn't all work and no play, when she falls for a man named George. However, when she goes to work the next day, she find out George happens to be her client. What will she do? Will she risk her heart and her career by making he ...more
Jennifer Marie
Jul 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Kaye’s Christian Romance novel, Stand-in Groom was a fun and thoroughly enjoyable story from start to finish. The writing is smooth and tight and moves you from scene to scene effortlessly. No part of the novels feels too slow or too quick. I have to say it’s one of the best paced romance books I’ve read in a while. You get just enough to enjoy that moment and look forward to the next.

Her two main characters, Anne and George, have wonderful personality, with strengths and insecurities that every
Jan 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The first in a 3 book series of Christian Romance Fiction...I LOVED this book and had a hard time putting it down. This was my first exposure to author Kaye Dacus and I cannot wait to read more of her work. The characters were so well written and the plot was truly captivating. The setting for this story is in the heart of the south (I am also a big sucker for books set in the south), a small town in Louisiana. You get a real taste of southern flair with this title.

The story revolves around wed
Margaret Chind
Nov 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: contemporary romantics
Recommended to Margaret by: Angie Brillhart
This is quite the romance. Some could call it predictable, but I would not necessarily say that because one could not foresee all the twists and turns that are to occur before the outcome. I only think people will predict how they want it to end and just assume they will get it right. As I have said dozens of times before, I am not much a fan of contemporary romances, but I liked this one. That said, I did not necessarily love it. But I think that is because my heart is just stronger in the real ...more
Debbie
Dec 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, christian
This Christian romance is a well-written, thoroughly enjoyable read. The pacing was excellent and kept me wanting to know what came next. I liked how the two main characters truly strove to live out their high ideals in less than ideal circumstances. While neither main character was perfect, they were very clearly perfect for each other.

Both main characters are Christians and their faith plays a lot more vital role in their lives than is typical in many Christian romance books. Overall, the stor
Sami
My first foray into Christian fiction; I thought I'd enjoy it as I consider myself a religious person, but this one just wasn't up to my expectations.

It was badly written and around the time when I read 'hazelnut mocha coffee coloured eyes'* I realised I'd read fanfiction better than this.

I did enjoy all the 'God has a plan for me' sidelines though, and the general moral decency of (most of) the characters, and I think I will read more of this genre in the future.

*to be edited when I get the pr
Stephany
Sep 05, 2010 rated it it was ok
I made it through a little over 100 pages of this book before I had to stop reading. It was completely cheesy and I couldn't get into the main character. I just really didn't like her at all. While the other characters seemed to be more well-developed and likeable, I don't know if I would pick up another book of Kaye Dacus again.
Cheri
Jul 31, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
If I could give this book three and a half stars I would, it was a fast paced read and enjoyable.
Anne Hathaway is a wedding planner,but because of a broken heart has yet to get married herself. When she meets the man who makes her heart beat faster she is disappointed to find out he is engaged and she is to plan the wedding.What a cute story.
Leah
Jul 15, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 2012
Way too cheesy and unrealistic for my taste.
Donna
Jun 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
Slow and overly religious
Heidi Pack
Nov 06, 2015 rated it liked it
great plot but I couldn't get into the writing, it wasn't a can't-put-down style.
Lisa
May 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
Really, really insipid. I want to like Christian fiction because it's clean, but could somebody please, please find a PLOT LINE???
Krista Phillips
Oct 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Loved Stand-in Groom! Just the right amount of romance and twists to keep me reading and lovin' it!
Pam
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a fun romance about a wedding planner who falls for a man who is a personal assistant to a famous actor and is pretending to be the groom during the planning to avoid a publicity frenzy for his boss. George is very attracted to Anne as well but cannot tell her of the ruse because of a clause in his contract, which makes him uncomfortable to be lying to her. There are many misunderstandings and miscommunications. Anne has a very large, close extended family that also like to be in her bus ...more
Karen
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a delightful, absorbing read. I may or may not be dealing with a slight book hangover this morning...
George is a classy individual and Anne has great depth. While it's not particularly suspenseful or overly dramatic, I found myself completely immersed. I really wanted to see how it all played out and I'll be looking into the next books because I need to know what happens with the rest of the family.
Meagan
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an entertaining book! I really enjoyed it (even though I figured out plot components in advance of them happening :D). I'd happily pick up more books in the series. A clean read, with plenty of theological gems.

I really liked the Louisiana setting; having been to New Orleans, I was easily able to imagine the Bonneterre setting.
Charline Bonham
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wedding planner

The emotions between George and Anne are well written. George and Anne are both attracted but George is engaged to one of her brides. Anne is professional enough to continue but her heart is breaking. What is the secret he and her cousin are keeping?
Stacy M. Patton
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sweet story. Predictable but still fun to read. I liked how the main characters had "flaws" and were not perfect. As a result of this I was able to emotionally connect with them and relate to them better.
Kayltee
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely read

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and its characters. The family setting and closeness made it a joy to read and I love it when people overcome hardships to have happy endings.
Amy
Nov 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Took a while to get into this. Decent story, but a little too much telling/not enough showing. The love-at-first-sight trope is wearing a bit thin, as are the huge emotional entanglements that end up being nothing more than a simple misunderstanding, easily resolved by a single conversation.
Lydia
Oct 09, 2018 rated it liked it
I loved the storyline and absolutely feel in love with George, however Anne was a bit whiny and the presentation a bit loud in e-book form. Still props for creativity
« previous 1 3 4 next »
A challenge 1 7 May 11, 2013 06:02PM

• Only Uni (Sushi, #2)
  • Reclaiming Nick (Noble Legacy, #1)
  • The Reluctant Cowgirl (The McCord Sisters #1)
  • The Guy I'm Not Dating
  • Wish You Were Here (Wish You Were Here, #1)
  • Highland Legacy: Four Generations of Love Are Rooted in Scotland
  • Montana Rose (Montana Marriages, #1)
  • Controlling Interest
  • Love Finds You in Snowball, Arkansas
  • Yesterday's Promise (East of the Sun, #2)
  • Possibilities (Austen Series, #6)
  • It Had to Be You
  • A Path Toward Love
  • Megan's Hero (The Callahans of Texas, #3)
  • Second Chance Brides (Texas Boardinghouse Brides, #2)
  • Love Starts with Elle
  • The Convenient Groom (Nantucket, #2)
  • Fairer Than Morning (Saddler's Legacy, #1)
Kaye Dacus is a professional editor, author, and educator who has been writing fiction for more than thirty years. Pursuing her passion for writing, she earned a Master of Arts in Writing Popular Fiction from Seton Hill University. Kaye lives in Nashville, Tennessee, where she works in higher education as an academic editor and writing/literature instructor. In her "other" life, she writes contemp ...more

Brides of Bonneterre (3 books)
  • Menu for Romance (Brides of Bonneterre, #2)
  • A Case for Love (Brides of Bonneterre, #3)