Start by marking “Pompidou Posse” as Want to Read:
Pompidou Posse

Pompidou Posse

It's the late eighties and British teenagers Vicki and Sage go on the run in Paris after burning down their art school pottery shed. Penniless, homeless, and worst of all, out of cigarettes, it isn't long before they find themselves living on the streets. Survival means not only learning to navigate the perils of soup-kitchens, begging, hallucinogens and sleeping rough, ...more
Published December 1st 2008 by Penguin Books (first published June 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Pompidou Posse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pompidou Posse

Start your review of Pompidou Posse
Heather Duff
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pompidou Posse or as I like to call it "Oh my god I am never letting my daughters out of the house ever" is a riot, like a total crazy riot.

I love it, well as long as I don't think about my kids leaving the house and going to Paris, ever!

This book is written by Sarah Lotz whose previous work, The Three and Day Four blew my mind, this book is nothing like those books, originally published in South Africa, Hodder and Stoughton have resurrected it and brought it to a new audience.

Sage and Vicki
Cora Tea Party Princess
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Junk by Melvin Burgess
5 Words: Friendship, runaway, poverty, Paris, freedom.

UK GIVEAWAY - PAPERBACK

This book is one heck of a ride, right from the very start. It's boisterous and loud and scared and unsure all at once.

This is a book about teens, but it is definitely for an older audience. Aside from the language, there is drink and drugs aplenty.

The two protagonists are best friends, and they are very different from each other, so the way they bounce off of one another makes them really come to life. They each tell
Suze Lavender
Dec 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vicki and Sage have set a garden shed on fire and to avoid the consequences they flee the country and go to Paris. There's only one problem, they don't have any money. They're both seventeen years old and are art school dropouts. Vicki and Sage are optimistic, they're in Paris, they're having a good time and everything will be all right. The longer they stay the harder it will become to make enough money to survive. Going home isn't an option and they're in the city of endless possibilities ...more
Hannah
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book annoyed me mostly because I was lulled into false expectations by the cover. Bright pink with the tagline "Uproariously funny..." I wasn't expecting a story of multiple sexual assults.
Maybe publishers think every book with a theme of female friendship has to be pink.
It's set in the 1980's and contains copious drug use. So a better tagline would be "Like Junk but in Paris instead of Bristol." I prefer Junk's unsubtle approach; the title is Junk and it has a needle pictured on the cover.
Richard
Oct 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
BookWalk #3 | Pompidou Posse | Sarah Lotz

“For fuck’s sake, Sage. He’s trying to help us out! Can you at least try for five minutes not to be such a bitch?” (p.20) | British friends Vicki and Sage have yet to agree on a strategy for survival on the streets of Paris.

He was EXCELLENT!! He was wearing dark glasses and was really pretending to be this dead mysterious guy. (p. 58) | Vicki and Sage take turns telling the story. Lovely use of the vernacular “dead”, meaning “very”, rather than “dead”.

S.A. Partridge
Sep 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Pompidou Posse could easily pass as YA.

After runaways Sage and Vicky, aged 17 and 18 respectively, fail to make it as artists in Paris, they find themselves on the streets. A series of disastrous jobs later, the girls find themselves among the Pompidou Posse, a group of vagabonds and tramps, and experience all the hardships that comes with being homeless, such as running from police, drug abuse, and escaping from an axe-wielding maniac.

The book is set in the 1980's, but it could take place
Emanuela Agalliu
I am not sure if I liked it or not. I thought the whole history would be different since I read the plot at the back of the bool. When I started reading it I didn't like it at all and I was getting really angry with everything that was happening in there and how stupid those girls were. I started liking it after the half of the book probably and wanted to finish it to see what will happen, but again the end came so quick while everything else was running slow and was explained. Mixed feelings I ...more
Vanessa Clark
Elly
Aug 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Liked it, didn't love it. It reminded me of the great American self discovery novels a la On the Road although of a different content. The idea of homelessness in Paris was fascinating but I think ultimately I was expecting something a bit fluffier and this was definitely not that.
Tiah
Oct 15, 2013 added it
Bloody hell, I should have read sooner. Track down a copy if you can.
Blue
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fuck, How do I describe this book.

For a start
CW: this book contains sexual assault, drug use, death and there's a dog that dies (which I know is a big deal for some people)
Honestly this book is for me personally the best book I’ve ever read.
I like the dual narrative, I love the characters, and I enjoy the scumminess, the rawness. Probably helps that in almost every way I relate to Sage, from her “shutters down fuck off vibes” to her blatant aggy behaviour and mysandry.

The book follows two
Hazel
Aug 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, reviewed
3.5 Stars

I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

“Paris is eternal. Art is love. Friendship is forever. Except when it isn’t.” Pompidou Posse is a highly fictionalized account of the author, Sarah Lotz’s, own experience living rough in France. It is the late 1980s and teenaged best friends Vicki and Sage find themselves stranded in Paris after a hasty getaway from their troubles back home in England. After falling in with dubious characters they eventually team up with a
Rachel Gilbey
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pompidou Posse is a gritty, hard hitting drama, and offers you a completely different view of Paris to one that you would expect. It is set in the late 1980s, and features two runaways Vicki and Sage, who having burnt down the shed at art college, are now scared and on the run.

This features their time in Paris, and various people they meet, and it is not a feel good book. It feels incredibly realistic, and the experiences they girls have, are not ones I would wish on anyone. On the other hand
Imogen
Oct 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-review, 21
I'm a big Sarah Lotz fan. The Three was an amazing book and remains to this day, one of my favourites. And Day Four wasn't half bad. So when I was asked if I wanted to read her semi-autobiographical first novel that had never been published in the UK before? You bet I jumped at the chance.
Pompidou Posse was different from books I normally read, the story of two young teenagers, Sage and Vicki, homeless in Paris in the 80's. It was an interesting read for me. Since it's semi-autobiographical, it
Lia
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways, fiction
DISCLAIMER: I received this book for free through a Goodreads Giveaway.

I can't begin to explain what an amazing book this is.

Some reviews say this could be classed as YA. I really hope no YA reads this because: 1. not sure how much they would get out of it and 2. some of the actions & decisions illustrated are not to be lightly thought of as normal or "fun". But on the other hand, maybe it would teach YAs a few things about life.

I couldn't stop grinning throughout 90% of the book (and yes,
Nicki
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my god, that ending!!!
I kind of didn't like the two girls as I couldn't relate to them at all - lets just say this story wasn't what I expected from this pink, pretty book with two punks looking 80's teens on the cover.
However, the style of writing sucked me in and I really quite enjoyed the diary entries to Gladys. It definitely wasn't dull reading no matter how off putting some of the behaviour was.
Hecate
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five stars because there's nothing else quite like this memoir in a novel's dress. One of the few books I've read three times (the last time I was proofreading the UK edition, an even tighter version of the South African original). Authentic, unglamorous account of two runaway teenagers on the streets of Paris. The voices are so real, you hear them in your head. Sometimes funny, often frightening and sad, and with a high quotient of four-letter words per page.
Chloe Macphail
this was so different from the usual books i read. sage definitely was the star of the story. its the only thing that kept me reading. i wish the ending had more answers like a secret chapter from sage at the end about where she is.
Vanessa
Aug 02, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-i-own, give-up
I have tried and tried and tried to get into the book. Not necessarily badly written but I simply could not connect to the story or the characters.
I will try it again the future, but, for now, I admit defeat.
Sophie
Review to come.
Hayley
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Really wasn't a fan of this but quite liked the ending although it was very abrupt.
Claire
rated it it was ok
Jan 17, 2014
Rozanne De Jager
rated it did not like it
Feb 27, 2018
Dec 18, 2016
Jacqueline
Oct 15, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »

• Welcome to Night Vale (Welcome to Night Vale, #1)
  • Thirteen (Adam Grant, #1)
Sarah Lotz is a screenwriter and novelist with a fondness for the macabre and fake names. Among other things, she writes urban horror novels under the name S.L. Grey with author Louis Greenberg; a YA pulp-fiction zombie series, Deadlands, with her daughter, Savannah, under the pseudonym Lily Herne; and quirky erotica novels with authors Helen Moffett and Paige Nick under the name Helena S. Paige. ...more