Start by marking “Four Three Two One” as Want to Read:
Four Three Two One

Four Three Two One

In this contemporary YA novel, a girl reunites with the three other survivors of a bus bombing that killed nineteen people, and together they face the secrets, struggles, and emotional warfare that each has been enduring.

Golden “Go” Jennings wasn’t supposed to be on Bus 21 the day it blew up in New York City. Neither was her boyfriend, Chandler. But they were. And so was R
Published November 13th 2018 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Four Three Two One, please sign up.
Madison
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Four Three Two One
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. This one was really, really heavy but wow. Courtney Stevens might be a new favorite author for me because I loved this SO MUCH. I need a little more time to sit with this before I review it but seriously, this was SO good.
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018

I haven't been so enamored with a book in quite some time. This was such a freaking amazing book, and one I hadn't expected to hit me as hard as it did. And truth be told, I don't think that anything I can say will fully do it justice. Have you ever read a book and it just exuded a certain feeling? Drew you in, made you fall in love with the whole damn thing? Well, that's where we are he
Madison
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Take an author who is excellent at writing powerful stories about heartbreaking situations. Add a plot line about a bombing, abusive relationships, recovery journeys and the power of human togetherness. Drop in five character: four survivors and one along for the ride. Stir together and shake a little. With that recipe it’s no wonder that Four Three Two One is an incredibly powerful and emotive story of surviving, overcoming insurmountable odds, and forgiving yourself.

Golden Jennings is one of
Jane (It'sJaneLindsey)
3.5 stars. This was very emotional and will definitely impact readers, but I also had some issues (pacing, plotting, trying to fit too much into one story) that lessened my overall rating. However, I’d still recommend it, especially if you enjoyed Dress Codes for Small Towns.
Samantha (WLABB)
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs, ya, contemporary, 2018
Go, Chan, Caroline, and Rudy all lost something that day on the bus. While some scars were more obvious than others, each one was harboring some pain and guilt, which was holding them back. Go was hoping that facing her fears at the exhibit would help propel her forward, but maybe she, and all the other survivors, would find the strength they needed before they arrived in New York.

• Pro: This story was emotional and painful and wonderful. Stevens did such an incredible job helping me navigate t
Kirstysbookishworld
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star-rating
You know those books that have a special something that you know will stick with you, even if you can’t quite place what that something is? That’s what this book was for me.

The emotions, the bombing, the 4 people who survived and the guilt they felt for such survival is the epicentre of this story. But it’s so much more than that. It’s about making friends who really know you, faults, Walt’s and all. It’s about growing up and how that means something different to every single person. It’s about
Lindsay Nixon
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing

I'm so glad I stumbled on this book. It has a few scenes that are a little too "High School Musical"/Hollywood--where it's sweet but you also know actual teenagers would not sit in a circle holding hands saying "I forgive you." That aside, GREAT book with fantastic exploration and commentary on what it is like to be a surviving teen and just how far the waves reach when one person does something terrible. We are all connected.

I loved these two quotes:

"I have to live in the future the p
Becca Akins
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book ripped my heart out and then slowly mended it. This book follows the four survivors of a bus bombing. Each of these for characters is dealing with their own form of PTSD and survivors guilt. These four characters along with a close friend of one of the survivors take a road trip to the Gand opening of a memorial built for the victims of the bombing. At its core, this book is about healing and forgiveness. The character relationships and individual character development led to a beautif ...more
Forever Young Adult
Graded By: Brian
Cover Story: Survivors
Drinking Buddy: Yes
Testosterone Estrogen Level: Elevated
Talky Talk: Authentic
Bonus Factors: Photography, Relationship Violence, Commune
Bromance Status: Solid

Read the full book report here.
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
Kristie
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Life After Tragedy
"Chandler and Golden versus the world" has been the motto of Chan and Go since they were 11. As seventeen-year-olds, they're a couple, and although they're still facing life's challenges together, there's been a distance between them ever since they became two of four survivors of a horrific bus bombing in New York City. It's been a year since that bomb killed nineteen teens, and Chan and Go are back home in the Hive, the Kentucky commune where they've grown up. Chan and Go are
Randi
Dec 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Enjoyable and meaningful, but it didn't quite pack the punch I thought it would.
T. Rosado
4.5 Stars!

Four Three Two One is a coming of age tale about 4 survivors of a bus explosion and each of their struggles in dealing with the aftermath and their recoveries.

I almost didn't read this book based on the mixed reviews, but I'm so happy I followed my instincts. I enjoyed everything about this book. Well, I can't say I enjoyed the tragedy and some of the horrible acts leading up to it, but I was impressed with the care in which the author handled those elements. I was even more impressed
Tonyalee
I received this book for free from The Publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

There is much to like about this book honestly, but here is what I liked most:

The relationships of the characters as the story progresses, and how interconnecting their stories were. There's a couple, a stranger, and new friendship that I just adored. You FEEL for all the characters in different ways.

This wasn't just about a tragedy, but also
Taylor (TaysInfiniteThougts)
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dnf
This was such a great book. All the characters were wonderful. I loved how close the relationships were and all the family love. You can see how much the characters grow and develop throughout the story. The writing was done very well, simple and easy to depict. I feel like all the stuff that happened in the book helped the characters mature and appreciate their relationships more. I enjoyed reading this book very much and would love to read more from this author.
Vicki
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
An interesting look at teenage decision-making in the aftermath of trauma.
Abi, the one who reads when uncomfortable
Maureen
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, zz2019
Golden, Chan, Rudy, and Caroline. The four survivors of the New York City Bus 21 Bombing that happened back in June; now almost a year later, there will be an art installation memorializing the eighteen victims who were not so lucky.

But the bombing has left each one of them scarred in different ways: Golden can't bring herself to get on a bus; Chan, who avoids talking about New York City altogether; Rudy bears the physical scars; and Caroline, whose former boyfriend was the bomber. Each of them
Mortisha Cassavetes
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
OMG what an amazing story! I just loved it. The story follows a girl named Golden, who survives a bus bombing. She wasn't even supposed to be on that bus but because of fate and chance her and her boyfriend, Chandler, end up on the bus and in the middle of this horrible event. The book brings her and the other survivors together to deal with the emotional and physical trauma they all suffered. I do not want to go into the book more as to not spoil it but I highly recommend it to everyone. This b ...more
Ashley Lynne
Aug 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: i-own-it

I thought this book did a great job of showing what PTSD can look like and how people might deal with it, and I also thought the writing was great and there were many awesome quotable moments. But I just couldn’t stay sucked into the story. The audiobook didn’t really do much to add to the experience either, which is a shame, because I love a good audiobook.
I do plan on reading more from this author, if for no other reason, than to get some incredible quotes.
Nikki Imber
Jul 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book really lost out on a golden opportunity for me. It was so bad I almost DNFd TWICE. I somehow kept reading just to think of how to review it in the end. I found the character Golden Jennings boy crazy and unrelatable as a main character. The only emotion I got from this book was frustration that it was so long and pointless.
Katie
More like a 4.5, I loved this one! Full review to come closer to release date.
Lana
Nov 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
"I have to live with the future the past gave me."
Francesca
Jun 25, 2019 rated it liked it
This had really good parts, but too many meh parts for any higher than a 3.
Lauren
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: readers of one of us is lying by karen m. mcmanus
"see," chan said. "cities break people."
i said, "i'm not sure if you can blame the city this time."

four three two one maps out the lives of four survivors of a bus bombing: golden jennings, chandler clayton, rudy guthrie, and caroline ascott. the book is mainly told in golden's first-person point of view, giving readers emotion-shattering insight into the lives, hardships, and emotions of the four survivors.

the basic premise surrounding the book is this: twenty-three people got on bus 21 on
Caeley
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Four Three Two One is a YA, contemporary and fictional 'memoir' of the survivors of the bombing of Bus #21. It is mainly told in Golden Jenning's perspective as she embarks on her journey towards recovery, overcoming her fear of buses, and finding out what really caused the bombing on board the bus that fateful day. A prominent event that brings the remaining 4 survivors together throughout the book is the Accelerant Orange. This is a art exhibit held/made by Carter Stockton in order to honor th ...more
Alicia
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I should start this review by saying that after much deliberation, before I read this book I had decided that Courtney C. Stevens was my favourite author. This book made me love her that much more. I love her writing for how raw and real it is and how unafraid she is to tackle subjects that are hard to talk about and often mishandled by others with the most elegance. Issues she talks about are very much all or nothing writing wise or they can come off as disrespectful and she is never hesitant t ...more
Jordan Davidson
Dec 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
This could've been so much more than it was. The first pages, which detail the bombing that serves as the uniting event for the main characters, was chilling and gruesome and perfectly described. It was based off the strength of that beginning alone that I decided to read the rest of this.

Unfortunately, the rest of the story devolves into a disorganized mess of instalove, unrealistic behavior, characters being just plain annoying (I really really came to loathe the perspective we were stuck in
Ainslee || Jest and Hearts
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it

Right, well this is going to be a hard review to write and its not because I disliked it or really enjoy it, its because I can't say anything about it without completely ruining the story for you.

Four Three Two One is an emotional roller coast following four teens dealing with the aftermath of trauma, a bus bombing. The story is is full of trauma, guilt, grief, friendships, family, trust, adventure and taking those giant leaps to overcome your fears.

The s
Ruthsic
Warnings: depiction of bomb blast, abusive relationship (including domestic violence), suicidal ideation, self-harm

A story of letting go of guilt, moving on, and finding something to live for, Four Three Two One takes place a year after a fatal bombing attack and the effect it had on its four survivors. Told mostly through the point of view of Go Jennings, one of the teens, and partly through Caroline, another survivor and the ex of the suicide bomber, the story is heartfelt, and heart-breaking
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Girls on the Verge
  • Birthday
  • Four Days of You and Me
  • A Heart in a Body in the World
  • One Giant Leap (Dare Mighty Things, #2)
  • Light It Up