Start by marking “User Stories Applied: For Agile Software Development” as Want to Read:
User Stories Applied: For Agile Software Development

User Stories Applied: For Agile Software Development

(A Kent Beck Signature Book)

Thoroughly reviewed and eagerly anticipated by the agile community, User Stories Applied offers a requirements process that saves time, eliminates rework, and leads directly to better software.

The best way to build software that meets users' needs is to begin with "user stories": simple, clear, brief descriptions of functionality that will be valuable to real users. In Use
Published March 11th 2004 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published March 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about User Stories Applied, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about User Stories Applied

Aleksander
User Stories Applied: For Agile Software Development is a decent introduction to user stories. The book could have benefitted from more depth on user stories and a little less breadth on adjoining topics. It is from 2004 and is starting to show its age.

The user story is a frequently used tool in agile software development methods such as eXtreme Programming (XP) and Scrum. It is used both for documenting the existence of a requirement and as a worm package for use in scope planning and schedulin
Mike Staten
Feb 20, 2009 rated it did not like it
Written from an engineer's perspective, it provides a good overview of the Agile Methodology but an uninformed approach to requirements gathering / needs assessment.
Nahuel Franchi
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Works well both as an introduction to agile practices with a focus on user stories and I can strongly recommend it if you are new to Agile as a whole.
Works very well also in case you have experience with agile practices, but less theoretical background on why certain practices work the way they do, I also recommend if you have previous experience in Agile, software development or project management.

Very well written and easy to follow.
M_moatassem
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I have read about Agile approach. Focusing on the User Stories as the center of the Agile methodology, it provides very useful and practical information; regarding how to write good stories, and how to use them as a reliable tool for estimation and planning.
Gavin
Jul 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: cs
I recently learned a fundamental dichotomy in expressing oneself: you use either the 'esoteric' or the 'exoteric' mode. (The exoteric writer says exactly what she means, minimises ambiguity and tries to do everything with explicit reasoning, for the largest audience they can, with imagery and irony only as decoration. The esoteric writer – distinct from, but often coextensive with the woo-woo mystical metaphysics fans also called esoteric – does the converse.

Most ancient writers wrote esoterica
John Tangney
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic! I was very impressed with how this subject was treated. Very clear, plenty of background explication, just the kind of clear approach that I wish I was better at. I generally point ppl to Bill Wake’s INVEST acronym and leave it at that :-( He even goes into roles, which is something that I started doing back in the 80’s as I learned about what we used to call “user-centered design”.

Mr. Cohn did a good job. However, some subjects are no longer relevant in modern agile dev, such as esti
Emre Sevinç
Jan 23, 2019 rated it liked it
This short book promises to explain what User Stories are, what they aren't, how to create and utilize them within an Agile/XP approach, and finally how to bring everything together in a short, yet relatively realistic case study. It delivers exactly what it promises and the exercises at the end of the chapters, although not always very well crafted, help the reader to capture the essence of each chapter, as well as focus on the pitfalls. It is not repetitive and does not try to be everything fo ...more
Ben Clohesy
Jun 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Overall, it's not too bad - I'm on the 3.5 rating really (4 stars for me is "yes I'll read again). I'll probably refer back to it every now and then, but am more likely to go to Mike's website if I want more specific information.

I came at this as a BA with a fair bit of experience and was looking a quick light and easily digestible overview of stories - which this is. However, as another reviewer has noted, this book is definitely coming at the topic from the perspective of a software engineer,
Sicofonia
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book is from 2004 and I found it has aged a lot. Reading for the first time in 2019, I find it barely scratches the surface of User Stories.
Don't get me wrong, it is a good introduction to the topic. But I would combine it with User Story Mapping, as mapping the stories provides an excellent way of having that first story workshop that will generate stories.
Another aspect I didn't like was the fact the book is full of typos!!

All in all, a good introductory book to one requirements gathering
Bart Decaigny
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned-to-read
Two stars might not seem much... but I honnestly don't think it should be much more. It's worth reading for having a baseline of the concept of user stories, but a whole book about a (simple) concept is quite a lot, especially as the example used throughout the book is pretty shallow. In practice, half of what is gone over quickly (e.g. non-functional requirements, refactoring): that simply doesn't work out with user stories. Good for somebody just starting with some agile concepts, but too simp ...more
Aditya Kulkarni
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I believe as I am reading this in 2018, there are some inherent biases I have about how to write a user story.
While it made me revisit the basics of a user story, it is worthwhile to mention that readers WILL need a grasp of their own organization/team members in order to implement these practices.

All in all, a good read indeed, for those who are just starting with user stories, this book will definitely help. I liked the part where Mike has explained the core of story-pointing. When estimating
Daniel Irvine
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you’re on a team that follows scrum, you really need a clear understanding of user stories. Without that, tracking velocity and finding a sustainable pace becomes so much harder. Thankfully this book covers not just how to write great user stories but also how to estimate stories and track your team’s velocity. Interestingly, it also includes a section on XP rather than scrum, which is a real bonus.
Dalan Mendonca
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lucidly written. Great way to wrap your head around the topic. Has a good amount of examples to help one understand the concepts and process well.

Book feels a bit dated with (now laughable) lines like "Most software projects will do best with a new release every two to six months. Certain website projects may release even more frequently" but nonetheless most of the content felt useful even in 2018.
Shobhit
May 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Good summary of agile and especially scrum and extreme engineering. I would have loved to see agile philosophy also covered into the book. How product managers do prior research before having a user story is also missing.

The book is easy to read and comprehend.
Iryna Lomachynska
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book for those who are new for User Stories. It explains clearly and with many examples the User Stories lifecycle: from the user roles identification, creating personas, brainstorming the stories, making decomposition to esrtimation and progress tracking.
TruongSinh Tran-Nguyen
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to TruongSinh by: Scrum.org
Most parts are good, coming from the author's own experience and opinion. However, this book refers to oudated, sometimes contradicted concept of the latest 2017 ScrumGuide.

I expected some budgeting and financial planing for projects and releases but didn't see them in this book.
Steven Ricks
Aug 01, 2018 rated it liked it
This book has largely become unnecessary since it's initial publication. The contents are still accurate and relevant, but an hour or two on Google and Wikipedia (or a couple of days attending agile ceremonies) will entirely preclude the need to read this book.
Marianna
Apr 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: work
This book gives some practical info about user stories and the examples included can help you understand how to write good user stories. Despite my concern that it might be a bit outdated, I feel like I will refer back to the book from time to time.
Ana Schiopu
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I’m not a big fan of self teaching books, but this one is an interesting read to anyone learning/using agile developement in their current job. Quite well defined terms, rules, roles, workflows etc.
Wanda
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
Torn between a 3 or a 4. This is a good book for the beginner. I feel the book may be a little outdated. I expected a little more in-depth detail from an entire book about user stories.
Oleg Prozorov
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: process
great book
Tiago Palhoto
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
GReat book from the master of the user stories.
Ankit Agrawal
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great read, a complete insight into user stories with questions and an example project !! What else could you ask for ....
Chandan Khatwani
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great book by Mike. Get your client on board with user stories.
Marco Bizzarri
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nice book about user stories from XP; it includes a chapter on how to adapt the User Stories to Scrum.

Hung Cao
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Must read for BA doing agile
Amr
Dec 04, 2016 added it
Shelves: tech
Skimmed it quickly to refresh my mind. Here are some quotes:

I remember many years ago being told a story about a child at bath time. The child's father has filled the bath tub and is helping his child into the water. The young child, probably two or three years old, dips a toe in the water, quickly removes it, and tells her father "make it warmer." The father puts his hand into the water and is surprised to find that, rather than too cold, the water is already warmer than what his daughter is
Gleb Sevruk
Nov 18, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-dev
Overrated. This is not that bad as original scrum books from Ken Swabner, but still has a little to do with agile. Author is in the same boat with scrumalliance and selling certificates.

You should learn history and got to know that Evo Project Management established in 1960. Here is the source of agile:

Authors claim that is mathematically impossible to fail the project using Evo. What does Mike Cohn offer? Just write user story and do retrospective?

What d
David Workman
This is probably one of the best books I've read for a long time for software design. The method of using user stories as laid out in this book is a great way of obtaining a high level view of the requirements of a system, and the constant communication and feedback with customers that the described development strategy suggests is a good method of moving from the high level stories down towards the nitty gritty details of an implementation.

Possibly the most useful part of the book though is the
Arjen
Nov 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Decent book by Mike Cohn about user stories. Since we are applying SCRUM for the development process in our tiny company and I had no prior knowledge to SCRUM nor user stories, this book seemed like a good primer introducing me in those concepts.

I was right. Don't expect any ground breaking or world moving theories here. Just a very clear and thorough explanation of what user stories are, what user stories are not, how they relate to alternative requirement gathering strategies and how to use th

• Agile Software Requirements: Lean Requirements Practices for Teams, Programs, and the Enterprise
  • Lean Software Development: An Agile Toolkit
  • The Art of Agile Development
  • Agile Software Development
  • Agile Software Development with Scrum
  • Agile and Iterative Development: A Manager's Guide (Agile Software Development Series)
  • Agile Coaching
  • Bridging the Communication Gap: Specification by Example and Agile Acceptance Testing
  • Agile Product Management with Scrum: Creating Products That Customers Love
  • Agile Testing: A Practical Guide for Testers and Agile Teams
  • Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great
  • Extreme Programming Explained: Embrace Change (The XP Series)
  • Scrum and XP from the Trenches
  • Software Requirements: Practical Techniques for Gathering and Managing Requirements Throughout the Product Development Cycle
  • Refactoring to Patterns
  • xUnit Test Patterns: Refactoring Test Code
  • Software Estimation: Demystifying the Black Art
  • Collaboration Explained: Facilitation Skills for Software Project Leaders

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Mike Cohn is the owner of Mountain Goat Software and is recognized as one of the contributors to the invention of Scrum. He is one of the founders of the Scrum Alliance and is a Certified Scrum Trainer. He is a trainer on Scrum and agile software process techniques and helped popularize Planning poker which he provides as a free online planning tool.

From Wikipedia.com (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki

A Kent Beck Signature Book (7 books)
  • Test Driven Development: By Example