Start by marking “I Take Thee, Serenity (Kendal Trilogy, #3 )” as Want to Read:
I Take Thee, Serenity (Kendal Trilogy, #3 )

I Take Thee, Serenity

(Kendal Trilogy #3)

This is the story of Peter and Serenity, two young people confronted with the problem of making a true marriage in the midst of today's confusions. On one side is the modern style of living of their college mates--on the other the pressure for a formal wedding in a church they have never attended.

Thinking that Quakers have no formalities--and no minister--Serenity turns fo
Published January 1st 1975 by Houghton Mifflin

To ask other readers questions about I Take Thee, Serenity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Take Thee, Serenity

Katherine

Sometimes, when the timing is right, when your heart or mind are in a certain place and are prepared in just a particular way, specific books can be doorways. Doorways through which you walk and where new truth opens up and what is revealed is so profound it changes something inside you.

That was my experience with I Take Thee, Serenity. Not that the characters or occurrences in the story were similar to my own life or experience, but more that the searching for answers and being led to them, of
Douglas  Donaldson
Aug 05, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In some ways this book, aimed at young people living in the 1960s, is dated in its approach. Still, as an introduction to Quaker values and living, I found the book inspiring and eventually read the other works by Daisy Newman. It seems she wrote the same story for several generations. We all hope for and at the same time disbelieve in innocent hamlets. This book--along with Diligence in Love and others--will inspire belief. Recommended for young women especially, but also for those who can stil ...more
Val Nostdahl
Mar 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
believe it or not I found this book in the early 80's and fell in love with the story, even red the 2nd book by the author, I liked the name so much I decided to name my first baby, serenity, it took some doing to convince family this is what I wanted, and on the day she was born, her dad actually liked it so well he named her, and came back to my room after I had her to tell me she was here!
Gizella Czene
Apr 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this story as a teen and it inspired my life-long interest in Quakers. I am now a supporter of the American Friends Society and consider myself a nontheistic friend.
John Pitcock
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Serenity encompassed my being. I felt at peace as if I were at Fairbank. I also wanted to learn more about the Quaker religion. This was a nice way to start the New Year.
Zana
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a delightful book, and I love it unreservedly.

I'm not sure anyone besides me would love it. It is very much a novel about the 70s, and commenting on society then. I don't even know if would make sense to anyone who is not already Quaker, for all that its central story is about a young woman discovering Quakerism and realizing that she and her fiancé are feeling led to be married under the care of a meeting.

But I love it on its own merits. The characters are complex, everybody develops o
Mary List
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another sweet little treasure I found at my library, & I read it many, many times
Gennyfer Hanvey
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I reread this book this week after about 30 years. At least I think it was a reread as I remembered loving it as a girl but my 30 years older memory and perspective made it very different. It really is a cautionary tale written in reaction to the easing of sexual moral standards brought about by the advent of the pill. It is also a lovely look at Quakerism and a great example of living a more mindful life. Because of the moral point Newman is trying to strike home about premarital sex that pops ...more
Mandy
Nov 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2009
At first I struggled with this book, and thought that Newman was not a good writer. But the deeper in the book I got, the less I noticed her particular style, and I absolutely fell for this story. In fact I keep picking it up and re-reading parts. The book is a novel, but a novel about a couple discovering Quakers, and so she describes meeting for Worship, business meeting, a Quaker wedding, how Quakers deal with death, how Quakers live, plain speech - it's is all shown.

It is all a bit shiny an
Dawn Michelle
Jan 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I by this time had gotten in the habit of getting the Readers Digest Condensed books as soon as they came in the mail and then sat down and read every story in there. I LOVED books and couldn't get enough of them. Hence me reading stuff that was WAY too old for me to read. :)
This is a great love story. A sweet story. I think my mom still has this copy of the RDC and I think I am going to steal it from her and read all the stories again! YAY
Lois
May 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finally got this book on an interlibrary loan from Carthage Public Library. I am excited about finding out how the different characters came to be in it's sequel "Indian Summer of the Heart." It was great to find out more about Serenity and Peter. It wass an enjoyable book to read, there is a feeling of peace and yes, serenity, in it as well as in "Indian Summer of the Heart."
Doris Carter
May 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this story in a Reader's Digest condensed book as well as the sequel Indian Summer of the Heart when my children were very young. I became interested in the Quaker way of life and found both stories beautiful.
Blaine Morrow
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Warm and comforting, this book provides a look at Quaker traditions and lifestyles and follows a young woman's growth toward self-discovery. A good read for anyone looking for spiritual growth or development.
CLM
Aug 28, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to CLM by: SLM
Charming if improbable story about a couple who decide to marry very young, and become part of a Quaker community in Rhode Island. Although dated, it is a fascinating introduction to the Quaker religion and lifestyle.

Mrs. Newman was the housemother in my mother's college dorm.
Diane Wachter
RDC-M V 1 1976, 6/78. A novel about a young couple, college life, marriage, and their Quaker religion. Okay.
Margaret Boehm
May 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very moving. Enjoyable.
Vikki
Jun 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a Quaker story of two college students who want to marry. Very good.
Lindsay
Nov 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this years ago. Like in high school. Loved it then. Enjoyed reading it again. A bit dated but
still good.
Heather!
Eh. I'm pretty sure I would have hated this book had I not been fascinated with Quakers when I read it.
Jobiska (Cindy)
Jul 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps dated now, but I still love it. I wouldn't be surprised if this novel helped inform the Quakerism of several girls of my generation...
Laura Rogers
Kristine
Apr 20, 2008
« previous 1 3 next »
1 follower
Daisy Newman, a novelist and Quaker historian, was born in Southport, England, of American parents. She attended Radcliffe College, Barnard College and Oxford University. An active member of the Friends Meeting in Cambridge, Mass., she frequently wrote about Quaker life and history.

She was the author of many novels, including "Now That April's Here," "Diligence in Love," "The Autumn's Brightness"

Kendal Trilogy (3 books)