Start by marking “I Always Find You” as Want to Read:
I Always Find You

I Always Find You

(Platserna #2)

In September 1985, nineteen-year-old John Lindqvist moved into a dilapidated old building in Stockholm, planning to make his living as a magician. Something strange was going on in the locked shower room in the building’s basement—and the price of entry was just a little blood.

I Always Find You is a horror story—as bizarre and macabre as any of Lindqvist’s earlier novels—b
Published July 1st 2018 by Text Publishing (first published September 2015)

Marianne
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5★s
“… spent some time staring at myself in the mirror. After all, there was an alternative way to explain everything that was happening to me, and I searched for something in my eyes, a sign that I was losing my mind. But what does such a sign look like, and can it even be spotted by a person who is losing the plot?”

I Always Find You is the second book in the Locations trilogy by Swedish author, John Ajvide Lindqvist. It is flawlessly translated from the original Swedish by Marlaine Delargy. A
Lou
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Touted as Sweden's answer to Stephen King, I was eager to get my hands on a copy of this. I have always been a fan of the horror genre, and have been trying to read more from this array of pieces to choose from. While I did enjoy this, I found it more than a little odd, which is no bad thing for a horror novel. I would catergorise it as avant'garde horror as it really is out there!

Odd? Creepy? Very strange? Yes, please! It sounds right up my reading street! The writing was sparse and flowed well
Lucy Banks
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Visceral, ambiguous and creepy - I liked it!

I really like this author. His writing reminds me of a hybrid of Stephen King (eerie, gory, wildly inventive) and David Mitchell / Haruki Murakami (weird, inconclusive, otherworldly). It's a good combination!

This one is supposedly 'semi-autobiographical' in that the main character is the author himself, aged 19, or something like that. He's a down-on-his luck magician who moves i
Maja Ingrid
Mostly listened to audiobook even though I own it in hardcover. Thankfully this time narrated by Ajvide himself. I actually really like listening to his book even though I'm not a fan of audiobooks in general.

Solid continuation to the trilogy. Though it only gives a teeny tiny bit answers to the questions from last book, and leaves you with more questions. We still know little to nothing about the field and the creatures from it.

The writing is still as good as ever. Ajvide has a way with decr
Joseph

Some years back I had enjoyed - with some reservations - Lindqvist's first and best novel "Let the Right One In". It was that which led me to try his latest book to be published in English (in a translation by Marlaine Delargy) - I Always Find You - the second instalment in the "Places" trilogy. Unfortunately, it left me with a sour taste, a reminder that in-your-face horror is, alas, not for me... Which, of course, does not mean that there's not much for others to enjoy in this book.

Lindqvist
The Tattooed Book Geek (Drew).
As always this review can also be found on my blog The Tattooed Book Geek: https://thetattooedbookgeek.wordpress...

I Always Find You is a slow-burning read that is told from the first person perspective. The first person narration gives a personal account of the story as an older Lindqvist recounts the events that transpired during a six month period over thirty years ago in 1985.

In September 1985 nineteen-year-old John Lindqvist moves from Ibsengatan in Blackeberg to a run-down apartment block
Maria Hill AKA MH Books
Five-star beginning and three-star ending. Will review soon!
Text Publishing
‘Lindqvist manages a near-perfect blend of moving and macabre.’
BookMooch

‘[A] tale of a strange evil force.’
Age

‘A bizarre read, seriously inventive and wildly different.’
Weekend West
Tez
Jul 31, 2018 rated it liked it
WARNINGS: Child neglect, police brutality towards children, antisemitism, skinhead assaulting a black man, suicide, assassination.

There may be more, but these are just the ones I remember right now.
Linda
John Ajvide Lindqvist plays with different ways of writing. He assimilates different dimensions in time and space. In the book, he makes himself the main character, as a young man living in Stockholm and working as a magician. Something is going on i the laundry room in the house where John rents an apartment, and he notices that his neighbors spend much time there, and begin to look exhausted and gloomy.

The characters are mostly outsiders, broken in different ways, and searching meaning in thei
Maria
Jun 27, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 always wondered where he got his ideas from as usual pretty out there enjoyed it ready for the next one
Abmost
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, arc
For more reviews, please feel free to check out: abmostfiction.wordpress.com

I received an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is the second book in the Places trilogy, the first being "I Am Behind You" which I really enjoyed - Unfortunately I didn't enjoy this one as much.

"In September 1985, nineteen-year-old John Lindqvist moves into a dilapidated old building in Stockholm, planning to make his living as a magician. Something strange is going on in the building's basement -
Bella
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, swedish
Not as disastrous as I first thought it would be. The writing isn't bad, but doesn't amount to anything, which is ultimately what drags the grade down. Moreover, just like Himmelstrand, the book raises several questions as to what 'the other place' is and the mechanics of it, but never bothers to address any of them, which I personally found more frustrating than anything.
Michelle
I received a copy of this book via NetGalley.

This is the second book in the Places trilogy, the first being I am Behind You.

I Always Find You is written as a fictionalised autobiography or memoir of the author's life growing up in Sweden. Aged 19 John moves in to a dingy apartment in a housing complex in Stockholm, scratching a meagre living as a street magician and petty thief. His neighbours seem friendly enough until something goes kaput in the communal bathroom rendering it unusable. The ro
Jerome Berglund
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Riveting as ever.

Imagine if 'Lunar Park' met Barker's 'Lord of Illusions'. With a stoic Nordic edge.
Kevin Tindell
Feb 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Quite a dark book. I struggled to find much uplifting in it. Something different though. Would recommend if you fancy something a bit gruesome.
Ludwig
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I ALWAYS FIND YOU is a Swedish horror novel that I was completely intrigued by. It's divided into three parts. The first third is mainly dedicated to the events and struggles leading up to the day where John Lindqvist (the author himself) got the urge to start writing horror stories; like getting a place of his own in a courtyard in Luntmakargatan 14 in Stockholm, endeavoring to win in the Nordic Championships and especially John's desire to make his living as a magician.
But John knew that the
James
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is the second novel in a proposed trilogy by the Swedish horror writer (the third and final instalment forthcoming) and is a sequel to I Am Behind You, which I reviewed here: https://bit.ly/2SVDh97

Whereas I Am Behind You was just surreal, I Always find you is really a very odd book. In fact, I would almost go as far as to describe it as experimental. For a start, the protagonist is called John Ajvide Lindqvist, and if that name sounds familiar, it’s because it is, it’s the name of the autho
Siobhan
I Always Find You is a slow burn horror novel about a strange entrance to another place and how the residents of a building find themselves drawn to it. It is 1985 and young John Lindqvist moves into an old building, trying to make it as a magician. He is drawn towards a mysterious laundry room in the building, and feels a darkness emanating from it that he wants to know more about. The other residents in the building seem to know something about it, and he becomes part of a strange group held b ...more
Andrea
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: euro-horror
When you are next thinking of accessing a portal to another dimension, perhaps you should consider the shower block?

Now that he has moved into his first apartment, nineteen year old Lindqvist is sure that success is just around the corner. He will need to at first progress through the usual fog of teenage inertia in order to reach his goals, so a clear path to fame and fortune is not crystal clear just yet. The other residents of the apartment complex seem to the usual odd mix of urban folk (who
Martin DH
I feel I have a weird view of this book. It is good but a lot of its value comes from that it raises the rating of the author's other books (especially Himmelstrand, Platserna #1). Rörelsen binds together a lot of his books into a great mythos, since it is written as an autobiography but in a scary, fictional, and supernatural environment/storyline. If you like John Ajvide-Lindqvist I highly recommend this one even if it's not one of his best.
It also gives some more info on what happens in Himme
Katrina
I Will Always Find You has a deep sense of unease and foreboding throughout which doesn't quite go the way one would expect. There's some memorable imagery and the characters have dreamlike and, occasionally sinister aspect.

It's definitely an interesting novel, although I wasn't quite sure about why Lindqvist made it a fictional biography of himself, admittedly, every time I saw his name in the pages it did take me out of the story a little.

Solid read overall, and would pick up another of his
queen_plaga
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! I wish I could describe that book, but I can't. You have to experience it. I love this book. The story, the characters and the setting. Everything. I know the author is called "The Swedish Stephen King" but he's another level - and I love King. This book asks so many philosophical questions and opens so many interpretations. Beside a story which is so amazing.

The author can do it that I wasn't sure what my own reality exactly is.
Louise
Sep 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aaron (Typographical Era)
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love the way this was presented as a real-life story from the past of real-life author John Ajvide Lindqvist. It goes a long way to explaining all of his work, including the basis for I Will Always Find You, which is the first in his latest trilogy. It starts slow, but gets crazy good at the end.
Ab
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror, a-bit-creepy
The first book was a whole lot better, I thought, and had more of an interesting plot. This one had trouble figuring out if it was a memoir, fiction, had literally any connection to the first book, or what it was. There were connections, waaaaaay towards the end, but I just didn't find the payoff on the strangeness as compelling as the first book.
Christian
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Weird fiction in the horror genre but highly enjoyable. I think the less you know the better going into this one but let me just say it was an incredibly gory novel in places and not for the lighthearted. Lindqvist also does a great job at blurring fact and fiction which helps immensely for this novel.
Anna Chapman
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve never read any Lindqvist before. But I now plan on reading his entire bibliography.
This novel is mind blowing in its subtleness, brutality, and humanity, and at times lack there of.
I feel like I’ve just read a novel by the love child of Neil Gaiman and Poppy Z. Brite.
Alex
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
A very poor book. If you want to engage the reader you should make the character either likeable or interesting and Lindqvist fails at this. A little more coherent than his 'I am Behind You' but that's the only positive I can give.
Simona
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I didn't realise that this was book 2 - will see if I can get hold of book 1

• Berättelser från Engelsfors (Engelsfors, #2.5)
  • Barnbruden
  • Samlade svenska kulter
  • Vägen mot bålberget
  • Nordiska väsen
  • Jag ringer mina bröder
  • Världens dåligaste språk: Tankar om språket och människan idag
  • Det här är hjärtat
  • Norra Latin (Stockholmsserien #1)
  • De døde sjæles nat
  • Den stora verklighetsflykten
  • The Brains of Rats
  • Var det bra så?
  • Koka björn
  • Att föda ett barn (Maj, #1)
  • Terra Nullius: A Journey Through No One's Land
  • The Christmas Oratorio
  • Expeditionen: Min kärlekshistoria
John Ajvide Lindqvist (John Erik Ajvide Lindqvist) is a Swedish author who grew up in Blackeberg, the setting for Let the Right One In . Wanting to become something awful and fantastic, he first became a conjurer, and then was a stand-up comedian for twelve years. He has also written for Swedish television.

His Let the Right One In was a bestseller in Sweden and was named Best Novel in Translati

Platserna (3 books)
  • Himmelstrand (Platserna, #1)
  • X: Den sista platsen (Platserna, #3)