Start by marking “Faerie Knitting: 14 Tales of Love and Magic” as Want to Read:
Faerie Knitting: 14 Tales of Love and Magic

Faerie Knitting: 14 Tales of Love and Magic

From New York Times bestselling author Alice Hoffman and master knitter Lisa Hoffman comes Faerie Knitting, a magical melding of words and yarn where the ordinary is turned into the extraordinary and where imagination becomes creation.

The magic of storytelling and the magic of knitting—woven together in 14 original patterns inspired by each story.

“How fairy tales are told
Published September 25th 2018 by Adams Media

To ask other readers questions about Faerie Knitting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Faerie Knitting

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: “How fairy tales are told and remembered has a great deal in common with knitting traditions. It is no mistake that we describe storytelling as knitting a tale, or weaving a story, or spinning a yarn.”—Alice Hoffman, from the Introduction of Faerie Knitting

ABOUT THIS BOOK: Featuring fourteen original fairy tales, Faerie Knitting is an entrancing collection of stories of love and loss, trust and perseverance. Seamlessly woven into the plot of each tale is a magical garment or accessory i
Lucy McLaurin
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don't usually log my craft books as my "read" books as they are not stories ... usually!

This book is an absolute charm as it has fourteen faerie tales each with a knit to go hand in hand with the tale. I devoured it in one afternoon as I sat wrapped up in the wooden seating area my husband built for the garden. The idea was to get some fresh air and try and aid the healing of this bug I have.

I absolutely adored the little stories and their matching knits. Fantastic idea and so lovingly execute
Christine
Sep 30, 2018 added it
Shelves: read-in-2018
This is a lovely book that serves not only as a pattern guide but as a reminder that Faerie stories come from within as well as being passed down through the ages. All too often we forget in our times of 'politically correct' and 'historically accurate' that these stories were constantly revised to fit the day that they were being told while remaining true to the lessons within. I love that there are no names associated with these, no major background information or world building, they are just ...more
Raquel Evans
I'm rating this book generously because I love the concept of linked stories and knitting patterns, and that part was done impressively well. Each pattern and story really did make sense together.

There were a couple of stories I really enjoyed, but most of them I found mediocre. There are also a couple of knitting patterns I would considering using, and several I enjoyed looking at, even if I'm never inspired to make them. (It's also a very pretty book overall!)

All of these stories were 'cle
Judy
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
A delightful blend of stories and quick knit and bigger knitting projects. This is one I want for my home library.
Juli Anna
Jan 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: diy, myth-folklore
What a delightful concept--a collection of original fairy tales with knitting patterns to match. I really enjoyed reading these tales, and I loved the variety in the knitting patterns. The patterns are suitable for a variety of levels of knitters as well. I saved a couple of patterns that I definitely intend to knit up one of these weekends.
Lyn
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful book.
Ann
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Short but enjoyable and knitting patterns too!
Aimee Leonhard
Nov 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: knitting, adult
I am a knitter who loves fairy tales so I thought this would be a wonderful book. It's a good book and maybe my expectations were too high. I didn't love any of the knitting patterns. The Blue Heron shawl on the cover is probably the nicest pattern in the book. Alice Hoffman is an interesting writer and I was looking forward to her tales but while these are very nice, maybe too nice, there is a sameness about them. They are so tidy, there is no sting. They are like vanilla pudding when I was exp ...more
Jillian (PidginPea's Book Nook)
So I'm a huge procrastinator and I didn't get a chance to read the stories before this was due back at the library (*shame*), but I did flip through the patterns. The pictures are gorgeous and they really make me want to read the stories that go along with them, so I'll be requesting this one again.

There are some mittens and scarves, a baby blanket, and some fun accessories like a pendant necklace and charm bags... Also some really elaborate shawls, a hat, a vest, and some fingerless gloves tha
Ligaya
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
I didn't expect the faerie tales within this knitting book - I skipped them, despite their being pretty short. So this is purely about the knitting patterns which run the gamut from charming (the Charm Bags, natch) to clunky (Invisible Hood). The Brokenhearted Vest is an intriguing shape and construction, and sparks ideas of how to make it work better for my body shape, but ultimately, nothing in this book calls for me to pick up my knitting needles. Beautiful photography and book design and int ...more
Ruth
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was just going to be a book of patterns.
What a wonderful surprise to find it is a book of fairy tale-type stories AND patterns

The author of the stories and the designer of the patterns are cousins. How fortuitous for us that such a talented family exists.

My favorite story was "Brokenhearted". The actions taken by the carpenter to help the brokenhearted woman was very touching.

Each story, no more than two pages, showed real skill in the art of the short story.

The patterns are wonde
Laurie Sand
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
A pleasant, whimsical combination of fairy tales and simple knitting projects. The stories are short and light, with girls doing lots of knitting and rescuing, and with uniformly happy endings. Only one of the patterns seemed complex enough to really catch my interest; the rest are beginner or intermediate-beginner levels of difficulty. This would be a great gift for a young knitter ready to take on something more complex than a garter sritch scarf. Overall it has a mystical, light-hearted "powe ...more
Cheryl Hand
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lovely writing. I read this book on vacation in about an hour. The stories were well written, short and sweet. I’m not a knitter so I skipped through the patterns but loved the pictures that went along with each story and each pattern. I actually purchased a copy of the hardcover for a friend who does knit. I’m not sure she’s a reader but the stories are short and enchanting. Love Alice Hoffman books....CH
Jen
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a wonderful book! I can't knit, but I love Alice Hoffman and thought these stories would be fun. They were! And the knitting patterns and "secrets" were even interesting to me. I am amazed that people can create such beautiful things with some yarn and two needles. I recommend this if you like Alice Hoffman's magical style, or if you knit - and if both this will be a winner for you!
DDog
Amazing concept; the knitting patterns are great, the stories are okay. Fairy tales with no faeries, despite the book title.

Also extremely straight. Only two stories didn’t have a romance, and half of those that did had jarringly quick love-at-first-sight endings. Which is typical with fairy tales but these days I hope for more, you know?
Michelle
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A totally cool book with 14 tales and a knitting activity to go with each one.Very cool.I am not a knitter but I am a reader and this collaboration was awesome.The knitwear brings the story to life,and the story gives meaning to the knitwear.Clever indeed.I can't even pick which I liked best because they all meant more after reading the tale.
Cheri
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What could be better than Alice Hoffman writing faerie tales and her cousin Lisa Hoffman designing knitting patterns to go along with them? These stories are wonderful tales of love and loss and love again. Just as all faerie tales should be.

My needles are calling to me to cast on each and every one of these patterns.
Callie MacLachlan
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. The knitting patterns are charming, but the faerie tales, written for a modern world, that accompany the patterns are worth reading just for the sheer joy of reading them. Empowering and heartwarming, the stories are filled with kindness and compassion and love. A few things our world could do with a little more of today.
Ann
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I usually steer away from short stories and find most pattern books have too many items that are very basic. These tales are very original and have an item mentioned in the story whose pattern is featured. Chances are that I will knit something from the book and read the stories again!
Pat
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a fantastic combination of my 2 favourite past-times. There was a lovely faerie tale to go with each creation. My husband offered this to me as a birthday gift, and I couldn't be more impressed with this beautiful presentation.
Christina
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: art-craft
Interesting premise. But I found the knitting projects to be uninspiring (very little I'd actually use if I made it) and the fairy tales to be thin on details. I guess I've read too many novels "inspired by fairy tales" to really enjoy the slimmed down versions.
Marianne
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This unique and charming collection of original faerie tales and corresponding knitting patterns is sure to warm your heart. The book itself is a work of art, containing beautiful photos for readers to reflect upon while reading the faerie tales. A great collaboration!
Dawna
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This a gorgeous book throughout! The short faerie tales by Allice Hoffman, the knit items by Lisa Hoffman, and the photographs. If you are or know a master knitter, this makes a perfect gift! If you are a lover of sweet short faerie tales, this book is for you!
Melissa
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5/5

I crochet, rather than knit, but I read this short book when I started a baby blanket for my new baby cousin. It was a simple read, as most fairy tales are, but it was fun to listen to as I worked.
Robyn Martin
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Audible
Mo
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Charming stories but most patterns were not something I would knit. The concept of combining knitting with fairy tales was creative.
MG
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
Obnoxious.
Nellie
Mar 10, 2019 rated it liked it
an interesting collection of fairy tales that have some kind knitting in the story. With each story is an accompanied pattern.

listened to it while at the gym.
Jenn Maguire
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love the stories and how knitting is incorporated. Very cool that there are patterns that match the knitted items in the stories.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Glamourie
  • Alpaca Picture Book: Photos & Fun Facts
  • Woodland Knits: 20 enchanting projects to make and share
  • Craft Activism: People, Ideas, and Projects from the New Community of Handmade and How You Can Join in
  • The Magic of Shetland Lace Knitting: Stitches, Techniques, and Projects for Lighter-than-Air Shawls & More
  • Yarn: Remembering the Way Home
  • Knitlandia: A Knitter Sees the World
  • Sweater Quest: My Year of Knitting Dangerously
  • 101 Easy Homemade Products for Your Skin, Health & Home: A Nerdy Farm Wife's All-Natural DIY Projects Using Commonly Found Herbs, Flowers & Other Plants
  • Teeny-Tiny Mochimochi: More Than 40 Itty-Bitty Minis to Knit, Wear, and Give
  • Custom Socks: Knit to Fit Your Feet
  • Brave New Knits: 26 Projects and Personalities from the Knitting Blogosphere
  • The Nutcracker and the Four Realms: The Secret of the Realms: An Extended Novelization
  • Her Beautiful Monster (Ravi PI #2)
  • The Librarians and the Pot of Gold (The Librarians, #3)
  • The Sweater Workshop: Knit Creative, Seam-Free Sweaters on Your Own with Any Yarn
  • Signs of Hope: Messages from Subway Therapy
  • The Serpent Kings
Alice Hoffman is the author of more than thirty works of fiction, including The Rules of Magic, The Marriage of Opposites, Practical Magic, The Red Garden, the Oprah’s Book Club selection Here on Earth, The Museum of Extraordinary Things, and The Dovekeepers. She lives near Boston.