Start by marking “The Royal Runaway” as Want to Read:
The Royal Runaway

The Royal Runaway

For fans of The Princess Diaries and The Royal We comes a fun and daring novel about a modern-day princess who teams up with a spy to find out what happened to the fiancé who left her at the altar—and who just might get her own fairytale in the process.

Princess Theodora Isabella Victoria of Drieden of the Royal House Laurent is so over this princess thing.

After her fiancé
Published October 9th 2018 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about The Royal Runaway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Royal Runaway

Jenny
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Last week on one of the hottest days of summer, I took a road trip with a couple of friends and we decided that ice cream would be the perfect treat to cool us off. As we were driving, all of us were talking about what flavor of ice cream we were going to get. I was torn, do I get my safe, consistent, and reliable vanilla. You can’t go wrong with vanilla or then my mind wandered to the rich, decadent, exotic taste of chocolate. I walked up to the counter, money in hand, still debating the voices ...more
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
I flipping love this book! Awesome combination of genres and so entertaining. I could not stop reading.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I love it when a book is completely different than what you expect when you read the synopsis. This is the first book from this author that I have had a chance to read and review. Showcased as a contemporary romance, this book is so much more than that. Emory crosses multiple genres with interest and intrigue.

From the very first chapter I knew I was going to thoroughly enjoy thi
Kristy K
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

If you’re looking for a silly romantic comedy with just a touch of suspense to escape into for a few hours, this is your book. It’s advertised for fans of The Princess Diaries and I think that’s the perfect way to describe this. The plot may differ but that entertaining, fun quality with a touch of a fairy-tale is there. I found all of the characters to be highly entertaining and I really liked the dynamic between Nick and Thea.

This is a great book to read on the beach or after a bad d
Lindsay Emory
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I mean, if the author can't give it five stars, who can? ;-)
Tina
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it
As an avid Royal fan (British and other European), I always enjoy reading fictitious romance type books based on them.

I listened to the audio version of this and it was an entertaining experience.

Princess Theodora of Dreidan has been left at the altar. She doesn't understand why her fiancee (Christian) did not turn up. After some months have passed she tries to get away for an evening and sneaks out of the palace undetected. She meets a mysterious man (Nick) in a bar. There seems to be more to t
Stephanie
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved The Royal We, so I had to get my hands on The Royal Runaway after reading the blurb that pretty much said if you loved the one, then you'd be a fan of this book! Plus, I'm royal-obsessed anyway, whether it's a real-life royal or a made up one, so I'm all about a book with a Princess in it but when you add the word "British spy" to the synopsis, that makes my mind race to thoughts of James Bond, and I'm more than sold!

Princess Theodora of Drieden has just been left at the alta
Lizzy (Bent Bookworm)
~*Full review here on The Bent Bookworm!*~

Fluffy. A little bit funny, a lot ridiculous. Requires much more suspension of disbelief than my usual picks, but even still it was entertaining enough to finish. The title feels a bit misleading, as Thea never really seems to run away…she just sort of flounces off and disappears for a few days but doesn’t really go far. But anyway…

The plot is a bit…farfetched. Hence the required suspension of disbelief. The locale is obviously based on England, but the
Kate Vocke
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, winner-winner
THIS is the princess book I've always wanted to read! The usual fluff, and jewels and gowns and balls? NOT part of this story! This book has some serious girl-power, with a kick-a$$ princess who is seriously OVER being just that. Meet Thea, Princess bad-A$$ of Dreiden, who takes no BS, charts her own path, and just might save some lives in the process, all the while taking charge of her own Happily Ever After.

We start off at a pretty low point in Princess Theodora Isabella Victoria of Dreiden's
G.
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Silly, but fun.
Stacee
Sep 28, 2018 rated it liked it

This book was put on my radar by a good friend who loved it and after reading the synopsis, I was all over it.

I liked Thea and Nick. She’s struggling, but loves her family and the history of the monarchy. He’s gruff and gruff and just so very gruff. Together they bicker and have some sweet moments and flashes of chemistry. There are several other characters, but this story is all Thea.

Plot wise, it did lag a bit for me. Even with the secrets and spies thread, I was expecting things to
Amy Reichert
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fun mashup of THE PRINCESS DIARIES meets Jason Bourne. This was outstanding from start to finish. Add to your TBR.
FMABookReviews
***4.5 Stars!***

Do you love a slow burn romance, with sexual tension and sarcastic banter? How about romance with a side of mystery? The Royal Runaway by Lindsay Emory has all of that, plus intriguing characters, and a story that keeps you on the edge of your seat while snorting with laughter.

❝Does this work with women, usually? This ...❞ I gestured to all of him. ❝This roguish scoundrel act?❞

❝You're having a drink with me; you tell me.❞

Princess Theodora Isabella Victoria of Drieden of the Ro
Mackenzie
Jan 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Song for summary: You Make Me Feel... by Cobra Starship

This was a slow read for me. The characters were mysterious, royal, and well connected; while the plot was an action-packed adventure brimming with politics and romance. I didn't love the characters to be honest, I felt a disconnect between Princess Theodora's personality and her more common, grounded alter ego, Thea. The switch between a formal monarchy to a simple commoner seemed to be a bit of a stretch at times. Nevertheless, the storyli
Renee (itsbooktalk.com)
DNF 40%....I gave this a good chance to turn around but even with skimming this wasn't for me. I felt no chemistry between Thea and Nick and expected more romance and less running around trying trying to be spies
laurel [suspected bibliophile]
After being jilted at the alter by her fiance in the most public way imaginable (a royal wedding), Thea returns from four months of seclusion determined to get her life back on track. But when taking an unapproved jaunt into town to burn off steam, she meets the sultry, crude Nick Cameron, who quickly embroils her in an adventure of running from her guards, creative financing, hacking and the idea that her missing fiance might have had a nasty demise after all...

Parts of this I absolutely adored
Natasha Niezgoda
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rom-com, love-stories
Four stars for this one!

‘The Royal Runaway’ brings back the nostalgia of Nancy Drew except in this story Nancy and Ned Nickerson actually have a romantic relationship. 💏

Thea is a princess. And just a few months ago, she’s stood up at the alter. After taking some advised time away from the public eye, she is forced back into royal duties. But she isn’t feeling it. So one night she sneaks out and meets Nick. (Now this is where I thought the book would take a turn toward a cute chick-lit “Princess
Bex | TotallyBex.com
★★ 4.5 stars! ★★

Set in the fictional European monarchy of Drieden, The Royal Runaway reads like an Old Hollywood whodunit caper set in modern times. The story is part mystery, part suspense, and part romance, all told in the fresh voice of Lindsay Emory.

Princess Theodora isn’t necessarily happy with the royal status quo, but she’s resigned to the fact that she was born second in line to the throne of Drieden. This familial obligation has both dictated her upbringing and her decisions, but has al
Suzi
Oct 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, reviews

You know that romantic comedy with a little touch of suspense and investigation here and there? If you like this kind of story, then enjoy this book!

Thea, Princess of Drieden was abandoned on her wedding day in front of thousands of people. Christian, her fiancé, didn't show up and nobody heard anything from him.

After this, Thea spends four months in exile — an island where they send women
Rashika (is tired)
Quite honestly speaking, The Royal Runaway was probably one of my most disappointing reads of 2018. In theory it should be the kind of book that works for me. We have a princess breaking the rules, a sexy scot, a mystery, A LOT OF things that would draw me in. In actuality, The Royal Runaway ended up completely disappointing me. The characters were blander than actual cardboard. The plot fell flat, and even though there was a strong mystery element, it just didn’t work or get my blood pumping. I ...more
Cocktails and Books
I wanted to live this book. The elements were there. But I felt like I was supposed to believe in a romance that was never really seemed to develop between Thea and Nick was there. That the government would let a little thing like embezzlement go. And in the end, the bad guy never really gets caught. It all made for an underwhelming story, despite having a quirky heroine I liked.
MJ
Jan 18, 2019 rated it liked it
I’m on the fence about this one. I didn’t NOT like it, but I didn’t love it either. It started off pretty good- lonely princess meets hot rugged Scot in a dingy bar, everything's pretty great until… whoops! Turns out he’s a spy. That’s blackmailing her. Well, isn’t that awkward.
The plot itself is pretty good- lots of action scenes with a forbidden/dangerous romance… but, I don’t know. It kinda lost me. Could be I’m too simple minded (which wouldn’t be all that surprising), but it seemed to me it
Aila

Thank you Netgalley and Gallery Books for the review copy!

To give you a clue on how I felt about this book, THE ROYAL RUNAWAY ruined my post-Royal Wedding haze. Yes, the Royal Wedding that happened less than a week ago (per writing this review) for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle that I couldn’t escape from social media, and subsequently ended up enjoying. I really wanted to like this book - I really did. There’s a super cute cover, a tight and engaging premise, and in general just sound
Nina Bocci
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Being a fan of all things Royal and especially Royal romances, I had high hopes for it and it didn't disappoint. It takes the usual Royal trope and flips it on it's ear. It's got banter, mystery, romance and a sharply developed plot. Thea aka Princess Theodora is engaging, whip-smart and funny. Her chemistry with the sexy Scot, Nick, was off-the-charts. I read this in one-sitting and I highly recommend it!
Katherine Locke
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Unputdownable nonstop action and thriller with a very solid romance. I ship it. And the author is an autobuy for me now. So good.
Rachel Gilbey
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had been anticipating a light hearted romance, full of heat and not too much more. What I read however was so much more than that.

Set in a small kingdom, the book tells the story of a jilted Royal princess, and her determination to discover just what happened to the man she was meant to marry.

What becomes incredibly apparent is that she can't really trust anyone.

There is so much action, and plot in this book its tricky at times to keep track, but once you get to grips with who everyone is a
Katie
So for sure I did this book a disservice for putting it down for several weeks, but also . . . it got too convoluted by the end. I can't really tell you what exactly happened in regard to the non-romance plot.

But oh, there were some fun pieces here. Someday my royal romance will come . . . .
Emily Lapish
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very fun, quick read.
Julie
I was expecting more of a romcom than a murder mystery with a side of extreme chemistry and I wish we'd gotten to really know Thea and Nick more than we did, but I still loved this and had so much fun reading and couldn't put it down. It was the book I needed right now and I'll always love it for that.
Rachel Quinn
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you grew up loving #ThePrincessDiaries then boy do I have a book for you! This book, The Royal Runaway by @LindsayEmory is such a great read.
Theodora is the princess of Drieden and is set to marry Christian but when he doesn’t show up to the wedding and leaves Thea at the alter, everything changes. Four months later, Thea meets Nick a sexy Scottish man, who just so happens to be a British Spy OH and her ex-fiancé’s brother.
Theodora isn’t your typical princess. She’s a very strong women, t
Linh
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Definitely enjoyable. There was a solid plot here and I was surprised by how much I liked the conspiracy. Give me a strong Scottish man any day and I'm sure I will love it.
  • Informally Educated: A True Tale of Child Abuse, Survival and Murder
  • Fake It Till You Break It
  • The Art of the Cookie: Baking Up Inspiration by the Dozen
  • It Takes Two (Bridesmaids Behaving Badly #2)
  • The Duke's Bridle Path
  • The Sweetest Kind of Fate (Windy City Magic, #2)
  • The Leftover Club
  • Icing on the Cake (Close to Home, #2)
  • One Fine Duke (School for Dukes, #3)
  • Finding Hope for Tomorrow (Tomorrows #2)
  • The Duke of Kisses (The Untouchables, #11)
  • The Scandalous Love of a Duke (Marlow Intrigues, #4)
  • You've Got Male (Chick Flick Club Book 2)
  • Talk Dirty to Me (Plum Orchard, #1)
  • Waiting for Tom Hanks
  • The Art of French Kissing
  • The Now or Never Moment: Omnibus
  • The Prisoner (The Replacement, #1.5)
“A lioness doesn't explain herself to a mouse.” 1 likes
“There will be no more tears shed for him. His name will never be spoken in this house again."
It was an order from my queen.
My eyes immediately went dry.”
0 likes