Start by marking “The Three Secret Cities (Jack West Jr #5)” as Want to Read:
The Three Secret Cities (Jack West Jr #5)

The Three Secret Cities

(Jack West Jr #5)

The thrilling new novel featuring Jack West, Jr. from New York Times and #1 international bestselling author Matthew Reilly!

A shadow world behind the real world

When Jack West, Jr. won the Great Games, he threw the four legendary kingdoms into turmoil.

A world with its own history, rules and prisons

Now these dark forces are coming after Jack...in ruthless fashion.

That
Published December 4th 2018 by Gallery Books (first published October 30th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Three Secret Cities, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Three Secret Cities

Kylie D
You've got to love Matthew Reilly, he never lets you down. This latest book in the Jack West Jnr series is the usual whirlwind of a book, never letting up on the action, as Jack and his team race around the world finding the location of the Three Secret Cities of the title. As usual there is mayhem, baddies and we leave a trail of destruction in our wake. All in a days work for Jack West Jnr! This is one of my favourite series, Matthew Reilly mixing meticulous and extensive research with rivetti ...more
Krystal
OH MY GOD I CAN'T DEAL.

And you're telling me I have to wait til freaking 2020 for the next one?!!

I don't even know how to process this.

This book has been my most anticipated read of 2018, and it did not disappoint.

There's the trademark action involving vehicles and guns, chases, puzzles and some seriously evil villains. Once again, Jack has to save the world with assistance from his friends, solving riddles and brushing shoulders with death. It's super far-fetched, so if you're one of those
Steven
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review!

Man alive, was this one a roller coaster ride??? Oh wait, they all are. This one, though, might tear your heart out. There's torture and suffering and death.... but there's also a lot of fun classic Jack West adventure: crazy rescues, ancient cities, cool powerful artifacts, daring escapes, overwhelming odds, etc.

If you've not picked up any of Jack West's series, you should, starting with Seven De
Josh
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, read_2018
Despite the hefty page count, Matthew Reilly's books are super quick reads loaded with pure adrenaline - and the latest installment in the Jack West Jr. series is no different.

Whereas the previous book, The Four Legendary Kingdoms focused primarily on a single location, Hades, The Three Secret Cities marks a return to West's globetrotting adventures as he and his loyal friends attempt to save the world once more from certain doom.

By completing a complex set of ancient puzzles across multiple c
The Cats Mother
This is the only author that I buy in hardback, but I must be getting old - normally that would be on release day, and I would finish it within 24 hours, but I didn’t feel quite the same urgency this time, and I’ve read other books in parallel with it. Don’t get me wrong, it’s still a rollicking good time, but it is very much the same formula as the four before it. Don’t even think about trying this if you haven’t read the rest of the series.

This one begins soon after the events of 4 Legendary K
Joanne
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
the four legendary kingdoms take 2
I like the fact that years have not passed by just days.

Shane Schofield reappearance —mmmm no need to write another scarecrow book, kill two birds with one stone and just put the two together save time save paper.
With his announcement a week out from release that he was going to do worse than his last scarecrow book, panic was ripe across the globe but I think many of us knew exactly where he was going.
Information overload, I had to back track a couple of t
Wayne
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Take all the stars Mr Reilly - take them all.

I had a copy of this and Thrawn Alliances in my hands to read and I chose this one. There is no other author that would be able to make me do that. One look at this and I had to read it first.

The world building is fantastic. For a book that is all go go go non stop action the level of detail is amazing. You are literally racing through the most amazing action sequences but also have to focus on the beautifully woven detail. Matthew Reilly is a master
Julie Garner
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action, arc
I have finally had some time to process my emotions after finishing this book. I can't believe I ended it with tears streaming down my face - that is not meant to happen with a Jack West Jnr novel. There are no tears in ancient warfare!!!
As always, well researched and planned out. I believe Reilly must have had the finish line planned when he started this series of books. In this fifth book we once again see a blending of characters with a very important support character making his drop in. We
Nikki
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was always going to enjoy this, but Matthew’s fast paced action still makes me smile.

This picks up right after Four Legendary Kingdoms so I did need to give myself a little reminder of how it ended 😂

I love the little ongoing relationship between Jack and Scarecrow 💙 tiny detail but so well done. And the (spoiler event!) is excellent as a result; I proper squealed.

I do feel that this series is getting even more outlandish and ridiculous but I love it. The eight, in particular, created an int
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
To be reviewed over at Fresh Fiction!
Shelley
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm not crying, you're crying. Holy shit what an ending. We have to wait until 2020 for the sequel? ::::Head desk::::
Paul
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I suspect each time Matthew Reilly sits down to write a new book he asks himself the same question. “How can I push the action quotient further than I did last time?” The good news, from our perspective at least, is that he keeps managing it. I can sum up each new Matthew Reilly novel in four simple words – Bigger, Better, Faster, More. When it comes to pure, unadulterated mayhem I don’t think there are many who deliver as consistently as Reilly does. The Jack West Jnr series has been excellent ...more
Kate
I love Matthew Reilly's thrillers and Jack West is a great hero. This sixth book in the West series is a fine thriller. Hugely exciting, taking place across much of the globe and with some big shocks. As usual, the book is packed full of diagrams and charts that really add to the mood. Excellent! Review to follow shortly on For Winter Nights.
Steve
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Five stars because the epilogue gripped me that hard, and I couldn't put it down. While I miss some of the tomb running that this series has abandoned to turn into something that reads more like a Michael Bay movie on steroids, I still find this series a guilty pleasure. And also, the use of planes in this book in particular is laughable, but I can certainly see the author has a fascination with Russian built aircraft. The action built up from the first page and didn't let up, and kept me guessi ...more
Reeda Booke
Holy moly...this book was something!! The thrills just keep on coming, but that ending...oh, that ending....I was crying, then I was like, "say what?!"
It royally sucks to have to wait for the next one!

Do not attempt to read this if you have not read the Jack West series, it will not have the same impact.
And dang, I also want to see another Scarecrow book!

5 stars for never-ending thrills and because I love this character!
K.
Trigger warnings: violence, graphic death, gun violence, torture, mentions of rape, death of a family member, explosions, probably other stuff too it's late and I'm tired I'm sorry.

3.5 stars.

I've been reading Matthew Reilly's books since Ice Station came out like 20 years ago, and while his books are REALLY easy to fly through in a couple of hours, part of me thinks that they're getting a little bit worse with every book he brings out. The Four Legendary Kingdoms was a fantastic idea - crossin
Brendan Morphett
The worst thing about reading a Matthew Reilly novel as soon as it releases is that you have to wait for 2 whole years before you get to read the next one. The book begins pretty much right where the previous novel left off and the thrill ride and emotional roller coaster doesn't stop until the final page. Another all time great novel by one of the best in the business
Michelle
Oct 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you to Gallery, Threshold, Pocket books and Netgalley for the opportunity to read this book for an honest review.

I give this book 3.5 stars. I chose this book because my husband read the fourth book in the series while I was in early labor with my first child. It was fun to listen to as my husband read it out loud to try and distract me - so I thought I would check it out.

The fifth book in the series begins where the last one left off. The action and events flow similarly to the prior boo
Sean Morton
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm glad I have this book in a nice big hardcover, so I can smack Matthew Reilly over the head with it when I meet him for scaring me like that.

Picking up where The Four Legendary Kingdoms left off, The Three Secret Cities takes us back to the globe-trotting adventure we all know and love from this series. This time Jack and gang must find three immortal weapons and empower them in the cities of Thule, Ra (El Dorado), and Atlas (Atlantis) before the world is destroyed. However, Jack is hunted by
Peter
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The one where Matthew Reilly became George R.R. Martin. Okay, maybe not that bad, but I definitely felt like he was ruthless to his characters in The Three Secret Cities. Some of those characters deaths were brutal, which I am okay with or at least that's what I am trying to tell myself as I write this. The stakes have rarely felt higher in a Matthew Reilly book, to the point where I wasn't sure who would make it out of this story alive.

As usual, Reilly has written The Three Secret Cities in th
Jo
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Three Secret Cities
by Matthew Reilly

MATTHEW REILLY IS BACK - DOING WHAT HE DOES BEST.

No one writes books like Matthew Reilly does,their a fast paced adventure stories with a high body count, wanton destruction, heart-pounding cliffhangers, and brilliant twists.

This book is the fifth book in the Jack West Jr series.

Each book in the Jack West Jr. series has had a fast paced adventure, and this is no exception. All the best elements of this series - elaborate mazes, trials and sinister villain
Kirra
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always, I am impressed. This was another incredible book in one of my favourite series' ever! The Three Secret Cities did not disappoint with a compelling story, great surprises and moments that actually left me breathless with shock in a way only Matthew Reilly's unique writing can obtain. The energetic writing perfectly illustrates in your mind the way Jack and his team travelled through the three secret cities in a race against the clock to save their loved ones and the world.

In the previo
The Awkward Corner
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Oh Matthew Reilly, how you continue to play with my feelings.
Just as high paced, slightly outlandish, adventure packed novel that picks up where Four Legendary Kingdoms left off, and will leave you wanting more - the story won't be quite wrapped up and you'll be waiting for Two Something Somethings, but this new dynamic of grown up Alby, Lily and Older, Married Jack West is fun! It sits well with the kids who grew up reading Matthew Reilly and are now young adults.

P.s. Seven Ancient Wonders con
Casey
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Always worth the wait

Just like every other Matthew Reilly book I can never get over just how much I get sucked in, needing to keep going in just the one sitting. This book didn't disappoint and with some emotional turmoil thrown in it made for a fantastic read. Always recommended.
Kat Lea
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yet another brilliant exciting can’t put it down so you read it in one night book from Mr Reilly! While you could maybe read it without having read any of the others you really do need to start from the beginning. Like the beginning beginning with Ice Station. Read all 5 Scarecroe books and then start the four Jack West Jnr books and then you can read this one. But read this one!
Jem Nash
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of Matthew Reilly's best to date! Ended up finishing in one sitting. Had some great twists and events that I truly did not see coming. Great read!
Anissa Papadakos
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jesus Christ that was beyond BRILLIANT - Beyond
Ellen
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very disturbing read. I actually took much more time to read it than usual for titles by this author.
Melanie Stevenson
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read! Matthew knows how to do fast paced action so well!
Karsyn
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Received from NetGalley.

I go on NG and what do I see? The next Jack West book, several months before release. I was SUPER excited and hopeful to get it, I couldn't believe if when I did!!

Obviously, if you haven't read the first 4 books in the series, you aren't going to want to read this one, or even it's review, so turn around and start from the beginning!

Assuming you are caught up to date, this one leaves off right were the last one ended, with (spoiler alert) Jack the winner of the games and
Matthew Reilly is a New York Times best-selling author of eight novels that have been published in eighteen languages in twenty countries. He has sold more than 3.5 million copies worldwide.

Jack West Jr (5 books)
  • Seven Deadly Wonders (Jack West Jr, #1)
  • The Six Sacred Stones (Jack West Jr, #2)
  • The 5 Greatest Warriors (Jack West Jr, #3)
  • The Four Legendary Kingdoms (Jack West Jr, #4)
“I don’t save the world for glory or power. I have neither and I don’t care for them. In fact, I quite like it that the world doesn’t know my name. I just do what I do for the people I love.” 3 likes
“location of the royal prison have existed for centuries:” 1 likes