Start by marking “My Squirrel Days” as Want to Read:
My Squirrel Days

My Squirrel Days

3.37  ·  Rating details ·  9,082 ratings  ·  1,234 reviews
Comedian and star of The Office and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Ellie Kemper delivers a hilarious, refreshing, and inspiring collection of essays “teeming with energy and full of laugh-out-loud moments” (Associated Press).

“A pleasure. Ellie Kemper is the kind of stable, intelligent, funny, healthy woman that usually only exists in yogurt commercials. But she’s real and s
Published October 9th 2018 by Scribner

To ask other readers questions about My Squirrel Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Squirrel Days

·  9,082 ratings  ·  1,234 reviews

Start your review of My Squirrel Days
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Look, I really, really like Ellie Kemper as an actress and a person. I relate to her a lot as I have a similar upbeat, somewhat spastic personality and a tendency to pee when I laugh too much (TMI??). However, and there is no nice way to say this, sometimes you can be a funny, interesting person but not in a fill a book kind of way.

My husband asked me why I wasn't in love with this book and I asked him, Would you want to read a book based on my life? He said no. Super quickly, I might add.

Elli
Raeleen Lemay
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction, 2019
This was... fine. I laughed like two times, but the majority of the book read like Kimmy Schmidt took over Ellie Kemper’s body and wrote it. Maybe that’s just how she talks/writes, but it came across as very forced to me. Still a vaguely enjoyable read, but not exactly what I was expecting. When I read a celebrity biography, I expect funny stories about their life and also for them to talk about the shows/movies I know them from. In this book, there were a tiny chapter each for The Office, Kimmy ...more
Krista Regester
Dec 12, 2018 rated it liked it
You guysssss.

These celebs keep trying to convince us that they have important stories to tell, but I just don’t know if they do! There are laughable moments in this but overall I spent a lot of valuable time reading about a brunch order that was missing it’s lentils. SPOILER ALERT: The lentils were just small y’all.
Heidi The Reader
Sep 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoirs, non-fiction
Ellie Kemper, the hilarious actress from the Netflix show "The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt," shares a few essays highlighting moments from her life. I laughed out loud a few times, both in amusement and embarrassment for Kemper. She's not afraid to make fun of herself.

The best part of the memoir is, as I read it, I could hear each word being read in Kemper's distinctive voice. She definitely has a style of expressing herself that stays true for the whole book.

"As a reasonably talented person who i
Scott
Nov 26, 2018 rated it liked it
I've enjoyed Kemper's solid work in her comedic supporting roles on NBC's The Office and on the big screen in Bridesmaids and The Secret Life of Pets. Although it seems a little early in her career to pen a memoir - to be fair, she's not alone in this recent and burgeoning cottage industry for under-40 performers - I gave it a look since my community's library had it on their new release shelf.

Well, it turns out that she can write pretty well, too. Kemper keeps the tone self-deprecating and down
StMargarets
Ellie Kemper is a nice Catholic girl from the mid-west. I can say this because I'm a nice Catholic girl from the mid-west and I recognize my own.

Being a nice Catholic girl from the mid-west, being born into a very wealthy St. Louis family, going to Princeton, and then having your wealthy family support you while you wait to break into show business doesn't make for a very interesting memoir, however.

From the author's telling and from what I've read in her Wikipedia entry her first 36 years have
Robin Bonne
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ellie Kemper writes about her life and acting/comedy career. The parts I enjoyed the most were the ones about her awkward encounters with other people. These felt the most relatable and a few of them made me laugh aloud.

While there were plenty of jokes, there were times I wished Ellie had used her platform to dig deeper into emotional content. The stories from her life that she recounted seemed a little shallow at times, and very safe.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a free copy of th
Ellie
I JUST GOT APPROVED ON NETGALLEY BRB SCREAMING :D
Krista
Aug 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, nonfiction, memoir, arc
There comes a time in every sitcom actress's life when she is faced with the prospect of writing a book. When my number was up, I told myself that I would not blink. I would fulfill my duty as an upbeat actress under contract on a television series and serve my country in the only way I knew how. I would cull from my life the very greatest and most memorable of anecdotes, I would draw on formative lessons learned both early on and also not too long ago, I would paint for the reader a portrait of
Colleen C
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
While I'm a self-professed lover of celebrity memoirs, I wasn't in love with Ellie Kemper's My Squirrel Days. Although there were a couple of entertaining essays, many of the topics were mundane and sometimes boring (e.g. complaining to waiters about a lentil and quinoa salad; joking about telling grandchildren about taking 500 SoulCycle classes). While I think any topic can be interesting in the hands of the good writer, I just didn't care much for style of writing in this collection. I also wi ...more
Miranda Reads
Feb 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
description

Another month, another tierlist! While you probably know where this one ranks, check out the BookTube Video to see the rest!
The Written Review:
description

Plans, schedules, and structure make me feel secure in a world that - let's just say it - is going straight to hell.
Ellie Kemper - aka Erin Hannon on the Office and Kimmy from Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - is best known for her amazing comedic timing and quirky characters.

She's written a memoir of her Squirrel Days - aka that time when you
Orsolya
Dec 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Nowadays, the Hollywood consensus seems to be that if you are an actor/actress with even a nominal amount of success; then writing a memoir is the expected next rung on fame ladder. Ellie Kemper, the bubbly but fiery redhead known for her Netflix sitcom “The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt”, her role as Erin on “The Office”, and as Becca in the comedy film, “Bridesmaids”; joins this list populated with her Hollywood peers-turned-authors and opens the window to her life in, “My Squirrel Days”.

Kemper’s
Lindsay
I like Ellie Kemper. She seems like a nice, fun person. But as far as her storytelling goes, I feel like not enough of the things she's experience in life are all that interesting. That sounds mean, I'm sorry. For me, I don't find improv that interesting, and she did a lot of that before becoming an actress. I didn't know that about her. I also thought her story about the times she's been to Europe & Japan a little dry. There were definitely some funny parts throughout the book and I want to che ...more
Ray
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfic, audio
Ellie Kemper is a delight, and her fun comedic energy is a joy to be around (especially when listening to her narrate the audiobook)... but no offense I wouldn't quite put My Squirrel Days in the high ranks of comedy writing memoirs.

The book jumps around to silly stories about her childhood--like the squirrel story hence the title--family, acting, college years, early imrov work, etc. Eventually, she gets to marriage and motherhood. It's all quite charming, all hilarious and with a lot of heart
Moonkiszt
May 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
My Squirrel Days. . .

This was a quick choice at the library. . .the author is charming and sweet and all the darling things other reviewers have noted. However, I would love to read the book she writes in about 50 years. There are too many living people mentioned in this book for a real-io, true-lio unfolding of events and context. AND that said, maybe it is exactly as described, a cupcake of a life. As such it doesn’t have much relevance to mine. I’ve got lessons to learn and stupidities to re
Brandon Forsyth
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Like a Norman Rockwell housewife secretly plotting to murder her perfect family (WITH COMEDY), Ellie Kemper deliciously sets up and then undercuts her shucks-golly Midwestern persona in this charming collection of essays, loosely structured around the idea of the different "roles" she's played in her life. I found them totally charming and often laugh-out-loud funny. That's right Internet, I spelled out lol. DEAL WITH IT.
Chelsea
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-star
DNF @ 48% - Ellie Kemper seems like a lovely person, but this memoir is just so, so average.
Kristyn Kricket
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky to have gotten an excerpt a few weeks ago and I devoured it greedily, wishing I had more of it to read. Today, my wish was granted as I received an advance reading copy of the entire book from Edelweiss. I raced through My Squirrel Days giggling like a loon and plotting out ways I could be best friends with Ellie. If you're a fan of the essays by Tina Fey, Mindy Kailing and Amy Poehler, you will LOVE this book.
Kristen
Nov 11, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is very on brand for the author. She put s forth stories that reinforce her public persona but does not disclose any information that is personal or meaningful.
Girl Well Read
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed, edelweiss
A special thank you to Edelweiss and Simon & Schuster for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Ellie Kemper is a comedian and star of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and appeared on the US The Office series. Her other written work includes writing for GQ, Esquire, The New York Times, McSweeney’s, and The Onion. In this collection of essays, Kemper delivers some funny bits about her journey from the suburbs to Hollywood, and becoming a full-fledged New Yorker.

My Squirrel Days is a heartfelt compila
Olivia Cloer
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
As much as I love Ellie Kemper’s performance in the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, I didn’t like this book. Ellie Kemper is so boring and normal that she really doesn’t have any good stories to tell prior to her time on the office. For fans of the office, you’ll be wildly disappointed as she barely mentions it. Instead, sleep your way through stories about her boring, upper middle class childhood and her completely normal baby. If your boring friend from high school who only posts throwback Thursday ...more
Mehrsa
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
I love her on TV, but I could not take her character in a book. It felt false and grating.
Michelle
This book could not have been published at a better time in my life!!! Thank you SO much to Netgalley, Scribner and Simon & Schuster for approving me to read this e-arc!!! I highly recommend this quirky little memoir to anyone and everyone !! It just came out in October 2018, so what are you waiting for?

First and foremost can I just shout from the rooftops that “ I love youuuuu Erin!!!!” Whoops, I mean Ellie...but I’m sure that she gets that a lot, right? I find it quite amusing that for the pa
Cynthia
Dec 06, 2018 rated it liked it
There wasn’t much to this book. I found myself thinking about other things while listening. It didn’t make me laugh...just amused me at times. I borrowed the audiobook from the library thankfully. I think this book would have been better later in her career after she had done more.
Kate Vocke (bookapotamus)
I'm pretty sure I am not alone in my feelings that I feel like Ellie Kemper is my friend. I mean, she just might be the most fun, and happiest celebrity on the planet - free from scandal, always smiling, and just about as sugary sweet as one can be right? I was SO excited to read her book, and as much as she tries throughout to convince us that she's not all sugar and everything nice - but a bit more spice than most people realize ... well, I don't believe you Ellie!! Haha! Not one bit. Even if ...more
Sim ✨(wholesimreads)
✔️ true crime (...that a wholesim being such as Ellie exists 😭)
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 5 stars

This was so enjoyable to listen to! Not sure if I intentionally listened to this after Tina Fey’s (something I’d do though) but they compliment each other so well. Laughed out loud and she really is such a lovable dork. Ellie is so humble and sweet too! And obviously love Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt 🙏🏼

+10 points to Gryffindor for the Hamilton reference
April Overly
Feb 28, 2019 rated it liked it
I did laugh and enjoy the stories, but rather than recommend this, I will recommend "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt" and "Bossypants." Ellie Kemper and comedian memoirs are great, but each is brought to its zenith through Tina Fey's writing.
Erin
Jul 11, 2019 rated it liked it
I've been a fan of Kemper's since her "Office" days, but I was a little torn about this book. It's hard to classify - not really enough grit or substance for a memoir, but maybe could be viewed as more of a collection of humor essays. The chapters jump around from Kemper's school days to her improv start in comedy to her performances in "Bridesmaids" and "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt." I liked getting a look at different areas of her life, but it felt way too scrambled to keep jumping back and fort ...more
Ashley (pawingthroughpages)
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019-tbr
Yikes, this memoir was not what I expected. It portrayed very awkward and cringeworthy at her trying to be funny...
Amanda Del Brocco
I definitely laughed a bunch during this but some of the stories fell flat.
Play Book Tag: My Squirrel Days, by Ellie Kemper- 2 Stars 1 11 Dec 24, 2019 02:00PM

• The Greatest Love Story Ever Told
  • This Will Only Hurt a Little
  • So Close to Being the Sh*t, Y’all Don’t Even Know
  • Whiskey in a Teacup: What Growing Up in the South Taught Me About Life, Love, & Baking Biscuits
  • The Actor's Life: A Survival Guide
  • I Might Regret This: Essays, Drawings, Vulnerabilities, and Other Stuff
  • Everything's Trash, But It's Okay
  • Life Will Be the Death of Me: . . . and You Too!
  • Girl Walks into a Bar . . .: Comedy Calamities, Dating Disasters, and a Midlife Miracle
  • Over the Top: A Raw Journey to Self-Love
  • Naturally Tan
  • Little Weirds
  • The Bassoon King: My Life in Art, Faith, and Idiocy
  • Open Book
  • Stay Sexy & Don’t Get Murdered: The Definitive How-To Guide
  • In Pieces
  • American Like Me: Reflections on Life Between Cultures
Elizabeth Claire Kemper is an American actress and comedian. She played the receptionist Erin Hannon in the NBC comedy series The Office (2009–2013) and later the starring role in the Netflix comedy series Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt), for which she has received two nominations for the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series. Kemper also appeared in the films Bridesmaids ...more

News & Interviews

“My favorite feature is my red hair. Why wouldn't it be? It sets me apart from other people who don't have red hair, and it instantly bonds me with people who do. Experts often say that redheads are an endangered species - but experts say a lot of things. My own hasty scans of sidewalks and shopping malls show plenty of us out and about. Maybe the experts are just saying that because they are jealous of all the redheads - and the only revenge they know is to claim that we will all die.” 5 likes
“You’ve got a lame hand.' This was the clinical term for my condition. 'I’m not really sure why,' the doctor concluded. I looked at this man and I realized that I, too, could have been a doctor.” 1 likes