Start by marking “Super Max and the Mystery of Thornwood's Revenge” as Want to Read:
Super Max and the Mystery of Thornwood's Revenge

Super Max and the Mystery of Thornwood's Revenge

“An excellent addition to middle grade shelves, with a differently-abled main character that readers will root for.” —School Library Journal

“Vaught makes Max the brash, bold star of the book, exchanging stereotypes and sympathy cards for a well-drawn character whose disability is part of who she is but not her complete identity; hopefully Max will roll ahead as the advanc
Published August 28th 2018 by Simon Schuster/Paula Wiseman Books (first published August 29th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Super Max and the Mystery of Thornwood's Revenge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Super Max and the Mystery of Thornwood's Revenge

Start your review of Super Max and the Mystery of Thornwood's Revenge
Ms. Yingling
E ARC from Edelweiss Above the Treeline

Max lives with her grandfather, Toppy, who is the chief of police. She loves figuring out how things work and how to make them work better, He allows her to tinker with her wheelchair, since he considers it as much a part of her body as her legs. However, if she tinkers with other things around the house and sets things on fire, she is punished by having to watch and review sappy movies! From her window, Max can see the creepy Thornwood mansion, which has b
Eva
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
EXCELLENT. the mystery was very good and engaging and Max was a realistic and delightful character to follow along with. I really enjoyed the matter of fact takes on life and her work at managing herself and her anger in a healthy way.
Lydia
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will update this later
Melanie Dulaney
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, mystery
Susan Vaught does a masterful job of weaving a mystery with threads of drama, technology, and a bit of scary included. Max lives with her beloved grandfather Toppy and has battles feelings of anger and abandonment as a result of a car accident that left her wheelchair bound and a mother who who handle the situation. But she has a great support system not only in Toppy, but her best friend Lavender, Lavender's mom and Mayor Chandler. It will take all that and more for Max and company to solve the ...more
Rosemary
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ax is a 12 year-old girl living with her grandfather, Toppy, who also happens to be the chief of police in their town of Blue Creek. Her mother, an artist, lives in California, which is just fine with Max - ever since she and her mother were in the car accident that left Max wheelchair-bound at 4 years old, her mother has had trouble fitting Max into her life. She and Toppy lead a pretty happy life together; that is, if she'd stop getting in trouble for tinkering with her wheelchair to give it m ...more
Miriam Hardy-Koverman
Girl- and wheelchair-positive without dogging boys or being preachy.

There’s the plot: interesting and action-packed.
The characterization: thorough enough to fuel the story and stay plausible; not boringly so. Kids will love the Marvel and DC references; it may fuel interest in lesser-known characters.
The big star is the girl-power and disability-positive message that is both realistic and inspiring without being sappy, preachy, or condescending. So many disABLE-positive characters are the cen
Matt Pavloff
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super Max has nothing to do with prison! Be warned!

Not that that's a problem; it's probably a bonus, to be honest! Super Max tells the story of a superhero obsessed, tech genius, wheelchair-bound pre-teen girl (Max, if you needed telling) and the mysterious circumstances surrounding her town wherein an urban legend becomes reality. When a hacker blackmails and threatens her grandfather and the mayor of the town, Max and her best friend team up to tackle the problems on their own, with and/or wit
Sophie T
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Super Max and the Mystery of Thornwood's Revenge is what I would call your typical whodunit. I'm actually proud of myself for being able to figure out the hacker was about half way into the book. I really enjoyed Max's character, and the portrayal of her disability is something you don't see in a lot of books. Unfortunately, the other characters don't seem to have as much depth to them, and that, along with the fact that it was a bit slow in the middle is why I'm giving it four stars.

It certain
Yapha
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, mystery
Max (short for Maxine, but don't call her that) lives with her grandfather in a small town in Tennessee that is famous for its haunted mansion and the promise of "Thornwood's Revenge." A fake Facebook account is set up in her grandfather's name it is only the tip of the iceberg. Suddenly, more fake accounts, internet hackers, and threats of all kinds ravage the small town and focus on Max and her family. Slowed down only by the battery power of her electric wheelchair (which she has happily tric ...more
Rachel Rooney
A 2019-2020 Missouri Truman Readers Award preliminary nominee (grades 6-8).

Max lives in a small town in Tennessee with her grandfather Toppy, who is the police chief. The town's greatest claim to fame is Thornwood, a crumbling mansion, and its owner's curse on the town's residents. When a hacker impersonates Toppy and sets the town on edge, wheelchair-bound Max tries to do some investigating of her own with the help of her best friend.

This was okay. I don't have strong feelings either way.
Andrea
This was fun to read with my son. Max is a wonderful character. I loved her and her flaws. She is trying to figure out how to tame her temper, become more independent while using a wheelchair, protect her grandfather, and solve this mystery. I love this setting and these other characters. The solution to the mystery and chasing down the bad guy was fun. My only complaint is that some of the kids are a little too old to be so friendly and sometimes even flirty. That is really minor though.
Overal
Naomi Campbell
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-books
Yay, what a super girl Max is! I loved the mystery and dry humor of this book, and even the internet/social media/technology aspect of it as well, and I'm NOT a device kind of person. I loved entering Max's brain and her world and navigating through it with her and discovering and learning right alongside her. My daughter will love reading this one. I read it because she's supposed to read it for one of her reading challenges for school. I have only read one other book by this author, but I like ...more
Barbie
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First book I have read by the author but it won't be my last. Loved this book. Sure, kids solving mysteries isn't very real life, but every other aspect of this book rings true. I loved the main character, but she isn't completely likeable. Often kids with disabilities are just a token, but Max being in a wheelchair and how she got there is central to understanding her character. The plot was interesting and characters well developed but not cliche or stereotype. For Grades 4 and up.
Carol Collett
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
Super Max can’t use her legs anymore. But that doesn’t stop her. Not even close. When her grandfather, her town, and her own life are threatened, she goes into turbo drive to save the day.
This story moves into my top ten favorite reads of the year. It may move higher as I digest this story. What a great story about a girl who would be labeled as disabled in our society, but there is nothing disabled about Max.
Maywoodbooks
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun mystery- adventure. But what I think really sets it apart is the protagonist: a feisty, authentic teenage girl who has lost the use of her legs when she was a baby. FINALLY a character who is confined to a wheelchair and NOT an evil villain or helpless. This is a great book to add to a library collection to give all possible young children a chance to find a relateable voice.
Amber
Oct 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Max has bad angry problems which got old after awhile. I love that this book focuses on a character in a wheelchair. The wheelchair is apart of who Max is and Susan did an amazing job at writing it. I was expecting a creepy ghost story. This was not at all what I was expecting. Overall it was enjoyable even if some parts were boring.
Gina Schaarschmidt
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
A perfect middle grade traditionally structured mystery, with a protagonist who uses a wheelchair. Give this one to kids who like Nancy Drew, Ruby Redford and the 14-Day mysteries. I’m so glad to have a new whodunit to recommend. Can’t wait for more in the series.
Jane Night
I liked the character of Max as well as the disability rep.
I thought the setting was spooky and fun.
However, I wasn't hugely into the mystery. Also, I thought this would have been a good first in series but as a stand alone it didn't quite feel complete character arc wise.
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
It’s going to take more than a knack for electronics and a supercharged wheelchair for twelve-year-old Max to investigate a haunted mansion and stop a hacker attack against her beloved grandfather.
Tina
Jun 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-summer
Great mystery!! Main character is in a wheelchair and it adds an unique element to the storyline.
Brenna
Nov 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the characters, but it was a little slow at times.
Lexi
Sep 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a good story, but predictable
Holli
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
☁️ bookishdreamss ☁️
it was okay; i liked the portrayal of a disabled character but the writing style felt a bit childish to me. i dunno. still, it was a really good book!
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The ending was a little rushed, so a loss of points. Beyond that, Max's wheelchair is such an important part of her life and a character in the book on its own. That's a very refreshing thing and a great addition to our diversity collections! Can't wait for the next episode.
Tom
Jul 02, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Joplin, Wishing
  • Spirit Hunters
  • The Doughnut Fix (The Doughnut Fix #1)
  • The Mystery of Black Hollow Lane (Black Hollow Lane, #1)
  • The Van Gogh Deception
  • Finding Langston
  • The One and Only Bob
  • Chester and Gus
  • Caterpillar Summer
  • Confessions from the Principal's Kid
  • Greetings from Witness Protection!
  • The Unteachables

favorite book: Harry Potter (all of them) and His Dark Materials
(all of those, too)

favorite song:I Will Follow You Into The Dark by Death Cab for Cutie

current pet total:12 if you don't count the chickens, peafowl,
turkeys, ducks, geese, pigeons, or guineas.

names of my schools:
Vanderbilt University (MS, Ph.D.)
University of Mississippi (Ole Miss) (B