Start by marking “Lu (Track, #4)” as Want to Read:
Lu (Track, #4)

Lu

(Track #4)

Lu must learn to leave his ego on the sidelines if he wants to finally connect with others in the climax to the New York Times bestselling and award-winning Track series from Jason Reynolds.

Lu was born to be cocaptain of the Defenders. Well, actually, he was born albino, but that’s got nothing to do with being a track star. Lu has swagger, plus the talent to back it up, a
Published October 23rd 2018 by Atheneum/Caitlyn Dlouhy Books

To ask other readers questions about Lu, please sign up.
Frances Sayer Yeah, it's fine. If they don't do track & field they might need an explanation of some things, though. Some parts also might be a bit mature. But…moreYeah, it's fine. If they don't do track & field they might need an explanation of some things, though. Some parts also might be a bit mature. But read the first three books before this one!!!(less)

Start your review of Lu (Track, #4)
Hannah Greendale
Reasons to adore Jason Reynolds' books:

- Authentic narrative voices.

- Well-drawn child protagonists with equally well-drawn parents, each with their own rich backstory.

- Characters who respect their parents (especially mom) and are kind & caring towards younger siblings.

- An approachable introduction to difficult issues: illness, injustice, bullying, etc.

- Seamlessly delivered messages on life's really difficult issues: gun violence, drug addiction,
Abby Johnson
What a great end to what a great series! Lu navigates some tough stuff on and off the track as he prepares to go to the team's last meet and run the hurdles. His mom is pregnant with a new baby sister on the way and Lu discovers that his dad took Coach's Olympic gold medal from Coach's dad back in his drug dealing days. As Lu helps his mom with her business, confronts his dad about the past, and faces the hurdles again and again, he learns about the meaning of integrity and begins to realize how ...more
Krista Regester
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Knowing the Track series is officially over has given me a mixture of satisfaction and sadness. I just love these kids! I feel like I’ve watched them grow and learn and figure out where they belong in their crazy world. Ghost, Patina, Sunny, and Lu are genuine and bring so much of their personalities onto the page. I knew this story would be a challenge: to wrap up four books with a speech from Coach that is a resolution encompassing all of the guidance and direction he wants to give to his team ...more
Dee Dee G
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. Disappointed that it’s the last one.
Skip
May 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
The last book in Reynolds "Track" tetralogy, Lu focuses on the albino co-captain of the Defenders. Lu(cas) is struggling to become a hurdler, finding the obstacles tough to overcome. The reason is that his near eyesight is very poor, and any dirt messes up his contacts. Coach eventually figures out the problem and they come up with a stride solution. Meanwhile, Lu deals with some family issues, including his mother's pregnancy and his father's nefarious past. I think what I don't like about this ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Oh, Jason Reynolds, you can tell a story! Not only do you write a story that is a-can't-put-it-down-read-to-the-end story, but it's a story that shares Important Things About Life without (miraculously) shoving the story or the morals down your throat.

Almost nobody else in the world, not even our very, very best writers, can do this.

Lu is the story of an albino boy in a hard-working black family who is trying to do hurdles and keeps messing up. His dad has had problems in
Laura (bbliophile)
I'm so sad that this series is over, but this book also brought me a lot of joy, which I'm super grateful for. Jason Reynolds is one amazing author.
Jillian Heise
I think this might be my favorite of the series. I've loved getting to join this team for all 4 laps. I can't wait to see what Jason has for us next!
Caroline
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was an awesome end to the series. If there is a next book to the track series I would be fine with that but I LOVED this book I couldn't put it down. I would recommend this book and series to EVERYONE.
Alicia
The tragedy is that this is the final book in the Track series. But all good things must come to an end and with covers as awesomely vivid, sparse, and beautiful as these ones are plus characters that are well drawn in such a short amount of time with so much voice and feeling and empathy-- no one wants to see this series end. Ever.

Reynolds can write these in his sleep which is why he's the GOAT. Seriously.

Lu is about a kid whose mother makes art from fruit, a dad who works a lot to make up fo
steph
What a fantastic final novel to an already fantastic series. Seriously. I have gone on and on about how I much I love this series in previous reviews so all I will say for this review is read it. You won't regret it. Jason Reynolds writes kids and families and life so well.
Megan (ReadingRover)
Great conclusion? edition? to the Track series. I hope it’s not over! It’s such a great series for middle grade kids. The characters are so relatable and it deals with real life issues. Also, Guy Lockhart does an amazing job narrating.
Mary Thomas
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great ending to a great series. Jason Reynolds can really write- characters, dialogue, his books are such great mentor texts for everyone. I love how they work together & on their own. A must for classrooms/humans ages 9 and up.
Katie Reilley
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing ending to this fantastic series! Loved hearing Lu’s story and how Reynolds wrapped up storylines from the previous three books. I’m going to miss these athletes and friends.
Tj Shay
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There has not been a Jason Reynolds book that I haven't loved. This book is no exception. The track series is a wonderful collection of books and I think Lu is the best one yet. Full of heart and so good.

Review based on an uncorrected proof provided by Jason's agent....because they are awesome!
Suzanne Dix
My favorite of the quartet! Such a great story on its own but I love how this novel in particular brought back all the threads of the previous three stories and tied them up with a bow.

Absolutely fantastic writing per usual Mr. Reynolds!
Beth
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
After the highs of the first two books and the low of the third in the series, this final novel just feels - flat. Not especially distinctive, similarly told, and almost overly long for the slight plot. Even a little gimmicky, what with the contact lenses and ribbon. It’s got its moments, sure, but mostly I feel like Lu’s story is more poignant and memorable in the little bits and pieces we’d gotten in earlier books.
Katrina
Argh! OK, two totally different categories of comments. First, as a book, it was fine. I always like his writing, the story wasn’t wow, but it was in line with the rest of the series and did a pretty good job wrapping things up (although the very end was kind of sappy). I still wish the series overall had been more of an on-going story with more ongoing plot threads with the other kids in all of the sequels. There was more in this book than the others, but still not a ton. If you want to write c ...more
Terynce
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Toss up between this and Ghost being the best of the series. This book, and most of the series in general, does a very good job of interweaving real life scenarios with track. For us the track is a backdrop, but for the characters it's a driving motivation.

At least, the people that are there.

By the time you've arrived at Book 4 of a series, the need for background info is slim. Toward the end, showing up at the basketball count and reading the letters -- the story packs a lot into a small spac
Tena Edlin
This was a great ending to the series. It brought everyone's story together with the same heart and spirit of the other books. I definitely recommend reading this series as a set and in order because they all build on each other. I feel like I know these kids, and their stories could be framed with any sport or activity... theirs just happens to be track. Great life lessons about friendship, teamwork, growth mindset, and integrity.
Jennifer Mangler
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grades
That last chapter...what a beautiful way to end the series! I'm going to miss Ghost, Patty, Sunny, Lu, and Coach so much. I adore each of the Defenders, and I love the family they've built. I cannot recommend the Track series enough.
Marie-Ève
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm probably giving this 5 stars because feelings, but it is more like a 4 or 4.5 stars!
I really got attached to the characters, I feel like Jason Reynolds cannot write a bad character. All four of them felt so real and I love the team! I'm going to miss reading about them!
Ashlee Tominey
By far my favorite book in the series. I didn't really expect a lot out of Lu since we don't see much of him in the other books. I loved Lu's parents. I loved the ending. I loved that Lu found his voice.

The narration was superb.

I am really sad to end the Track series.
xXPARKERXx
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a really great way to bring the series to a close, it was very hard to read at times, but in the end, all good.
but at the end of the day, its really sad to see this series go, and I'm really looking forward to the next series he writes.
Ashleigh Rose
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m so sad his was my last lap with the Track series but loved the power of this book and how it all came full circle. Can’t wait to see what Jason Reynolds has coming up next!
Heidi Burkhart
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a terrific series. It was hard to finish this book - the last of the series. So many good values are woven into this final installment.
Michelle Stimpson
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ah, Lu. He was my least favorite Defender, but he won me over. It's bittersweet to have finished the Track Series. I will read everything Jason Reynolds ever writes. Including his grocery list. Or his to-do list! I want to read Jason Reynolds's to-do list!
Jeimy
I did not think I was going to enjoy this one, but Reynolds managed to pull it off once again.
Sarah Johnson
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this series.
Christine Fitzgerald
Loved this series, love Jason Reynolds writing and his message to the world!

• The Parker Inheritance
  • Nate Expectations (Better Nate Than Ever, #3)
  • Harbor Me
  • Front Desk
  • Knockout (House Arrest, #2)
  • The Season of Styx Malone
  • The First Rule of Punk
  • Take Me Out to the Yakyu
  • The Journey of Little Charlie
  • All's Faire in Middle School
  • Growing Up Pedro: How the Martínez Brothers Made It from the Dominican Republic All the Way to the Major Leagues
After earning a BA in English from The University of Maryland, College Park, he moved to Brooklyn, New York, where you can often find him walking the four blocks from the train to his apartment talking to himself. Well, not really talking to himself, but just repeating character names and plot lines he thought of on the train, over and over again, because he’s afraid he’ll forget it all before he ...more

Track (4 books)
  • Ghost (Track, #1)
  • Patina (Track, #2)
  • Sunny (Track, #3)
“Bullies should be snitched on, especially if you don’t feel like you can back them down.” 1 likes