Start by marking “Even Better Than Eden: Nine Ways the Bible's Story Changes Everything about Your Story” as Want to Read:

Most people--Christians and non-Christians alike--are familiar with the garden of Eden, the perfect paradise that God created for the first man and woman. However, many don't realize the Bible teaches that God is preparing an even better world for his people in the future new creation. In this book, experienced Bible teacher Nancy Guthrie traces 9 themes--the tree of life, ...more
Published August 31st 2018 by Crossway Books (first published August 2018)

Start your review of Even Better Than Eden: Nine Ways the Bible's Story Changes Everything about Your Story
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
For the first ten years of my life, I took electricity for granted. I flipped on light switches and turned the dial to change channels on my TV without thinking twice about how easy and available it was. It wasnt until fourth grade that I received a basic education in how electricity worked. We were all assigned to bring in a battery, aluminum foil, and a small light bulb along with our pencils, folders, and notebooks that year. We discovered how electricity worked when we got to create a ...more
Michele Morin
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We are a story-telling family, composing on-the-spot homespun tales, filling up the long minutes of road trips with audio books, laughing together over replays from crazy conversations, and delighting in glory-moments together after the fact. As our family continually rotates in wider orbits, stories have become the fibers that connect us, that keep us known to one other.

Im grateful that all our story threads are woven into the fabric of the huge over-arching narrative found in the pages of
Mandy Keel
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent book. It has caused me to look forward to the city that will be even better than Eden, more than I ever have before.
Katy Sammons
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you want to know and love God more, read this book. If you want to increase your understanding and enjoyment of Bible reading, read this book. If you want to feel significant and dearly loved as a believer, read this book. The audiobook narrated by the author is excellent.
Jacqueline (We Be Book'N)
I read this book for a Women's Bible Study in my church, and enjoyed parts of it. This study was so heavily based on the historical part of the Bible, instead of actually giving me a message I could use in my daily study. I know this would be a good study for certain people, but for me, it wasn't something I found life changing.
Deon
Personal Bible Study Questions & Leaders Guide downloads are available from Nancy's web site to purchase.
Ashley
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wrote TWO reviews that didn't save😡

Long story short: This book greatly encouraged and ministered to my soul. I loved it!

I'd love to read it again with a group so we can discuss the questions at the end of each chapter.
Amyanne Murray
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book has left me in awe for Gods ability to weave a continuous story throughout His Word. It does not speak on new ways to live my life better but it points back to what has already spoken and what continues to ring true. God is an artist! A poet! An author! This has been blowing my mind lately. I will go back to this one. ...more
Darryl Eyb
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Have you ever felt an emptiness in life? Its OK, Nancy Guthrie can relate. In her book, Even Better Than Eden she writes:

Sometimes your sense of emptiness haunts you as a nagging ache. At other times it overwhelms you as a restless agony. Perhaps you have come to see your emptiness as your biggest problem. I have to tell you: thats not how God sees it. God sees the emptiness in your life as his greatest opportunity, because God does his best work with empty as he fills it with himself.

Thats
Amy Kannel
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had the privilege of reading a pre-publication manuscript of this book, and I cannot say enough good things about it. Ever since I started reading it, I've raved about it to anyone who will listen! I believe this is an important and needed book for the church. So many people lack understanding of the big picture--they don't grasp that the Bible is one big story that fits together from Genesis to Revelation. And so many people focus all their attention on Jesus' life, death, and resurrection, ...more
Chris MacLeavy
I have a particular love for Biblical Theology. So when I heard of a book that traces not one, but nine wonderful themes through the pages of Scripture, I couldn't get hold of it fast enough. I love the way that Guthrie traces from Eden to eternity so many wonderful, rich ways in which Scripture progressively reveals the ongoing activity of God the Redeemer through history. I also love how Guthrie demonstrates how these stories powerfully shape our own stories, simultaneously offering ...more
Amanda Anger
I actually didn't expect to enjoy this book as greatly as I did. Several chapters moved me to tears, and made poignant connections between some of my deepest longings and how God already has a plan to fulfill them.

One of my favorite things about this book was her very frequent use of scripture and skilful interpretation of the Word.

I didn't agree with several of her eschatological presumptions, but I wouldn't let that keep you from reading this book.
Natalie Herr
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a blessing this book is! Nancy follows nine biblical themes (wilderness, tree, image, clothing, bridegroom, sabbath, offspring, dwelling place, city) from Eden to eternity. She skillfully shows that we arent meant long for a return to Eden- we are meant to long for a better Eden, a fuller Eden, a more perfect Eden. This book is full of hope. If you want to get a better hold on the bigger story of the Bible- this is a great resource! ...more
Emily Schultz
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a lovely narrative-theological work. It is meant to encourage the reader to continue to look to Christ and our future hope- enjoying Him forever. Full review here:

Dana Schnitzel
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read this as part of a book study with church, but zoomed through a bit faster in my own as part of my personal plan to survive sheltering in place. What an important book! Nancy Guthrie traces themes through the Bible, most often starting in Eden, all to point us unwaveringly towards the joy that awaits us in the Garden City that will be even better than Eden. What an encouraging read, particularly when the fallenness of the world is so shoved in our faces! Highly recommend. I think I told my ...more
Jessie Moon
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is rich with scripture and biblical truth to help you better understand the Word. I felt like it would work best as an aid as you are reading through the Bible, as it is very heavy to read by itself. I would also recommend reading with a friend or group and answering the discussion questions in the back to fully grasp what you are reading. I will need to read it again with all of this in mind.
Kimberly
This book was rich with truth, showing the awe-inspiring themes we can trace from Eden to the new heavens and new earth. It made me realize how little theological understanding I had of the Garden of Eden. It certainly gave me a lot to think about! It also is a very faith building book to read - how can it not be when it shows the beauty of the themes so clearly seen in the Bible.
Wren
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nancy's writing it brilliant and beautiful. Nothing cliche about it! Eye opening, it points to the story of Jesus throughout all of scripture and how our New Jerusalem will be even better than Eden because of what He has done. Encouraging, uplifting, thought provoking! Great read.
Cindy
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book!!! Ive been reading it and just listened to audio-read by the author Nancy Guthrie. I highly recommend! ...more
Olivia Wolfertz
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-living
This was a great, smooth-flowing and inspiring read. It was gospel-saturated and made a lot of great theological and typological references practical and relatable. Highly recommend!
Jillian Vincent
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love Nancy. I will definitely be referencing this book often in future bible studies and would love to work through this book with a group.
Rachel
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
I received a copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This book is theologically solid and full of great quotes. Some chapters were really good, some were kind of meh. This book has discussion questions in the back, so I think I would have enjoyed it more as a group study instead of reading it by myself.
Erin Straza
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
If you need a glorious big picture view of Gods storyand I dare say thats all of usthis is your next read. Nancy has beautifully summarized the major plot points of Scripture, pulling threads throughout the pages to tie together themes that I had never matched up before. Reading Nancys summations of these beloved and familiar accounts is like standing at the top of a mountain range and seeing how the landscape rolls out before you. Its grand and beautiful, and each crest fills an important and ...more
Becky
Nancy Guthrie examines nine themes or nine stories of the Bible illustrating that what God has planned for us is even better than Eden. She writes, "Christ came to accomplish what was necessary to open the way for us, not just back into the garden of Eden, but into a home that will be even better than Eden and a life that will be even better than the life Adam and Eve enjoyed there."

The nine stories are as follows: the story of the wilderness, the story of the tree, the story of his image, the
Becky Pliego
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mrs. Guthrie does a great job pulling the strings together so that the reader may see how the Bible is one whole narrative that leads us to Christ.
I do not hold the same Theological position as Mrs. Guthrie in some things (I am a post-mil), but I appreciate very much the way she has brought *the* whole story together.
Brandi Breezee
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I honestly didnt think I would love this book until it came highly recommend by a friend. Ive read books on this topic before, so I expected more of the same. This book unlocked even more depth from the Scriptures than I could have hoped for. Beautifully done. Scriptures are illuminated beyond imagine when Im wearing what my dear friend calls glory glasses. ...more
MaryAnne Hommel
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There is a song with lyrics that speak of wanting to go back to Eden, back to the perfection that was Gods original creation. We are all so aware that this world isnt what it could be, isnt what it should be. But was Eden really all it was cracked up to be?

In Even Better than Eden: Nine Ways the Bibles Story Changes Everything about Your Story answers that question. Nancy Guthrie unpacks the intent of Eden, illuminating a perspective I had never considered. While teaching on Eden often focuses
David Couch
Sep 25, 2018 rated it liked it
What is your story? Where would you begin? Maybe itd be where you grew, where you went to school. Nancy Guthrie in Even Better Than Eden wants you to start further back. She wants you to think of your story as part of the grand story the story that begins in Eden.

Getting the church to understand the grand story of the Bible is something that Crossway have been trying to do now for a while. From books in the shorter studies in Biblical Theology, to Echoes of Exodus, and many others. I, for one,
Camron Hyde
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
People can have a tendency to see the Bible as a disjointed collection of books and stories. Even more so, people tend to separate the Old and New Testaments going so far as to say there is almost a different God between the two or that God really changed once Jesus showed up. That's why I think Nancy Guthrie's new book, Even Better Than Eden is a valuable resource that most Christians need to take the time to read. According to Guthrie:

Every chapter will trace a theme that runs from Genesis to
Jeanie
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
You think your life is defined by the body you see when you look in the mirror, and the job you have or don't have, or by the titles after your name. They don't define you. Who you are is most profoundly about who Christ is and who the Spirit is making you to be. Your sense of identity is being shaped by your sense of being made in his image. But more than that, it is being shaped by your anticipation of being remade in his glorious image!

Starting from the beginning in Genesis in the Garden of

• Flourish: How the Love of Christ Frees Us from Self-Focus
  • Refresh: Embracing a Grace-Paced Life in a World of Endless Demands
  • 7 Myths about Singleness
  • Confronting Christianity: 12 Hard Questions for the World's Largest Religion
Nancy and her husband, David, and son, Matt, make their home in Nashville, Tennessee, where they attend Christ Presbyterian Church (Presbyterian Church in America). After losing two infant children to a rare genetic disorder, Nancy writes books that reflect her compassion for hurting people and her passion for applying God's Word to real life.

In addition to teaching a weekly Bible class at her

News & Interviews

“The Spirit at work in us is replacing our desire to dress in a way that impresses or seduces with a desire to dress as Paul instructed women in his letter to Timothy, “in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control” (1 Tim. 2:9). Rather than making a fashion statement with our clothes that will cause heads to turn in our direction, we want to make a fashion statement with our character that will cause heads to turn in Christ’s direction.” 0 likes
“The intensity of fleeting pleasure is surpassed by the intensity of lingering shame and regret.” 0 likes