Start by marking “Keep This to Yourself” as Want to Read:
Keep This to Yourself

Keep This to Yourself

It’s been a year since the Catalog Killer terrorized the sleepy seaside town of Camera Cove, killing four people before disappearing without a trace.

Like everyone else in town, eighteen-year-old Mac Bell is trying to put that horrible summer behind him—easier said than done since Mac’s best friend Connor was the murderer’s final victim. But when he finds a cryptic message
Hardcover
Published 2019 by Albert Whitman

To ask other readers questions about Keep This to Yourself, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keep This to Yourself

C.G. Drews
this book was so so stressful...I am sTRESSED. At one point I literally had to tell myself to relax my jaw lmao...which is the sign of a good thriller right!? Now I'm aware it doesn't come out till April (shh i got excited and read early) so I'll just cobble a few thoughts here and fill out the review closer to the date!

➸ it is about a serial killer so like, dude, cREEPy
➸ quiet soft narrator
➸ m/m romance
➸ trauma? we gotcha trauma
➸ it's a year-old case now but Mac's best friend was murdered and h
Kyle
Apr 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Actual rating: 3.5 (rounded down) I really struggled with this rating. It’s one of the rare instances in which a book is ACTUALLY halfway between three and four stars.

I’ve also tagged *SPOILERS* appropriately, so I say: only open them if you’ve already read the book!

Many thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for this eARC.
*It should be mentioned that the copy I read is an unfinished draft, and may be subject to change upon release. Thereby, my opinion henceforth is of the said uncorrected docu
Bunni
Jan 22, 2019 rated it liked it
**I received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review**

I don't think that this book was for me, but I DO think that others will like it. I didn't connect to any of the characters; it could have been because the main was male and usually in my YA reading the leads are female.

That is probably why I found myself wanting to know more about things from Doris' and Carrie's POV. Especially Doris, of course. Or Ben, even: would've liked to know more about his problems.

I was very surprised
Karen
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thrillers can be really hit or miss with me - they either take too long to solve, have a ridiculous amount of red herrings, or have a predictable villain with poor motivation.

But I LOVED this book.

It takes place in Camera Cove, a small town that was rocked by four murders last year. The murderer was never found. The last victim was named Connor, a boy in high school who was also one of our narrator's best friends. One year later, Mac has decided to reopen the case himself and figure out who kill
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
***Thanks to NetGalley for providing me a complimentary copy of KEEP THIS TO YOURSELF by Tom Ryan in exchange for my honest review.***

4.5 STARS

What an unexpected gem!

Ingredients for a perfect mystery:

1 serial killer
1 estranged group of friends
1 murdered friend
1 kickass narrator
A bunch of interesting minor characters
1 possible love interest
A generous handful of clues
A sprinkle of red herrings
An ending I didn’t see coming

KEEP THIS TO YOURSELF is one of those novels I wanted to reread immediat
Ludwig
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
4,5 stars!

"The fear that had drifted into Camera Cove like a fog now morphed into full-blown terror."

Nowadays, we often encounter thrillers where events are forced for unnecessary suspense or shock value. This book is definitely not that.
Keep This To Yourself is a mystery debut, and the author is already knocking over all cliche YA mystery concepts and gifting us with a fresh, engrossing approach to the genre.

I'm such a sucker for small town mysteries but it's definitely been a while since I'v
Brenna Clark
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you a million times over to NetGalley for this book that has just about taken over my life the past few days! It was so incredibly hard to put down, and I was never bored or felt like things were dragging on. It was like a rollercoaster made only of loops and drops; every twist and turn took my stomach and my heart with it as I desperately tried to piece together this series of crimes with our protagonist, Mac. Never in a million years would I have guessed the ending, which really lends it ...more
Dahlia
Whoosh, the was the first ebook I've read in a single day in months. Lots of twists and turns, things I saw coming and things I definitely didn't. I don't really like to say any more about thrillers, so, I won't!
USOM
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
(Disclaimer: I received this book from Edelweiss. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

I could not put Keep This to Yourself down. Sleepily I picked it up after waking up and I could not stop reading. It's a thriller which will keep you on the edge of your toes as Ryan delves into this small town with big secrets. It's a book about grief and searching for closure, not letting all these questions remain unanswered. All of this while there's a swoony adorable gay romance a
Alexandra
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This book had me hooked from the start, i loved it!

First i want to say that i really liked the characters in this. They were varied and felt real, and i especially loved Mac. The way these characters acted and the way they spoke just made scenes flow, and it was so easy to imagine what was happening and how it could look.

Secondly, i loved the story. There were moments where i kept wondering who the culprit would really be, and i loved that i had my doubts and was kept in suspense until the revea
Kal ★ Reader Voracious
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kal ★ Reader Voracious by: Meaghan - Words Gremlin
"Last summer a serial killer paid a visit to Camera Cove. By the time the dust settled, four people were dead."
I've been in the mood for a mystery/thriller, and when my friend Meaghan wrote a glowing review I decided that I needed to read this one myself. And friends, I am not joking when I say that this book cured my freaking reading slump.

Ryan manages to pack so much information into the opening page of the book, relaying complex histories between the characters and hinting to a great tra
c,
But Connor isn’t here to hold us together anymore, and there’s nothing I can do to change that.

On my blog.

Actual rating 4.5

Rep: gay mc, biracial black gay li

Galley provided by publisher

You know a book is good when you finish it and try get your thoughts together and all you have is oh fuck. That’s me with this one. Even after I went away and slept on it (I stayed up late reading this, another sign how good it is).

Keep This to Yourself is set a year after a series of murders in a small town
Esha Dickson
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

TW: death, violence, murder, serial killer.

Release Date: 7 May 2019.

Received an eARC from NetGalley for review. It’s been a year since the Catalog Killer terriorised the seaside town of Camera Cove, leaving 4 bodies behind and very few clues. Like everyone, Mac is trying to move on, but is finding it understandably hard given his best friend, Connor, was the killer’s final victim. When Mac finds a cryptic message from Connor, he’s determined to find out what really happened to the vi
Erin (_everysecondbook)
"There's a whole unseen world beneath the surface."

5/5 stars

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for this DRC in exchange for an honest review.

Yes you read that right I gave a YA Mystery/Thriller 5 stars. Honestly I'm having a bit of a crisis of faith. I don't think you should know much about this when going into it, so I'm going to give you the basics:

1. It's a YA Mystery Thriller
2. It has LGBTQIAP+ representation (and good rep at that)
3. I didn't see the ending coming
4. The writing is abs
Mare SLiTsReaD Reviews
There is something about a murder mystery that just ticks all the boxes for me in a book.
Especially if you throw in some romance. And when its a YA and written really well, well just blow me over from happiness!

This one grabbed me from the start.
I'm kinda mad at myself for falling asleep last night and not finishing it.
I'm usually all pumped up hoping that I get the whodunit, and I was with this book, but I also just let the words take me there without the whole jumping, the book did that all
Taylor (TaysInfiniteThougts)
My first reaction after reading this book was definitely, “Wow, I did not see that coming.” As you read this book you’ll think you know who the killer is but I promise you that you’re wrong. When I started the book I immediately thought I knew what happened and while I wasn’t entirely wrong, I was still wrong. Which is what makes this such a great book. Unlike most mystery/thriller novels, you won’t know what really happened until the very end. It’ll definitely keep you on your toes.
Crowinator
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

First line from my Booklist review: "In this tense, compelling mystery, a gay teen mourning his best friend’s murder turns amateur detective upon discovering new evidence."

I found this to be a clever whodunit, mostly because of good use of misdirection, red herrings, and multiple suspects to obscure the fact that the clues needed to solve the case were there all along. This is one of those mysteries where I feel readers could figure it out, not because it's super obvious,
Christine -  LifeWithAllTheBooks
There’s something about a small town mystery that almost always makes for a juicy story full of secrets and for the most part Keep This To Yourself is no exception. A small community like Camera Cove that is full of intriguing characters gives the book an almost insular feeling that the reader can fully immerse themselves in. The aftermath of a shocking event is also a good place to begin a story of these people who have lived through a string of murders.

The book follows Mac whose life has been
Teri
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was in the mood for a mystery that really made me think, and Keep This To Yourself checked off that box, and more.

The setting is perfect - a small beach town full of secrets, where everyone knows everybody's business.  I immediately connected with Mac, and his determination to hold onto strained childhood friendships in the wake of a tragedy.  He's fiercely loyal to his murdered friend, Connor, and the fluctuating emotions he feels are genuine and portrayed well.  Mac's budding romance with Qu
Montgomery Price
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an earch from the publisher in exchange for a review, all thoughts expressed are my own.

Putting my thoughts on this book into words is something that I'm still finding really hard to do. In short, though, it was easily one of the most addicting books that I've read this year and I absolutely loved the journey and the end product quite a bit.

Doris is easily one of my new favorite characters of all time, the moments where we got to spend quality time with her were easily some of the hi
Megan
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was like Murder She Wrote with a gay teenage boy narrator instead of a busy body old lady. I couldn't put it down and it was a really fun mystery. The twist at the end isn't super surprising if you read a lot of YA but it didn't disappointed.

As a librarian I also loved the portrayal of the small town library and librarian.
Rebecca Crunden
Mar 22, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: lgbt-fiction, mystery
*sees homophobic review on Twitter*

*immediately adds book to to-read list*

LGBT MYSTERY GUYS, COME SUPPORT.
Danielle
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a young adult novel where a group of high school kids who grew up together are still coming to terms with the death of one of their friends at the hands of a serial killer that plagued their town a year before but who was never caught. One of them stumbles on what he thinks is new information in the case and decides to take things into his own hands to see if he can figure out what happened to his friend. I could not get into this book. I did not care what happened to any of the characte ...more
Sally Maxwell
Nov 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Thank you to Albert Whitman & Company for the arc of this book.
I didn’t dislike this book, but I am not sure if I liked it either, at one point I did consider putting it down, I am glad I didn’t though, the end was a twist you don’t see coming.
I just think this book lacked umph for me, except for that ending, that was very good.
The Bookish Austin
I totally figured it out before the end. :)
Here's my full review: https://thebookishaustin.tumblr.com/p...
Garan
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Edelweiss for the DRC of the book in exchange for an honest review.

I had no idea what I was in for when I started this book. I’m usually all in for murder mysteries from the get-go because the ones I choose are usually trashy and easy to just melt into. There is nothing trashy about this book. As soon as I finished, I wanted to read it again. And again. And again. Hold on, I’ll make it a little bit more clear for y’all: I am head over heels in love with this novel.

For years, I have
Annie Deo
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Crossposted to my blog.

I had such a good time reading this! I found it really engaging and raced through it, completely hooked by the twists and turns, and legitimately shocked and impressed by the end. YA mysteries can be hit-and-miss, but I thought this was very satisfying and tightly plotted. It's difficult to straddle that line between teens being too competent and unrealistically astute or being too oblivious and missing the most glaringly obvious clues, but I liked how the teenagers were
Roger Hyttinen
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This follows 18-year-old Mac Bell who is still reeling from his best friend Conor's murder the year prior. Conor was the fourth victim of a serial killer named The Catalog Killer that terrorized Camera Cove for a few months and then vanished, with everyone being confident that the killer was a random drifter who had moved on after the killings.

Now a year later, everyone is trying to move on with their lives, including Mac. But when he finds a cryptic note from Conor that was written on the day o
Sue~Always Reading~
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a really exciting story. I loved the setting in a small, beach town with eerie caves. It brought to mind many mysteries I read and loved as a teenager. The main character, Mac, is a teenager himself at 18. I wouldn’t call this young adult but I think it can be easily enjoyed and appreciated by teenagers as well as adults. This is one I would’ve loved at 16.

The story follows Mac throughout the summer after he graduates high school. The town had been disturbed by a serial killer, the last
Annette
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Keep This to Yourself surprised me. And that's a good thing in a mystery.

It has been a year since The Catalog Killer terrorized the seaside town of Camera Cove, killing four people including a teenager, Connor. Mac and three other kids from the same neighborhood were friends with Connor since they were very young. Now they are graduating from high school and still very much missing Connor.

Mac, in particular, is having a difficult time. The killer was never caught but is believed to be a drifter
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Kings, Queens, and In-Betweens
  • The Pursuit of Miss Heartbreak Hotel
  • All Eyes on Us
  • Technically, You Started It
Tom Ryan is the author of several books for young readers. He has been nominated for several awards, and two of his young adult novels, Way to Go and Tag Along, were chosen for the ALA Rainbow List, in 2013 and 2014. He was a 2017 Lambda Literary Fellow in Young Adult Fiction. Tom, his husband, and their dog currently divide their time between Toronto and Nova Scotia.