Start by marking “The Cat Who Ate Christmas” as Want to Read:
The Cat Who Ate Christmas

The Cat Who Ate Christmas

A charming Christmas story for the whole family about a cat who is up to no good!

It's Christmas, and Jingles the kitten has knocked over the Christmas tree and unwrapped all of the presents! What a naughty kitty. When Jingles eats the entire Christmas turkey, it's the final straw! Jingles is in big trouble now. While his family is busy cleaning up the mess, a guilty
Published October 9th 2018 by Running Press Kids

To ask other readers questions about The Cat Who Ate Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cat Who Ate Christmas

Start your review of The Cat Who Ate Christmas
Mischenko
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a fun, short story about a cat named Jingles who seems to keep getting into mischief. Jingles trashes the tree and decorations while the family is left to deal with it. I was glad the family were understanding with Jingles and not overly aggressive, although they did still get angry. I have to wonder why the family would leave the house with a turkey sitting on the table. I mean, if that isn't an open invitation for Jingles to dig in, I don't know what is! This is a cute story, but ...more
Starjustin
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I loved the theme this book detailed throughout involving a very close knit family, a 'naughty' cat, and what Christmas day really means even if all does not go well. A great teaching lesson for children and adults as well.
I give 5 stars to most children's books because the majority teach life lessons we all need to learn and adhere to. I highly recommend this one.
Carla Johnson-Hicks
This is a fun read for a Christmas library, especially if the family has a cat. Cats are known to wreak havoc with Christmas trees, and Jingles is no slouch. When the family goes to sleep, he climbs the tree, ruins the decorations and somehow, even opens the presents. When he is left home alone with the turkey settling on the counter, he is enticed by the smells. Once again, cats can jump and when the family returns home with grandma, the turkey is pretty well gone. When he disappears, the ...more
Ronyell
I would like to thank NetGalley and RP Kids for providing me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

So, I was browsing for more books on NetGalley again and I stumbled upon a children’s book that had a pretty interesting title, which was called “The Cat Who Ate Christmas” which is written by Lil Chase along with artwork by Thomas Docherty and of course, I had to pick this book up for the title alone!

It is Christmas and the Hudson family are celebrating the holidays with
Christine
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The Cat Who Ate Christmas is a cute Christmas story for children. I would give this Christmas children’s book by Lil Chase 4 stars. I read it to my 3 and almost 5 year old daughters who LOOOOVE all things Christmas. I think an older age group would be a bit more appropriate for this story, my three year olds attention began to wane about 1/3 of the way through. My kids both got a kick out of the kids getting their teeth checked and having to brush again which is a common theme in our home.

Pros-
Veronica
The Cat Who Ate Christmas is a cute Christmas book with Jingles the mischievous cat as the main character. Jingles manages to ruin a Christmas tree, shred presents, and eat turkey intended for his human family. The deeper theme here is patience and forgiveness but children will love the Jingles antics. The drawings accompanying the book are amazing.
Nostalgia Reader
A cute story about Jingles, a mischievous cat who gets into quite a bit of trouble and almost ruins Christmas! While there wasn’t a whole lot of substance to the plot, it was still a quick read (or read-a-long) for the holiday season, especially for those families who have a pet cat and can likely relate to some of the crazy mischief. There’s no overarching lessons to be taught (although forgiveness for getting into trouble is certainly something to take away from this), it’s just a fun read! ...more
Jayasree B
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-kindle-lib
Once in a while, one has to make time to read a children's book. It is a different sort of fun.

This book is about a li'l kitten, Jingles, that manages to get into things and places, it shouldn't. And eventually disappears, setting the family on a hunt to locate jingles. I loved how this is a family story, and of course the kitten itself. It is always great to read a book that reminds me of my own childhood reading.

Loved it.

For more book reviews, visit Frost At Midnite.
Cherry London
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This cat’s name needs to change from Jingles to Mayhem, he gets into some of the most mischievous situations ever, causing lots of trouble for Alex, Lily, Rose and yes even their parents too. He gets away with his naughty behavior cause they love him to bits. In my opinion, they need to take him to the cat whisperer, he needs some training or is it the family that needs the training, whatever, I find it annoying. This is an amusing and interesting fun read, that has educative fun facts at the ...more
Cat
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could sooo relate to this story! I have cats and for a long while, every Christmas, my tree ended up laying on the floor! No turkey at Christmas, but I have to fend off cats every Thanksgiving as I fix the bird (and the cats are SURE I am destroying it!). Cat owners and their kids will surely enjoy this tale of Jingles and his family! Illustrations were wonderful!

I received a Kindle Arc in exchange for a fair review from Netgalley.
Paula
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a cute book about a very mischievous cat named Jingles. He is in a loving family but oh my, it is Christmas and there are a number of new things to get into!

I also have a cat who is a real challenge at Christmas so this was a fun read for me. Very cute and one I will read to my grandchildren. I read this for an honest review from Netgalley.
Wilde Sky
A cat causes havoc at Christmas.

I thought this was a sweet story for children with reasonable illustrations.
Daniel
This review originally published in Looking For a Good Book. Rated 3.0 of 5

The Hudson family is looking forward to enjoying their Christmas, but their curious cat, Jingles, is exploring Christmas just the way any feline might. First, there's the Christmas tree, with its shiny ornaments and attractive lights that needs to be explored. But the poor cat didn't expect a tree to actually come crashing down! And the decorations around the house ... a series of toys for a cat, right? And why would you
Anna W.
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley
So, first it should be noted that I love cats, even cats who repeatedly topple Christmas trees and eat whole, cooked turkeys.

As such, I loved The Cat Who Ate Christmas. I wish this book had been around when my son was little because I imagine he would have cackled and grinned over the illustrations and the lost kitten, Jingles.

Jingles is, as one can guess, a naughty kitten. She knocks over the Christmas tree, rips and ruins beautifully wrapped gifts, and--as noted--eats a whole cooked turkey
Janet
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a DIGITAL Advance Reader Copy of this book from #NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. From the publisher ---

It's Christmas and Jingles the kitten has knocked over the Christmas tree and unwrapped all of the presents! What a naughty kitty. When Jingles eats the entire Christmas turkey, it's the final straw! Jingles is in big trouble now. While his family is busy cleaning up the mess, a guilty
Summer
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Jingles is a feisty kitten! Some of his favorite pastimes include climbing the Christmas tree and unwrapping his families’ Christmas gifts. Luckily for him, Jingles has a very loving and understanding family. Mom, Dad, Alex, Lily, and Rose all love him and are always quick to forgive his transgressions; that is until the day of Christmas dinner, when the family leaves the turkey to cool on the counter while they go to pick up grandma. Jingles cannot resist the delicious smell so he sniffs, ...more
Jessica
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This is a fun story set on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day and features a kitten named Jingles that just keeps causing trouble! Any cat owner will identify with this book and the illustrations are great and will keep the kids entertained.

Though set at Christmas ( the story shows the children’s excitement of Christmas), the story can be read anytime. This is not a Christmas story, but a ‘real life’ story.

If you are getting a cat anytime soon, be wary of Christmas time and what kind of disasters
Susan F
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a really cute story about a very naughty cat named Jingles. He causes a lot of problems at Christmas time for his family. Even though he is naughty, his human family loves him. The book has nice illustrations which will help young children visualize the funny actions of Jingles. The story shows how pets can act even during Christmas because it is their natural instinct. A recipe for cocoa and a special craft is included for children to make with family or friends.

Thanks to NetGalley and
Lindsey Hogan Lasswell
The Cat Who Ate Christmas is an adorable book about an ornery kitty who has just too much Christmas cheer. I love this book because it perfectly shows the experience of navigating the holidays with pets. Poor Jingles the cat just wants to explore the new house festivities, but not without making a mess. Any family with a cat (or pet in general) will enjoy adding this to their holiday collection. I know I look forward to adding it to ours! The illustrations beautifully pair with the story and the ...more
Eve beinguniquebooks
Jingles the cat causes mayhem for his family in this delightful short children's book. Lily, Rose and Alex all look forward to Christmas but their crafty kitty knocks over the tree, scoffs the Christmas dinner and opens the presents! Naturally in turn, all the family are angry at his actions but still love him and so head off to buy him his favourite treats and track him down to bring him home again!

A short sweet book, with charming illustrations, everyone will fall in love with Jingles!

Many
What is the most important thing about Christmas? Is it the tree and decorations? Is it the delicious food? What would make you most upset if it got destroyed?

Jingles is a small kitten but he is a part of the family. He has not yet learned how to behave.
When Jingles messes up the decorations he is supposed to stay closed safely in a bedroom, but someone didn't close the door tightly. Will Jingles get into more trouble?

Find out what happens and how the family reacts. A fast paced holiday
Karen
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, maddy-s-books
My 10 year old daughter and I loved this book. It was a cute story about a cat who was constantly in trouble. The cat was always destroying something! The lesson in this story was definitely for parents because I was amazed at how calm the mom was when the cat was ruining things. It’s a reminder that life is too short to be upset over trivial things that can be replaced! I love the extras at the end of the book too. We loved the recipe and the craft.
Jennifer Ritter
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The Cat Who Ate Christmas is an endearing children’s Christmas story starring a mischievous cat named Jingles who wreaks havoc with his family’s Christmas from presents to dinner and more.

With detailed pen and ink drawings and a flowing family tale, this is a very good new addition to Christmas story fare. I enjoyed reading this story and look forward to sharing it with my grandsons.
H.L. Burke
Pretty basic but kind of sweet story with fun illustrations that made an easy read aloud (finished it comfortably in one sitting). Kept my almost-8-year-olds attention. Not something I'd return to as a yearly classic, but was a nice quick read.
Miss Sarah
A family is working hard to have an old fashioned Christmas but their cat is thwarting them at every angle even if he doesn't mean to. Early chapter book for elementary. Fun and easy read
Christine Rains
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jingles is a naughty kitty. But what cat can resist all the lights and shiny Christmas stuff?

Cute story which had my son laughing out loud a lot, and I loved the illustrations.
Lupine
Great beginning chapter book -engaging with clues in the illustrations. Good for the kid who is just gaining fluency but not quite there yet.
Connie Stein
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a very cute story for Christmas time. It is not your traditional story but more like a real life story. I would read this with my 6 year old granddaughter.
Nicole
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really cute chapter book (I think?) about a naughty kitten who makes a mess at Christmastime, and the family who loves him. We've had cats who were like that in their kitten days.
Kelly
This is a fun, quick early reader chapter book about a cat who tends to create a lot of trouble, and the people who continue to love her.

• Sammy Claws the Christmas Cat
  • Jultröjan
  • Here Comes Santa Cat
  • The Killer Cat's Christmas (The Killer Cat, #5)
  • Amy's Very Merry Christmas (The Critter Club, #9)
  • A Fine Romance:  Falling in Love with the English Countryside
  • The Snowy Nap
  • Santa Mouse
  • This Is Christmas
  • A Christmas Dream: A sweet short story for Christmas
  • A Christmas of Hope
  • Mercy Watson Thinks Like a Pig
  • My Mouth Is a Volcano!
  • The Worst Day of My Life Ever!
  • Today I'll Be a Unicorn
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 15 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #15)
  • 'Twas The Night Before Thanksgiving