Start by marking “Edison: The Mystery of the Missing Mouse Treasure” as Want to Read:

Edison: The Mystery of the Missing Mouse Treasure

A long time ago, one mouse learned to fly, another landed on the moon...what will happen in the next Mouse adventure?

When two unlikely friends build a vessel capable of taking them to the bottom of the ocean find a missing treasure—the truth turns out to be far more amazing.
Published October 2nd 2018 by NorthSouth Books (first published August 31st 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Edison, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Edison

Start your review of Edison: The Mystery of the Missing Mouse Treasure
Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance
4.5 adventurous mice :)

When adventure calls upon you, and should you have a weakness for such things, there is hardly a way of not complying…even if you are a mouse!

“He left this letter behind. He talks about the treasure and his journey to America. This piece of paper has been in our family’s possession for generations. It’s the last sign of life that we have of my ancestor.”
-Torben Kuhlman

Written in old-fashioned mouse language, Pete, the little mouse brings a sheet of paper to the professor o
Mackey
My review will be short and sweet, much like the book, "Edison." Torben Kuhlmann creates adorable little chapter books for children, each of which teaches the reader a little bit about history and science - from a mouse's point of view, of course. In this particular story, Edison is on an adventure to find a secret treasure long hidden by his ancestor. Instead of gold, he discovers a book filled with scientific diagrams. It's a cute story with facts, both scientific and historical, scattered thr ...more
Alexandra
* Review copy provided by Netgalley *

After my enjoyment and appreciation of Armstrong I had high hopes for this one. I was not disappointed.

Edison has an adventurous story combined with glorious artwork sure to delight young readers.

The story begins in a bookstore, where a group of mice gather for the University of Mice.

"Here any inquisitive mouse could learn everything there was to know about the history of mice: mice who had traveled the world, mice who had made great discoveries, and also t
Manybooks
Before I commence with my actual review of Torben Kuhlmann's Edison: The Mystery of the Missing Mouse Treasure (which has been translated from the author's original German Edison: Das Rätsel des verlorenen Mäuseschatzes by David Henry Wilson and is a 2019 Mildred L. Batchelder Award honouree) I have to admit that I do find it rather interesting and also kind of strangely ironic that although mice in particular are often and rightfully so considered as being pests and vermin (and that our Anglo-S ...more
Arybo ✨
“According to the professor, nothing was impossible for a mouse.”

What would have happened if Twenty thousand leagues under the sea was written by a mouse?
Well, it would have done a great job anyway.

This book feels like Verne’s masterpiece to me. It brings me back to my childhood, when my favorite books had a mouse in the cover and I loved reading about Treasures and pirates and adventures. I loved every single page of this artistic book.

The first scene is wonderful, the dream of every reader:
Martin
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a truly outstanding children's book. The graphics are seriously out of this world amazing!

description

A young mouse is trying to find a hidden treasure with the help of a professor from the mouse university!

description

The journey to finding the treasure requires lots of 'engineering' and scientific explanations that will certainly spark a child's curiosity. It's also a valuable lesson in history.

Definitely 5 stars!
And yes, I'm reviewing books that I'm giving to kids in my family as Christmas presents, LOL. Not qu
Mehsi
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

Imagine my delight when I found out that this author/illustrator made more books featuring mice. I already read Lindbergh: The Tale of a Flying Mouse 2 years prior, loved that one to bits. I was very much excited to start this one. Featuring a new mouse, new adventures, new friendship, new mysteries, new inventions.

This time the adventure is about a little mouse who wants to know more about his ancestor who went to America. He g
Jessica
Aug 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4,5 stars
Abigail
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young Readers Who Enjoy Animal Fiction / Torben Kuhlmann Fans
When an eager young mouse named Pete approaches the learned old professor who teaches science at the University of Mice, sharing an incredible tale of his ancestor's trans-Atlantic voyage and of his lost treasure, the old gentleman at first doesn't wish to get involved. But he soon realizes that, like himself at that age, Pete is a born inventor and adventurer, and won't give up in his efforts to get to the bottom of the ocean and retrieve the treasure. Soon the pair are making plans, and diving ...more
Kathryn
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I just finished reading this to my sons. I wasn't sure if it would be of interest to them, but once my oldest (six years old) saw the illustrations he was hooked. The bio of Kuhlmann at the back made me smile as the description of his drafting interests in kindergarten reminds me so much of my son and I guess there must have been a bit of a "kindred spirit" thing going on there as my son loved all the intricate details of the illustrations. I really do think they are marvelous, both the illustra ...more
Trish
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this third and newest mouse adventure, the mice have not only settled in America but have organised their society, culminating in there even being a university for little mice. At this university, the professor we met in the previous book teaches. One day, he is visited by a young mouse telling him of a family heirloom: a treasure map leading to a sunken treasure at the bottom of the Atlantic ocean. But how to get there?

Well, as the professor mouse explains, mice have learned how to build and
Cheryl
Jul 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
No. Pretty pictures and good intentions are not enough to make a good book. Too much bad science, way too much suspension of disbelief, too many points just plain wrong.* And boring. And Edison was kind of a jerk, too; I'm not sure he's the one who should be highlighted in this book... and after all, the main invention was a submarine, which was not invented by Edison. I'd rather read a book honoring Tesla myself.

*No mention of the bends. Moby Dick is a slim volume in the store. Mice can melt st
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cybils, picture-book
A tiny mouse strikes out to find answers to an old family mystery.

Edison is a novel picture book with wonderful illustrations and a story that might lead kids to becomes intrigued enough to explore and invent.

Lindsi (Do You Dog-ear?)
Aug 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, netgalley
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts and opinions are my own. Any quotes I use are from an unpublished copy and may not reflect the finished product.

I really liked all of the illustrations for Edison, but some of the wording was weird. I was under the impression that this was a children's book, so saying things like "When I was young, I also went off on crazy adventures, risking life and limb like an idiot" seemed inappropriate. It wouldn't have taken mu
Jiahui Z
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Edison: The Mystery of the Missing Mouse Treasure was written by Torben Kuhlmann and it was a 2019 Mildred L. Batchelder honor book. It tells the story of a mouse named Pete that goes on a journey to find the lost treasure from his ancestor.

The book was originally written in German and it is presented as a picture book with chapters. The illustrations are beautifully drawn and gives the reader details the text does not contain. The also gives details that support the illustrations. Without one
Becca Jacquin
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The illustrations is what caught my eye when flipping through this book to check it in and that's saying something.
The illustrations are beautifully rendered and the little details are what make it feel like I should keep my eyes out for mouse holes in bookstores and libraries.
The story follows a young mouse who is on the hunt for his ancestors sunken treasure. What's great though is that this book brings up topics like water pressure and ocean life in a way that young children would be able to
Paul Franco
Aug 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A mouse finds out about an underwater treasure and wants to go find it. He enlists the aid of a professor who in a previous story went to the moon, so he seems to be the right one to ask. The title gives you a hint as to where it ends.
The first page is giant and colorful, all the more for it being a bookstore. When a customer comes in and distracts the clerk, all the mice scurry behind the wall to the University of Mice. (Makes me wonder what they were doing out in the bookstore in the first pla
Nostalgia Reader
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
An absolutely adorable and gorgeously illustrated tale about mouse inventors and explorers! Pete is a young mouse who comes to ask the Professor (an instructor at the Mouse University) for help in finding a treasure his ancestor supposedly had. After delving into the historical records, the two mice discover the treasure is buried at the bottom of the sea with a shipwreck. They both must use their scientific process to find out a way to reach the ocean floor and invent and invention that will ge ...more
Rachael Rennard
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
(I received this title free as an e-book from NetGalley, but all opinions in this review are my own.)

I was delighted to read Edison by Torben Kuhlmann aloud to my eight year old daughter. We enjoyed it immensely! It tells the story of a mouse named Pete who wants to find the long lost treasure of his ancestor. He enlists the help of an older mouse professor who happens to be a brilliant scientist. Their search for the treasure takes them to the bottom of the ocean and leads them to an important
Anna
Jul 30, 2018 rated it liked it
This book started out as a solid 5 stars. On the basis of the pictures themselves, it really does deserve 5 stars. The illustrations are absolutely amazing, and you could spend a lot of time just studying them and picking out all the details.

The story started off strong. My 7-year-old grandson and I were really enjoying it. Then it just seemed to fall apart. There seemed to be missing parts, and the story jumped in ways that didn't make sense. Some of it could be pieced together from the illustr
Gemma
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for an arc of this title in exchange for an honest review.

I must say I'm a fan of Torben Kuhlmanns other titles and this was no exception.
The illustrations and diagrams are wonderfull. I love the lay out and the tiny details .
While the text is fairly long the pictures are so full of wonder there is enoigh to keep the smaller audiences attention.
I love how the science, mechanical and technical facts and drawings fit In perfectly with the story.
This fully m
Theediscerning
Aug 07, 2018 rated it liked it
A book that I wanted to fall in love with, but couldn't. Yes, the design and artwork is wonderful, and there is adventure to be had here for the young, but the story is so full of whimsy and circumstance it felt like too much of a fantasia, and less a coherent drama. The author seems to want his audience to be as inquisitive as Pete, his young hero, but not wonder how the old Professor knew he was in the bath, and much more. Finally, the educational side of things seemed rather shoe-horned in. T ...more
Elevetha
*An ARC of this book was provided by NETGALLEY in exchange for an honest review *

Kuhlmann always has absolutely lovely and incredibly detailed illustrations, which makes his picture book a must-read for me. I found the story this time around to be slightly less engaging than the first two, but still charming and likely to keep kids on the slightly higher reading level interested.
Pop Bop
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Possibly the Best of the Bunch

This is the third mouse adventure book by Torben Kuhlman, following on his transatlantic flying mouse book and his mouse on the moon book. This time we search for undersea treasure. Make no mistake, these aren't just tales of mice scurrying around in the walls looking for cheese and avoiding the cat. These are gorgeous, clever, stirring tales that are broadly conceived, stunningly executed, and remarkably engaging.

To be fair, the "plots" as such are slight and the t
Wayne McCoy
Dec 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
'Edison: The Mystery of the Missing Mouse Treasure' with story and art by Torben Kuhlmann continues the series of lavishly illustrated books about mice who seem connected to great figures in history.

A young mouse goes to his professor when he learns of a sunken treasure his grandfather left him. The mice work to invent something that will take them to a shipwreck and the treasure promised. What they find at the bottom of the sea is not your ordinary treasure.

These are interesting stories, but do
Amanda
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love Torben Kuhlmann's alternative history books and Edison does not disappoint. The best part is obviously the breathtaking illustrations; I feel like I could walk right into them.

At first I was confused about what Thomas Edison had to do with oceanography. But unlike Kuhlmann's previous books, the main character does not parallel the famous human namesake. Instead this book features a young mouse named Pete who is searching for his ancestor's lost treasure.

Looking forward to seeing where the
Lisa Robbins
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the review according to my 8 year old son:

I liked it! I thought it was neat that they made a submarine. I liked the characters. It's interesting that he was trying to find his ancestor. The characters were creative in their building and I like that they didn't give up. The professor was helpful. I would recommend this book to other kids.

Thanks to NetGalley for a copy of this book.
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Many thanks to my friend John for making me aware of this beautiful, lovely book! Like John, I knew I had to get this book because of the amazing illustrations of books and an old-fashioned library (with card catalog and everything!)

I was smiling the entire time I was reading this and taking in the gorgeous pictures. I'm excited to give it to my cousin's kids for Christmas and read it with them too!

Update: I read this aloud to my cousin's 9-year-old daughter tonight and she loved it too!
R
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a cute story! The illustrations were beautifully detailed and no doubt will add to the imaginative adventures of its readers. The combination of the words with the pictures formed an interesting history/science story that will entertain and educate young children. It’s a winning combination!
Melissapalmer404
Nov 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Book #95 Read in 2018
Edison: The Mystery of the Missing Mouse Treasure

This is a beautifully illustrated book that will engage readers who like cute mice, underwater adventures or are interested in learning about inventors. It is well done and a quick read, perfect for elementary and middle school readers. I borrowed this book from the public library.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Agnes ja unien avain
  • Osasto 23
  • Nattexpressen
  • Memento mori
  • Allu ja salainen ihailija (Allu, #1)
  • Voittamaton rosvojoukko
  • Nidstången (Pax, #1)
Torben Kuhlmann (1982) is a German communications designer, illustrator and picture book author. He studied Illustration and Communication Design at the Hamburg University of Applied Sciences . In 2014 he published his first book, Lindbergh - The adventurous story of a flying mouse, the product of his graduation thesis at the college.

News & Interviews