Start by marking “Sloppy Takes the Plunge” as Want to Read:
Sloppy Takes the Plunge

Sloppy Takes the Plunge

Everyone loves a good hug and a good bath!

Sloppy the tree dragon doesn’t want to take a bath.

“Being mucky is what a tree dragon is all about.”  Could it be that getting clean is nearly as fun as getting dirty?
Published September 4th 2018 by NorthSouth Books

To ask other readers questions about Sloppy Takes the Plunge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sloppy Takes the Plunge

Jane
This is a perfectly cute little book about the importance of taking a bath and it would fit nicely into any reading rotation.

The pictures are sweet and the story is ok, but overall it's missing that special magic for me that would elevate this up to my favourites shelf.

Thank you to NetGalley and NorthSouth Books Inc. for a providing me with a DRC of this book.
✩ Ashley ✩
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was such a pleasant surprise!! I instantly fell in love with Sloppy and Dewdrop! Very refreshing adorable story for bath time! Full of imagination and fun! :) Highly recommend!!!

The above is an honest review of an advanced copy provided by the publisher via NetGalley.
Katie
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Charming little children's book about a tree dragon taking his first bath. Any parent or caregiver knows how difficult it can be to encourage outdoorsy boys and girls to take a bath. I like how the book uses kid-friendly reasons for bathing like to give a friend a hug or show little babies not to be scared. The illustrations are fun and whimsical and the book would be a good addition to a child's library of books.
Etienne
May 02, 2018 rated it liked it
A little book for child, that bring the importance of taking a bath. Always with this type of book you can use it to show your kid why it's important to wash themself. Not the better book on this «subject» ( I found La doudou qui ne sentait pas bon, de Claudia Larochelle, better in every aspect) but it's still an average book, that achieve is purpose in a simple way.
Storywraps
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This delightful tale will have you smiling. Sloppy, the tree dragon, wants his friend Dewdrop to give him a big warm hug and is a little hurt when she declines to do so. Why would she say no to her good friend? This is why...

Sloppy is covered in dirt, mud, and who knows what else. Dewdrop encourages him to first take a bath and then she will gladly hug him. It is then that she discovers something very surprising. Sloppy proudly declares that he has never taken a bath before and is apprehensive t
Cassandra
A lovely children's book perfect for when you're little ones are anxious about having a bath. The story follows Sloppy the tree dragon who loves to get muddy and dirty, but is scared to have a bath until his friend shows him it can actually be quite fun. The story was short ans sweet and to the point. The illustrations were beautifully done, and I found the colors to be nice and vibrant, which really pulled the whole thing together for me. Wonderful!

A huge thank you to NetGalley and the publishe
Elley Murray
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, netgalley, childrens
This is the cutest book, about a leaf dragon who gets all messy and mucky and goes to give his fairy friend a hug but she won't hug him because he's too dirty - he needs a bath! Sloppy the dragon is a little afraid to take his first ever bath, but when some baby ducklings are scared to go in the water Sloppy very bravely goes first, only to find out that he actually LOVES baths! The illustrations are adorable, the story is involved enough so it's not boring (See Spot. See Spot run. Run Spot, run ...more
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Somewhere along the way, kids go from loving to take baths and splash in the water to not wanting to bath anymore. This book is a cute one to read about the fun of taking a bath. It also is about overcoming fears. The illustrations are cute and the text simple. Overall a cute book to be read to young children, perhaps before bedtime rituals of taking their bath. The publisher generously provided me with a copy of this book via netgalley.
Paul Franco
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
From the cover alone you can tell how cute this is going to be.
For a fairy that wears rainboots, Dewdrop is big on hygiene, to the point she won’t give a requested hug to a muddy dragon. Sloppy refuses to clean up, but when it comes time to be brave for others, he steps up.
As expected, Dewdrop is the boss here, manipulating Sloppy every step of the way to get the job done. She doesn’t expect the last twist, of course, but that makes everything more fun. The dragon may have his name in the title,
Pop Bop
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I Like Sloppy

The emphasis in the blurbs I've read about this book is on getting kids to overcome their reluctance to take baths. I don't mean to be a wiseguy, and I don't know about you, but the kids and grandkids I have are fine with baths, love playing around in the bath, and pretty much have to be dragged out of the bath. So in the hierarchy of tooth brushing, room cleaning, indoor voicing, and potty training, bath taking doesn't seem like that big a deal to me.

Luckily, this is a picture boo
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
SloppyTakes the Plunge by Sean Julian. PICTURE BOOK North South Books, 2018. $18. 9780735843066

BUYING ADVISORY: PRE-K -ESSENTIAL , EL (K-3) – ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

Sloppy is a tree dragon who likes to play in mud puddles. When his friend Dewdrop comes along Sloppy wants to give her a hug. Dewdrop tells him he must take a bath before she will give him a hug. Sloppy has never taken a bath before so he is worried, but when he gets to the pond he meets little ducklings who are also afraid
Wayne McCoy
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Sloppy and Dewdrop are back in 'Sloppy Takes the Plunge' by Sean Julian. I didn't love this one quite as much as the first one, but it's still a really fun book for little readers.

Sloppy the tree dragon likes rolling in the mud. The problem is that his friend Dewdrop won't hug him when he's all "mucky." She insists that he take a bath in a local pond, but Sloppy has his misgivings. When he finds a group of younger creatures who are also afraid, Sloppy realizes he needs to lead by example.

I'm gla
DeA
Jul 02, 2018 rated it liked it
A copy of this book was provided to me from NetGalley in exchange for an Honest review.

The illustrations in this story make it a fun read to enjoy as an adult with small children. It tells the story of a young tree dragon who doesn't want to take his first bath. However, his friend Dewdrop won't hug him unless he is clean so he goes to face his fears on getting in the water. I didn't give this book more than three stars because it is very dialogue heavy for young readers but it would be a great
Lindsi (Do You Dog-ear?)
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts and opinions are my own.

This was such a cute book! If your child wants to play in the mud and not take a bath afterward--this might be a book for you!

Dewdrop uses a hug as incentive for Sloppy to take a bath, and it was fun watching this dragon inspect the water with a few ducklings to make sure it was safe.

I also loved the illustrations and how there was a giant plug in the lake making it resemble a bathtub. My son r
Molly
Sloppy the tree dragon is filthy, but he does not want to take a bath. He does, however, want a hug. But his fairy friend Dewdrop won't agree to one until he is cleaned up.

What's a dragon to do?! Sloppy finally takes the plunge and finds that he actually rather enjoys a bath. Dewdrop is glad to see her friend clean, but doesn't anticipate what's about to happen next.

A sweet story with very cute artwork - for a dragon, Sloppy is very non-threatening.

I received access to this title via NetGalley
Literary Soirée
The sweet tale of a tree dragon’s reluctant first bath is sure to encourage anyone to “take the plunge.” Darling illustrations and an engaging story with several messages: getting clean can be fun, helping others makes your own hard task easier, and a hug is a fine reward ... always! 5/5

Thanks to NetGalley and NorthSouth Books for the ARC. Opinions are my own.

#SloppyTakesThePlunge #NetGalley
Juliana Lee
Sloppy is a tree dragon who loves to play in the muck, but the fairy Dewdrop won't give him a hug because he's too dirty. Sloppy doesn't want to take a bath because something might nibble his toes. Then he sees the ducklings who are afraid to get in the water, so he checks underwater and dives right in. He has so much fun, that the ducklings join him in the water. Now Sloppy wants to bathe even when he's not dirty!
Theediscerning
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Clearly designed to get young kids (who are read to but might be beginning to parse words by themselves) to have a wash and bath, this is also clearly designed very well indeed. The tree dragon of the title needs coaxing into the water, but then he's not alone in that, and he's lucky to have a weird angel fairy thing as best friend to help out. It's slight, but it's perfectly harmless and really appealingly illustrated. A clean winner, then.
Brandi
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Sloppy takes the plunge" is an adorable, fun, and light hearted read about a dragon who doesn't want to get clean. Until his friend refuses to give him a hug if he's all mucky!

His friend Dewdrop helps him realize that baths are actually quite fun when they encounter ducklings getting scared.

It's a fun, lighthearted read and the illustrations are very cute and detailed.
Mortisha Cassavetes
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First let me thank Netgalley for an advanced digital copy. I thought this book was too cute. I loved the illustrations and the story line which I feel is great for both boys and girls. The story follows Sloppy, the tree dragon, and his first bath ever and his feelings. I would definitely recommend this to kids of all ages especially ones that may be afraid of water or bath time.
Brook Monaco Barker
Jun 09, 2018 rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this story book, but it’s just alright. It’s not going to become a classic. I don’t expect my children will request we read it over and over nor do I expect they’ll remember it when they are older and picking books for their children.

It’s about a tree dragon reluctantly taking his first bath.
Amanda
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
3.5 stars. Let me start with how beautiful the illistrations are! Super cute! The story was pretty cute as well, but not a family favorite at my house.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for a copy of this book, which I voluntarily chose to review.
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Terrific illustrations accompany a story about friendship and the importance of bathing. (I'm sure there are a lot of bus drivers who might like to hand out copies to some of their riders.) Ideal pick for a bedtime routine that includes a bath and story time.
Tara
Jan 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Pretty cute and could definitely be read to a child or group of children who don't particularly like baths.
Alyssa Gudenburr
A very cute story about a dragon who likes to get dirty, also finds out he likes taking baths too. Is on the longer side but would make a great lower elementary read aloud.
Kelly
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was just a bunch of fun.
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I like the idea of a "Tree Dragon," even though I'm not quite sure what that is. He looked super cute! This would probably work for a preschool storytime "Bathtime" theme
Tamii
May 10, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a cute book for bath time.
Miss Sarah
Nov 30, 2018 rated it liked it
A dragon is told by his fairy friend that he needs a bath but he refuses. What happens when a group of sucks joins in his protest? Cute and simple. Toddler and up
Ana
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everybody who likes children's books and dragons
Shelves: arc, children-s-books
This is a delightful and sweet book about a dragon that conquers his ablutophobia (pathological fear of washing or bathing). What's the motivation? His desire for a hug from his small friend. Then he discovers bathing is great fun. This book is good to tell little kids who don't want to take their bath. It can be a mom's helper.

In the end, we see the feeling of victory and delight Sloppy feels because he faced and won over his fears. That delicious feeling we all feel when we rise above our fea
« previous 1 3 4 next »