Start by marking “Shades of Magic Vol. 1: The Steel Prince” as Want to Read:
Shades of Magic Vol. 1: The Steel Prince

Shades of Magic Vol. 1: The Steel Prince

(Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #1-4)

Written by #1 New York Times bestselling author V.E. Schwab and torn from the universe of the Shades of Magic sequence, this all-original comic book prequel to A Darker Shade of Magic is perfect for fans of bloody, swashbuckling adventure and gritty fantasy!

Delve into the thrilling, epic tale of the young and arrogant prince Maxim Maresh, long before he became the king of
Published March 6th 2019 by Titan Comics

To ask other readers questions about Shades of Magic Vol. 1, please sign up.
Doc Titan is a big publisher so any decent bookstore should be able to order the physical version or if you can order online then Amazon should have it wh…moreTitan is a big publisher so any decent bookstore should be able to order the physical version or if you can order online then Amazon should have it when it comes out. However if you are talking about the e-book then I can see the Kindle version has a release date.(less)

Start your review of Shades of Magic Vol. 1: The Steel Prince
Victoria Schwab
Set in the years before SHADES OF MAGIC, the young, arrogant prince Maxim is sent to a violent coastal city, where he teams up with a band of unconventional soldiers to face pirates, forbidden magic, and all manner of things.
Kai
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
VICTORIA ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL ME

ITS A BLOODY PREQUEL GRAPHIC NOVEL TO SHADES OF MAGIC WHO ELSE IS HYPERVENTILATING
chai ♡
my main philosophy in life is that if Victoria Schwab is involved, my money will be well-spent
Elle (ellexamines)
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
me when this was announced:
description

me when this cover dropped:

me after reading this:
Caz (littlebookowl)
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Rating: 4.5 stars

I wish this was a little longer, I just want more!
Melanie
Mar 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommended to Melanie by: Lea (drumsofautumn)

“Here, our story begins…”

I read the entire A Darker Shade of Magic trilogy, and I ended up giving them all three stars. I am absolutely obsessed with Victoria’s mind and worlds, and her characters are truly some of the best I’ve read, but the plot and events always held me back from completely loving them. But when I found out we were going to get to learn more about Rhy’s father (adoptive father of Kell) and the events that lead him to being King, I knew I couldn’t resist. But here
Ashley Nuckles
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The art took some getting used to but it picked up FAST. I absolutely loved learning more about Maxim, and this made me realize how much I desperately need a reread of ADSOM! YAY!
Book Roast
Aug 11, 2019 rated it liked it
This was fun :) The art was beautiful and we get to explore the character we already knew and loved from ADSOM. That being said, if you did not read ADSOM this will probably be quite disappointing, but I assume this is largely targeted for the fandom.

It felt a bit like a 'bonus' episode of a show you liked. Not in a bad way at all, but I cannot rate it higher than a 3.5 stars as I don't think this would stand by its own. The story was a little cute adventure that's significant but only to the r
Hamad
This Review ✍️ Blog 📖 Twitter 🐦 Instagram 📷

A Darker Shade of Magic ★★★★
A Gathering of Shadows ★★★
A Conjuring of Light ★★★★★
Shades of Magic Vol 1 ★★★

★ As you can see from the above ratings, the Darker Shades of Magic series had its ups and downs but I loved the conclusion and since the Steel Prince was mentioned there, I wanted to know who that is and how he came to his position in that series.

★ I love graphic novels and I do read a few of these every year because I mostly spend my reading time o
Lea (drumsofautumn)
I honestly don't love the art for this, especially when it comes to close-ups of faces and fight scenes, and I also didn't find the story particularly thrilling 🙈
☆ Mira ✷
Jul 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: everyone who somehow does not know it exists
20gayteen has been beautiful, but can we talk about 20Schwabteen? Returning to Red London for a new adventure WATERED my CROPS and I am THRIVING out here.

As you all know, Shades of Magic is my main personality trait lately, god bless. It's so exciting to have something new to consume instead of fixating on the same 3 books over and over again. (NOT that there's anything wrong with that, okay?)

Honestly, I was initially disappointed that Victoria Schwab created a new 2018 Shades of Magic series—a
C.G. Drews
I was so curious to try this graphic novel series since I really loved A Darker Shade of Magic! This is a prequel, set maybe 30+ years from ADSOM, and centres around Rhys' father, Maxim -- aka the Steel Prince. His interest in the other Londons is disapproved of by his father who sends him to a dead-end town to serve for a while and humble him. But Maxim is basically your ultra Gryffindor and he immediately finds people to save. He ends up meeting a wicked Pirate Queen who he has to figure out h ...more
Maria
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
#1: 3/5. Honestly, this was. nothing special? seemed way too short somehow. definitely not enough content for me to form an actual opinion. but hey, it’s only the first issue and I’m just so happy to be back in my favorite universe! excited for more.

#2: 5/5. HELL YEAH! That’s more like it. The writing is so unmistakably Schwab, I’ve felt somewhat. homesick? reading this. I love Arisa and Isra’s characters. Soooo pumped for more.

#3: 5/5. EPIC! Major Avatar: The Last Airbender vibes! A great examp
Luc of Swords
Feb 13, 2018 marked it as bd-whishlist
Ok, this was me, a year ago, when i was reading ACOL:

Today, almost a whole year later, i've got the amazing news that THE STEEL PRINCE is actually coming on its way

Wishes come true, don't they?

JUNE, 2018 UPDATE: THAT COOOOOVEEEEEER HAS KILLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED MEEEEEEEEEEEEE MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN
Calista
This was okay. I'm very tired of the trend that they want the pace to be so fast and exciting that points are connected and things don't quite make sense. I feel like I sort of understand what has going on with prince Maxim and I sort of don't know. It might need more frames and more dialogue and, oh my goodness, maybe even more exposition. I think fantasy is losing too much exposition and things aren't set up and I'm tired of it. There can be too much and too little and both are annoying. Let's ...more
jia ✨
"you're not my type."
"let me guess, you don't like royals."
"i don't like men."

hello isra owns my whole heart.
Faith M ✨
It was basically if the Essen Tasch had blood-bending and I liked it
Taylor
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5

This was a really great start to a graphic novel series! I only wish it were longer, tbh. I can't wait for more!!
rin ( ̄ヘ ̄)	 read/watch mo dao zu shi
i said it 43093069 times but if it has victoria schwab's name on it then i have to read it even if it's a grocery shopping list
Layla (Between the Lines)
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2019
This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone but I absolutely loved this. The Steel Prince has everything I want in a graphic novel and more: Victoria's cutting words, badass characters, and beautiful artwork. I can't wait to read the next volume.
Patricija - aparecium_libri
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read the first novel, Darker Shade of Magic last year, wanted to re- read it since, but didn't since I remembered everything!! SO, for my O.W.L.s I'm using this beautiful graphic novel for my first Transfiguration subject. (Red on the cover).

I loved it. I miss this world so much, and if I understood correctly, this is about Maxim, Kells adoptive father when he was young. I loved the art, and I loved the plot, but it was indeed short, too short maybe. Now I want to devour the rest of these, bu
Zitong Ren
I mean I liked it and it was good. I don’t generally read graphic novels but I had this one and I just finished the Darker Shade of Magic trilogy so I thought I would try it. It’s honestly a pretty contained story with very little world building and exposition and everything just happened so quickly? Or maybe that’s just me as graphic novels are much easier to fly through compared to an actual novel. I had fun, really liked Isra’s character and everyone else was fine. 6/10
Mara YA Mood Reader
Mar 31, 2020 marked it as to-read
*major gasp* WHY have I not have heard of these?????????!!!!!!! I need need need!!! Ugh the library is closed for the apocalypse noooooo!!! 😭😰😱
Heidi The Reader
V.E. Schwab has penned a graphic novel about Maxim Maresh, one of the ancillary characters from The Shades of Magic series.

I was very excited to read this. The tidbits Schwab dropped about Maxim in the trilogy were enticing. We learned he had a storied past. He fought notable outlaw figures. Somehow he developed an extraordinary control of his powers, which others had not been able to mimic.

Under his reign, a certain magician opened the doors between the worlds to act as emissaries and messenger
Sana
'And one day the doors to those worlds will open... ...whether we wish it or not.'

SOOOO GOOD. I'm so freaking glad we are getting more of this world and in comic format because everything about this absolutely smashes 😭🙌👏

Maxim is such a princeling prince so I'm very much here for his journey towards gaining the title of Steel Prince and this definitely was a great starting point. (I also just wanna note what kind of dedication that Maxim wanted Antaris to be found and did 👏)

ISRA, THOUGH. MY FAVE
Jackie
Feb 13, 2018 marked it as someday-maybe
i haven’t even read adsom but i am SO READY for this graphic novel?? i mean THE STEEL PRINCE??? hello?????? it sounds so promising??
Jaime Arkin
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
can't wait for more!!
Lauren Stoolfire
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed that. It's fun to see Shades of Magic characters again and more of the Arnes. I also liked the art design especially when it comes to the action scenes and the magic. I'm not as interested in Maxim as a young man, but I certainly want to know more about Isra. I have to say that the art for magic totally reminds me of Doctor Strange and I'm perfectly fine with that.

Meagan ✊🏼 Blacklivesmatter ✊🏼Blacktranslivesmatter
Ummm so don't be deceived by the cover art. The actual art inside is nothing like the cover. It didn't work for me. I did like Maxim buuuuut there wasn't much substance to this.
Lena
Feb 13, 2018 marked it as to-read
AM I DREAMING OR THIS REAL LIFE??????

A GODDAMN PREQUEL GRAPHIC NOVEL ARE YOU SHITTING ME 😱😱😱😱😱😱😱 VICTORIA SCHWAB IS TO BLAME FOR MY QUICK AND PREMATURE DEATH.

Plus, did you know that A Darker Shade of Magic is getting turned into a movie? whaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttttttttt.
We Read Stuff: Shades of Magic: The Steel Prince - Fantasy 2 6 May 28, 2019 08:59PM

• The Near Witch (The Near Witch, #1)
  • Tunnel of Bones (Cassidy Blake, #2)
  • De thuiskomst: Het Rijk van de Ouderlingen
  • Fence, Vol. 3
  • The Ash-Born Boy (The Near Witch, #0.5)
  • City of Ghosts (Cassidy Blake, #1)
  • Fence, Vol. 2
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • Fence, Vol. 1
  • Malgré tout
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • Pumpkinheads
  • Fence, Vol. 4: Rivals
  • Ninth House (Alex Stern #1)
  • Mooncakes
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • Monstress, Vol. 4: The Chosen
  • Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle, #1)
V.E. Schwab is the name Victoria Schwab publishes her adult books under.

Victoria has stated that books published under V.E. Schwab are adult releases and those under Victoria Schwab are YA.

Shades of Magic Graphic Novels (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Steel Prince #1 (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #1)
  • The Steel Prince #2 (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #2)
  • The Steel Prince #3 (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #3)
  • The Steel Prince #4 (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #4)
  • Night of Knives #1 (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #5)
  • Night of Knives #2 (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #6)
  • Night of Knives #3 (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #7)
  • Night of Knives #4 (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #8)
  • The Rebel Army #1 (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #9)
  • The Rebel Army #2 (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #10)