Start by marking “The Evil Experiment (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #12)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Evil Experiment

Jude Watson

The Evil Experiment (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice #12)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  1,399 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
An evil scientist who bleeds her victims to death has captured Qui-Gon Jinn in order to find out the secrets behind the Jedi. It is up to his apprentice, Obi-Wan Kenobi, to save him in time.
Published (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Evil Experiment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Evil Experiment

Branwen Sedai *of the White Ajah*
"Sometimes the home you find is the one you are meant to have."

Obi-Wan and Astri race to uncover the mystery of Qui-Gon's whereabouts after being kidnapped by the brutal bounty hunters. Meanwhile, Qui-Gon must fight to stay alive while being the subject of experiments by an evil scientist.

This book was a very quick read for me due to its fast pace and intense action scenes. Although it was difficult to watch Qui-Gon suffer so much at the hands of his captor, it was refreshing to see Obi-Wan take
Alayne
Dec 27, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
Estos libros antes no eran taaaan entretenidos, pero últimamente vienen siendo muy adictivos.
Drew Ck
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Qui gon is a scientist's project to discover the Force after being captured by a Bounty hunter. Obi Wan tries to find him but is forced to leave him and take a cure to their friend, who is slowly dying due to the scientist.
Lisa
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, star-wars
I'm starting to get annoyed with these books just because to create any sort of tension the authors have to treat the Jedi as pathetic fools sometimes. The ending left something to be desired. QuiGon, Obi Wan and a third competent being couldn't take on one scientist and free the other captive? This made absolutely no sense.
Yumiyahachiman
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
She should have killed him while she had the chance
Jared
Star Wars Legends Project #52

Background: The Evil Experiment came out in February 2001. It was written by Jude Watson.

The Evil Experiment begins almost immediately after The Deadly Hunter (my review), 43 years before the Battle of Yavin and 11 years before The Phantom Menace. Didi Oddo's daughter, Astri, returns to play a major role, along with Tahl, the scientist Jenna Zan Arbor, the bounty hunter Ona Nobis, and various others from the previous book.

Summary: Qui-Gon Jinn has been taken prison
Thomas
The Evil Experiment begins moments after the end of The Deadly Hunter, with Qui-Gon abducted by the assassin that was chasing them in that book. Obi-Wan has to solve the mystery of why he was abducted, find out where he was taken, and figure out how to get him out. The book is as much a mystery as its predecessor, but isn't laid out to be so; instead, it's more a straightforward adventure as Obi-Wan is on the trail.

Also like The Deadly Hunter, this book ends on a cliffhanger, making this book pa
Bernard
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wookieerrific
For a short, faced-paced, YA Star Wars book, I must admit, I really liked this one. It was less Qui-Gon reminding Obi-Wan constantly to "mind the living force young Padawan" (or similar) and more seeing Obi-Wan come into his own. I feel like this book and the previous installment are a turning point in the series. Qui-Gon realizes he needs Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan realizes he can do this whole Jedi thing on his own (with Qui-Gon in captivity). The villains are quite sinister - not just the bounty hunter ...more
Keith Shaver
May 20, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-it
I just finished The Evil Experiment the 12th part of the Jedi Apprentice books. Overall this book delivers an interesting take on Obi-One's relationship with Qui-Gon Gin. In this book Qui-Gon awakes as a prisoner of a scientist that is using him to perform evil experiments on the force. He must wait for Obi-One to rescue him.

I liked the character development (something that is a must have for me.) There are clever character's and an intriguing sense of mystery that unfolds.

Overall I feel that th
Russell Reidelberger
WARNING: This is a nerd review.

I am trying to make my way through all of the expanded universe Star Wars books and comics. I'm trying to read them in order, using the Wookieepedia list. The number of stars I give each book is simply based on how much I enjoyed the story, not a comment on the quality of the literature.

This is getting back to the good old fashioned serials mysteries. The last couple of books have had these deep philosophical messages that are Star Wars covered issues from our own
Iset
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-wars
Well, one thing's for sure, the unsubtle title pretty much says it all. However, I liked the ongoing story of Jenna Zan Arbor within the series. Her role as (view spoiler) was revealed at last, but the story was still chock full of mystery and deduction as Obi-Wan searched for clues to find Qui-Gon. The description was good, but it could have used some more. The continuation from the last book allowed further character development. I personally enjoyed the realistic envir ...more
Jewels
Apr 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-owned
What gets me about these young adult series is how teenagers are put in charge of things. I understand giving them responsibility, but leaving a 14 year old boy -- Jedi or not -- and a girl not much older in charge of rescuing a grown adult Jedi from an evil scientist all by themselves is a bit far fetched. I understand that the age demographic that this story is aimed at will completely love this idea, and perhaps I am wrong to cast aspersions on it. I mean, at some point they have to grow up a ...more
Lorien
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: personal-library
I finally reread this, and it's a lot better than I recall. Although the title and cover are straight up terrible (talk about bad Photoshop instead of just getting a look alike), the story is great. Picking up right after the end of The Deadly Hunter, this one isn't as hard to predict. Instead the twists and turns aren't as big. But the ending is also a cliffhanger done well enough that I think I'm going to pick up my third Jedi Apprentice in one day, my fifth in the month!
Just A. Bean
So this was basically eighty pages of lovingly-described h/c in which Qui-Gon was tortured by an evil scientist and Obi-Wan hunts across the galaxy to rescue him. I don't have a single response past, "Yes. Good." Probably my favourite in the series, next to the one where Obi-Wan is almost mindwiped.
Jaime Krause
Oct 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wui-Gon has been kidnapped and learns of who holds him hostage from the start. Obi-Wan, Astri, Tahl and Yoda are on the heel of learning who the bounty hunter is, but quickly learn that Jenna Zan Arbor is the devious mind behind everything. She's actually quite a horrid person overall. And is crazy.

Astri is awesome and I'm glad we see more of her.
Jerry
Aug 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Continuing the story arc that began in The Deadly Hunter, The Evil Experiment is yet another "juvenile" Star Wars novel that would make enjoyable reading for adults as well. I don't want to give away the ending, so, I'll just say this: Make sure you have the next book handy before finishing this one.
Angela
Suitable for ages 8+ and those who have seen the films.
Qui-Gon is being experimented on by an amoral scientist. Obi wan and the jedi do not know where he is being held or how to find him. A direct sequel to 'The Deadly Hunter', you really need to read that book first. It's a fast paced story with lots of action. A good read.
Camden
Jan 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
This might have the worst title of the entire series so far and Watson set that bar pretty high.

Really enjoyed Obi-Wan angsting over whether or not Qui-Gon is dead as opposed to angsting over whether or not Qui-Gon likes/forgives him. Hopefully we never have to return to that dark place.
Tym
Better than the last book in this series this one focuses mostly on obi wan as he searches for a captured qui gon. The sudden 180 in the last pages may have been surprising but it was more annoying than a good cliffhanger.
Shawn Fairweather
More ho hum from Watson. The current Obi Wan/Qui Gon story line continues but sadly without the riveting story telling that these characters deserve. Its there to be read just don't get your hopes up.
Michael
Much better than he last book. Star Wars books tend to be much better when the main characters are separated, as they are here.
K
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.25/5
Tristan
Oct 25, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Only read part of this. Not a lot of time, but mainly didn't keep my interest so I quit.
Brendan
The plot thickens, though the main antagonist does not come off as brilliant enough to pull off what she is doing. Otherwise, an enjoyable read.
Scott Shadel
I am reading the whole series and will post a review upon completion of Jedi Apprentice 18 : The Threat Within
Jessie
Aug 25, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yay mad scientists!
pamsreading
This arc spans over 2 books! Looking forward to see how it will conclude in the next one! Truly curious about the identity of the other Force-sensitive in the facility.
Evan
May 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
This is my absolute favorite book of this series. even if you don't like star wars, the story is gripping enough to get anyone hooked.
Emma
Again, I read books in this series so my lil bro has someone to discuss them with. That is all.
  • The Rising Force (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #1)
  • Maze of Deception (Star Wars: Boba Fett, #3)
  • Crossfire (Star Wars: Boba Fett, #2)
  • Promises (Star Wars: Junior Jedi Knights, #3)
  • Vader's Fortress (Star Wars: Junior Jedi Knights, #5)
  • Renegade (Star Wars: Rebel Force #3)
  • The Life and Legend of Obi-Wan Kenobi (Star Wars)
  • The Emperor's Plague (Star Wars: Young Jedi Knights, #11)
  • The Swarm (Star Wars: Galaxy of Fear, #8)

Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Rising Force (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #1)
  • The Dark Rival (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #2)
  • The Hidden Past (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #3)
  • The Mark of the Crown (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #4)
  • The Defenders of the Dead (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #5)
  • The Uncertain Path (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #6)
  • The Captive Temple (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #7)
  • The Day of Reckoning (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #8)
  • The Fight for Truth (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #9)
  • The Shattered Peace (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #10)
“You do not recognize what truth is, so you call it a trick. That is why you are not wise, Jenna Zan Arbor. Wisdom is something you cannot identify because you cannot measure it with your instruments. - Qui-Gon Jinn” 3 likes