Start by marking “Just Take a Bite: Easy, Effective Answers to Food Aversions and Eating Challenges!” as Want to Read:

3.5  ·  Rating details ·  109 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Winner of an iParenting Media Award! Is your child a picky eater or a full-fledged resistant eater? Does he or she eat only 3-20 foods, refusing all others? Eat from only one food group? Gag, tantrum, or become anxious if you introduce new foods? If so, you have a resistant eater. Learn the possible causes, when you need professional help, and how to deal with the behavior ...more
Published January 1st 2004 by Future Horizons

To ask other readers questions about Just Take a Bite, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Take a Bite

Katherine
Mar 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
If you have a child who is a bit of a fussy eater then all the conventional wisdom out there will probably suffice and you don’t need this book. If you have a child who rules out entire food groups, who will go hungry rather than eat large numbers of food, who will lie and say he’s full rather than eat what served or who gags at the sight or smell of some foods you need this book.

My son, it turns out, is not a fussy eater he’s a resistant eater. The terms are irrelevant of course; it really jus
Guinevere
Mar 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I took a peek at some of the other reviews on this book, especially as I was surprised that the overall rating was lower than I expected. I can sympathize with some of the comments on the lay-out - I would definitely recommend reading the entire book first, and then going back through and putting together a plan that fits your particular needs. It's not a workbook-type where you go through each step of the process before reading on, and it won't work well if approached that way.

Beyond that, exce
Bree
Jul 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
First, the practical information contained in this book was good, and the tactics were often effective. The authors use brief case studies with symptom and suggestion lists to help demonstrate the way in which developmental, sensory, or medical problems may interfere with a child's ability to learn to eat a varied and healthful diet. Just Take a Bite has the potential to be quite valuable to those seeking strategies to help them solve their child's food issues.

The main complaint I have is that t
Jenny Hawley
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
After reading this book, I realize my child is not as problematic (in regards to resistant eating) as many of the children these doctors work with. However, my daughter still displays many of these behaviors, and I found this book very helpful as it gives tons of practical suggestions and strategies rather than just focusing on academic theories. It was easy to read and absorb. The only reason I gave it 4 stars rather than 5 is because I wish they had discussed age groups a little more. They oft ...more
Amanda
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book was disappointing for me. I very much enjoyed the first half, which discusses various causes of food resistant children. (Children who are more than just "picky".) There is much discussion during the first half of young children, and children who have physical, neurological, or sensory problems. However, the second half of the book- where the authors share ideas for how to help food resistant children- shared ideas that I felt would only work well for older, neruo-typical children. I c ...more
Summer
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting, nonfic
This book was excellent. Really good. I wish I read it a decade ago. I would recommend it be part of the standard books that most parents pick up, along with Dr. Sears and What to Expect.

I was enthralled reading about all the things that go on while learning how to eat. I never even considered how our sense of balance and ability to hold ourselves upright even entered into the way we sit at a table and enjoy a meal! So much we take for granted!

I also want to give a shout out to the lovely doub
Rachel Stephens
This book addresses the issues that resistant eaters and their parents only know too well. There are helpful tips and ideas that work well when reinforced. I recommend this book for any parents who are struggling to understand and gain the knowledge they need to focus on and work with resistant eating.
Kerry DellaCava
Sep 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Kerry by: Susie Dyer OT
A great book if your child has eating issues. I knew my son was more than a "picky eater". this book taught me about Resistant eaters. It was short and to the point. It gave me many pointers. It also let me know I wasn't crazy and to not force things down his throat (I had unsuccessfully tried that)
Bree
Mar 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: parenting
Increidbly clinical in the main bulk of the text. The grey boxed descriptions of individual children was the only thing that brought this to a parental level.

And overall, not much for parents of kids with GI pain issues.
M
Oct 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents of picky eaters
Might be okay for kids who are merely "picky", but not really helpful to parents of children with serious GI disorders. A lot of common sense stuff in here--just no help for those whose behavior issues are rooted in physical problems/pain in the GI tract.
Jaime
Jun 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book has been the saving grace with my son. So helpful and insightful. Recommend it to anyone who has a child who won't eat.
Sandi
Jul 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
Same exact book as "Picky Eaters" but with a different title.
Heather
Feb 03, 2009 rated it did not like it
I found this book to be very unhelpful in its suggestions (at least for our situation). Nothing we hadn't heard before.
Tiffany
Oct 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Ok for an overview. Didn't really take a lot from this. Liked the information that linked different sensory systems to eating/refusal to eat, but it was not detailed.
Electra Masterson
Gave a great overview of possible reasons/causes for food aversions but suggestions for possible treatments were a bit lacking.
Stacey
May 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: autism
One of the best books I've seen for picky eaters that wasn't simply tips about how to hide food or trick your child into eating.
Nicole
Sep 18, 2013
Heather McCasland
May 07, 2016
Sara Tye
rated it did not like it
Sep 19, 2014