Start by marking “Peaceful Fights for Equal Rights” as Want to Read:
Peaceful Fights for Equal Rights

Peaceful Fights for Equal Rights

A primer for peaceful protest, resistance, and activism from the author of Rodzilla and Pride: The Story of Harvey Milk and the Rainbow Flag.

Protesting. Standing up for what’s right. Uniting around the common good—kids have questions about all of these things they see and hear about each day. Through sparse and lyrical writing, Rob Sanders introduces abstract concepts
Published September 18th 2018 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Peaceful Fights for Equal Rights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peaceful Fights for Equal Rights

Start your review of Peaceful Fights for Equal Rights
RB
Oct 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
Inappropriate for a child. What do children need to know about ‘resisting’ and ‘striking’. Let kids be kids for a while.
KC
Great message to young people about activism through cut outs. I especially loved "take a knee" (another wonderful display of diversity)
Samantha Ania
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This came in today and it just........I'm a grown up and I really needed it, so hopefully it can inspire kids too.
Joyce Sweeney
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I wish every parent in America would buy a copy of this book. Imagine! Social change can come without yelling, insulting or destroying. How? Rob Sanders offers a beautiful, simple list, illustrated to perfection by Jared Andrew Schorr. All American families should read this one together...and let the peaceful change begin!
Mandy N
Nov 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book is absolute trash! Stop teaching your kids to be NPCs and teach them to think for themselves. ‘Taking a knee’ for social injustice, says the guy who has never ‘worked’ a day in his life!! Find a real hero, the folks whose blood, sweat and tears have built this country, or fought for this country. Make your voice be heard, get out and vote! Let them learn about Susan B Anthony or Martin Luther King Jr. people who actually had something to fight for.
Leah
Nov 04, 2018 rated it did not like it
Inappropriate content for young children.
Inge
Dec 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Any notion about this book being "appropriate" or not is preposterous. We either want children to be engaged with the world and actively participating in it, or we want to stick blinders on them and steep them in ignorance.

Beyond this, it's a fluffy, nice-to-look at picture book that could be a companion to a discussion, but actually discusses nothing.
Becky
First sentence: Assemble. Take action. Create allies. Make buttons. Make banners. Make bumper stickers, too. Boycott! Boycott! Boycott! Chant. Cheer. Call someone. Campaign. Camp out. Demonstrate. Don't give up. Don't give in. Educate. Encourage. Be fearless. Fly a flag. File a lawsuit. Have faith.

Premise/plot: This is another case of what you see is what you get. This politically-driven (or human-rights-driven) picture book isn't about any one issue or any one fight. It isn't set in the past,
Stefanie
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shake a hand. Lend a hand. Have hope. Be hope.

The art, language and diversity are inspiring. Bonus points for being a low-key alphabet book, too.
Jillian Heise
Love the way this book reads. Simple words/phrases all highlighting peaceful protest methods, which is actually done alphabet book style without saying that's what it's doing. Combined with the cut paper illustrations, it makes for a powerful read. To me it was really sending a message about being involved and active with what's happening in society. Includes an author's note at the end with more background and a glossary of key terms used in the book. There is much room to delve deeper into ...more
Kris
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Unabashedly progressive, to the point of almost feeling heavy-handed even to this progressive. There is a great message here, but there were parts that bothered me. Two entire pages devoted the the word “Pray”. Yeah, no. That detracts from the great part of this book - the DO SOMETHING message. I love the idea. I love the diversity. I am a little confused as to the target audience. Those who need this message will absolutely not read this book to their children.
Kelly
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: letters, civil-rights
A great book for the introduction of peaceful protests and standing up for what you believe in. Bonus that it is actually an very good alphabet book too.
Gordon
I think this book is fantastic! Rob Sanders's Peaceful Fights for Equal Rights does such a marvelous job of instructing children on two important levels. On one level, it is an alphabet book. Sanders has listed methods for peaceful demonstration for each letter of the alphabet (an exception is the letter X, but he's found a clever way to include it). All of the words or phrases listed are so thoughtful, and many are truly moving. The other level on which the book teaches is the obvious one ...more
Cindy Hudson
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rob Sanders’ picture book, Peaceful Fights for Equal Rights, provides a way to talk with young children about activism and how people can choose to peacefully make their voices heard to advocate for justice. It’s also a way to look at protest through the lens of the letters of the alphabet.

It starts with activities built around the letter “a”: Assemble. Take action. Create allies. Each activity can be public or private, as shown with the letter “m”: March. Mediate. Meditate. Motivate.

Cut-paper
Kylie Combs
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is just great! It is extremely accessible, and uses simple words to convey a big message. It could be used in so many different ways! Great example for nonfiction, maybe even poetry, and super easy to tie in tons of titles with!

Activities-
-Discuss alliteration and point out examples in the story.
-Find a word that might be new to you or stood out to you. What do you think it means? What do you like about it? Look it up, and draw a representation of the word.
-Create your own peaceful
Kara
Not your typical alphabet book! Written entirely in verb phrases, such as "Make buttons, make banners. Make bumper stickers, too." and "Organize. Organize. Organize. Parade. Picket. Post.", this lyrical picture book is a cross between an alphabet book and a how-to on social change. A cool intro for children growing up in an era of heightened protest and activism but I could also see this book being used as a jumping off point for a high school history unit looking at examples of how all of these ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Peaceful Fights for Equal Rights by Rob Sanders, illustrated by Jared Andrew Schorr. PICTURE BOOK. Simon & Schuster, 2018. $18. 9781534429437

BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3) - ESSENTIAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

This book is predominately a list of actions anyone can take in order to make a difference politically. The first calls to action listed are, “Assemble. Take action. Create allies.” The illustrations are all cut paper with a lot of patterns and details.

I found this book moving and
Linda
I've talked with my nine-year-old granddaughter about standing up for what’s right, what words can be used to help, to be an ally for a friend. She already knows there is much need in her world of elementary school, and in the wider world, too. This book fills, mostly alphabetically, with actions. From "Assemble. Take Action. Create Allies." to "Read, remember, resist." and finally "Be zealous." Rob Sanders's poetic text gives ideas that Jared Schorr's bold illustrations show some ideas for ...more
Kelsey
Jan 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: activism
Age: ???

Great collage artwork and an excellent premise but it is unfortunately paired with heavy-handed, monotonous, verb-driven writing.

For the classroom, this would be a hard one to read aloud to any children younger than 2nd grade. Because of the wealth of information discussed, it's best to pair this with a unit that is already discussing social justice and activism or with children that already have background knowledge about activism. I honestly wish the author didn't feel confined to an
Erik Caswell
Jun 16, 2019 rated it liked it
cute read. nothing earth shattering. think, low key, non-riotous, nonviolent revolutionary praxis for toddlers & kindergartners. yes, that is a niche, but a well-fitted one.

anyone saying it's inappropriate for young children is belligerent and usually just mad that there's a "take a knee" page on account of their own knee-jerk racism. this is a very tame, very gentle, very responsible book for kids of any age to realize--at some point some day, you're going to witness some unfair bullshit.
Mackenzi Knoll
An awesome book to be able to teach children how they can fight for what they believe in, in a peaceful way. I think that in today's day this is a book that all need to read. It shows us the importance of having an opinion and belief, but going about it and fighting for it in the right ways that make it respectful and kind to all. This would be a starting point for children to be able to tell others and reflect on their own beliefs and be able to speak up about them. You could have children ...more
Julie Kirchner
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book resonated with me tonight. It seems the perfect message for our world at this moment. The simple text accompanied by cut paper illustrations is very powerful. My favorite page is the one with the voting booths! An important reminder of the power we have to make a difference with our votes.
Kris Dersch
I really liked this. This would be a great primary read-aloud for MLK Day or anytime. Poetic and lyrical it's more than it at first seems and there are some great vocab words hear ripe for defining and discussing. I like that it encourages many many ways to be involved, from marching to prayer to voting to volunteering, giving actionable steps in what can be a scary world. Lovely.
Courtnei
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is definitely powerful, even with simple text. Even though it is written in simple text, I don't think I would read it to children younger than first grade, at least not in a class or library setting.
Aliza Werner
I love the concept, representation, and no apologies candidness. The text is lyrical, reading more like a poem. I only wish it had opened with something that let readers know what “peaceful fights” are in response to and why peaceful action is powerful.
Nadia L. Hohn
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing! I love that this book is full of action words (imperative) but is written very easily understood English. It's urgent and practical kid's guide to activism. I love the mixed media/paper illustrations. This book is one that I want to read over and over again, for me and my students.
Brian Matthews
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not quite what I was expecting, which made it even better. Lovely graphics and important messages run rampant through this book and I could easily imagine this being a great kick off for a social justice discussion for little kids, teenagers, and adults!
Allison Volz
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great use of cut paper illustrations, contemporary content ("Knit a hat. Take a Knee."), a useful glossary and end notes. This book can open up ideas for further inquiry and learning about various protest movements.
Raven Black
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is more of a 4.5 than a 4. I like it. The art is really "nifty" and cool. The story has been done before. However, it is done slightly different than usual as well. I am not sure it is really meant for kids (or if it is, at least 5 and up). It really is a more adult take on the subject.
Jake Kohlmeyer
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: s672, picture-books
I love how this story takes children through what social justice is through the fight for equal rights, and it's done in alphabetical order with most of our alphabet included. Every initiative I can think of is represented.
Moving Books between Two Authors with the Same Name 1 1 Apr 04, 2018 12:55PM

• Yo Soy Muslim: A Father's Letter to His Daughter
  • My Papi Has a Motorcycle
  • Thank You, Omu!
  • Under My Hijab
  • What Do You Do with a Voice Like That?: The Story of Extraordinary Congresswoman Barbara Jordan
  • We Are Grateful: Otsaliheliga
  • Because
  • The Day You Begin
  • Marwan's Journey
  • Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story
  • 16 Words: William Carlos Williams & "the Red Wheelbarrow"
Rob Sanders does not work as a telephone sales rep, a loading dock worker, a trophy engraver, or an editor. But he used to. Rob is not a cowboy, a ballerina, an alien, or a temper-tantrum-throwing toddler. But he writes about them. Rob is a picture book author, a writing teacher, a blogger, and a great uncle. He worked for fifteen years in religious educational publishing as a writer, editor, ...more