Start by marking “Kiss” as Want to Read:
Kiss

Kiss

Let me tell you all I know for sure. My name. Shauna.

I woke up in a hospital bed missing six months of my memory. In the room was my loving boyfriend—how could I have forgotten him?—my uncle and my abusive stepmother. Everyone blames me for the tragic car accident that left me near death and my dear brother brain damaged. But what they say can't be true—can it?

I believe th
Published January 6th 2009 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about Kiss, please sign up.
McKenzie Rae Love, in itself, is complicated. So that's a complicated question to answer.
It's twisted. All of it. The whole story is about complete and utter…more
Love, in itself, is complicated. So that's a complicated question to answer.
It's twisted. All of it. The whole story is about complete and utter confusion, and finding the truth, though it might be dangerous.
The title pertains not to a love story, as it might seem. It pertains to this habit Shauna has worked herself into, toying with and trying to figure out her giftings, seeing what works and what doesn't. And, frankly, using a kiss as a sweet weapon of some sorts.
This may all sound over-the-top---and it is---but I really do highly suggest it. I would add, "depending on what your book/genre preferences are", but I decided to skip that part. Whether it's your genre or now, I suggest you read it. Read my review, and it may help clear things up a bit. But if it helps at all, there are only two books (other than the Bible) that I liked SO much I really really really want to read all over again (I'm not one for re-reads), and this is one of them. It's simple, and not exactly fast-paced or anything, but I loved it.
If you end up reading it, tell me how you like it :) I'd love to compare thoughts.
-Kenzie

^Did that make sense at all? If not, sorry-- feel free to message me :)(less)
Catching Fire by Suzanne CollinsThe Help by Kathryn StockettCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareAn Echo in the Bone by Diana GabaldonBlood Promise by Richelle Mead
Best Books of 2009
1,645 books — 6,946 voters
Redeeming Love by Francine RiversThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisA Voice in the Wind by Francine RiversThe Shack by William Paul YoungThe Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
Best Christian Fiction
2,252 books — 2,516 voters

More lists with this book...

Alp
Oh please! What the hell did I just read?

To tell you the truth, this book wasn't totally awful. Almost the whole first half was great that I couldn't stop reading. It kept me guessing and curious what was really going on. I genuinely didn't know who the heroine could trust and it kept me wondering why the bad guys kept her alive.

B U T in the second half…

After things started to fall into place bit by bit, the more I read, the more frustrated I became! Everything in this half was off, far-fetched,
Michelle
Dekker is a master at psychological thrillers and this one is no exception. The story flowed well and I liked the result of the Dekker Healy team effort in writing this book. I loved the twists and how I wasn't really sure who was on whose side as the story progressed. The ending was perfect. There was even a touch of romance. This is one of my favorite Dekker reads. Bravo to the authors for writing a fast paced story with believable intrigue and plenty of tricks for the mind's pleasure! The spi ...more
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
I could not get into this story because I couldn't stand the main character Shauna. She was just too whiny and wimpy. I would have to describe her as the opposite of a strong independent heroine. My main example: after waking up with amnesia, she starts apologizing to everyone for what happened, even though she has no idea what did happen. How can you get behind a character like that?

I can't. And so I can't finish the book.

There does promise to be a lot of action, mystery and intrigue in the sto
Janna Ryan
Jan 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
One of the things I loved about Erin Healy collaborating with Ted Dekker was that it seemed to take the hard edge (gore) off the thriller aspect of The Kiss and made it a book that engaged me, drew me in, mystified me, thrilled me and I never felt like I had to "close my proverbial eyes". The Kiss has a very strong storyline that made me wonder and kept me guessing. Did Shauna really cause the accident that severely injured her brother? Was there a 3rd person in the car? After her waking up from ...more
Nora St Laurent
Jan 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
I have to say I was intimidated by the cover of this book. I
didn't want to read a blood and guts kind of story, or one so scary I
wouldn't be able to sleep at night. Don't judge this book by it's
cover.This is one exciting, action-filled story that doesn't dwell on
the gruesome. For that I'm thankful. It made the book so much more
enjoyable for me because it wasn't gorey. This novel reminds me of Ted
Dekker's books in his early years. I loved them. This story is
intriguing and fascinating as the plot
Janie Johnson
Sep 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
I decided on this book to go towards my A-Z challenge. I really enjoyed this one quite a bit. The book was really engaging and had me hooked right from the start. I do think it is more plot driven than anything and has a great plot line with lots of mystery thrown in.

Synopsis
Let me tell you all I know for sure. "My name. Shauna."

I woke up in a hospital bed missing six months of my memory. In the room was my loving boyfriend--how could I have forgotten him?--my uncle and my abusive stepmother. Ev
Ashley Bogner
I enjoyed this one! The premise was interesting and just when I thought I had everything figured out, the authors would throw in an unexpected twist. My main complaint is that the end seemed a bit too rushed which resulted in some too-quickly resolved or not well-explained elements (like I wish Shauna's spiritual growth had been more pronounced). I liked that this wasn't as creepy/dark as some of Dekker's other books.
Lorie
Oct 21, 2010 rated it it was ok
Ferree
Feb 05, 2011 rated it did not like it
I was shocked!
Why does Ted Dekker need a co-author? I loved "Three," and I thought "White" was unforgetable. I really respected Dekker and appreciated what he was doing for the Christian writing industry. I'm really sorry if something terrible happened to him and he needs someone to help him write a book, but these two authors did not click. They did not work well together. I really don't understand why they even tried. Why was this book published? Did the rough draft of the book get sent to th
Nicole
Feb 11, 2009 rated it did not like it
Half way through the book, I just gave up. Maybe I want it all too fast, too soon, but I hate being a reader left in the dark waiting for the very end to spotlight the plot twists and angles.

I couldn't feel for the main female character because I got tired of her vacillating. "Do I want to know?" "Do I want to forget?" If what happened to her happened to me, I'd want to remember. Far far away from the scene of the crime, but still.
Deborah Ideiosepius
This book is not %100 dreadful but it is pretty bad in a lot of ways and I found it utterly unenjoyable. I did finish it, for what that is worth, but I had to skim read and skip a lot of embarrassingly stupid parts to do it.

The plot is leaky as a sieve; our heroine Shauna wakes up after an accident with no memory of the last six months - that was the hook that drew me in, but from the start I was disappointed. The journey of discovering her memory and that things are not as they seem is denied t
Elizabeth A.
May 01, 2010 rated it it was ok
After a brief set up chapter, the story’s heroine, Shauna McAllister, is involved in a car accident that leaves her in a coma for months. Why is this relevant? Because Shauna’s father is one of the leading Presidential candidates and, prior to her accident, Shauna came upon information which, if true, would destroy everything her father has worked to create and derail his campaign.

However, after coming out of her coma Shauna finds herself suffering from amnesia; she doesn’t remember any of the p
Dana
Feb 20, 2009 rated it liked it
Bethany
Jan 22, 2009 rated it did not like it
I would hope that a book co-written by a prolific author and a fiction editor would be better written and edited. The first missing word happened on page 6 of the book! This was not an auspicious beginning.

It also bothered me that despite its setting in Austin, the authors didn't do their research very well. They repeatedly referred to the area of Austin known as Westlake as "West Lake," and they said Barton Springs was somewhere other than Zilker Park. Oops.

I get that Ted Dekker writes a millio
Steve Pillinger
An intriguing, well-written book. Erin Healy definitely works well with Ted! The two keep you wondering all the way through what really happened in the accident that robbed Shauna of her full identity. The restrained sci-fi (or fantasy) elements never go far beyond present-day reality, but add to the fascination of the book.
Christy Foss
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gripping suspense, had me guessing most of the way through, and in usual Dekker style, fantastic writing. As a native Houstonian, I did have to laugh at his obvious lack of knowledge of what we call our freeways. It’s not “the 10” or “the 610”... it’s I10 and the Loop. Little thing, but funny to me. Glad to have finally gotten to read this one. It’s been on my shelf for quite some time 😉
Steph's Romance Book Talk
Really all over the place for me. I was drawn in but then it just moved super slow. Not really my cup of tea.

This specific video review will be included in the March 2018 Wrap-up.

For other video book reviews check out my YouTube Channel: Steph's Rom Book Talk.
Tasha
Jun 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: cnf
uh...
i give up.
I dont like the main character, she'd wimpy and slow and whines so much.
The plot is guessable and im cant pick it up and when i do i just which to put it down.
So i give up.
Krita
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Weird and choppy. Couldn't connect w characters.
Ann Yarema
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Stevie
Mar 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Stevie by: grandfather
Brittany
Aug 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Kiss is a wild ride of danger, confusion, secrets and murder. When the story opens, we discover that Shauna knows something important, something that could cause a lot of trouble to people in power. We experience a horrible accident from Shauna's perspective as she and her brother travel home. Then the fun really starts. Shauna wakes from a six week coma to find that her life is a nightmare. Her brother, Rudy, is suffering from brain damage. She has a huge, gaping hole in her memory and can not ...more
Diane
Jan 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Exerpt

Let me tell you all I know for sure. My name. Shauna.
I woke up in a hospital bed missing six months of my memory. In the room was my loving boyfriend-how could I have forgotten him?-my uncle and my abusive stepmother. Everyone blames me for the tragic car accident that left me near death and my dear brother brain damaged. But what they say can’t be true-can it?

I believe the medicine is doing strange things to my memory. I’m unsure who I can trust and who I should run from. And I’m starting
Darbyscloset
Feb 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery Lovers
Shelves: mystery
I just finished “Kiss” by Ted Dekker and Erin Healy; this is the first book I have read by either of these authors. I have longed to read Ted’s writing for I love mystery and suspense and I understand that he combines these two elements within a Christian framework. The book “Kiss” is a mystery and does include quite a bit of suspense, with tones of religion sprinkled through out. A wealthy family is stretched to the seams by a father-daughter, love hate relationship. The father is running for P ...more
Monique
Sep 08, 2010 rated it did not like it
Yup I had to give this book the dreaded one star..I hated it. I thought the premise: a girl in an accident who falls in a coma, cant remember a thing and regains her memories and others when she kisses them was kinda cool but thinking again it did sound cheesy..I found this book totally unbelievable, slow and surprisingly badly written considering it was a collabo with an editor. The only plus is that I now realize I do not like reading about amnesia patients..I found the entire book to revolve ...more
Hope
Jul 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
It was an interesting concept, definitely, and I don't want to spoil it for anyone. Thrillers are hard to review that way, so I won't say much about it I guess.

I don't read a lot of thrillers, I think the only other real "thriller" I've read was The Ezekiel Option, which I really liked as well...so maybe this is a sign that I ought to read more of them? :)

I recommend this if you like a good story. By the end of the book, I genuinely hated the bad guys, and yet I felt bad for one of them. Shaun
Evelyn
Jul 04, 2013 rated it liked it
When I find myself trying to decide at which of a multitude of angles I want to focus my review on, then I know the author has fully grabbed my attention. That is where I find myself after blazing through this book. It is well written, fast paced, and thought provoking. I love that it deals with forgiveness of others while also having a message regarding viewing past mistakes with perspective rather than focusing on the pain. Were there gaps in the story that are never fully answered? Yes. Was t ...more
Steven
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book about redemption, truth, and letting go of the past is one of my favorite books EVER.

It's very different from many of Dekker's other books, and though I've not read Erin Healy's other books (they're on my list!), I feel like they made an awesome team.

With a slight touch of something special (I won't call it supernatural because it's got an explainable cause), it goes just beyond the normalcy of the typical thriller with this twist: the girl who has lost her memories can steal those of
Scott
May 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great thriller, lots of emotion and psychological tension in this book. In "Kiss," a woman wakes out of a coma with no memory of what happened in the past few months to find herself both up for trial on a drug-related car crash and with a boyfriend that she can't remember. The characters are not what they seem as she slowly gains some sinister memories and uncovers some conspiracies... Also, she develops a psychic ability that I won't reveal here! Great writing, really enjoyed this one.
T
Feb 10, 2011 rated it liked it
A mystery with bad guys, suspense, politics, family and romance. No sex, and swearing was simply written as, he swore... Loved that. Seriously it was so refreshing to not have to re-write swear words into something else in my mind while reading them on the page.
Overall, I liked it and will read others by Ted Dekker.
Goodreads Librari...: cover is in Spanish 5 161 Jan 04, 2013 07:19PM

• To Kill With Reason
  • Never Let You Go
  • Germ
  • Shade
  • The Hunted
  • Gone to Ground
  • Waking Lazarus
  • Field of Blood (Jerusalem's Undead Trilogy #1)
  • Demon
  • First the Dead (Bug Man Series #3)
  • Hangman's Curse (Veritas Project, #1)
  • Double Minds
  • Isolation
  • The Scarlet Trefoil (Tahn Dorn #3)
Ted Dekker is known for novels that combine adrenaline-laced stories with unexpected plot twists, unforgettable characters, and incredible confrontations between good and evil. Ted lives in Austin with his wife LeeAnn and their four children.
“Pain or perspective, that's the choice.'
. . .
You choose pain - you choose to fight it, deny it, bury it - then yes, the choice is always hard. But you choose perspective - embrace your history, give it credit for the better person it can make you, scars and all - the choice gets easier every time.”
80 likes
“The pain was so deep and so raw. There were days I would have died just to forget. The problem was, I couldn't figure out how to get her out of my mind. How do you kill that kind of pain?” 53 likes