Start by marking “Happy Veggies” as Want to Read:
Happy Veggies

Happy Veggies

Published October 9th 2018 by Plum Blossom

To ask other readers questions about Happy Veggies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happy Veggies

Rachel
Nov 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book had lovely illustrations and was fun and whimsical. The text, however, was kind of hard to connect with for my kiddos.
Literary Soirée
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, nature
“Happy Veggies” by Japanese artist Mayumi Oda is a joyous book for gardeners who want to share their love of the earth with children. Starting with green and purple asparagus in the Spring, the book moves festively through the seasons, showing through gorgeous illustrations how all kinds of weather combine to produce a happy harvest. The legendary artist inspires children to see the garden as a life-giving place where Nature nurtures them. 5/5

Pub Date 09 Oct 2018

Thanks to Parallax Press and NetG
Holly
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Happy Veggies is a cute book that exposes children to a large variety of vegetables and explains where they come from.

The illustrations are superb—they are realistic and vivid. And the text along with each type of vegetable is descriptive no meaningful. My favorite was the asparagus — “Spring warms the earth. Asparagus pokes it’s head out. Where were they hiding? All dressed up, in a line.” Bees, blossoms and butterflies make cameo appearances throughout the book.

Muriel
Sep 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, netgalley
A child's introduction to fruits and vegetables growing in a garden. There is not much to the text since the main focus is the watercolor pictures that fill each page. As the story unfolds you see different vegetables in growing in their season. The illustrations are bright and use neon colors, but are not precise and have a childlike unfinished quality. Happy Veggies is suitable for children under 5 years.

Note: I was allowed an advance copy of this book to review. In no way did that affect my o
Andreea
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was sent a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

Happy Veggies is a sweet book for the little ones to get to know veggies. It is really simple, but that is the charm of it. Even the simple ink illustrations of the veggies manage to capture your attention, especially when joined by the some simple verses about cabbages, radishes and more.

I think it's a great book to get kids to know and recognize vegetables, but also to understand where these vegetables are coming from, how th
Cat
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The gardener in me loves this story! I can't wait to introduce it to children who visit my home! This would be a good prelude to vegetable picking with them. I love the rhyme and all the descriptions of the veggies and their tie to Mother Earth. As a pagan, that appeals to me! The illustrations are so beautiful in their simplicity! Very nice story for little kids.
I received a Kindle ARC from Netgalley in exchange for a fair review.
Rachel
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The illustrations were stunning, created through watercolor paints. The variety of vegetables allows readers to see some items they already know, but perhaps learn about a few new ones. This is a wonderful introduction to types of vegetables and how they grow for young children.
Monique
Aug 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I am sure that this book's educational text and simple colorful paintings will appeal to very young children and give them a better understanding of where vegetables come from.

I received a copy of this book from NetGalley and the book's publisher in exchange for my honest review, for which I am very grateful.
Nika Martinez
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A simple, delighted and joyful way to teach children where their veggies come from and how they grow. The artist who illustrated the book was unknown for me, but now ive become a fan of her style. The illustrations are stunning and delicate. I would recommend this book not only to children but also to adults who like art.
Thanks to Parallax Press and NetGalley for the review copy. Opinions are fully mine.
#HappyVeggies #NetGalley
Aimee Dars
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, netgalley
In 2005, Richard Louv coined the phrase Nature Deficit Disorder. Although not a recognized medical disorder, it’s easy to see that many of us spend a significant amount of time indoors and are alienated from nature. Some studies indicate that being disconnected from nature is associated with anxiety, depression, and obesity while direct experience of nature promotes creativity, problem solving, focus, and physical health.

Long before 2005, I joined the ranks of those alienated from nature. It’s n
Abbey
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Happy Veggies is a very sweet and descriptive book, about all the vegetables in the garden.
The illustrations are colorful and creative, and the book gives a good tour through the vegetable garden.

Personally I found the final page about Buddhist spirituality a little bit incongruous after the very simple style of the book itself, but I get what they were trying to do.

Overall, great educational children's book!
Reyna
Aug 15, 2018 rated it liked it
This is important: Keep in mind that if you children read in a Kindle the colors and images won't look as they would in an ipad. Get the ipad the colors are brighter.

My honest review is bittersweet. Cute drawings, and witty lyrics, but I would not read this with my children. I have a girl who LOVES to draw, and loves fruits and vegetables, so the title of this book caught my attention.

When I received this book for my honest review I did not know the background of the author, at the end she ment
Poongothai
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Realistic illustrations of vegetables. Great book for kids to understand different vegetables and how they are grown. Prose is good.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for the eARC.
Lotusgreen
Jun 16, 2014
joyce w. laudon
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Happy Veggies is a read-aloud that teaches children about the vegetables that grow in gardens. A delightful book for little ones who may think that foods appear by magic in the grocery store. Children will learn to recognize many common veggies, including carrots, corn, radishes, eggplants, etc. The illustrations are colorful and appealing. There is a reverence for nature expressed throughout by the author. A wonderful introduction to nature's cycles and growing seasons.
Karen
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food, netgalley, childrens
So many kids don't know where vegetables come from... or even what many vegetables are. This book, with its lovely illustrations, would be a great way to introduce younger kids to gardening.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for giving me the opportunity to read and review this beautiful book. The comments are my own, unbiased opinion.
Book Snuggery
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Simple illustrations that are not too complicated but still clearly resemble the actual vegetable that they represent so a soft teaching tool for children in ID-ing veggies.

As an avid gardener and bee lover myself, I relished the two page spread of the herb garden full of bees and ladybugs.

Aside from the illustrations that instruct on vegetable appearance, there isn't too much else to learn and that's just fine. It reads like a lackadaisical summer stroll through a garden in peak bloom

"Tomato
Reyna
rated it did not like it
Aug 15, 2018
Beth
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is a great way of teaching children where their veggies come from. So many children see veggies in the store or farmer's market and do not know how they grow. I personally find the brussels sprouts to be the most interesting. The illustrations were simple but effective. It was nice it included herbs as well as the vegetables. This book could be used both in the classroom and at home.
Jenn
Oct 02, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book because I felt it was very evocative of my summers growing up, where my mother would plant a large garden and we kids would see the different plants growing and ripening at different times during the growing season.

This book definitely had an Asian-style spirituality about it, with a definite message about a harmony with Mother Nature. Perhaps in part due to this, I think it would almost appeal to adults more than children, although children can definitely learn about the li
Brenna