Start by marking “Invitation to the Blues (Small Change, #2)” as Want to Read:
Invitation to the Blues (Small Change, #2)

Invitation to the Blues

(Small Change #2)

Eight months ago Jude Lucen fled his partner, his career, and a hospital in Boston after a suicide attempt. Now back in Philadelphia, he feels like a complete failure. Piano has always been his passion and his only escape. Without it, he has nothing. Well, nothing except a pathetic crush on the most gorgeous man he’s ever seen.

Faron Locklear came to Philly look
ebook, 1st edition, 220 pages
Published March 28th 2018 by Monster Press

To ask other readers questions about Invitation to the Blues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Invitation to the Blues

Start your review of Invitation to the Blues (Small Change, #2)
Judith

One thing I've come to expect from picking up a new book by Roan Parrish is never to expect a similar story with new characters.Her books are wonderfully diverse and this is no exception.

Book two in the series ( book one is MF ), but can definitely be read as a standalone.Both characters were introduced in Small Change and if you go both ways in your books I would definitely recommend that one.I was more than a bit fascinated by Jude and,especially,Faron and was really interested in reading their story...

This one deals with mental il
Lyn
Audio – 5+++++ stars!!!
Story – 5+++++ stars!! (Read the blurb!)

Yes, yes, I know!! Another heavy and exhausting read by the very talented Roan Parrish. For me that equates to yet another PERFECT read by Roan Parrish. I loved it!! I hope this series isn’t over. There were a couple of secondary characters that stood out, and I would love to read their story.

I really, really appreciate how inclusive this author is when it comes to the cast of characters. Extra points fo
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

2-14-19

OMG!! ONE OF MY FAVORITE BOOKS IS ON SALE!! $0.99 TODAY ONLY!! I can't recommend this book enough! Go, go, go snatch up this deal!!!

---------------------------------------
***5 Stars***

2018 FAVORITE!!! ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!! This book is raw, honest and so damn beautiful. It makes me believe in love, humanity and that everything can be okay.

"Love and battle."

Full review to come once I come down from this book high.

***5
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
Once again, Roan Parrish nails it with the feels. But I must admit this one was a bit of a downer pretty much throughout the whole book.

But I liked Faron and Jude. A lot.

So while, it's not my go-to book I *am* glad I read this one. Roan's writing is worth it.

And it's always good to step out of the norm and change things up.

Sure hoping the new guy Phee gets a book! :)
Dia
4,5 stars

This one was so good! I fell hard for the writing and I highlighted a lot. So poetic and full of emotions. I loved it!

I've also read the Middle of Somewhere series by this author and enjoyed all the books. But Invitation to the Blues was pretty different, as one of the main characters suffers from depression and anxiety.

It's the second book in the series Small Change but can be read as a stand-alone. The beginning was super slow paced and I'm not really a fan of slow burn romance, BUT when
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

***5 Stars***

"Love and battle."

Full review to come once I come down from this book high.

I played. I drifted from piece to piece and movement to movement because it didn't matter. Faron's arms held me tight, and he pressed kisses to my back every now and then. Sometimes he hummed along and I felt the vibration up and down my spine. Mostly, he drifted with
Ele
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
"I don't want you out of generosity. Or because I'm some kind of angel or savior. I want you because something inside you vibrates just so with something inside me"...

What a beautiful love story. Heavy subject and tons of self loathing but delivered in a way that doesn't overwhelm the reader. The angst is just so, and the romance is always, always present. Great surprise.
"Your battle and your love re the same to me, Jude."

P.S. But why does the cover model have short hair?
Elena

I’m starting to think I might have outgrown this author, which sounds ridiculous, because I’ve read maybe 4 books by Roan Parrish, not nearly enough to have something to outgrow.
It’s the only explanation I can find, though. I really liked In the Middle of Somewhere and Out of Nowhere is one of my favorite books. The other two books (included this one) I’ve read this year, though, have left me pretty indifferent.
The writing is always good, the characters (mostly) well rounded, their struggles an
.Lili.
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m

Invitation to the Blues:

beautiful, sensual, sad, real, but above all full of hope.

4.25 Stars
Santy
Okay. Damn. Roan Parrish. *slow clap*

This was fantastic.

It wasn’t an easy read primarily because of the thoughts that went through Jude’s head. These ranged from self loathing to borderline suicidal and was very tough to read sometimes. Also, since this book was solely in his POV, it was 100% undiluted.

He was also working through rebuilding his relationship with his family and trying to be better overall. So it wasn’t all doom and gloom; especially where Daniel and Ginger were conc
Tolk
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Light in the darkness

How can a book that deals with such a difficult subject matter feel so light? There is so much hope in it. So much understanding. A rope down the well to help you back out when there's no hope left. Sigh.
Amanda

This is a slow burn romance between Jude, a depressed pianist and Faron, a tattoo artist. Jude is in his mid-thirties and his life is still a mess. He left his asshole boyfriend and his job in a symphony to head back to his hometown where he reunites with his family and met Faron. I have read some stories about depressed hero before, which is much more angsty and sad compared to Jude. From Jude's state of mind from his POV, I don't feel all doom and gloom. He is self-depreca
Melissa
This was so, so GREAT! I have been looking forward to Faron's story since he was introduced and I am very happy with his story. The relationship between Faron and Jude was so special, and it felt so real. I was worried that once Jude got together with Faron, all his problems would magically disappear. That didn't happen. Jude was still just as messed up as he always was, but now Faron is there to help. They are great together. What else is there to say? Daniel and Rex make a cameo, which was awe ...more
Eugenia
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stunning!!! 4.5 Stars!!!

.....I absolutely LOVED this book! The quality of writing was glorious: descriptive, evocative, and, at times, lyrical. It was a pleasure to absorb the words on the page and delight in the images and sounds my brain made of them. GLORIOUS!!

The characters had DEPTH! Jude, our pianist struggling with severe depression was so roundly depicted, that I could feel and hear him. I knew him. I knew his flaws and fears and felt them with him. Marvelous!

Far
Lovinghotbooks1
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, kindle
*I was gifted this ARC and freely give my review of it*
************💙❤***********
This book truly ripped me open and a lot of the reason is that I can relate to Jude’s challenges with anxiety. I cried and read, cried a little more, read again and cried and so on.......
I loved it❣

This is some of the reasons why (I can’t say all I want because of spoilers):

* Excellent storyline
* Characters that came alive and emotionally wrecked me, most of all because I can relate to
namericanwordcat
4.5 Stars!

I love Roan Parrish languid, lyrical and emotionally dense writing of character driven romances that allow hope, sorrow, and joy in the very human conditions of us all.

This book is a wonderful showcase of her talent as we watch Faron and Jude fall in love.

They are both artistic, talented men who feel deeply. Jude in his cycles of depression and recovery from an abusive relationship is lovingly and compelling depicted. As are all his relationships.

As Jude sits at the cent
Skye Kilaen
This quiet, deep M/M book is a falling-in-love story between depressed musician Jude and laid-back painter and tattoo artist Faron (POC, yay!), with #ownvoices mental health rep. Jude has a lot of internalized self-loathing around his depression, even though he's not at his lowest point, but to me the overall arc of the book is how finding someone who truly accepts you can help support you in continuing to do the work of helping yourself. I like how it pushes back on the gross adage that no one ...more
Ashleigh | Wild Heart Reads
Heart-wrenching and utterly gorgeous, Invitation to the Blues is Roan's strongest and best book yet.

It tells the story of Jude Lucen, Christopher's brother, as he attempts to get back on his feet. Jude suffers from depression, something that isn't glossed over. For as beautiful as this book is it was also hard one at times because my own experience with depression so closely echoes Jude's. And because this is written in Jude's perspective it's heart-wrenching to watch him suffer. I had to put t
River
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, arcs
4.5

I was a bit wary going into this story because a lot of things were happening that had nothing to do with the book but I was afraid it was going to affect my enjoyment of the book.

I shouldn't have worry because if there's one thing Roan knows how to do is write stories that steal your heart and make you invest all your feelings in them. This was completely the case with Invitation to the blues for me.

The narrative was beautiful as usual, the way Roan makes you see their characte
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
I finished this yesterday and I feel a bit of a loss to be honest.

I'd like to see a little bit more maybe. I'm just not ready to let Jude and Faron go.

So, I'm the first to admit I don't necessarily like all that much realism in my romance books. I mean, I'm not here for what I get in real life, you know? But Roan's books most of the time do deal with real life shit and I seem to love it.

This book was a little scary. I've been depressed. Not diagnosed or medica
Talia Hibbert
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Top 5 romance of all time. I WILL NEVER BE THE SAME
natalie
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
TW: discussions of attempted suicide.

This book was jus beautifully written which not surprising because that's what Roan does. Her words always grip you and jus never let go.
I loved that Faron loves Jude as he was, even as he was honest with him about things. He never tried to change Jude or make him feel bad for his depression and anxiety.
The way they each interact with their art and music respectively was just so lushly described !! I dont know how Roan just perfectly captur
Caz
I've given this an A+ for narration and a B+ for content at AudioGals, so I suppose that's 4.5 stars rounded up.

I suppose it was a given that a book written by Roan Parrish and narrated by Greg Boudreaux was going to hit me squarely in the feels; the author’s beautiful, lyrical writing combined with the narrator’s ability to zero in on and convey every single bit of emotion in that writing is a match made in audiobook heaven. Invitation to the Blues is a gentle and moving love story featuring a
Nat ReadingAllNite
I’m not sure how many times my heart broke for Jude. I’m so grateful my depression isn’t the level of his in the story. Mine’s bad enough and thinking of that sort of suffering, exacerbated by his toxic ex-boyfriend, was so hard to read. Then I had to wonder if the author suffers from similar issues to understand it so well and I truly hope not.

Anyway, this was the sort of hurt/comfort that makes a truly glorious romance. Faron was exactly the man that Jude needed, at the right time. I kind of
Snjez
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: re-reads, audiobooks
Audiobook re-read:
Greg Boudreaux was great, but tbh I enjoyed the story less than the first time I read it. I would rate it 3.5 stars now.

************

Original review:
Beautiful story with amazing main characters. I loved both of them so much.

Also loved seeing the characters from previous books, including Middle of Somewhere series.
Queerly Reads
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gay
This review can also be found at www.queerlyreads.com

Last November, during an initial psychological assessment, I told my new therapist that I had a history of dysthymia. But I’d dealt with that years ago in a different therapist’s office; I wasn’t depressed anymore. Later, she said something like, “...as someone who has depression, such as yourself…” and I was all, wait, no, back up, I don’t have depression, I used to have it.

Which is how I learned that depression isn’t something you cure; it’
Joyfully Jay
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

Invitation to the Blues is the second book in Roan Parrish’s fabulous Small Change series, focusing on the staff at the Small Change tattoo shop. This series also takes place within the world Parrish created in her Middle of Somewhere series and connects most directly to In the Middle of Somewhere, my favorite book of that series and I book I totally adore in general. I’ll say that you could read this one as a stand alone as Jude and Faron are new MCs. However, b
Jinni
i received an electronic copy from a novel take pr in exchange for an honest review.

this book deals with a character with depression so a lot of the topics in the book deal with that too.

it's very difficult for me to try and talk about this when it comes to the depression representation but i'll try.

i felt jude's ache. the bits and pieces of how the world kind of closed up on him. how he couldn't even do what he loved anymore. how those feelings came out of nowhere and h
Bookgasms Book Blog
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: missy
Sometimes I am lucky enough to read a book that really touches me and makes me think about all the great things I have going in my life. Invitation to the Blues is one of those books. It's brilliant, amazing, thought provoking, smart, sexy, sad, happy . . . and just over all fantastic.

I felt like I immediately connected with Jude. I wanted to hug him, feed him, love him, counsel him, listen to him, console him, and just be with him. And the funny thing is, Jude would want absolutely none of that! No, se
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given a copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

This is a slow, sweet and sometimes angsty story of a relationship between a musician and an artist. After a suicide attempt, Jude can’t face returning to his life in Boston and his job playing for the Boston Symphony Orchestra. He is adrift in his hometown when he meets Faron, an artist who has struggles of his own.

Jude and Faron have a wonderfully sensuous connection from the start. Jude is hesitant, wary but also
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Kitto (Tyack & Frayne, #4)
  • A Deeper Blue (Rules of Possession, #2)
  • One-Eyed Royals (Seven of Spades, #4)
  • Dangerously Happy
  • The Bible Boys
  • Where There’s Smoke (Criminal Intentions: Season One #6)
  • Rough Trade (Woodbury Boys #3)
  • The Christmas Fling (Christmas Town, #1)
  • Home (Camassia Cove, #1)
  • Beautiful Losers
  • Rented Heart (Rented Heart, #1)
  • Syncopation (Twisted Wishes, #1)
  • Whitewater
  • Where There's Smoke
  • Pisces Hooks Taurus (Signs of Love, #4)
  • The Impossible Boy
  • Lima Oscar Victor Echo and The Truth About Everything
  • Blue Eyed Stranger (Trowchester Blues, #2)
Roan Parrish lives in Philadelphia, where she is gradually attempting to write love stories in every genre.

When not writing, she can usually be found cutting her friends’ hair, meandering through whatever city she’s in while listening to torch songs and melodic death metal, or cooking overly elaborate meals. She loves bonfires, winter beaches, minor chord harmonies, and self-tattooing.

Small Change (2 books)
  • Small Change (Small Change, #1)
“I made my father uncomfortable. He loved me, no doubt. But love without intimacy is lonelier than indifference.” 0 likes
“It was an almost absurd way to summarize a year-long process of sinking that happened so slowly the ooze was up to my waist before I knew I was mired in it. But there was no narrative to these things, no logic or explanation. No code or symbology. I wished there were. The formlessness was its own kind of death. He looked at me for a while then” 0 likes