Start by marking “Why Social Media is Ruining Your Life” as Want to Read:
Why Social Media is Ruining Your Life

Why Social Media is Ruining Your Life

Katherine Ormerod, journalist and social media mogul, is here to burst the Instagram bubble and discuss the real effects of social media 'perfection'.

The internet has set destructive standards of flawlessness and comparison. We're working so hard to live up to these new benchmarks that we're burning ourselves out, and we're working so hard to maintain them that we're self
Published October 16th 2018 by Cassell

To ask other readers questions about Why Social Media is Ruining Your Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Social Media is Ruining Your Life

Start your review of Why Social Media is Ruining Your Life
Nenia ⚔️ Queen of Villainy ⚔️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Click-bait title aside, social media is becoming a huge dependency for some individuals. In a society where many of us are feeling increasingly isolated and despairing, living your life through a screen and celebrating conspicuous consumerism act as a balm for both loneliness and personal inadequacy. It's chillingly reminiscent of the soma used in Aldous Huxley's BRAVE NEW WORLD, which kept the oppressed population subdued and pacific.
Chelsea
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Wasn't personally for me, I think it was more meant for those who actively post on social media and compare their lives and looks to others through it. That's not really where my issue with social media is. For me the issue is more the whole data situation, manipulation tactics, and behavioural addiction.
Kirsty
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sure, it has a clickbait-y title, but get past that and Katherine Ormerod is just as ambivalent about social media as the rest of us. We want the good parts of it but not the bad, and we don't want to accept that we can't pick and choose (she says, on Goodreads, which is social media). I learned a lot from this, and realised that there's still a lot for me to understand.
Hollie
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Really enjoyable overall and appreciated the various topics that Katherine touched on.

One quote has really stood out to me from this and has left me pondering:
"Maybe, just maybe, we'll be able to leave our distructive habits behind and enjoy social media for what it is: the best 1 percent of our lives, with the real stuff, the other 99 per cent, hidden for only our real friends to discover."

What if that was the case?!
Charlotte
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars - great topic presented in a well structured and well researched way. Working in social media (and being a keen reader on the topic!) means that a lot of this was “old news” for me, but enjoyable nonetheless. Would definitely recommend to people who want more insight into the impact of social media in the current world.
Marie
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: media
"The six key components of addiction: salience (how deeply ingrained is your smartphone in your life), tolerance (are you checking your accounts endlessly?), euphoria (the excitement you get before or after you use your cell phone), conflict(is your phone causing trouble in your life or relationships?), withdrawal symptoms (do you opanic when separated from your phone?), and relapse (have you tried to cut back and failed?)"

"Data confirmed by Apple indicates that the average user unlocks their ph
Holly Pigache
Feb 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book was chosen for book club and I found it very basic. It was everything we already read about online and hear about in the news, but with some research and tonnes of personal experience thrown in. What a shame.
Anna Cano
Aug 06, 2019 rated it liked it
I expected more depth regarding the use normal people make of social media; I found it to be too influencer-focused. However, I very much enjoyed the chapter about motherhood and the way research is presented.
Ietrio
Dec 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: junk
Fear the new. Fear anything as long as Ormerod is getting his pay check.
What Niki Reads
Nov 06, 2018 rated it liked it

I nodded along a lot while listening to the audiobook for this book. I think generally it is structured really well and addresses the most relevant topics in an overall balanced way. It gives you a decent overview of how social media developed over time and Katherine is a good narrator. This book isn’t trying to catastrophise social media (which I appreciate) and tell you to quit it entirely but it is inviting you to be more aware of how and how often we rely on social media and to not be a pass
sæfaɪɚ
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: social-media
This book felt like... a cup of coffee with a friend who, despite having utterly different lifestyles, I am totally vibing with. She broke things down beautifully, by chapter:

1. Social media is ruining your identity.
2. Social media is ruining your body image.
3. Social media is ruining your health.
4. Social media is ruining your relationships.
5. Social media is ruining motherhood.
6. Social media is ruining your career & money.
7. Social media is ruining your politics.
8. Social media is changing
Megan Dickson
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Informative, balanced and well researched as well as interesting to read. Ormerod brings her own experiences and observation into the narrative to engage readers and personalise the book. Could not recommend enough.

The book is filled with some eye-opening insights into our concerning reality that is increasing dominated by social media and also ends by exploring some worrying predictions for how our lives will continue to be affected by this in the future. This book injects fierce debate with al
Kitten Kisser
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is from a UK feminists point of view. She presents a very real & relatable reality for how social media is affecting women's lives, from birth to death.

She breaks down how social media affects our identity, body image, health, relationships, motherhood, career & money, and politics. Deep down I think a lot of us already know these things to be true, but having someone spell it out & even provide data proving it, is pretty eye opening.

Women make up the majority on social media. I alwa
Meneesha Govender
Dec 04, 2018 rated it liked it
I spend a huge amount of time on social media … for myself as well as the numerous clients I work for. There is no real cut off for me. The first thing I reach for when I open my eyes in the morning is my cellphone. The last thing I look at before I fall asleep is my Instagram feed. So, when this book landed on my desk I was a bit apprehensive. Could I be ruining my life?
Why Social Media is Ruining Your Life tackles the endless, unforgiving culture of comparison and perfection that we pursue onl
Rosie Aylard
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Despite the slight clickbait-esque nature of the title, this book provides an excellent insight into the true impact of social media on modern life. It’s packed full of statistics and studies, interwoven with Ormerod’s personal experiences and testimonies from real-life ‘influencers’. The book is structured into chapters analysing different areas of our lives that are affected by social media - ie Why Social Media is Ruining Your identity/health/career etc. At the end of each chapter, Ormerod su ...more
Sharon
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a well laid out book that covers a lot of information and how it generally effects the regular person on a day to day basis. Social media has become a huge part of our lives and unfortunately, it’s quite often having a negative impact on us rather than a positive one. Instead of looking at our local community and comparing ourselves or judging ourselves on who we live near we are now able to do the same thing but with a lot more people all over the world. It’s definitely a book that make ...more
Becky Slingsby
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must read for all ‘social media addicts’ aka all millennials and Gen-Z on the downsides of social media, and how it affects all elements of life from health, to work, to relationships and body image. Each chapter tackles a different element, and although I was aware of the negatives of social media, some of the stats and data in the book really open your eyes. Whilst it can be a bit of a negative read, it gets the point across. The key takeaway? What you see on social media is not real life, a ...more
Jordan
May 12, 2019 rated it liked it
The title of this book is pretty jarring and almost kept me away, but the content within the pages is well-researched and the author makes a lot of good points.

I did find her to be a bit self-indulgent in some of the chapters and I found that much of her personal experiences weren’t tied directly to the research claims she curated. I also am a bit skeptical of her current social media presence, which is very active and goes against much of what she advocates for in her own work.

The best part o
Sinead
Jul 26, 2020 rated it liked it
I didn’t learn anything new from this book, though it was a good summation of the downsides of social media. I also felt it was tailored more for influencers that were feeling burn out from alway being online, rather than regular consumers of social media. I would have preferred more actionable ideas / strategies of how exactly to cut down my social media consumption. But I guess because the author uses social media for her business, the goal of the book isn’t abandonment of social media.
Hannah Bee
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have to say I enjoyed this far more than I thought I would. Written by someone I personally follow on social media I wondered if it would be self indulgent or two-dimensional but it’s anything but. Well-researches and intelligently written, a great read for those of us who use and consume social media which nowadays is pretty much all of us!
Kim Childress
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Must read! Reading now, absolutely excellent, a subject of great importance. Social media = good and bad. New norms mean kids must learn pros and cons as young as first viewing of TV, games, etc. I work in media, highly recommend. #AdultInterest #SocialMedia #ProsAndCons #MustRead #Parenting #Educators #WhySocialMediaIsRuiningYourLife #KatherineOrmerod #OctopusBooks #HatchetteBookGroup #Sept2018
Naomi Spratt
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very interesting read. There's so much psychology involved in the whole social media circus. Who knew that people are actually taking selfies in Ikea bedroom set-ups and pretending that it's their home?! Bizarre. Definitely makes you think twice about your online behaviour. I'd already changed my behaviour prior to reading this book and I'm glad about that!
Amalinaab
May 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s a wonder how so often we’re blind to what’s in front of us. We follow the crowds simply because everyone is doing it. Of course, we can only learn AFTER it has happened. So here’s all of it in a form of a book. Your awareness on how social media infiltrate our lives will heightened as you read through every pages. Get ready for a detox 💆🏻‍♂️
Hannah
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although very interesting I found it a bit difficult to read with motivation. I did download the audio book and found it much more enjoyable to hear the facts and figures along the way making it much more digestible
أفضال
This book was interesting and an eye-opening.
I liked how the author includes solutions ( the key takeaway) at the end of each chapter and enjoyed reading her personal experiences.
Dislike: too many research, studies, and statistics are mentioned in the book.
Amber Richards
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
I didn’t actually finished the book which is unlike me to do. I found I was really struggling to get through it and it felt as though it was aimed more at “influencers” than normal every day users or social media.
Yates Buckley
Oct 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: curious
Interesting points but intensely focused on a female reader audience, and even there filtered toward a particular female audience that is heavy user of social media for self documentating, selfies and the like.

I think the title should really be changed to reflect this very specific target reader.
Minni
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Dnf at about 30%

I couldn’t relate to this book. I experience social media in a different way than the author so it was a struggle to pick it up and continue reading.
I don’t say it’s a bad book, it just wasn’t for me.
Patricia
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hayden
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
After listening to a really interesting interview with Katherine Omerod on the 'Ctrl Alt Delete' podcast, I immediately walked into town to pick this book up. Contrary to the title, 'Why Social Media Is Ruining Your Life' isn't about completely ditching technology all together. Apparantly it's not that easy in a world that is becoming increasingly reliant on it. But it's about spotting the problems and finding solutions. Some of it is really obvious and information I already knew - like how Snap ...more

• The Multi-Hyphen Method: Work less, create more, and design a career that works for you
  • What Would the Spice Girls Do?: How the Girl Power Generation Grew Up
  • Pretending
  • An Edited Life: Simple Steps to Streamlining Your Life, at Work and at Home
  • Money: A User’s Guide
  • How to Fail: Everything I’ve Ever Learned From Things Going Wrong
  • Feminists Don't Wear Pink (And Other Lies): Amazing Women on What the F-Word Means to Them
  • How To Break Up With Fast Fashion