Start by marking “Oculum” as Want to Read:
Oculum

Oculum

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  16 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
The new middle-grade dystopia from award-winning children's author, Philippa Dowding
As far as Miranda1 knows, there is one world: Oculum. Its dome, its walls and its garden are all there is. That's what the residents have been taught since birth. But William1 shows her something: a door in Oculum's wall. And if there is a door, there must be something on the other side...

W
Published September 1st 2018 by Dcb

To ask other readers questions about Oculum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oculum

Karen Upper
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was totally speechless!!
To be honest, I know dystopian genre is everywhere these days, but this narrative was so refreshingly original!!
From the flow of the scenes, alternating viewpoints and the intertwining of characters....of this culminating in H.O.P.E. This is a terrific middle grade tale .... wholly approachable and engaging for not only those struggling readers keen on dystopian literature, but also for new readers to this genre.
A brilliant, outstanding imaginative tale that I highly re
JoAnne Richards
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I was truly engaged in this story. The dystopian world setting just came to life. Truly awesome story with wonderful characters including the dogs. I hated that it had to end. Left me wanting more.
Carolyn
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed this book from beginning to end.
Monica
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This story was so well constructed, and the characters were captivating. I highly recommend this middle-grade dystopian novel, a genre Philippa Dowding has conquered.
Summer
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Miranda 1 and William 1, are the eldest of one thousand children growing up in a dome full of fruit trees, clean air, and zero death, unaware that life is going on outside the dome, and that maybe they should be a part of making it better, until one of them discovers a door.

Meanwhile, on the outside, environmental damage and sickness reigns, Mannfred, and his makeshift family have never tasted fruit and they’re all too familiar with death, but new life, a move that draws them to the curiosity th
Sam
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the best middle grade science fiction I have read. As a science teacher it's hard to find books that with both the science message and a great plot. My students wanted to discuss and share their thoughts and opinions. The story takes you in directions you won't expect and the ending does not disappoint.
L.T. Getty
May 03, 2018
Jaida
Oct 12, 2018
Philippa Dowding
Mar 06, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Anita
Aug 14, 2018
Brenda
added it
Nov 13, 2018
Award-winning children's author, poet, musician, copywriter. Philippa's books have been nominated and commended for literary awards across Canada, the U.S. and Europe, including the Diamond Willow, Hackmatack, Silver Birch Express, Red Cedar and Red Maple awards. Her third book, The Gargoyle at the Gates, was named a White Raven Book, by the International Youth Library in Munich.

In 2017, her midd