Start by marking “Being You” as Want to Read:
Being You

Being You

Award-winning author and professor Alexs Pate delivers a message of hope and self-discovery in a time of uncertainty in our world. YOU is a beautiful picture book celebrating every readers' individuality and talents. With an authentic voice, YOU's poetic message of love and optimism for the future speaks directly to today's children. YOU helps us to see the wonder and ligh ...more
Published August 1st 2018 by Capstone Editions

To ask other readers questions about Being You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Being You

Annese
I have mixed feelings. Things I enjoyed: the art, the author's intention for writing the book, and his work with Innocent Classroom. However, I feel the text of the book didn't express that intention clear enough.

Mary Lee
Sep 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Great idea behind the message, but the writing falls flat for me.
Barbara
Filled with positive messages that push against some of the negative messages and stereotypes many youngsters may encounter, this picture book follows a boy and a girl as they navigate the world. Not only are both reminded that others might ignore them or lead them to think they don't matter or that they don't have choices, that is simply not the case. The text and illustrations encourage readers to look past what is visible on the surface, past those angry, sullen faces or that tough demeanor t ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Being You is a book of encouragement to children to share who they are with others, a book of encouragement to educators to find the strengths of all children. The book has beautiful illustrations that perfectly capture the depths of children's moods, written with poetic language that magnifies.
Lisa Mcbroom
Jan 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: inspiring-books
Inspiring book on looking past labels.
Willa
Jul 22, 2018 rated it did not like it
Ok, this is a Goodreads giveaway book I won thinking it would be good form y granddaughter. After reading it though, I'm really not sure I'll give it to her. The artwork looks appropriate for her age, but the writing strikes me as something else. I don't think I'd call it depressing exactly, but I really don't find it encouraging either. It appears to be writting for young children trying to find their place in the world, but it seems to make the world, self identity and life in general sound ev ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Being You by Alexs Pate, illustrated by Soud. PICTURE BOOK. Capstone, 2018. $18. 9781684460212

BUYING ADVISORY: EL - OPTIONAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: LOW

I am so unsure about the new crop of books whose aim to just celebrate children. It’s not the celebrating part I mind – it’s that the books have little use past one reading. There is no story to latch on to. No path. I do love Soud’s textures – as art there are some very admirable techniques. The writing, however, is inconsistent --- sometimes sentences,
Helen
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This is a powerful book that sends an important message to children that they are free to be themselves. I think it also serves a realistic dose of perspective to any adults who might be lucky enough to enjoy this book with a child that that’s exactly who they are - children, and we are in their lives to help guide them through the difficult times. I really enjoyed the beautiful illustrations in this book as well. Thank you, NetGalley, for the ARC!
Effie
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a wonder. It's incredibly empowering and uplifting. I think the language in the book is beautiful and the message is encouraging and good to hear for anyone of any age. Alexs Pate has put out a loving guiding hand to kids to recognize their own good and make choices about who they want to be. So encouraging!
Katie Reilley
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received an advanced reader copy of Being You from Capstone Publishing to share with my #bookexpedition group. It’s a gorgeous text that centers around choice. Kids can either accept the labels that others assign to them, or they can let their inner self shine and connect with others who see their value. This text celebrates every individual’s talents through a message of hope. Pub date is 10/1. I will definitely be reading as a #classroombookaday next school year. ...more
Ben Truong
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Being You is a children's picture book written by Alexs Pate and illustrated by Sound. It is a book with a message of hope and self-discovery for children in the uncertainty of the world.

Pate's text is simplistic, straightforward, and rather poetic. It is a wonderful reminder that children should always be free to achieve their greatness – despite or in spite of what the world could throw at them. Sound's illustrations are phenomenally well depicted – simply put the illustrations are outstanding
Alison Deagan
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think this book is written really well in order to encourage all students. Many students now feel as if they may never accomplish certain things or that they won't be great or good enough because of what other people say. This book explains how kids need to be open when looking out into life and not being what other people want them to be and not being what people say about them. This book explains to children that they have their own voice and they are who they want to be and not what someone ...more
Carla Johnson-Hicks
I often hear comments about "the youth of today" all be lumped together because one person has done something to irritate, aggravate or hurt someone. This book is a perfect antidote to that sentiment. All people, children and adults, are unique and special. The book deals with stereotypes, particularly with children of colour, and encourages the character to rise above, they are more than that. I love the cadence of the text and the poetic nature of it. The illustrations are wonderful and very r ...more
Wanda C
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Being You is a great read. I like the technique used by the author who speaks of eyes, choice, birds... The words are so well thought out and written that my young family read along with me. The lessons, the ideas, the concepts are so positive and energetic that even I, an adult, absorbed and enjoyed them.

Based on a five-star rating, I give it five stars!
1) Buy from the author in the future? Yes
2) Did it keep me intrigued? Yes
3) Storyline adventurous, mysterious, and believable? Yes
4) Would I re
Diane
"If there was a sign on your chest, what would it say
If it told your story
If it said who you were."**

This book is all about helping students realize that they are more than the negative stereotypes that they often see and hear about themselves. They don't have to be tough and they can reach out to others. They can choose how the world sees them ... what "sign" they have on their chest. A powerful reminder for those of us who work in field of education.

**Quotes taken from an Advanced Readers Copy
Amanda
You ever read something and think to yourself, "Wow. The author is trying SO HARD here to make something VERY WORTHY and for a VERY WORTHY cause, and the POWER of ALL that WORTHINESS is just...taking the words and putting such weight into them that the message is a bit lost in all of that HEAVY WORTHY wordiness?
Lorie Barber
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A must in every classroom & written by the author of Amistad, this beautifully illustrated picture book reminds kids that they can achieve greatness by rejecting negative labels thrust upon them by others. A #classroombookaday once it published in October. Many thank to Capstone Publishing for sharing this important book with #bookexpedition.
Rachelle
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a book about looking past the negative stereotypes or definitions others have placed on you. It is about finding love for yourself through knowing yourself.

I love the diversity in this book. The illustrations are gorgeous! It's written in a poem format and that could be great for discussing poetry in the classroom.
Lynn
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’d like to hear the author read this book as I feel I’m missing some of the message. I understand the general intent, but it doesn’t flow for me. I thing younger students would have some trouble understanding some of the metaphors.
Rebecca
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Every child should be able to love and accept themselves as they are. The message of loving yourself is so necessary with all of the negativity children face from so many places. A beautiful message with gorgeous illustrations! A must have for the classroom or home!
Amy Nicole
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book would be such a great conversation starter emotionally for its content as well as academically for its rich use of language and poetry. It had a lot of heart and I love that it doesn't feel like it's talking down to kids. This feels like it would fit well for upper elementary.
Elisabeth
Nov 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Great intention behind it but I can't help think how much more powerful it would be if Pate teamed up with someone to bring about a stronger narrative. I also can't help think this is going to seem awfully dated several years from now.
Lori
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As an educator, I was so happy to recieve this book as an addition to my classroom library. It is a beautiful book with a wonderful message. I think Innocent Classroom is doing such important work and look forward to see its future growth.
Kathy Iwanicki
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Would make a wonderful first week of school book. It is about being your best!
Noor
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am...
Social comprehension.
Tammy
This is a beautiful poem that pushes against stereotypes and low expectations. It speaks to readers about defining yourself rather than having society define you.
Raven Black
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Lovely illustrations
Desiree
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a wonderful way to explain the problems of labels to kids. The kids in this picture book are reminded that they don't have to accept the labels that other people put on them.
Susan Sullivan
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
A picture book that explores individuality and the choice to be who you are.
Tracie
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
"... written as a reminder that children should always be free to achieve their greatness. Their paths should be open, not blocked by negative images and generalizations about them."

• Hands Up!
  • Don't Touch My Hair!
  • My Hair is a Garden
  • Rock What Ya Got
  • Mommy's Khimar
  • We've Got the Whole World in Our Hands
  • The Field
  • All of Us
  • Grandma's Tiny House: A Counting Story!
  • Memphis, Martin, and the Mountaintop: The Sanitation Strike of 1968