Start by marking “Dodge City” as Want to Read:
Dodge City

Dodge City

(Dodge City #1-4)

Dodge City is a YA sports comedy about making sense of a chaotic world and growing up against the insane backdrop of competitive dodgeball, told through the eyes of oddball Tomás and his teammates.

Life comes at you fast, but dodgeballs come way faster! Tomás is a teenage misfit, but when he joins the Jazz Pandas dodgeball team, he's thrown into a family of oddballs and out
Published November 6th 2018 by BOOM! Box (first published October 31st 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Dodge City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dodge City

Rod Brown
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
I like the diverse cast and the cartoonish art, but the story is too slight with a negative ending that feels incomplete, as the creator obviously hopes for a sequel to address all the open issues.
Adam Stone
There have been a few really wonderful stories about growing up and inclusivity using sports as a narrative in the last couple of years. Fence by C.S. Pacat, and Check Please by Ngozi Ukazu being the best of the bunch. Each of them tells an interesting story that happens to involve sports. Fence is a cool look at classism and gender-attraction, and Check Please is about accepting your queer self and teaching empathy by example. Dodge City is just a bland book about Dodge Ball.

I got no sense of a
Laura (bbliophile)
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oooh I really liked this! Honestly, there hasn't been a sport-focused comic I haven't liked, what's up with that? I normally never like reading about sports
Gary Butler
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
83rd book read in 2018.

Number 411 out of 743 on my all time book list.

Ground work laid for some complex character profiles in the next volume.
Ryan
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Graphic novels and comic books are some of the most personal mediums out there. The combination of writing and images can invoke so many more feelings than just writing in many ways. This is why I’m stunned at how graphic stories are at the forefront of diversity and inclusion in media today. In “Dodge City” we have characters of different ethnic backgrounds or races, queer characters, even a differently abled character where his deafness is incorporated logically into the story with text messag ...more
Hannah Collins
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt, poc
Cute, good art.
Soph
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wlw, mlm, poc-mc, sport, deaf-mc
Please write more, I need more of this brilliant group.
Dakota Morgan
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Lots of teenage drama and poorly illustrated dodgeball action. Solid representation, which is always important, but the characters are severely underdeveloped. I guess with only four issues here, and most of those issues devoted to dodgeball, it's tough to get to know anyone. Follows in the footsteps of all the other Boom Box sports titles like Slam and Fence: brightly colored, noisy, not a lot under the hood.
Arnela
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This rating is more indulgent than usual. Even though I do rate books on how well I enjoyed them compared to are they well written, hows the plot, how are the characters yada yada, this one is more pure enjoyment on my part [pushing it up to a 4 instead of a 2.5].

Art: Art is good, there's a lot of individuality in designs. I love the colors and the faces they pull.

Characters: I love all of these idiots, yeah they mess up, yeah they're kinda dumb, but they're trying, and they're precious.

My only
Courtney Rose
Dodge City is a teen graphic novel that centers around a dodgeball team made up of misfits and outcasts. Tomas is new in town and joins the Jazz Pandas in the hope of feeling less lonely and making some friends, but grossly underestimates the highs, lows and intense drama of being on a team. The story follows Tomas making the team and making friends, as well as his first dodgeball tournament as part of the Jazz Pandas.

This was a super quick read that I liked, but I honestly wished I liked it bet
Aleksandra
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was so cute and entertaining!

Dodge City is 4 issue/chapter comic about dodgeball team Jazz Pandas and their new team member Tomas. We follow their training, couple of games in the championship and a bit of personal drama happening in the private life. The characters are diverse (many characters of color, f/f side romance, different maybe-future m/m romances), the characters have memorable designs and vivid personalities.

It's clear that the creators were inspired by sports anime/manga. Dodge
Rian *fire and books*
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Murphy
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a very energetic and engaging series with characters that were easy to grow attached to, and I would love to read more about them and the aspects of their life away from dodgeball that were only briefly touched upon so far.

My only compliant is in regards to Huck's place in the series, almost all of his hearing friends were uninterested in communicating with him when they didn't deem it to be useful or necessary, which made them seem rather callous. I was relieved their inconsiderate beh
Heather
Jul 13, 2019 rated it liked it
So this is a bit more adorable queer comic wish fulfillment than it is a tightly plotted novel. New kid Tomas joins a dodgeball team to make friends and discovers an intense world akin to roller derby,entirely populated by teens. The Jazz Pandas are on a solid losing streak thanks to the defection of several players after their cheating scandal the previous year.

A lot of the relationships confuse me. Chase is semi-ignored by their teammates and seems way happy when people actually listen to the
Jason McKinney
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Although Dodge City does have some heart and some vibrant, splashy colors that definitely appeal to the eye, the plot is kind of dullsville. It's about, and only about, dodgeball. The storyline never moves away from there and everything we learn about the characters basically happens on the court. The characters aren't exactly one dimensional but they're not very deep either. Things pick up in Parts #3 and #4 when the Jazz Pandas make it to the big tournament, but even then I wasn't ever more th ...more
Bianca
Sadly not for me, I couldn't finish.

All of the character setups were too much for me, I felt like I was getting hit over the head with all of the very deliberate shows of diversity. Like. I'm glad? But also I wish it felt less like an after school special from 1991.
I also didn't love the storytelling style in general, the visuals left me feeling very harried and ultimately that's why I stopped reading this one. Might be good for manga fans though, the artwork on each page is very active.
Sammy
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was cute! Nothing spectacular but I enjoyed the first four issues and I think it’s biggest strength is how gorgeous the art is! I was probably more engrossed in the art over the story but I’ll continue reading it! I do wish they had a translation somewhere for the conversations in Spanish though :(
Diana
Nov 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Love the art and color, but it felt way too truncated and fast, like, there should have been more meat to it and more time passing. It just blew by, and we got some glimpses at who the characters are, but it was so quick it was jarring, and I didn’t get to feel attached to or invested in the characters.
Rebecca
Mar 11, 2019 rated it liked it
I think the brightest spot in this was having a deaf character that I didn't hate. I liked Huck. Even though he's pretty background, he feels honest and I wanted more from him. And I like how Tomas learns some sign to include him and that we also get to see Chase attempting to learn some sign too.
Stephanie Cooke
Jan 02, 2019 rated it liked it
It’s a little flimsy on the story but the characters are a lot of fun and really inclusive. I super loved Huck and how the creative team integrated a deaf character into the book. Cara’s art is superb and is definitely the best part of Dodge City.
Sesana
Dec 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
It's cute, and I'd definitely read more, but it's also a little shallow. The characters aren't nearly as vivid as they should be, which is what separates a nice, fun book like this from a really good one like Check Please.
Alyssa
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
The artwork in DODGE CITY is absolutely gorgeous and so, so much fun. I also love the diversity in the characters. But the story fell really flat for me in terms of pacing, stakes, and character development.
Rebecca Ann
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels, teen
I was pleasantly surprised by how much I loved this graphic novel. As someone who was hit in the face during gym dodgeball many a time, I really relate to the new captains sense of fear. The characters are diverse and often hilarious. The artwork is gorgeous, it really draws me in!
Jill Guccini
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
This new Boom!Box comic about a dodgeball team is super cute and fun! Looking forward to reading more and learning more about these characters.
Amanda
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was really cute! The plot seemed to get lost a few times but the characters were great.
Jen
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
There's so much going on in this skinny little book! Such great representation and a fun, sporty story. Would love to read more of this series.
Grant
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt, graphic-novels
Wonderfully queer and wonderfully diverse!

If you like dodge ball, queer characters, fun and light-hearted text, and a bright art style: read this book.
Kit Feral
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it
I don't feel there was enough characterization (which sucks because everyone seemed so diverse and cute as hell) but it's a good start. Even though I hate dodgeball haha
Kathryn Kania
May 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, queer, ya
Pretty basic and a story just starting, more of a prologue than a full story but still very cute, diverse, and fun.

Dodge City (5 books)