Start by marking “Monsters” as Want to Read:
Monsters

Monsters

(The Reckoner #2)

Cole Harper is struggling to settle into life in Wounded Sky First Nation. He may have stopped a serial killer but the trouble is far from over. A creature lurks in the shadows of Blackwood Forest, the health clinic is on lockdown by a mysterious organization, and long-held secrets threaten to bubble to the surface. Can Cole learn the truth about his father's death? Why ...more
Published October 1st 2018 by HighWater Press

To ask other readers questions about Monsters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monsters

Start your review of Monsters
Kathie
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Talk about a book that you can’t put down! I flew through MONSTERS because I couldn’t wait to see what was going to happen next to Cole. I guarantee this story will keep you on the edge of your seat until the very end. Book 3 can’t come soon enough!!
Aaron
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am really still processing the end of this book and shouldn't be writing a review, but I can always edit it later so here goes. Book two in a series is always hard. To read and probably to write (I couldn't say for sure but it seems obvious).
I started this book knowing that even though Cole has been through so much, that there would be a lot more to come. Surely, Choch and Mr. Robertson will put him through hell in a second book. How does one face the Monsters in one's life? It can be tough
Enid Wray
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
And just like with Strangers he has me hooked from page 1. The Prologue. Wow. The tension. The fear. He had me by the seat of my pants - and I was in my nightgown!! I can see the film version of this already in my head…

Things to like about this book:
The writing: is sublime… he packs so much into so little - be it character, or plot, or simply gorgeous descriptive passages;
Indigenous ‘Creatures’: Choch; Upayokwitigo;
Mental Health;
Humour;
Characters: Cole… and his supernatural powers (p85)... yet
Colinda Clyne
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great finish to this YA trilogy.
Marie
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cole is trying to settle back into life in Wounded Sky First Nation. He left years ago after being involved in helping to catch a serial killer. Still so many problems just being in school which is never an easy thing. There is a threatening creature that lives in the Blackwood Forest and it is a danger and needs to captured., The clinic is mysteriously shut down and no one will say why and so many secrets that have been kept private are about to come out. Will Cole learn the truth about his ...more
J.L. Slipak
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cole Harper is struggling to settle into life in Wounded Sky First Nation. He may have stopped a serial killer but the trouble is far from over. A creature lurks in the shadows of Blackwood Forest, the health clinic is on lockdown by a mysterious organization, and long-held secrets threaten to bubble to the surface. Can Cole learn the truth about his father’s death? Why won’t Choch give him a straight answer? Where the heck is Jayne? Oh, and high school sucks.
Monsters is the second novel in
Nannette Demmler
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow, the ending of this book is something that I was not at all expecting. It will be very interesting to see where the story goes from here. While this one is a continuation of the story from the first book, it is really about Cole facing his monsters both real and the ones he faces everyday within himself. Cole suffers from anxiety and a lot of what happens to him is because of this. He often reacts to situations with out thinking and then suffers the consequences.

Cole continues his quest to
Anita Daher
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this novel, the second in the series, before the first. I was just too excited after hearing about it at the launch! Thoroughly enjoyed the story and this likeable, flawed, easily relatable main character. Though there were hugely significant happenings in the first that play heavily in the second, I was mostly able to figure out what I'd missed in context. Now I will read the first! Then the third :-) I loved the dichotomy of both care and judgement within this isolated, close-knit ...more
Barb
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can hardly wait for Ghosts and I want to go back and reread Strangers. I love how the ending leads into the third book in the trilogy.

Cole is such a great flawed character! I feel such empathy for him and feel really sad that he has to deal with so much hardship. His experiences made me open my mind to the mental health issues many experience, especially our youth. I think I have learned much about anxiety from both books.

Readers will want to finish the book quickly because you constantly
Barbara McEwen
Feb 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Pretty solid book 2 in the trilogy. There is a lot going on here between Cole's past, his relationships, his mental health, and all the crazy mysteries he has to solve. At times it feels a bit messy? But I guess that is true to life. I am still interested in what is going to happen and love the supernatural elements of the story that make it unique.
This is the second of the trilogy and of course, Cole is facing everything horrible that can be thrown at him.

There is something bad out there, and he is determined to find out what it is.

The boogyman is real.

As are ghosts.

It is a wild ride.

Now, on to book 3.
Michelle
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! The last 20 pages made me sit on the edge of my seat. I couldn’t believe the ending, so so good! I also greatly appreciated the author’s, and Choch’s, messages to the reader. I receive a copy of the ARC from Book Portage in exchange for a review.
Jenna (Falling Letters)
This is an awesome read! Enjoyed it even more than book one. Read it in just about one sitting and am now eagerly anticipating the final book...
Jennifer Paquette
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this one better than the first, but it's pretty much just build up for the third novel. As with the first very much enjoyed the Indigenous storytelling at work here. The second book peaked my interest more than the first in so far as now I'm invested and want to know what happens next for these characters.
adventure, mystery
Ellen Bees
Nov 04, 2018
Stephanie
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Captivating, funny, suspenseful, heartbreaking, and amazing. In Monsters, book two of The Reckoner series, Cole remains in Wounded Sky First Nation, not having completed the task set before him by Choch, friendly neighbourhood spirit and smart a** guide. Cole continues to seek the truth about what happened ten years ago when he lost both his parents under mysterious circumstances. He also continues to seek the truth about the current problems affecting Wounded Sky First Nation. Although the ...more
Jennifer Griffioen

• Synchro Boy
  • The Field Guide to the North American Teenager
  • Fire Song
  • The Beauty of the Moment
David A. Robertson is an award-winning writer. His books include When We Were Alone (Governor General's Literary Award winner, McNally Robinson Best Book For Young People winner, TD Canadian Children’s Literature Award finalist), Will I See? (winner Manuela Dias Book Design and Illustration Award Graphic Novel Category), and the YA novel Strangers. David educates as well as entertains through his ...more

The Reckoner (3 books)
  • Strangers (The Reckoner, #1)
  • Ghosts