Start by marking “Red River Resistance (A Girl Called Echo, #2)” as Want to Read:
Red River Resistance (A Girl Called Echo, #2)

Red River Resistance

(A Girl Called Echo #2)

Echo Desjardins is adjusting to her new home, finding friends, and learning about Métis history. She just can’t stop slipping back and forth in time. One ordinary afternoon in class, Echo finds herself transported to the banks of the Red River in the summer of 1869. All is not well in the territory as Canadian surveyors have arrived to change the face of territory, and Mét ...more
Published March 1st 2019 by HighWater Press

To ask other readers questions about Red River Resistance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red River Resistance

Start your review of Red River Resistance (A Girl Called Echo, #2)
Jane
Red River Resistance is a graphic novel that introduces the reader to some Métis history, specifically the events surrounding the Red River Resistance. We follow Echo, a girl in present time who seems to time travel through her dreams (both the night and day sort) to land in 1869.

Back in time, Echo sees the the Métis farming families, who have lived for generations along the Red River, struggle to be recognized after their land is sold out from under them. She witnesses the initial peaceful
Dave Schaafsma
A Girl Called Echo comics series is a middle grades tale of Echo Desjardins, a Métis 14-year-old in a new home, learning about Métis history, the tale written by a Métis author as part of a First Peoples (#OurVoices) series. In the first volume Echo sort of time-travels (through dreams, mainly) to the late nineteenth-century, to the Red River in the summer of 1869, a time of resistance to Canada Firsters (yes, they actually called themselves that, I’m not poking at Trump’s America First approach ...more
Erin
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, netgalley
A graphic novel series that is a good addition to any classroom. Picking up where Volume One left off, Echo finds herself transported to the past in the time of Louis Riel, when the Canadian government send the HBC out and forced the Metis from their land. In the present day, Echo continues to adjust to life without her mother and finding how she fits in at school.
Thanks to Netgalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review
In California, where I went to school, we were taught about the missions and missionaries that came in and enslaved the local native peoples. (Of course, when I went to school, that was not how it was taught). When I was growing up, we would then build little replicas of the missions, and visit them, and that was the part of California history we learned about.

And when we studied American history, we heard, a little, about native resistance, but mostly we focused on "westward expansion". If we
Lizzy (Bent Bookworm)
~*Check out my blog at The Bent Bookworm!*~

Please note: this is the second in a series, and it would probably be good to link the first one to it somehow: Pemmican Wars.

Red River Resistance is a graphic novel taking place through the eyes of a 13-year-old girl, Echo who time travels between events in the Red River area of Canada in 1869-1870. Not being Canadian, I was not familiar with the history at ALL and so greatly appreciated the timeline in the back of the book!

The story portrays the injus
Elizabeth A
May 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019, graphix, kids-ya
My review for the first two volumes of this series can be found here:
Etienne
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
2,5/5. Didn't get into it! Too far from my reality and my liking in comic. Not necessarily bad, but definitely not for me! Again, probably more personal preference then a problem with the comic itself! ...more
Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺
I'm not the biggest fan of graphic novels in general, but this sure seems a good way to teach youth about Canadian history. There is a lot of rich information in here from the narrative and illustrations to a timeline and other facts at the end. ...more
Josie
Dec 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
The art? Gorgeous. The story? Incredible. On top of that - learning a lot about Louis Riel, the Northwest Resistance, and treaties. Two thumbs up 👍🏼👍🏼
J.A. Ironside
ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

Echo Desjardins is getting used to a new home and school after losing her mother. During history class one day, she finds herself transported back in time to 1860-70s Riel where Canadian immigrants are settling Red River Colony. This is the second graphic novel in a series and apparently follows straight on so I may have missed something!

However it was a quick, light read introducing a period of history I knew nothing about. I imagine it'
Rod Brown
Feb 07, 2021 rated it liked it
A Métis teen named Echo still finds herself unstuck in time, bouncing between her history class in the present day and the Red River Resistance (or "Rebellion") of 1869. English-speaking Protestants and French-speaking Catholic Métis led by Louis Riel clash over the terms by which Manitoba will become a province in the new Canadian Confederation. A lot of events and characters are introduced in a few pages, but a timeline of events in the back helps keep everything straight.

In the present day, t
Karl
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vermette is a gem of a writer. I love her forray into graphic novels. Henderson is undoubtably the premiere Canadian illustrator for High Water Press’s Line of Indigenous graphic novels. A great creative team.
Molly
I think this volume is stronger than the first one, and it starts to get more deeply into some history of Canada's indigenous peoples. ...more
laurel [the suspected bibliophile]
Kindred meets Canadian Aboriginal history as Echo slips back and forth between time from present day Winnipeg to the Red River Valley, where she observes the annexation of the Red River Colony into Canada and the fight of the Métis to ensure their say in their government.

Knowing absolutely nothing about Canadian history and less than that about Aboriginal Canadian history, this was fairly confusing—but it was laid out clearly.

So, having not read the first book in the series, Pemmican Wars, all
Kirsten
I like this even more than the first one! These books are an effective way of teaching about Metis history, and are also an affecting story about a young Metis girl in the modern era.
Kayleigh Kehoe ♡
wordpresstumblrinstagramtwitter
_____________________________

Honestly, I'm a bit of a graphic novel amateur, but I want this year to be all about trying new things and broadening my life prospects, so here we are.

Red River Resistance is the second installation in the A Girl Called Echo series. It follows the 1869 Red River Rebellion that resulted in the establishment of a provisional government by the Métis leader, Louis Riel.

Echo Desjardins, who would otherwise be an ordinary s
Elizabeth
2018 Review:

I absolutely loved Pemmican Wars, the first book in the A Girl Called Echo series. I am thrilled to be saying that Red River Resistance has absolutely lived up to my expectations.

Katherena Vermette has woven a beautiful story that blends together the everyday life of a lonely teenage Metis girl in Manitoba with the history of the Metis in that area. Echo is an incredibly relatable character that I think many teens would see themselves in. I moved around a lot as a teen and dealt wit
MeggieBree
Mar 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I like this one for the history of the Métis, but I found the story lacking. I wish that the whole series had been released at the same time, I feel like it would have felt less disjointed.
Laura (ローラ)
This title is an absolute must for any school library or public library in Canada. With the 150th anniversary of the Red River resistance occurring in 2019, and the major focus of the Canadian government on reconciliation, this comic couldn't have come at a better time. I am so pleased to be finding so many new comics and graphic novels by indigenous creators, and the fact that is title focuses on Métis history is fantastic!

This title is the second in a series about a young Métis girl, Echo, wh
Malcolm
Echo’s time travelling engagements with her Métis past continue in history class, shifting in this episode from the struggles against corporate colonisation to the 1860s and the push of state sponsored settlement and the newly unified singular colonial government. This is the resistance at Red River (around present day Winnipeg) to settler and government efforts to drive out the Métis. We see efforts to build state-like structures through elected assemblies, constitutional development, instituti ...more
Casey Lyall
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was sent a copy of this book by the publisher for review and I'm happy they did. I'm so pleased to be introduced to this series. I haven't read the first one yet, but I'm going to fix that soon enough.

Despite the fact that I jumped in at book two, I was still able to pick up the thread of Echo's story. As Echo travelled back in time through her dreams, I found myself wanting to learn just as much about the past as I did her present. This book presented history, specifically the story of the R
Mary Bronson
I really enjoyed the first volume of A Girl Called Echo and when my local library got the second volume in I knew I had to check it out. This is such a great story about a young girl called Echo who is learning a lot about her heritage and for some reason when she is studying History when she falls asleep she gets transported back during the time she is studying and she gets a first hand experience about what it was like. I never heard of the Red River Resistance before and after reading this I ...more
Jesse
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the idea of these, but I always feel lost in the story. I can’t keep track of who’s on what side and how the events cause each other. I need more framework, and some additional info on Echo would also be appreciated! (I saw that little nod to Gilmore Girls, Scott B. Henderson; I’m on to you!)
Joseph Angel
“Red River Resistance: A Girl Called Echo Vol. 2” by Katherena Vermette, Scott Henderson, and Donovan Yaciuk is a graphic novel published in 2018 that has won several awards including being on the list of: The Best Canadian comics of 2018. I accessed the softcover version of this text and highly recommend it.

The graphic novel follows Echo as she begins at a new school, is making new friends, and is learning about the history of the Metis people. In the book, Echo seemingly ‘transports’ back in t
Cassandra Fay
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Metis history makes me so sad. There's so much we don't learn in history class, so many people that don't get to learn the history of their own people. ...more
Selina Young
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More great illustrating. Excellent historical references throughout plus info at the end of the graphic novel. Loved the combo/connection of current and past on the story telling.
Bertine
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel
I read this and the one before to my six year old daughter. It was like reading a Wikipedia article with pictures.
Kevin
Jan 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Okay, so I didn't bawl my eyes out with this one the way I did after reading vol.1 "The Pemmican Wars." But that was more about where I was emotionally at the time.

As far as this book goes, excellent read. I highly recommend it if you have only 15 mins or so to spare.

If it sparks your curiosity then perhaps read more about Canada's reaction to this signal moment in the fight for Indigenous rights here:

Child960801
Feb 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The second book in this series. In this one, Echo's time slips/visions have moved forward to the year 1869 and focus on the Red River Resistance. Again, I really liked the timeline in the back because I didn't know anything about all this and it really helped clarify what was happening. We also see that Echo is starting to make friends in the present day and seems a little more confident in herself and her identity. ...more
Beck
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for an ARC in exchange for an honest review

Unfortunately I really didn't get on with this one. The premise seems to be a kind of "kindred (by Octavia E Butler) but in Canada with indigenous people" and that's a really great premise and it's a really interesting way of looking at events in history but the way that was done here just didn't work for me.

This is the 2nd book in the series (the first book is also under 50 pages so calling it a book is a stretch,
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• From the Roots Up (Surviving the City, #2)
  • Surviving the City (Surviving the City, #1)
  • This Place: 150 Years Retold
  • Sugar Falls: A Residential School Story
  • Will I See?
  • The Outside Circle: A Graphic Novel
  • The Barren Grounds (The Misewa Saga, #1)
  • If I Go Missing
  • 7 Generations: A Plains Cree Saga (7 Generations #1-4)
  • Betty: The Helen Betty Osborne Story
  • After the Rain
  • Secret Path
  • Juliet Takes a Breath: The Graphic Novel
  • Black Water
  • Snapdragon
  • Talking to Strangers: A Memoir of My Escape from a Cult
  • Black AF: America's Sweetheart
  • Blanket Toss Under Midnight Sun:  Portraits of Everyday Life in Eight Indigenous Communities
Katherena Vermette is a Canadian writer, who won the Governor General's Award for English-language poetry in 2013 for her collection North End Love Songs. Vermette is of Metis descent and from Winnipeg, Manitoba. She was a MFA student in creative writing at the University of British Columbia.

Her children's picture book series The Seven Teachings Stories was published by Portage and Main Press in 2

A Girl Called Echo (4 books)
  • Pemmican Wars (A Girl Called Echo)
  • Northwest Resistance
  • Road Allowance Era

News & Interviews

Jordan Morris is a comedy writer and podcaster whose credits include @Midnight, Unikitty! and Earth to Ned.  The sci-fi comedy Bubble is his...